• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritz

Banned
Doctor just said, "there's a difference between asthma and not being able to breathe"

Looks like they're letting me out soon once they prescribe some drugs for me. Which is cool, I'm about to go crazy being in this 3x3x3 room for three days straight. The only power I've had in the last few days have been if I'm sitting on the chair or sitting on the bed. If smartphones didn't exist I'd be so screwed.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ahh, to have more internet bandwidth. Towards the end of last month I caught up on Optus' naked plans and realised our service didn't exist any more. We were on 150GB (75 on-peak / 75 off-peak) @ $78, and you couldn't even check it in the system as it had become obsolete god knows when. Closest plan Optus had was $80 for 200GB with no on/off-peak shaping and no fees for downgrading. Got them to change it, because it's a bit ridiculous to have us sitting on 50GB less with archaic peak shaping that no currently offered plan has. The extra 50GB will go a long way between three people, as well the removal of peak shaping, so we no longer have to plan around downloading big stuff in off-peak first.

New mouse arrived too: Logitech G400s. Was running a G500 before, which has a few features I already miss, but nothing significant. Was happy to pay a little less for a little less yet still quality mouse.

At least this one doesn't randomly double click.

New mouse arrived too: Logitech G400s. Was running a G500 before, which has a few features I already miss, but nothing significant. Was happy to pay a little less for a little less yet still quality mouse.

At least this one doesn't randomly double click.

Yeah I moved to the G400 when my MX518 died and didn't like it initially but that changed fairly quickly and I like it a lot now, mainly because I don't use tons of buttons on the mouse anyway. Prefer that on the Keyboard.

hamchan

Ok, got my 64gb Vita memory card. Now I need somewhere to put my old 32gb so I don't lose it. Seriously, this thing is so tiny.

Danoss

The Katana: actually a pretty crap sword.

I never gave it much thought, but this is a pretty damn funny video.

Watching Vikings (a really good show you should watch, if you don't) has piqued my interest in a number of related topics. I saw a video yesterday demonstrating how it is believed Vikings used their shields, which was more of a weapon than a protective device, though it also served as such. Envisioning someone wielding a katana against another equipped with sword and shield, the person holding the katana would do better to drop it and run.

Dead Man

Watching Vikings (a really good show you should watch, if you don't) has piqued my interest in a number of related topics. I saw a video yesterday demonstrating how it is believed Vikings used their shields, which was more of a weapon than a protective device, though it also served as such. Envisioning someone wielding a katana against another equipped with sword and shield, the person holding the katana would do better to drop it and run.

Meh, the katana never was as special as people claimed, but it was designed for a particular role and performed it well. No different to any other sword really, I imagine if somebody picked up an estoc and tried slicing they would call it a bad sword too. In general, give me a good german longsword :) But I do agree that the Viking fighting techniques are pretty cool.

A good link with good stuff is http://www.myarmoury.com/home.html A bit more medieval in focus, it has a lot of good information about European swords, their featured articles are pretty good, if somewhat technical sometimes.

Perfect for slicing fruit. Someone should make a game about it.

Danoss

Meh, the katana never was as special as people claimed, but it was designed for a particular role and performed it well. No different to any other sword really, I imagine if somebody picked up an estoc and tried slicing they would call it a bad sword too. In general, give me a good german longsword :) But I do agree that the Viking fighting techniques are pretty cool.

A good link with good stuff is http://www.myarmoury.com/home.html A bit more medieval in focus, it has a lot of good information about European swords, their featured articles are pretty good, if somewhat technical sometimes.

Much of what is spoken of the katana and also the samurai is nothing more than myth. Basing beliefs in what is nothing more than entertainment only serves to get yourself into trouble or at least looking foolish. This video just pointed it out in an entertaining manner.

Had to look up what an estoc was and yep, and edgeless sword won't do much for you if it's slicing you're after, but perfect if penetrating mail or plate is what's needed. We can also look upon a lot of viking weapons as inferior since they were made of iron and not steel, but it was a limit of resources and not skill that was the cause of this.

I'm just finding interest in a lot of the Viking age stuff and what has stemmed from it. In a way it's like finding tadpoles or dinosaurs cool as a kid, except I don't have any in an aquarium outside, but I do have books.

Perfect for slicing fruit. Someone should make a game about it.

