• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin’ |OT| When Russo Shoots, He Shoots To Kill

I will simply never forget the day when i saw wrestling on the tv in a bar and hear the countless "its fake" remarks from every single person in that place.

Maybe it's an SF thing but maaaaan that was disheartening. Like i don't care, i like what i like, but something happened.

He has nothing to gain from being fed Brock yet again. Cena could do with a really loooong break from the spotlight and the damn belt.

Vince McMahon doesn't give five million fucks what you think.

Gz781.jpg

I will simply never forget the day when i saw wrestling on the tv in a bar and hear the countless "its fake" remarks from every single person in that place.

Maybe it's an SF thing but maaaaan that was disheartening. Like i don't care, i like what i like, but something happened.
The "it's fake!" stuff is rampant in the comment sections of any article about wrestling on a mainstream site (Yahoo!, for example). I cringe reading it. It's just horrific. Like these people think they're being smart and figuring out the ruse when... oh fuck it, I don't even wanna think about this anymore, clicking submit.

He has nothing to gain from being fed Brock yet again. Cena could do with a really loooong break from the spotlight and the damn belt.
Cena's doing just fine putting the company on his back and carrying them through this financial turmoil.
Why not? Why couldn't Kane suddenly realize that he's 59 years old and that he doesn't want to end his career as a joke character, so he trains his ass off for one last shot at the belt, knowing that beating Brock Lesnar would define his career and erase the regrets he'd otherwise he left with? Isn't that far more compelling than Kane being a "monster?"
That would require extensive use of backstage vignettes, in-ring promos, guest commentary spots and commentary constantly drilling these talking points throughout the shows to translate that simple storyline to the WWE Universe. Now, you and I both know that Kane doesn't have that in him.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

I wish someone reminded Shibata and Suzuki that it's fake :(

No I don't :p

PInk Tape

Banned

Ugh. I don't put people who watch movies and television shows down just because they're fake. Would it kill some people to show some common courtesy? You don't have to like wrestling but don't be a dick about it..

dream

Gaming side has some of the weirdest conditions for a thread. Who the fuck doesn't finish a game because they "didn't want it to end?"

That first sentence...

I first started doing this with books I like, recently Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl. This is pretty common for book lovers.

First of all, that is not "pretty common." I AM AN EXPERT IN LITERATURE. NOBODY DOES THIS.

Secondly, Gone Girl?!?

Zach

Starrcade '83: A Flair for the Gold - B

Starrcade '84: The Million Dollar Challenge - C

WrestleMania - B-
The Wrestling Classic - D+
Starrcade '85: The Gathering - C

WrestleMania 2 - C+
The Big Event - C-
Starrcade '86: The Sky Walkers - C+

WrestleMania III - B-
Starrcade '87: Chi-Town Heat - C+
Survivor Series '87 - C-

Bunkhouse Stampede '88 - C-
Royal Rumble '88 - C-
Clash of the Champions I - B+
WrestleMania IV - C
Clash of the Champions II - C+
The Great American Bash '88 - B
SummerSlam '88 - D
Clash of the Champions III - C-
Survivor Series '88 - D
Clash of the Champions IV - C+
Starrcade '88: True Gritt - B

Royal Rumble '89 - F
Clash of the Champions V - C-
Clash of the Champions VI - B
WrestleMania V - B-
WrestleWar '89 - C
Clash of the Champions VII - C+
The Great American Bash '89 - B+
SummerSlam '89 - C
Clash of the Champions VIII - B-
Halloween Havoc '89 - C+
Clash of the Champions IX - B
Survivor Series '89 - D+
Starrcade '89: Future Shock - C+

Royal Rumble '90 - D+
Clash of the Champions X - B-
WrestleWar '90 - C
WrestleMania VI - B
Capital Combat: The Return of Robocop - B-
Clash of the Champions XI - C
The Great American Bash '90 - B-
SummerSlam '90 - D
Clash of the Champions XII - D
Halloween Havoc '90 - C-
Clash of the Champions XIII - D
Survivor Series '90 - D+
Starrcade '90: Collision Course - B-

Royal Rumble '91 - D+
Clash of the Champions XIV - B-
WrestleWar '91 - C+
WrestleMania VII - D+
SuperBrawl - C-
Clash of the Champions XV - B-
The Great American Bash '91 - F
SummerSlam '91 - C-
Clash of the Champions XVI - C
Halloween Havoc '91 - B-
Clash of the Champions XVII - B-
Survivor Series '91 - D
This Tuesday in Texas - C
Starrcade '91: Battlebowl - C-

Royal Rumble '92 - B-
Clash of the Champions XVIII - B
SuperBrawl II - B+
WrestleMania VIII - B-
WrestleWar '92 - B-
Beach Blast '92 - B+
Clash of the Champions XIX - B
The Great American Bash '92 - C+
SummerSlam '92 - C-
Clash of the Champions XX - B+
Halloween Havoc '92 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXI - C+
Survivor Series '92 - C-
Starrcade '92 - B-

