• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin’ |OT| When Russo Shoots, He Shoots To Kill

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
SpC5Baq.png

Most I know about Kojak is that Telly Savalas is one smooth Lex Luthor looking motherfucker

kojak.jpg

You are absolutely motherfuckin correct. Dude is smooth as hell.

Preacher Cena Monday after Summer Slam "last night I got the crap beat out of me, clearly some of you seemed to enjoy that, some of you don't, those of you that wear the banner Hustle Loyalty Respect you are the ones I'm concerned with. No matter who carries the belt all of you know THE CHAMP IS HERE!" Completely no sells The beating Brock gave him continues the soul sucking status quo

He's not losing.

Showaddy

let's be real here: what will actually happen if Cena really does win? You think he'll keep it until Mania for the true pass the torch moment for Roman?

I think a year of Cena would kill the Network; these constant face-offs with Reigns must be leading to something though, even if the crowd aren't interested in them.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
If Cena wins it just means Seth-kun is cashing in sooner rather than later. I'm ok with this outcome especially since I think a part timer holding the belt for 7 months is stupid as hell.

dream

If Cena wins it just means Seth-kun is cashing in sooner rather than later. I'm ok with this outcome especially since I think a part timer holding the belt for 7 months is stupid as hell.

You're such an unbelievable traitor. HE'S ONE OF OURS

strobogo

Banned
let's be real here: what will actually happen if Cena really does win? You think he'll keep it until Mania for the true pass the torch moment for Roman?

I don't think beating Cena matters anymore. He's his own universe until himself within the WWE Universe. No one has really benefited much from beating Cena.

Edge: Early retirement, anchor of Smackdown during dark times
Bryan: Career possibly over
Bray: Feuding with Chris Jericho
Miz: Spent the last 3 years doing DTV movies and IC championship matches
Orton: Still seen as HHH's lacky, can't find his pants
Punk: Retired and married

It would be better for Roman to dethrown Brock, not Cena.

Cena will win, Seth will unsuccessfully cash in because WWE doesn't think he's ready but Triple H likes him so they think he'll look strong with a loss but then become baffled when the crowd no longer gives a shit. Six months later, Ziggler position

dream

What do you think of this, Chamber?

"They aren't really a competitor to us and I explain this to our talent in this way in the Performance Center and every time I say it people will say to me, oh, that made it very clear to me. People like UFC. They like boxing. But it's completely different from what we are. We are like the movie Rocky. We're a story. We're a great story that just happens to take place sometimes in the wrestling ring.

"So if you think about us less as Floyd Mayweather in a boxing match, which you'll watch one time and on pay-per-view, and then once that fight is over, it's kind of done, you know. And you're really not going to go back and watch it a bunch of times unless you're a connoisseur of boxing science. You're gonna watch it one time. But Rocky the movie you will watch over and over and over and over again.

"Who is gonna go back to watch the Super Bowl from '84? Yeah right, unless you're a massive technical football fan. Or who's gonna go back and watch boxing form five years ago. You're not. Or UFC. It's the same thing. It's the same component.

"But our product is evergreen, because it's the characters and the stories that you engage in. That's what makes a passionate fan of the WWE. And it's lifelong, because even if you move away from it, even if you become a lapsed fan, you get out of college, you don't have a lot of free time anymore, you get a job, you have kids, you do all those things. And now all of a sudden, your kids start to watch."

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/8/1...fcs-rewatching-ability-inabiilty-to-guarantee

I personally find it very interesting that HHH is using language commonly associated with Nintendo when discussing WWE.

dream

But HHH overlooks a critical point. Yes, PBF fights and the big Ultimate fights tend to be one offs--they are quick 3 month long angles that reach a climax. But something like a PBF fight, or Bones Jones vs. Cormier, not only dwarf WWE's buyrates, but they also contribute to long-term character development. Cormier is going to be the biggest star in the sport when he stops Bones Jones, leading to future PPV buys.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Since the G1 thread is dead I'll go back to bothering you guys here (lol sorry), started watching day 10 today and it's been pretty terrible so far. Kojima vs Honma was ok but it's getting old seeing Honma lose now, Fale vs Davey Boy was awful and probably the worst match of the tournament so far, and that includes the Toru Yano matches, and Naito vs Tenzan was a botch fetch, I'm surprised Bootaay put it up as one of the best of day 10. Oh well only 3 matches in, I'm sure it will improve soon

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
What do you think of this, Chamber?

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/8/1...fcs-rewatching-ability-inabiilty-to-guarantee

I personally find it very interesting that HHH is using language commonly associated with Nintendo when discussing WWE.

