• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlanta |OT| Donald Glover's New Show For FX - Tuesdays 10/9c

Kickz

Man ep 3 was amazing, this show does not stop.

Only shame it has is being half an hour in this era of 1hour shows

Dereck

Man ep 3 was amazing, this show does not stop.

Only shame it has is being half an hour in this era of 1hour shows
Face it, we're just greedy brehs.

I have a thought that if this show was an hour long it would overstay it's welcome and have filler

Mariolee

So does Donald have a leftward sloping penis? A slightly droopy eye? Every man has to be imperfect somehow.

In terms of rap notoriety, he's still seen as corny to the community with reviewers somewhat liking BTI but not liking his last mixtape STD MTN as far as I remember. I also sorta felt bad that his protege Chance the Rapper ended up being more famous than Donald in the rap game and is now working with Kanye, Jay Z, Lil Wayne, etc.

Other than that though he's pretty much perfect.

Alpende

Wait, I missed what happened in the end with the drug deal. Were they able to open the case but not the handcuffs?

I really liked that moment. They set it up as a cliché moment where you might think they'd go the 'chop off his hand' route but they didn't. Granted, a scene like that is kind of out of place in a show like this but still. The off hand remark of them just getting the suitcase open and taking the money while the guy keeps his suitcase worked well.

Really messin' with this show all around. Great music too.

Had a good argument with a friend last night about the whole 30 mins vs an hour thing. He was confused that they didn't show the shoot out/aftermath, of ep 1 and transitioned straight to them being in jail in ep 2. "It's not The Night Of my dude..."

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
This show is too fucking good. If it keeps up it will probably end up as my show of the year.

I'm on the side that likes that the episodes are half an hour long.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
D: Man, I ain't scared of nothing. I got Daddy right here.
PB: You call your gun "Daddy"?
D: Yes.
PB: That's weird, man.
D: Is it weird when your girl call you "Daddy"?
PB: Man, that's completely different, and yes, yes. It is.
D: All right, what about Papi? I know you ain't got no problem with Papi.
PB: Man, Papi, that's like... cultural.
D: Oh. Oh, okay. Because it's Spanish, now all the sudden, it's sexy.
PB: Look, that shit always creepy. Man, if a bitch called me "Daddy," man, something wrong happened. Real talk.
D: Yo, you not gonna see this, but your assumed perversion of the word "Daddy," I think that's stemming from the fear of mortality, man. What you call your gun?
PB: Nigga, gun.

So good :lol

Nice touch that later at the drug deal the rifle was called "Percy".

Numb

D: Man, I ain't scared of nothing. I got Daddy right here.
PB: You call your gun "Daddy"?
D: Yes.
PB: That's weird, man.
D: Is it weird when your girl call you "Daddy"?
PB: Man, that's completely different, and yes, yes. It is.
D: All right, what about Papi? I know you ain't got no problem with Papi.
PB: Man, Papi, that's like... cultural.
D: Oh. Oh, okay. Because it's Spanish, now all the sudden, it's sexy.
PB: Look, that shit always creepy. Man, if a bitch called me "Daddy," man, something wrong happened. Real talk.
D: Yo, you not gonna see this, but your assumed perversion of the word "Daddy," I think that's stemming from the fear of mortality, man. What you call your gun?
PB: Nigga, gun.

So good :lol

Nice touch that later at the drug deal the rifle was called "Percy".

Show is golden
Damn

Dereck

zLwkEiR.png

big ander

I also sorta felt bad that his protege Chance the Rapper ended up being more famous than Donald in the rap game and is now working with Kanye, Jay Z, Lil Wayne, etc.

...uh, nah.

Glover put Chance on as an opening act for some shows and on a feature for a shitty mixtape. That doesn't make him Chance's mentor. Chance was already a Chicago celeb at that point and working on a record that dwarfs anything with the Gambino name on it

You shouldn't feel bad that an immensely more talented musician found success where Glover didn't. You should feel good, hopefully events like that helped Glover to realize shit like Atlanta is where he belongs.

Ivan 3414

Lmao, anyone notice Darius was dressed like a 70s hustler for no apparent reason during the drug deal

You can tell these dudes ain't about that life

You shouldn't feel bad that an immensely more talented musician found success where Glover didn't. You should feel good, hopefully events like that helped Glover to realize shit like Atlanta is where he belongs.

What is this stan shit I'm reading lol

Mariolee

...uh, nah.

Glover put Chance on as an opening act for some shows and on a feature for a shitty mixtape. That doesn't make him Chance's mentor. Chance was already a Chicago celeb at that point and working on a record that dwarfs anything with the Gambino name on it

lol gtfo here. Literally a quote from Chance while touring:

"I fuck with Donald Glover, he’s one of my favorite people I’ve worked with so far. He’s a super dope mentor...It was super dope workin’ with the nigga. He’s definitely like a big brother. I fuck with him tough. He showed me a lot of shit. We’ve been working together since we did the tour."

source:
http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2012/09/...ambino-cosign-signing-to-caa-and-new-mixtape/

big ander

^from four years back, means nothing. You can't credibly think Gambino's music has anything to do with where Chance is at now
Lmao, anyone notice Darius was dressed like a 70s hustler for no apparent reason during the drug deal

