• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlanta |OT| Donald Glover's New Show For FX - Tuesdays 10/9c

Helmholtz

Didn't the sandwich dude run off into the woods from the bus in one of the first episodes? Not to mention the weird touches like the dude in the Batman mask. Or anything involving Darius.

It's been pretty weird from the start.
It's had weird moments but I feel like lately it's become clear they don't care much about progressing the story they had set up. At least not in any hurry.

-griffy-

Banned
It's had weird moments but I feel like lately it's become clear they don't care much about progressing the story they had set up. At least not in any hurry.

What is the story though? The show isn't just Earn's story, it's the story of Earn, Paper Boi, Darius and Van. It's the story of everyone on the show. Van losing her job last week is going to have major consequences to the ostensible "main" story with Earn, and this week furthered Paper Boi's climb to popularity and revealed more of his viewpoint on his life and position in the world. And ALL of it furthers the core thesis of the show, which is what the plot and story is really communicating.

"Wait, did you power up? 'Cause you look like Super Saiyan right now. Like, is that the Goku...You look like Felon DeGeneres..." 😂😂😂

Nabs

"You look like a dying palm tree... you look like the lost 5th Beatle that they just don't talk about."

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
so apparently the reason gambino hasnt really been on the last couple episodes and the next episode is because of his new baby?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
so apparently the reason gambino hasnt really been on the last couple episodes and the next episode is because of his new baby?
He directed both episodes, I think Earn didn't appear much mostly because of that.

Ultimadrago

I'm just catching up to this off of a recommendation and wow Episode 7 was fantastic. Just fantastic.

"No, only kids can have Coconut Crunchos. You know that!"

Laughing my ass off.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
14726320_1587670361528276_1946826366523539456_n.jpg

I feel hesitant to bring this up, as no one else in this thread has. As regards the last episodes handling of trans issues, it feels to me like some of these comparisons or jokes would be offensive to transgender persons. "Transracial" people, while treated as a joke, are also treated as serious by the transgender advocate on the talk show. Paperboi 100% refers to Kaitlyn Jenner as "He" multiple times and is blatantly transphobic, while the episode seems entirely on his side as he continues to riff on the other absurdities. There's other points but I probably can't remember exact details.

I'm not transgender, and I don't want to speak for anyone else. I want to understand why this is or isn't offensive. When I watched the episode, I thought I would be reading a ton of posts about these issues, but instead there are none. I want to know what I'm missing and understand the nuance here.

I feel hesitant to bring this up, as no one else in this thread has. As regards the last episodes handling of trans issues, it feels to me like some of these comparisons or jokes would be offensive to transgender persons. "Transracial" people, while treated as a joke, are also treated as serious by the transgender advocate on the talk show. Paperboi 100% refers to Kaitlyn Jenner as "He" multiple times and is blatantly transphobic, while the episode seems entirely on his side as he continues to riff on the other absurdities. There's other points but I probably can't remember exact details.

I'm not transgender, and I don't want to speak for anyone else. I want to understand why this is or isn't offensive. When I watched the episode, I thought I would be reading a ton of posts about these issues, but instead there are none. I want to know what I'm missing and understand the nuance here.

It's a comedy. South Park has gotten away with much worse.

ZOONAMI

The point of that whole talk show segment was Paper Boi explaining the lack of tolerance for black people and black men more specifically. There is extreme prejudice in our society against especially black men. I don't think the show needed to undermine trans issues as much as it did to make that point, but I appreciate them making the point.

The point of that whole talk show segment was Paper Boi explaining the lack of tolerance for black people and black men more specifically. There is extreme prejudice in our society against especially black men. I don't think the show needed to undermine trans issues as much as it did to make that point, but I appreciate them making the point.

Almost all of the trans people killed in the US are black. Any treatment of these two issues together that omits that fact isn't just undermining trans acceptance but is also actively failing to approach racism intersectionally.

Breads

Banned

There is a difference between making fun of transphobia and transphobic jokes.

ZOONAMI

Almost all of the trans people killed in the US are black. Any treatment of these two issues together that omits that fact isn't just undermining trans acceptance but is also actively failing to approach racism intersectionally.

Yeah ok I'm with you. The show took the wrong approach. It should still try to make meaningful social commentary but it shouldn't make such blunders while doing so, as it undermines anything they're trying to say and actively pushes the needle against trans people.

It's a comedy. South Park has gotten away with much worse.

Oh, I understand. It felt kind of like if the dolphin episode aired today(which Matt and Trey have since recognized as insensitive). That's why I'm unclear if standards of comedy have changed or if I am just missing something. This episode of Atlanta was mildy offensive to me(and I'm fine with content offending me) and my sensitivity training was on Neogaf. I figured there would be more discussion of it.

What I took away from it is that he could less about Katlin Jenner because he is too focused on getting out of his personal struggle. I believe at one point Paper boi said he doesn't have anything against transgenders.

Kyonashi

Yeah that episode was one of the funniest but equating transgender issues to that joke about the "transracial" guy was a misstep imo.

I get what the episode was trying to do by saying you shouldn't jump down people's throats about issues that have only come to the forefront fairly recently, but I don't think the episode handled it in the best way. It's still an issue that has a deep impact on real people and you gotta remember that.

Top Bottom