• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlanta |OT| Donald Glover's New Show For FX - Tuesdays 10/9c

aku:jiki

Darius has the best lines.

"Everything's made up. Stay woke."

"We friends now. :)"

Didn't really think Zan was all that funny. I thought that if they were gonna satirize youtube, they should've made fun of those "prank goes sexual in the hood" fools.

FStop7

Banned
"Breakfast cup."
"You made that up."
"Everything's made up stay woke."

Probably my favorite banter on the show yet.

Zan casually pulling out another baseball cap killed me, too.

vypek

I'm really hoping that my boss won't call me into his office or that people are watching my browser history lol

Darius has the best lines.

"Everything's made up. Stay woke."

"We friends now. :)"

Didn't really think Zan was all that funny. I thought that if they were gonna satirize youtube, they should've made fun of those "prank goes sexual in the hood" fools.

Darius really does have such great lines. And wtf at the bolded. I was curious at first but feel like I probably don't want to know

Nabs

Zan represents the modern hip-hop rumor reporter/meme poster on social media like DJ Akademiks. Most of them have weak ass content and feed off of the drama.

edit:

Think Zan was spoofing DJ Akademiks imo, YouTube culture in general though.

Yep.

FStop7

Banned
I liked the contrast between PB trying to talk down that kid with the toy gun from imitating him and the conversation with Zan in the car. You can tell he's feeling conflicted about glorifying "that life." But then PB gets "educated" by Zan, someone who unashamedly glorifies the glorifiers. Especially since Zan, who is a broke ass dude who delivers pizzas for a living, is trying to position himself as a gatekeeper who determines which rappers are "worthy" of his blessing on social media (and fame/wealth.)

You realize that all of this shit is probably the future of western society, since your career is going to define your social standing less and less as jobs become obsolete and instead you as an individual will be a "brand" and your day to day life will be shared with the world and evaluated. And people are going to set themselves up as one man juries as to who is or isn't worthy of attention.

Zan is 100% an Anthony Fantano parody.

Lol no. He's like the living embodiment of "Black Twitter" and just the whole social media movement. The type of brehs that would push their own mother off a ledge to get a hot vine lol

Darius is the best. Everyone needs a Darius in their friend group

Dereck

52SEcxs.gif

3XfDSAz.gif

calder

I really like this show, and have from the pilot. I was expecting it to be more of a half hour drama based on preview hype that seemed to be warning people it's not a sitcom almost too much but I've found it very funny from the start. Love how everyone in it is basically shown in a sympathetic light (well, maybe not the dude in the clean Charger, that's ominous!) and it's clear that the writers want to show almost everyone's point of view if they can. I also really like the unconventional directorial flourishes like the cinematography and unconventional editing, maybe that's what reviewers were talking about when saying it's "not really a sitcom".

"We're friends now" made me a bit emotional at the end there lol. And Alfred's reaction to the kid getting jacked by the guy who ordered pizza was perfect - disbelief, anger, about to get out then shock and disgust at realizing it's all for content. He may be the best character in a show with a so many already.

Edit: full disclosure, but I did not get that Migos joke AT ALL until i read the AVClub review the next day. Either that was a great, subtle joke that expected the audience to be paying full attention or I'm an idiot. Maybe both

calder

Goddamn, Zan cracked me up. I need a gif of him pulling another hat out of his pocket casually after getting his knocked off.
A great sight gag and it showed his character perfectly - this is a guy who not only carries some of his stupid merch around at all times but based on how casually he did it that was not the first time someone slapped the hat off his head lol

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
hilarious episode and it ended on such a nice note. i always feel like quoting the whole thing.

loving this show more and more. it feels super confident in what it's doing, and the mix of weird, funny and sad/touching is so on point ("twin peaks with rappers" was a good way to describe it, even if not 100% accurate). it also doesn't hurt that it's shot beautifully and has many interesting editing choices. hiro murai is doing an excellent job directing this.

aku:jiki

Did anyone else notice what they were actually playing in that korean gambling warehouse?

ycUil5p.png

Hardcore underground YuGiOh club, haaaaaaa

I like the understated bleakness to it all, hidden beneath the comical hijinks, like the entire prison sequence with Lee and the transwoman's lover, the dealing with Migos, and Alfred's confrontation with Zan in the pizza car.

ZeroX03

Banned
The hoverboard made Zan seem ghostly because it wasn't very obvious that he was gliding around. With that and the hats, very cool feel.

Hahaha thank you. Love the way he immediately starts going for his backup hat without missing a beat.

A great sight gag and it showed his character perfectly - this is a guy who not only carries some of his stupid merch around at all times but based on how casually he did it that was not the first time someone slapped the hat off his head lol

Yeah he knows what he is and owns up to it. As a result, nothing fazes him.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Show is awesome tbh - need that full lenght Paper Boy track though.

Not

Banned

so many things about this gif make me laugh. How the 1st hat just flies off his head, how Zan nonchalantly reaches for the 2nd hat but takes time to gesture with the pizza box first, Paper Boi's semi-delayed reaction to getting patted on the arm

Geist-

Shit, this show has been great from the start, but that was easily the best one yet. I did not think Darius was going to be the star of the show, but he has the best lines of every episode so far.

I didn't think I'd like Zan, but he grew on me at the end.

FStop7

Banned
so many things about this gif make me laugh. How the 1st hat just flies off his head, how Zan nonchalantly reaches for the 2nd hat but takes time to gesture with the pizza box first, Paper Boi's semi-delayed reaction to getting patted on the arm

Zan doesn't even blink when the hat gets swatted off his head. I wonder how many takes that took.

What was the chinese guy on the phone crying about?

"He's not Chinese."
"I'm not Chinese."

Vire

Just caught up on all the episodes and I love everything about this show. Especially the lightsaber parking guy.

masud

Banned
Last episode was the best one yet. When Zan told Al the kid was his business partner who he makes vines with I had to pause the show I was laughing so hard.

rizzo0

So I just did a marathon of this show from beginning to end yesterday and man if this keeps up it's easily one of the best shows of the year. So glad to hear this already getting a season 2!

Top Bottom