• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU-LY

Jashobeam

decent smackdown live, i was there live, so many damn commercial breaks, it went to fashion files then back to another damn commercial ughh. The dark match was fun, after the match I saw Nakamura take somebodys camera and took a group picture for them, he also took a kid's new day unicorn horn and poke AJ with it lol.

decent smackdown live, i was there live, so many damn commercial breaks, it went to fashion files then back to another damn commercial ughh. The dark match was fun, after the match I saw Nakamura take somebodys camera and took a group picture for them, he also took a kid's new day unicorn horn and poke AJ with it lol.

I used the commercial breaks to post on WrassleGAF XD

Dark match was great. Especially finally getting to see a Kinshasa live after Nakamura couldn't make the Vancouver show and after he just used a few kicks and a lame clothesline out of the ring as his send the crowd home happy spots against Jinder in Ottawa.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so whats the logic behind not having Nakamura on the show, 1 week after winning he number #1 contender's match, 2 weeks before Summerslam?

I can already feel the Alvarez rant coming :p

so whats the logic behind not having Nakamura on the show, 1 week after winning he number #1 contender's match, 2 weeks before Summerslam?

I can already feel the Alvarez rant coming :p

His pre tape interview was great and the goal is the title so no major Jinder/Nak story is needed.

It's not personal it's a championship story

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
His pre tape interview was great and the goal is the title so no major Jinder/Nak story is needed.

It's not personal it's a championship story

my bad didnt know there was a taped interview

RBH

I heard that Arn Anderson showed up on Smackdown tonight?!

Side note if Pollock and or Wai or really any wrestling journos want to do reports from shows they attended and specifically report on crowd reactions they really shouldn't sit in the press area.

I'm laughing at Pollock saying Bayley was significantly boo'd. He also didn't hear the let's go jobber chants. Like if the TV mics and shit Bayley herself can pick up this shit clearly he's sitting in an area not really connected to the rest of the arena.

Just frustrating hearing him talk about a crowd I was in completely inaccurately

Also had a total blast at Smackdown. It was definitely a show where the talk segments were better than the matches but a hot ass crowd made Jinder vs Orton way more fun then it'd have been anywhere else.

It's extremely easy to misconceive what another section of the audience is doing. Especially when it's as active an audience as these two Toronto ones have been.

I don't know, his matches against KO have been ROUGH. Not terrible, but you know they can do better.

First one was completely very good and had a clever countout finish.

Second one might had the finish changed late, possibly literally mid match.

Triple threat was good

And last week's was good with a storyline enforced fuck finish.

No blow away but only one that was actively not good

It's extremely easy to misconceive what another section of the audience is doing. Especially when it's as active an audience as these two Toronto ones have been.

Yeah but Pollock was way off more than once.

If you sit properly in the crowd you can pick most of em out.

Also Face of America seems like a dead gimmick unless they dropped KO's new grahpics because he was in Canada

No, what I mean is like, if the section Pollock was in was booing Bayley a lot, then it would be tough for him to decipher how much of that was just his section.

He was saying there wasn't much of the boos for Bayley

He sat in a press section which usually means not right in the thick of it.

Could be wrong.

Btw I'm still in awe that Breezango and whoever is crafting this with them clearly planned out the Tully the stickhorse thing weeks in advance to pay off with an Arn Amders/Tully Blanchard/4 Horsewomen joke. Incredible

Hex

Banned
Pfft UK talk. Basically saying I have got bored of AJ, has anyone else? I think him being a bigot has destroyed how great I thought he was.

His personality and his promos bring him down.
In NJPW he did not talk as much and when he did he had an group talking.
Not only that , after a while you start to realize that 70% of his arsenal is off limits and collecting dust on a shelf and what you are seeing is a stripped down version that really has no surprises.

His personality and his promos bring him down.
In NJPW he did not talk as much and when he did he had an group talking.
Not only that , after a while you start to realize that 70% of his arsenal is off limits and collecting dust on a shelf and what you are seeing is a stripped down version that really has no surprises.

70%?

Like what?

Hex

Banned
I'm rooting for Okada vs Tanahashi in the G1 Finals.

Tana does not do alot for me sadly.
I mean I respect him, but the air guitar thing makes me wonder if he has ever actually held a guitar the way he does it....
Anyway I would rather he heal up before fighting Okada

Tana does not do alot for me sadly.
I mean I respect him, but the air guitar thing makes me wonder if he has ever actually held a guitar the way he does it....
Anyway I would rather he heal up before fighting Okada

Tanahashi is so goddamn bad at air guitar, it's kind of endearing.

Hex

Banned
70%?

Like what?

I do not mean this move and that move, I just mean crazy counters he has done in the past, crazy stuff to the outside
But things like the Spiral Tap, when would do crazy flips to the outside, he used to do one running backflip, handspring back elbow off the ropes, discus lariat, delayed brain buster, he has this slide under neck breaker thing that he could pull out of nowhere, he has a nice frog splash, an arm capture side suplex, this back breaker thing where it would start like a leg sweep and then swing you all the way around, a german into a face plant...I mean there are tons.
Grab any "moves of AJ Styles" video older than the past year and a half and you will see alot of them.
But to me it was mostly about his ability to counter things, when you thought someone was in control all of the sudden AJ would turn their own move into something that looked brutal.

Nekofrog

Banned
The ending sequence to Evil/Elgin from last night was great.
The last sit out powerbomb was fierce in his determination to make that move the one that put Evil down.
. I don't know if I should spoiler or not but why not.

I do not mean this move and that move, I just mean crazy counters he has done in the past, crazy stuff to the outside
But things like the Spiral Tap, when would do crazy flips to the outside, he used to do one running backflip, handspring back elbow off the ropes, discus lariat, delayed brain buster, he has this slide under neck breaker thing that he could pull out of nowhere, he has a nice frog splash, an arm capture side suplex, this back breaker thing where it would start like a leg sweep and then swing you all the way around, a german into a face plant...I mean there are tons.
Grab any "moves of AJ Styles" video older than the past year and a half and you will see alot of them.
But to me it was mostly about his ability to counter things, when you thought someone was in control all of the sudden AJ would turn their own move into something that looked brutal.

To be fair, he was toned down in Japan too by that standard. He only even ever attempted the Spiral Tap once, for instance.

Part of it I think is just age. Like he's said in interviews before that he's not even sure if he could do the Spiral Tap anymore.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Might as well add the Styles Clash to the list. He hasn't landed that since he almost killed Ellsworth with that however long ago that was. Once in a while he'll start to go for it, but it's always countered.

EDIT: Actually it might have been the Cena match at rumble, I can't remember if he went for it or not there.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I feel like Nakamura not being there all the time is intentional. There's a ton of shows he just isn't featured on while he's been cast as a main eventer from the outset.

Nakamura not being around constantly is the right way to go IMO. He is better off not coming across as just another guy. He has to come across more strong during his matches too though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It makes me laugh that they put Cena/Nakamura on a random episode of SmackDown.

Than again, it also makes me laugh that Shinsuke Nakamura and Samoa Joe are co-main eventing SummerSlam.

Top Bottom