• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin |OT| The Sunday of Summer

Of course Bryan isn't retiring. He says he feels great, passed all his tests and if WWE won't let him wrestle he'll run his contract down and wrestle somewhere else. Pure and simple, doubt he's gone from that to retirement in less than a month, just be a book promotion boringly.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's Lizard Squad, you know, the guys who took down XBL and PSN at Christmas. Clerklol was the account that did it all.

sorry I'm not really current, pretend I'm either Vince or Hama trying to grapple with this concept

91K0ZZd.jpg

yzwuHec.jpg

hGMH55l.jpg

lol at them not even wanting to show a slight glimpse of the crowd #DeadGiveaway

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You can't just post that without noting that it features Mandy Leon, WrassleGAF's favorite member of the Exotic Express.

Yeah, she's really pretty. Monster heaters, too. I like those. I'm sure she has a beautiful mind as well, but I can only glean so much from video footage.

jmdajr

In response to the article (wrestlers dying young), WWE issued the following statement to BBC:

Unfortunately, some past performers were part of a generation of wrestlers who made unhealthy and poor personal lifestyle choices, which in some cases continued beyond their years in the ring.

Today’s athletes take great pride and personal responsibility for their overall health and well-being. Notwithstanding, WWE talent are subject to random drug testing and expected to live healthy lifestyles.

Maybe already posted. Overall, I hope it's the case.

Savitar

Good thing the WWE doesn't run a hellish road schedule for their wrestlers today and allow them to heal up proper.

Ziggler. Amazed they didn't go for a higher profile name.

Aiii

So not worth it
Lethal Lottery words to live by:
mobile.52hur53.jpg

There is a bit of a Tumblr/Twitter fanwar going on between AJ's fans and "The Bella Army" (which apparently is a real thing) over the Twitter #KeepAJsRecord. Internet feuds between teenage wrestling fans are one thing I'm grateful for to have missed out on. What an age we live in.

jmdajr

mobile.52hur53.jpg

There is a bit of a Tumblr/Twitter fanwar going on between AJ's fans and "The Bella Army" (which apparently is a real thing) over the Twitter #KeepAJsRecord. Internet feuds between teenage wrestling fans are one thing I'm grateful for to have missed out on. What an age we live in.
She posted so she lost!

Fox318

mobile.52hur53.jpg

SemG595.jpg

Some other forehead alternatives I almost went with. Villano III's "even my chin is scarred to fuck";

DBlAuNG.jpg

The Original Sheik's walking corpse look;

IlBxQGC.jpg

King Curtis, who's entire head appears to be scar tissue;

cyqT10G.jpg

Mahonay

Banned
WrestleMania XX Review
New York City, Madison Square Garden
WWE Network version

Generic WrestleMania video package open. "Tonight is the night where it all begins...again."
vincev2p4o5z.png

US Title Championship
Big Show vs John Cena

Cena is over as fuck with his Thuganomics gimmick in front of the MSG crowd. Huge reaction. Short and simple match. Big Show is pretty fat. Seems to get winded nearly by standing. Cena still gives his fat ass up for a FU. Heel Cena goes for his chain. Distracts the ref by tossing the chain across the mat and then grabs his brass knucks instead. Distraction works. Another FU. Show loses, everyone is happy. Cena is US Champ. 3/5
screenshot2015-08-10afiplb.png

World Tag Team Championship Fatal 4 Way
Booker T & RVD vs La Resistance vs Dudley Boyz vs Garrison Cage & Mark Jindrak

Who in the fuck are Garrison Cage & Mark Jindrak? Nothing really happens in this match. RVD hits a massive looking frog slash. Booker & RVD retain their belts. I could feel myself forgetting this match as soon as it ended. The state of the RAW tag division. Jesus. 1.5/5

Grudge Match
Chris Jericho vs Christian

These guys work so well together in the ring. Christian really steps it up to match Jericho. He hits an absolutely sick looking modified DDT where Jericho's entire body is spiked into the mat. King, talking about their feud over Trish Stratus, says the following, "Woman and wrestling just don't mix." Everything else is great until the finish happens. Distraction roll-up after Trish gets involved and Christian wins. Trish turns on Jericho and leaves with creepy Christian. What. 3.75/5
screenshot2015-08-10a69oe3.png