You can tell these dudes ain't about that life

What is this stan shit I'm reading lol

lmao not even—I think Chance is hit-or-miss, Coloring Book's good but a mixed bag, overall he's at least got his own sound even if he puts it to lame stuff sometimes and he seems like he's got a lot ahead of him.
It's less that I'm about Chance and more that Gambino is a terrible awful musician and Glover is a very good writer and actor, and I think the fawning over every aspect of him (e.g. claiming his disposable work is responsible for other musicians, speculating on his dick...what some might call "stan shit") distracts from his actual talent

^from four years back, means nothing. You can't credibly think Gambino's music has anything to do with where Chance is at now

lmao not even—I think Chance is hit-or-miss, Coloring Book's good but a mixed bag, overall he's at least got his own sound even if he puts it to lame stuff sometimes and he seems like he's got a lot ahead of him.
It's less that I'm about Chance and more that Gambino is a terrible awful musician and Glover is a very good writer and actor, and I think the fawning over every aspect of him (e.g. claiming his disposable work is responsible for other musicians, speculating on his dick...what some might call "stan shit") distracts from his actual talent

Woah there I mean if you don't like his rapping fine everyone has opinions. But to call him a terrible awful musician is pretty far fetched. Seeing he had a lot of success with his music says otherwise.

Woah there I mean if you don't like his rapping fine everyone has opinions. But to call him a terrible awful musician is pretty far fetched. Seeing he had a lot of success with his music says otherwise.

People inextricably hate on Gambino. I bet a whole bunch of people think like the dude in the chicken place, even if they don't admit to it

IDK, Gambino has some pretty hot bars.

I don't see how Childish was a mentor of Chance either. I feel like Chance was just being nice like how any young person would say about an older person. Donald is like 30 something isn't he lol.

Mariolee

Haha okay buddy. I'll just trust what Chance actually said instead of his stans putting words in his mouth.

Soooo

Let's talk about how hilarious yet familiar/uncomfortable the restaurant scene was.

That shit was too real. The moment where he just goes off on the waiter was cathartic.

Finally caught up with this. Instant favorite show on tv right now. This shit is wayyyyyyyyy too good. Nice to see Glover channel his past life as Troy in this last episode, his facial reactions are still on point.

Murai got me jealous :(

People inextricably hate on Gambino. I bet a whole bunch of people think like the dude in the chicken place, even if they don't admit to it

Lol ander ain't that guy. And honestly I love Drake and Young Thug and shit so I'm not really vibing with what that dusthead character in the episode was saying either.

But I also think gambino has made pretty bad music. And yeah I listened to the Internet album, it wasn't good.

He's making wise choices with the sound of this show too. I was kinda worried he'd be plugging his own stuff in (as he has every right to of course) but instead I'm getting a lot of atlanta/trap sound in here. Paperboy sounds like most trap rappers right now. Heard some Migos and Kodak Black too in the episodes

ZeroX03

Banned
Third episode was awesome, Earn's scenes were hilarious, depressing and cringe in one.

Never encountered kids meals only for kids before.

Some of the stuff in the woods was a little lost on me.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Third episode was awesome, Earn's scenes were hilarious, depressing and cringe in one.

Never encountered kids meals only for kids before.

Some of the stuff in the woods was a little lost on me.

Some restaurants are super militant about the kids menu thing. I was on a casual date a long ass time ago and she tried to get something off the kid's menu cause she had a bird stomach. I'm like alright, cheaper meal that's cool with me. They didn't let her do it, said you literally had to have the child with you. I don't know why a to-go place would give a fuck though.

They need to do a scene about movie theaters literally checking people's bag for snacks. That happened to me last year. lol.

Slayven

Some restaurants are super militant about the kids menu thing. I was on a casual date a long ass time ago and she tried to get something off the kid's menu cause she had a bird stomach. I'm like alright, cheaper meal that's cool with me. They didn't let her do it, said you literally had to have the child with you. I don't know why a to-go place would give a fuck though.

They need to do a scene about movie theaters literally checking people's bag for snacks. That happened to me last year. lol.

And sometimes it is folks on a power grip.

Aizo

Banned
Glover continues to impress me. When I was a kid, my friends and I were obsessed with DerrickComedy. Fast forward 10 years later, and I'm still enjoying what he's doing. He's grown up a lot.

Damn good show. Just watched episode 3 tonight. I'm rarely interested in TV, and this is the only show I've watched while airing in over a year. Looking forward to the next one.

IronRinn

Latest episode was great. Fucking loved Vanessa's reaction after that heartfelt speech by Earn. So many funny scenes in this one, which have already been quoted, but I especially liked the cut from them saying they can take care of the handcuff problem to the obviously simple solution. A classic setup and punchline but they had created such an atmosphere of tension and dread that it worked beautifully.

I am really enjoying this show.

Negaduck

Just had to pop in and echo most people's opinions. This show is so good. Love every episode so far. Darius is hilarious.

Even the commercials blow me away. The one shot backwards to look like he's putting flyers on people's car windshields is so well done.

FStop7

Banned
I like the show a lot but I'm starting not to like Earn. He's kind of an asshole.

I'm a lot more interested in Paper Boi and Darius. Watching PB coming to terms with his growing fame is going to be amazing if the writing stays this good.

Top Bottom