I think he's right. The product is sort of multifaceted in its appeal, so there are more potential hooks for the audience.

Not to suggest the other products don't have multiple or many hooks, but it's not ever going to be like wrestling, which is of course as much theater as it is athleticism. At least...when it is really good.

I don't know if the language overlaps with Nintendo's language/appeal because it has some sort of fundamental similarity in its base appeal or just because it blew up during the 80s.

dream

I think he's right. The product is sort of multifaceted in its appeal, so there are more potential hooks for the audience.

Not to suggest the other products don't have multiple or many hooks, but it's not ever going to be like wrestling, which is of course as much theater as it is athleticism. At least...when it is really good.

I don't know if the language overlaps with Nintendo's language/appeal because it has some sort of fundamental similarity in its base appeal or just because it blew up during the 80s.

But then that seems like a tacit admission that WWE is for kids and only for kids.

I think if we look back at the best angles in pro wrestling (and here I'm thinking of Austin vs. Dwayne Johnson, Brock vs. Dwayne Johnson, Bret vs. Owen, or maybe even the G-1 tournament that just concluded), what really resonates with people is one of two things: either two guys hate each other and are going to fight, or two guys want to be the best, so they're going to fight. WWE has the unique opportunity to control their finishes, which should--in theory--be an advantage for leveraging this formula. But they don't seem to grasp the idea of parsimony, and everything becomes this overwrought cascade of Vaudevillainesque shit.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Lots of businesses use that language. WWE has worked hard to make it about the WWE instead of about a single star, or a couple. It's instead focused on the atmosphere of what WWE is moreso than "this is where I go to see Hulk Hogan" and I can't blame them, that's a smart thing.

dream

Lots of businesses use that language. WWE has worked hard to make it about the WWE instead of about a single star, or a couple. It's instead focused on the atmosphere of what WWE is moreso than "this is where I go to see Hulk Hogan" and I can't blame them, that's a smart thing.

Do you really think so? "WWE" has such a stigma to it. Do people really proudly self-identify as members of the "WWE Universe?"

Just watched the Paul Heyman documentary, it was great.

Just saw it myself. What a crazy story that guy has. I wonder what he still can't say about leaving WCW because of a nondisclosure agreement from 21 years ago - the company is gone, so I guess it must involve some individuals who are still around.

The Bluray exclusive stories are brilliant. Particularly
Heyman no-showing Joey Styles' wedding and still sticking to the story all these years later.

I'm impressed that it managed to cover so much of ECW without overlapping the Rise and Fall of ECW content very much at all. Great documentary and some brilliant extras with promos and segments.

Carnby

Guys

I was reading the dictionary for fun, and I came across this...

verklempt: choked with emotion (German verklemmt = emotionally inhibited in a convulsive way)

Verklemmt is German for legit shook.

Woah...

SoulPlaya

more money than God
But HHH overlooks a critical point. Yes, PBF fights and the big Ultimate fights tend to be one offs--they are quick 3 month long angles that reach a climax. But something like a PBF fight, or Bones Jones vs. Cormier, not only dwarf WWE's buyrates, but they also contribute to long-term character development. Cormier is going to be the biggest star in the sport when he stops Bones Jones, leading to future PPV buys.
WWE can't compete, though, if they followed that model, simply because they're not actual sport. People will overlook these things in sport, but not in WWE.

dream

WWE can't compete, though, if they followed that model, simply because they're not actual sport. People will overlook these things in sport, but not in WWE.

Why not? Why couldn't Kane suddenly realize that he's 59 years old and that he doesn't want to end his career as a joke character, so he trains his ass off for one last shot at the belt, knowing that beating Brock Lesnar would define his career and erase the regrets he'd otherwise he left with? Isn't that far more compelling than Kane being a "monster?"

Why not? Why couldn't Kane suddenly realize that he's 59 years old and that he doesn't want to end his career as a joke character, so he trains his ass off for one last shot at the belt, knowing that beating Brock Lesnar would define his career and erase the regrets he'd otherwise he left with? Isn't that far more compelling than Kane being a "monster?"

I just want Kane to shoot lighting bolts at people again. That's all I want from wrestling. Bring back the super powers.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I guess i misunderstood what you said. I thought you meant long gaps between storylines or matches, or something. That's certainly compelling, but they can't do it often, as it loses its appeal quickly, and they can't have that storyline run for months, unless we have Kane actually do stuff earlier. Real sport has the added appeal of actually seeing a possible upset. In those storylines in WWE, the young guy always wins.

EDIT: And Kane's 47. And I want lightning bolts too!

Top Bottom