Special 3 vs 2 Grudge Match
Ric Flair, Randy Orton & Batista vs The Rock & Mick Foley

Rock and Foley immediately clear Evolution out of the ring. Match starts once ref regains order. Rock knocks down Flair outside and immediately Foley appears from screen left with a Cactus Jack elbow. BANG BANG. While Randy is in a tree of woe in the corner, The Rock just blatantly punches him right in the dick while looking directly at the ref. LOL ok then. Every time The Rock and Flair are tagged in at the same time it is absolute magic, worth watching just for that. Rest of the match is pedestrian. RKO out of nowhere on Foley. Evolution wins. 3.5/5
screenshot2015-08-10ad5q6n.png

Hall of Fame inductions
Highlights are shown from the ceremony. I come very close to crying when they show Bobby Heenan's portion as he says with tears in his eyes "Only one thing is missing...I wish...Monsoon was here". Fuuuuuuuck.
They bring out everyone back at the arena and get to their introductions. Greg The Hammer Valentine gets a fucking massive pop, way more than anyone else up there. What?

Playboy Evening Gown Match
Sable & Torrie Wison vs Miss Jackie & Stacy Keibler

Sable in 2004. Ok then. She comes out and gets absolutely zero reaction. 1999 was a long time ago. Sable wins back the crowd by convincing all of the Divas that they should start the match in their lingerie. Stacy straddles the ropes for a bit before being tagged in. Stacy and Torrie proceed to do a series of roll-up reversals while the camera changes angles to make sure you get the full view. I feel disgusting. Torrie, with yet another roll-up, pins Jackie for the win. She keeps sitting on Jackie to show the crowd her ass. Fucking Christ. 0/5.

Cruiserweight Open
Chavo Guerrero vs Rey Mysterio vs Billy Kidman vs Jamie Noble vs Tajiri vs Funaki vs Nunzio vs Shannon Moore vs Ultimo Dragon

Shannon & Dragon start the match. It's 1v1 in the ring with competitors getting cycled out in a predetermined order as they get pinned/submitted. Chavo as champ goes last. They blow through everyone else quickly so they can get Rey in. Rey looks absolutely fantastic and is clearly head and shoulders above the rest of these guys. Chavo rolls up Rey while Chavo's dad (his manager) pulls his hand from the outside for leverage. Chavo retains. Poor Rey. WrestleMania XX: It Was All Roll-ups. 2/5
screenshot2015-08-10argpjb.png

Grudge Match
Brock Lesnar vs Goldberg w/ special guest referee Stone Cold

Lesnar & Goldberg make faces at each other while not wrestling for an extended period of time. Crowd chants "this match sucks". Goldberg spears and jackhammers Lesnar for the win. Stone Cold stuns both of them. Camera cuts to fireworks going off outside MSG as if something really great just happened. 0.5/5
screenshot2015-08-10ansrev.png

Vince comes out and thanks the fans for making 20 years of WrestleMania possible.

WWE Tag Team Championship Fatal 4 Way
Rikish & Scotty 2 Hotty vs Shelton Benjamin & Charlie Haas vs Basham Brothers vs APA

Extremely average match. Crowd is apathetic and probably pissed from the last match. Bradshaw looks funny in his APA gear since he already looks like current day JBL. Too Cool is not very over at this point. Nothing really happens in this match. Rikishi & Scotty retain their belts. Scotty does the worm after the match. A smattering of boos. They both dance. No one cares. The state of the Smackdown tag division. Jesus. 1.5/5.
screenshot2015-08-10avuoh1.png

Promo: Edge is coming

Jesse Ventura comes out and interviews Donald Trump in the audience. Crowd boos. Jesse gets the crowd to cheer by saying he should be president in 2008. He asks Trump if he would has his support if he got back into politics. I don't need to tell you that this is hilarious.

Woman's championship and hair match
Molly Holly vs Victoria

Crowd is still dead. JR is putting over how Molly is the most talented woman wrestler on their roster which is nice. Match is whatever. Shitty roll-up out of nowhere. Victoria wins. Molly getting her head shaved takes as long as the match. 1/5...0.5/5

WWE Championship
Eddie Guerrero vs Kurt Angle

Molly is still on the entrance getting her head shaved as Angle comes out. I'm going back back and lowering that matches score.
screenshot2015-08-10aujrf4.png

Match starts. Guerrero looks really roidy. Let's go Angle/Angle sucks chant starts and Cole talks about the impartial crowd. Seems familiar somehow...
Starts out with some stiff shoulder blocks and mat wrestling. Angle takes control and targets Eddie's midsection. Lots of great suplexes, smart offense, and counters. Eddie hits a frog splash which Angle kicks out of. Kurt gets Eddie in an ankle lock, Eddie rolls forward throwing him out of the ring. Meanwhile Eddie unties his boot feigning injury. Kurt jumps back in the ring and gets another ankle lock on. Eddie kicks off with his other foot and Kurt is left just holding his now empty boot. Super quick roll up using the ropes as assistance & Eddie retains. I lie, I cheat, I roll up. 4/5.
screenshot2015-08-10abzp04.png

Grudge Match
Undertaker vs Kane

Kane waiting in the ring. "Ohhhhhh yeeeess". Paul Bearer comes out with the urn. Taker makes his entrance, his gear is EXACTLY the same as the one he's sporting now. 2015 Taker is 2004 Taker. Kane is freaking out and yells at Taker that he's not real. He's sort of right.
Match starts with a brawl. Taker keeps scaring the ref out of the ring. More brawling. Blocked Old School attempt. They struggle both trying to choke slam each other, Kane gets off a huge choke slam. Taker comes back with flying clothesline and a botched choke slam. Tombstone. Match is over. 2/5.

World Heavyweight Championship Triple Threat Match
HHH vs Shawn Michaels vs Chris Benoit

Michaels & Benoit get the match going by chopping the everliving shit out of each other. The two work in some solid chain wrestling. Shawn hits a perfect moonsault from the top rope to the outside. Benoit triple Geman Suplex to HHH. HHH is constantly going for the Pedigree. Michaels gets in a German Suplex on Benoit, Benoit repays him immediately with three of his own and a top rope headbutt. HBK recovers and beats on HHH, beautiful top rope elbow drop and Sweet Chin Music. Benoit breaks up the pin. More chops. Shawn gets busted wide open from a catapult to the ring post, followed with a Crippler Crossface, HHH stops Shawn from tapping. More chops. Shawn & HHH give Benoit a double Suplex from one announcer table to another, they throw him down with force and the table explodes. HBK is absolutely covered in blood now. More chops. HHH hits Shawn with a Pedigree. Benoit breaks up pin. HHH is now bleeding like crazy for no reason. So much blood.
screenshot2015-08-10a0lppl.png

More chops. Pedigree attempt on Benoit reversed into Sharpshooter. Shawn murders Benoit with a super kick and breaks it up. Pin attempt, kick out. Shawn revs for another super kick, Benoit ducks and tosses him outside. HHH pedigree attempt, countered into Crippler Crossface and HHH taps. Benoit new WHC Champion. Standing ovation. JR is screaming at the top of his lungs "NEVER GIVE UP!! NEVER GIVE UP! FINALLY, FINALLY!". Guerrero comes out and embraces Benoit as they cry. Confetti. Close.
5/5.
screenshot2015-08-10ayhp55.png

It felt like that PPV was way too fucking long and filled with so many garbage matches that didn't belong in a Mania. The WWE Title and WHC matches are the only ones that make it worth while. What a weird Mania.

Nice recap Mahonay, WM20 has such a fascinating mix of solid and even a few great matches surrounded by some absolute turds.
The main event is still my favourite of all WM events.

And I'm pretty sure the only reason I ever remember Garrison Cade is because his finisher in Day of Reckoning was a vertical suplex.

Shiv47

2K16 needs to add Back Lump Kane as a pre-order special or something. Got a ticket to see the WWE house show in Detroit this weekend. First time I've been to one, so I'm looking forward to it. Seth, Owens, Jericho among those advertised to be there.

Top Bottom