• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August NPD Top 10s

Alcibiades

jedimike said:
I don't get it...

To me, it looks like

This Year's Madden (August 2004)

PS2 MADDEN NFL 2005 1,112,588 = -300k over last years
XBX MADDEN NFL 2005 509,100 = +200k over last years

One can deduce that 200k jumped ship to Xbox from Sony and the other 100K went ESPN.

I think you can attribute the XBox sales to just normal y-o-y increases IMO, with the XBox becoming for mainstream and more consoles available this year that last year, of course some PS2'ers last year got it for XBox this year. Considering the effect live had on PGR2 and RSC2, I doubt Live made much of a difference.

BTW, you've got consider the Collector's edition too. Not everyone is buying 2 copies of Madden, some of them are buying just the collector's and opening it and playing it instead of getting the normal one...

Datawhore said:
Sorry - you're right.

Correction:

Last Year's Madden (August 2003)

System Title Aug-03
PS2 MADDEN NFL 2004 1445950
XBX MADDEN NFL 2004 309890

This Year's Madden (August 2004)
PS2 MADDEN NFL 2004 1,508,399
XBX MADDEN NFL 2005 509,100

Still, with the PS2 growth in installed base, you would expect Madden's sales to increase more than 4.3%, year over year. Xbox Madden grew 64% - the Xbox Live effect?

The majority in Madden growth in August is attributable to Xbox Madden sales.

I think that's a little simplistic. With numbers like 1.5 mil vs 1.4 mil, it's very hard to get substantial growth. It's absolutely amazing that they've still got so many people hooked. Plus with so many Xbox owners having to buy the PS2 version last year to get online, it's natural that those multiplatform owners would go back to the Xbox once it hit.

It actually sold more than I thought on PS2 and less that I expected on Xbox.

Hardware forecast:

PS 2: 210k
Xbox: 190k
GC: 100k
GBA: 400k

Top-10 software forecast (unit sales w/o GBA sales):

1. Madden 2005 (PS2) 1.4 million (CE + Regular)
2. Madden 2005 (Xbox) 600k
3. ESPN NFL 2k5 (PS2) 350k
4. ESPN NFL 2k5 (Xbox) 275k
5. Spider-Man 2 (PS2) 150k
6. NCAA 2005 (PS2) 135k
7. Halo (Xbox) 93k
8. Hot Shots Golf: Fore! (PS2) 90k
9. Rainbow Six: Black Arrow (Xbox) 80k
10. NCAA 2005 (Xbox) 70k

Eric-GCA

Banned
^^^
Yep, that makes me quite sad about the current market.

Still I'm still amazed how well Symphonia has done considering it got zero marketing from Namco or Nintendo. Hopefully, Baten Kaitos will do good since its at least getting some marketing by Nintendo.

jedimike

sonycowboy said:
Told ya there was a shortage Jedi. Just seems to have been a PS2 "mostly" shortage.

I remember the PR, but I just didn't think it would be as pronounced as it was. I figured 10-15K, not >50K

Rhindle

efralope said:
I think you can attribute the XBox sales to just normal y-o-y increases IMO, with the XBox becoming for mainstream and more consoles available this year that last year, of course some PS2'ers last year got it for XBox this year. Considering the effect live had on PGR2 and RSC2, I doubt Live made much of a difference.
A 64% increase is not a "normal y-o-y increase." There is no question that Live support had a dramatic effect. If it had not been for the ESPN price reduction, sales may have doubled over last year.

Datawhore said:
Even with the updated "Collector's Edition" calculations (see above), most of the growth is coming in the Xbox version. This is undeniably due to Xbox Live's superiority over the PS2 offering's.

Don't take this the wrong way, because we ALL appreciate your posting these numbers, but lighten up on the "fanboyish" comments. All EA games to this point have had horrible Xbox Live support and the online features are completely even between the two platforms.

Gamers that love Madden have bought the PS2 since launch and most of them already have a PS2. Finally, the Xbox live version has live so some of them made the switch.

It's very hard to declare that Xbox has ALL the growth, when it's still getting it's arse kicked by 3-1. I'm sure EA is happy with all of these numbers, except for the ESPN ones.

Rhindle

sonycowboy said:
Well, they really don't have many options. It's way too early to make the drop to $79. What other options do they have? This option gives them the absolutely best shot at having a positive effect on their biggest holiday game, Echoes.
They are doing a MK: DD bundle in the UK. That would be a much bigger sales driver here in the U.S.

GhaleonEB

I'm floored by the ESPN numbers. What was it at last month? (I'm stuck at work.) Looks like it barely budged - very good sign. I think it will top a million on both XBox and PS2.

Oh, and about those hardware numbers.....

greenownedpurple.gif

Slo

People who get annoyed at mainstream gamers buying high quality mainstream titles need to get over themselves. If Deer Hunter 9 was #1 on the list, you'd have a valid complaint. Face facts, there's never going to be a day where quirky niche Japanese stuff is going to be popular with Joe Sixpack, and if Joe Sixpack wasn't spending big bucks on videogaming most of your weird tentacle rape simulaters would never be brought over to the states.

Datawhore

on the 15th floor
GCN
MADDEN NFL 2002 Aug-01
MADDEN NFL 2003 Aug-02 44,308
MADDEN NFL 2004 Aug-03 76,136 72%
MADDEN NFL 2005 Aug-04 87,404 15%

PS2
MADDEN NFL 2002 Aug-01 420,336
MADDEN NFL 2003 Aug-02 930,329 121%
MADDEN NFL 2004 Aug-03 1,445,950 55%
MADDEN NFL 2005 Aug-04 1,508,399 4%

XBX
MADDEN NFL 2002 Aug-01
MADDEN NFL 2003 Aug-02 146,150
MADDEN NFL 2004 Aug-03 309,890 112%
MADDEN NFL 2005 Aug-04 509,100 64%

These growth rates are probably representative of where the consoles are in their lifecycles.

Datawhore

on the 15th floor
sonycowboy said:
Don't take this the wrong way, because we ALL appreciate your posting these numbers, but lighten up on the "fanboyish" comments. QUOTE]

I don't even own an Xbox, so my comments aren't based on my love of the system or the online service - they're based on what appear to be the facts. I can see how the numbers would disturb PS2 fanboys though. :p

Alcibiades

it had a bigger percentage jump last year, when there was no XBOX LIVE Madden.

I'm sure it made a difference to a decent number of football fans of those 10% XBox owners that have LIVE, but a lot of that has to be normal flow from the standard mainstream console to the next.

Datawhore

on the 15th floor
sonycowboy said:
I dont' think so.

Get over yourself buddy. Somebody disagrees with you so you start name calling?

They are only numbers. Draw whatever conclusions you want.

Agree to disagree and move on.

Dracor said:
lol, I was just messing with you, you're sure uptight in this thread.

No. I wasn't taking it badly at all. I was just being brief as I'm about to leave work.

I was wrong. I didn't expect it to hold on as well at the end of last month. But after EBGames, Gamestop's, & Take-2's press conferences, the past couple of weeks, it's pretty clear it had sustained the momentum. They'll both clearly pass a million easily and with Madden Xbox also going past a million, Xbox will go from 4 to 6 titles over a million very shortly.

Datawhore

on the 15th floor
efralope said:
but a lot of that has to be normal flow from the standard mainstream console to the next.

Excellent point. This could account for a lot of the Xbox growth, regardless of Xbox Live support.

Datawhore said:
Get over yourself buddy. Somebody disagrees with you so you start name calling?

They are only numbers. Draw whatever conclusions you want.

Agree to disagree and move on.

Datawhore. I'm not name calling. I just really disagree with your conclusions. That's why I quoted the fanboy part and prefaced my comment with asking you not to take offense. My comments were directed at your comments not you. But I agree with the agreeing to disagree thing. You say tomato, I say tomato.

Dracor

No. I wasn't taking it badly at all. I was just being brief as I'm about to leave work....

Ok, my bad.

It looks like Wedbush was off by around 300k on there prediction of ESPN too... kinda funny since I've heard quite a few ppl say there prediction of 450k was way to high.

GhaleonEB

sonycowboy said:
I dont' think so.

Code:
	July	August	Total
Xbox	385,660	311,359	[b]697,019[/b]
PS2	406,083	448,433	[b]854,516[/b]
I don't see how they won't hit one million each. It will have to be one disasterous holiday for those games, and given the month to month hold, it shouldn't be tough to hit.

Edit: Month to month hold, heck ESPN went up from July to August on PS2. It will hit one million next month.

NWO

Rhindle said:
Oh, and does anyone still want to argue that the Metroid bundle was a brilliant idea? First month on sale, with two competitors hobbled by shortages, and it still barely shifts any units.

Prime Bundle came out on Aug. 20th or something. Too early to judge it but without commercials I doubt it will have a big impact.

Nintendo needs to advertiste stuff that's out. Not things that are coming out in Nov.

ESPN is selling great at online stores still for the Xbox and PS2. I think Madden is being consumed by the more casual gamer crowd now at places like Wal Mart and Target.

Very surprised the game is doing so well on the PS2 though.

I suspect that Madden and ESPN will top 1,000,000 on the Xbox by the end of the year each. I still think Madden will outsell it though. Lord knows it made way more profit as well.

BeOnEdge

Banned
#2 worldwide GET. beating sony every other month GET. if halo 2 owns the holidays, ms will be in an awesome position come xenon time!!

BeOnEdge

Banned
*cue the sony fans crying about MS being a distant 2nd yet this is still MS first console outting* sony is steamrolling JACK next gen.

SantaC

BeOnEdge said:
*cue the sony fans crying about MS being a distant 2nd yet this is still MS first console outting* sony is steamrolling JACK next gen.

no because Nintendo will be back ;)

Soul4ger

BeOnEdge said:
#2 worldwide GET. beating sony every other month GET. if halo 2 owns the holidays, ms will be in an awesome position come xenon time!!

I wonder. Could early Xenon launch bite Microsoft like Dreamcast after only four years bit Sega (in Japan)? I doubt it, people here are asking about PS3 the day after PS2 fucking comes out, but I know I'm not very pleased shelling out $300 for a console I only own like 35 to 40 games on. I'm definitely more particular than the average Xbox gamer, though...

explodet

etiolate said:
Why do people keep buying those crappy Tom Clancy games?
There's a big community of Rainbow 6 / Ghost Recon fans on XBL, AFAIK.

Every now and then I like to call it "Tom Clancy's Xbox".

GhaleonEB

SantaCruZer said:
no because Nintendo will be back ;)

N-Bots been saying that since the N64. My question is, How? Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Donkey Kong (with drums! woo!)? That's what they've always had.

Soul4ger

GhaleonEB said:
N-Bots been saying that since the N64. My question is, How? Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Donkey Kong (with drums! woo!)? That's what they've always had.

Agreed. I've pretty much given up any hope of Nintendo reigning supreme in the home market again, as much as it breaks my heart. And those games that they've "always had" are more than good enough, it's just that people don't care anymore. Folks're satisfied playing Shadow Ops: Red Mercury, Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, Conflict: Desert Storm, Shellshock, etc., etc., ad infinitum, and, apparently, they don't get sick of it. And as much as I, or you, might like to believe about Nintendo's games being "fun for everyone," that translates to "good for children" to nearly everyone else. I'm content just owning the GameCube and loving it. Even as it makes the acid in my stomach boil...

B E N K E

What Nintendo needs is a new franchise that really turns heads. If not to help Gamecube then at least to help build anticipation for the future. The number of people who buys a console to play Zelda, Mario, Metroid seems to decrease with every generation and Nintendo have failed to convince the GBA masses to buy a matching Gamecube. Perhaps because it took them three years to produce a Pokémon game for Gamecube. I'm mean is it just me, but when a series of games for Gameboy outsells the Gamecube hardware (close to anyway), that's a pretty big hint of what they need to do.

Soul4ger

B E N K E said:
What Nintendo needs is a new franchise that really turns heads. If not to help Gamecube then at least to help build anticipation for the future. The number of people who buys a console to play Zelda, Mario, Metroid seems to decrease with every generation and Nintendo have failed to convince the GBA masses to buy a matching Gamecube. Perhaps because it took them three years to produce a Pokémon game for Gamecube. I'm mean is it just me, but when a series of games for Gameboy outsells the Gamecube hardware (close to anyway), that's a pretty big hint of what they need to do.

You're contradicting yourself. You say Nintendo needs a new series to turn heads, but then say they need Pokémon. Honestly, at this point, with Nintendo scrounging to get whatever third-party support it can, and with the company trying to convince people that it can house mature-themed games, that's the last thing they need. Besides, Pokémon is perfect in its portability. There aren't really any games that are as fun and accessible, simply because you can take them anywhere. You might rant and rave about a consistent online world or what have you, but that would, obviously, seriously cut into the userbase, particularly when, admittedly, younger people like Pokémon. However, it's worth noting, as I think EGM or some pub did this month, that Blue/Red came out six years ago. Eight year-olds who played it are now going into high school, so you would be right to at least assume that the audience for the game may've matured, but with magazines and store employees raving about games simply because they let you make a shiv to slice someone's throat with, they'll probably grow out of whatever "fun game-"phase they're in rather quick. I could point to Pikmin as a new, fresh series that could turn heads, especially with the number of rave reviews it's getting, or even Capcom's Viewtiful Joe (which is no longer exclusive - but people didn't care the first time around anyway, right)... The fact is, people have been conditioned not to care.

SantaC

GhaleonEB said:

failed to see my sarcasm I guess...

I don't expect Nintendo to be on top again, but as long as they are alive and making high-quality games I am perfectly happy.

jarrod

Banned
Dark Dragon said:
TOS = 185K U.S

500K = U.S/JPN
More precisely it's...

USA: 185,679
USA/JP: 501,145

... with Nintendo publishing in Europe and continued US sales, Symphonia GC should match ToD2J in the end. :)

Top Bottom