• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlanta |OT| Donald Glover's New Show For FX - Tuesdays 10/9c

IronRinn

All right, managed to watch it and fill in everything I missed. Excellent episode. The commercials were faaaantastic. Payoff for the Dodge Charger ad was great.

Oh my GOD that was the BEST episode of anything that I have watched in a long while. I'm going to have to rewatch it when I can.

I mean that one part of the BAN song that plays during the credits is very clearly the same as in The Eric Andre Show? Right?

The one that goes, duhh, do-doh doh doh doh. You know that one.
Yes, it is the same song that plays whenever they go on a commercial break for a skit.

tumblr_mwwesokaES1qemz6qo1_1280.jpg

barik

That was amazing, this show is not at all what I was expecting it to be but it's growing into something really creative and unpredictable.

vypek

I wonder if they are doing something similar to what the show Scrubs did by having episodes where not all the main characters shows up. I think Scrubs did it to save money and I first thought of this when they had an episode without Van in it. This time the only main character was Paper Boi. Curious if there will be an episode without him

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
US only as usual, but:

Call Ahmad White

Coconut Crunchos Cereal

https://twitter.com/R3troSp3ctro/status/786039231542075393
lol

I wonder if they are doing something similar to what the show Scrubs did by having episodes where not all the main characters shows up. I think Scrubs did it to save money and I first thought of this when they had an episode without Van in it. This time the only main character was Paper Boi. Curious if there will be an episode without him
They're definitely going for that. Here's what Hiro Murai had to say about the structure of the show:

People point to Atlanta and some other recent shows as changing our expectations of what TV can be and how it can be structured. You’ve been up-front about saying you’ve never done TV before, so I’m curious if you’ve been only looking at other nontraditional models, or if the more time-tested approaches of TV shows interest you at all.

Murai: The structural godfathers of this show are shows like Louie, and even Adventure Time, to an extent. I brought up Adventure Time a fair amount with Donald when we were working on the show because Adventure Time does a very strange thing where it’s very world-based. Sometimes the main characters won’t even appear in an episode and the story will sort of detour with some side character. It has a very meandering feel that I really like, and there’s something about that cadence that makes it more digestible, or you’re more willing to go with the flow.​

vypek

They're definitely going for that. Here's what Hiro Murai had to say about the structure of the show:

People point to Atlanta and some other recent shows as changing our expectations of what TV can be and how it can be structured. You’ve been up-front about saying you’ve never done TV before, so I’m curious if you’ve been only looking at other nontraditional models, or if the more time-tested approaches of TV shows interest you at all.

Murai: The structural godfathers of this show are shows like Louie, and even Adventure Time, to an extent. I brought up Adventure Time a fair amount with Donald when we were working on the show because Adventure Time does a very strange thing where it’s very world-based. Sometimes the main characters won’t even appear in an episode and the story will sort of detour with some side character. It has a very meandering feel that I really like, and there’s something about that cadence that makes it more digestible, or you’re more willing to go with the flow.​

Thats really awesome and thanks for the link

Mariolee

I also think it's easier for Donald to direct (like he did with the Van episode last week and the Paper Boi episode this week) when he's in the episode as little as possible.

Mindlog

I lost it when Paper lost it, but my favorite part of the episode might be that the brands were willing to let the show do what it did. You hear lots of stories about companies wanting to control or project a certain image so seeing them like this was as refreshing as the jokes themselves.

Con_Smith

Banned
As someone who spent the better half of 2016 saying I was trans-darkskin (long story) this episode was too on point.

"The price is on the can doe."

Mariolee

Knowing how much Harmon has had an influence on Donald, did anyone get huge Rick and Morty vibes from the cereal commercial? Specifically Rick and Morty's own Lucky Charms commercial.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
"What IPA do you have on tap?"

Holy shit, it's been a while since I've laughed this hard at an episode of anything. I don't know what this show is going to be week-to-week and I'm loving that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You know what's weird? The show started off as this kind of grounded thing with a shooting as the dramatic moment of the episode, and then it just got crazier and crazier as each subsequent episode aired. Who would have even imagined this episode 6 weeks ago?

You know what's weird? The show started off as this kind of grounded thing with a shooting as the dramatic moment of the episode, and then it just got crazier and crazier as each subsequent episode aired. Who would have even imagined this episode 6 weeks ago?
very louie-esque. Though Louie does far weirder shit.

Same network.

Helmholtz

I seem to be in the minority, but I was a lot more into the early stuff than the surrealist louie-esque stuff it's been trying to do lately. I'm personally disappointed with the direction the show has taken.

ryseing

I seem to be in the minority, but I was a lot more into the early stuff than the surrealist louie-esque stuff it's been trying to do lately. I'm personally disappointed with the direction the show has taken.

Donald described the show going in as having heavy Twin Peaks vibes. These past few episodes are earning that comparison.

I enjoy it but I can see why going in that direction is divisive.

I'll say that I was looking forward to more immersive show but I welcome the newer episodes. They are kind of getting off track because the first two episodes made me want to know how they were going to make it in the industry and now it seems like it's kind of on the back burner.

Dereck

It seems as though Donald is willing to sacrifice the possibility of his show being praised as something like "The Black Louie" by being more experimental with the episodes and throwing people off.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, given that Louie is basically making "female Louie", I guess I'm okay with the show going the extra step of being surreal and not fitting into any box.

That said, after black Beiber, I should have known. That was clearly the first sign. lol

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
This episode was so wild. I loved every minute of it though. I'm glad they're not doing the expected with this show.

Dominator

Last night I watched all 7 episodes so far. This show is amazing, and this weeks was the best. The whole thing was funny but I fucking LOST it at the dude who wants to be a older white man.

*clears throat*

"What IPA's do you have on tap?"

Oh my god I was crying.

I really loved how the transracial thing wrapped around at the end. If he thinks he's an older white man, then it's not far-fetched that he's against gay and trans rights. Some stuff was a little too on the nose and I didn't understand the whole Cigarillo commercial but overall an amazing episode. More shows need to be this experimental (and good).

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Last two episodes were great - but im ready for some Darius love again lol.

Blackhead

Redarse
I really loved how the transracial thing wrapped around at the end. If he thinks he's an older white man, then it's not far-fetched that he's against gay and trans rights. Some stuff was a little too on the nose and I didn't understand the whole Cigarillo commercial but overall an amazing episode. More shows need to be this experimental (and good).
being completely on the nose is the point
Swisher Sweets
Although Swisher Sweets are a tobacco product, it is estimated that as many as three-fourths of all Swisher Sweets bought are not used as intended. Instead, many people buy them as "wraps", or a receptacle for cannabis.

watch the commercial again... ;-)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I didn't understand the whole Cigarillo commercial but overall an amazing episode.
People buy them to cut them open and dump the tobacco and put weed in it instead. That's why at the end he pulls out the "pre-dumped" version. Didn't you notice the brick of weed on the coffee table?

Wow, what an amazing episode! When I saw the preview for it, I thought it'd be cool if the episode centered solely around this round table discussion. And they did exactly just that. The commercials, the "Trans-Racial" report, and the roundtable were all 10/10. Definitely my favorite episode.
With a very interesting commercial from Mr. Ahmad White...

Also a cool easter egg that im not sure has been posted was the "Free Statue Kids" on the Coconut Crunchos box.
Its from his comedy special "Wierdo" that I recommend you watch if you haven't.

Top Bottom