Clash of the Champions XXII - B
Royal Rumble '93 - C
SuperBrawl III - B-
WrestleMania IX - C-
Slamboree '93 - D+
King of the Ring '93 - C+
Clash of the Champions XXIII - C+
Beach Blast '93 - B-
Clash of the Champions XXIV - C+
SummerSlam '93 - D
Fall Brawl '93 - C-
Halloween Havoc '93 - C+
Clash of the Champions XXV - C-
BattleBowl - D
Survivor Series '93 - F
Starrcade '93 - C

Royal Rumble '94 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXVI - B-
SuperBrawl IV - B-
WrestleMania X - B-
Spring Stampede '94 - B
Slamboree '94 - C
King of the Ring '94 - D
Clash of the Champions XXVII - C
Bash at the Beach '94 - C-

I was expecting worse. Maybe that helped it. Stro, I hope you have a gif of the Orndorff elbow drop thing at 1:52:17 or so.

I listened to one of JR's podcasts from a few weeks ago and he admits that there is a very strong anti-wrestling bias and a stigma against wrestling fans in our society. He said he's most commonly called "the wrestling guy" in a demeaning and patronizing way from others.

Vince McMahon doesn't give five million fucks what you think.

Gz781.jpg

Hence why the product will forever be in the shitter

I would rather have a million comic book threads in OT in lieu of one of those super simp "help me get my co-worker to sniff my dick" threads that were all over the place at the beginning of summer.

dream

I would rather have a million comic book threads in OT in lieu of one of those super simp "help me get my co-worker to sniff my dick" threads that were all over the place at the beginning of summer.

Disagree. At least the loneliness was more overt with those.

Not sure if this was mentioned yet but it looks like the Network will start airing Smackdown in chronological order every day starting tomorrow.

I wish the Smackdown six would be enough to convince me to subscribe.

But it isn't

if we stop all the versus threads, then we might as well stop fantasy booking so much. It's the same godamn thing.

let people have fun ffs

The versus threads are fine and fun when people don't take them so damn seriously. That Avengers/MOS thread sounded like a room of yelling stockbrokers by the end

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
esto why does Okada have purple hair in your avatar >_>

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Do you really think so? "WWE" has such a stigma to it. Do people really proudly self-identify as members of the "WWE Universe?"

I think some kids might. But it's an atmosphere they're selling - a group of larger than life people (usually) and presentation above all.

nak will come back soon enough, until then, we can all enjoy the rainmaker

That is a shit avatar my friend. Just shit.

Better off with some other Okada from TNA av.

I miss Lambada, Bangai-o, The Frankman, Khrno, Laser Frog and what this thread was like before FCW was folded into NXT and moved to Full Sail.

Rhaknar

how tall is Okada anyway? 6? dude looks like such a fucking superstar, I have to admit

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
My favorite parts of Okada fanart are the Gedo interpretations

Cena actually hasn't had the belt much in recent years. He is however still in the spotlight for the most part.

I can't wait for the man that really deserves the spotlight to come back

vdssadv.PNG

I miss Horse and Sblargh. I bet they would've enjoyed the G1

What happened to Sblargh? I missed that whole situation I guess.

DMczaf

Here are the results of the WWE house show on Saturday, August 9 at the Abbotsford Sports & Entertainment Centre which is about an hour east of Vancouver, British Columbia

Randy Orton vs Dolph Ziggler
Good, long, competitive match. The story is that Randy is trying to get the RKO on Ziggler, but Dolph manages to counter. Finally, out of nowhere, Randy hits the RKO...and Dolph...KICKS OUT AT 2! Yes. Dolph Ziggler kicked out of an RKO. The crowd goes wild. Dolph hits the Zig Zag and pins Orton clean, 1-2-3. Now the crowd REALLY goes wild because it was so not the finish that was expected. Now, if only Ziggler could get those kinds of matches on TV... Really cool surprise finish though to wrap up the show.

tumblr_na3w2fhfSx1srbyoyo1_250.gif

wat

W7XTdcO.png

Rented the Heyman DVD on iTunes. Gotta admit - I thought there was a lot of fluff in the documentary.
Heyman's personal life
was probably the most interesting part, I think.
The Heyman Hustle part - especially where Heyman's using all bs marketing terms - felt like a David Brent scene. Almost think it was done on purpose. "Ok, Paul - point at your laptop screen and make it look like you're talking about something important."

Lots felt like spin, which I guess is to be expected. Also, though it's not mentioned on the DVD, I believe Heyman
was fired from WCW for expensing personal items on the road and claiming they were for business.

Top Bottom