Combine this idea with Dead Man's estoc example and we could have Frier Tuck: stabbing fried foods with an estoc.

Dead Man

Much of what is spoken of the katana and also the samurai is nothing more than myth. Basing beliefs in what is nothing more than entertainment only serves to get yourself into trouble or at least looking foolish. This video just pointed it out in an entertaining manner.

Had to look up what an estoc was and yep, and edgeless sword won't do much for you if it's slicing you're after, but perfect if penetrating mail or plate is what's needed. We can also look upon a lot of viking weapons as inferior since they were made of iron and not steel, but it was a limit of resources and not skill that was the cause of this.

I'm just finding interest in a lot of the Viking age stuff and what has stemmed from it. In a way it's like finding tadpoles or dinosaurs cool as a kid, except I don't have any in an aquarium outside, but I do have books.

I didn't mean it wasn't accurate, I just thought that it was more common knowledge and seemed to be a bit silly. Which was probably the point and I missed it :) Anyway, Viking weapons and use are pretty cool, I saw something a while ago about how they used shields, axes and spears, it was pretty damn interesting. Can't remember the name of the show, sorry.

Combine this idea with Dead Man's estoc example and we could have Frier Tuck: stabbing fried foods with an estoc.

This needs to happen.

Are you talking about Viking the History channel show or Vikings the documentary?

Danoss

I didn't mean it wasn't accurate, I just thought that it was more common knowledge and seemed to be a bit silly. Which was probably the point and I missed it :) Anyway, Viking weapons and use are pretty cool, I saw something a while ago about how they used shields, axes and spears, it was pretty damn interesting. Can't remember the name of the show, sorry.

I just re-read my post and I can see how it could easily come across as me being an ass. It was my long-winded way of agreeing with you that it seems I completely fouled up in its delivery. Sorry about that mate.

If the name of that show pops into your head, please let me know, I'd definitely be interested in checking it out. This is the video I watched the other day on the use of sword and shield. Not to be taken as fact, because there's no way we can know, but his reasoning and basis in research/testing makes sense to me. Whilst I imagine theories used today weren't used back then, plenty of practice and experience in battle with others and amongst themselves is a worthy substitute.

The mock combat they have looks a little dumb, which they concede, but there's little else they can do without great protection to enable a lethal intent to their strikes without serious harm.

Are you talking about Viking the History channel show or Vikings the documentary?

I'm talking about Vikings the History channel show. The documentary only had 3 instalments, but the History channel show just got renewed for a 3rd season, and for good reason. Aussie Travis Fimmel plays the lead of Ragnar Lothbrok (or Lodbrok) and he's really damn good at it, not to mention that the rest of the cast are also very good.

They've taken liberties, as is necessary to create an enjoyable narrative, but there is a great deal they've gotten right. They don't present the Vikings as the savage brutes they've been painted to be, but seem to have taken a more neutral stance in showing what life was like for them (and the many positives found in their society), while still reminding you of the horrible things that they did.

markot

Banned
Durr, watching anything on the 'history' channel. I spit on its face.

Its a crime against history and all that it stands for. Stood for, whatever.

Quasar

Interesting to see Foxtel Play launched for PS3. Guess it wasnt worth it for MS Australia to keep it off Sony platforms.

Curious to see what happens with Xbone/PS4. does MS pay for avtimed exclusive?

Dimefan3

You're only hearing about this now? This has been news at least on my Facebook feed/friend group for months now.

Was only confirmed in the last few days. It's a real shame, a lot of history there. Although to be honest, I think I only been there once to see Cheech and Chong back in 08/09. I used to go to the palace 'complex' next door a bit (saw Slipknot, Fear Factory and Black Label society to name a few) before it burnt down.

I don't think it will be as big a loss to the live music scene in Melbourne as what many are making it out to be. There are a couple of venues I can think of that can fill the gap. It's still a bit of a blow, but not the end of the world.

Haha no.

PSN purchase.

Stuck with it.

kojima85yod.gif

tumblr_mhme6bP9rS1rhfzyao1_400.gif

markot

Banned
for reference how much is it?

i keep thinking of it as 'the tanker mission' from MGS2, but for MGS5
You mean the free demo we got that was free and didn't cost money?

Metal gear fans make me laugh. Most over rated thing since ever. It's the biggest pile of excrement. The biggest!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom