• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I know I don't post much in here, but any Aussies playing Marvel Heroes?

Keen for some sessions with peeps on the same time zone/interest level as me.

Three and a half years with no sleep and we still get treated like child molesters when we ask if we can try a scientific drug that everyone tells us is great rather than try circle jerk natural bullshit methods that line pockets but gives no results.

Just fantastic.

No wonder people hate their children.

Modafinil?

Shaneus

Stupid post-holiday quasi-depression thing. Damnit :(

I'm sure it'll be over once I'm back into normal sleeping/eating patterns... but for now, fuck it.

Modafinil?
Vallergan. I don't want something we need to give him all the time and a bunch of people I know through work/kindergarten have said how they would give it to their kid once then give smaller doses for 2-3 days afterwards before stopping all together. Since it works as a sedative it's more of a habit changing drug, put the warm coziness of sleep during the early AM hours into its rightful place in his habit loving brain.

But of course that means we are monsters and it's 100% our fault that he isn't sleeping. Ignoring the fact that he's a 3 and a half year old kid who holds all the cards of course.

I'd prefer to go this route rather than beat him or put a deadlock on his door and just hope he doesn't smash a window. That's not really an option in my mind.

Sooooooooo now to wait until a psychiatrist will do a ground session with us and whatever that entails. So maybe in a few months we will have pumped enough money into the health system for a doctor to prescribe (I just want to be 100% sure of dosage and timing damnit) a medicine that I can order online for under $20 no problem.

So yay. Still no sleep.

The doctor the wife got in the end after a string of money grubbing bigoted fuckwits was nice, despite recommending we change OUR sleep structure to suit his.
I mean, helllllllllllllllloooooooooooo.
The problem is HE isn't getting enough sleep. Us not getting enough sleep fucking sucks but the main problem is we can't do any activities with him because he is tired as fuck as soon as 8am rolls around yet refuses to take a nap or sleep until 7pm-ish.
I'm sick of him missing out on stuff because he's too damn stubborn to sleep when we tell him to. Plus the always evident bags under his eyes makes him look so sad, as if someone keeps giving him 2 black eyes every morning :(

Stupid post-holiday quasi-depression thing. Damnit :(

I'm sure it'll be over once I'm back into normal sleeping/eating patterns... but for now, fuck it.

Yay! Shane's back! How was the journey?

Amazon presents FireTV

DSC_1096.jpg

Chromecast + Apple Tv + Games console all-in-one.

legend166

I wonder if you'd be able to get emulators on it.

Doesn't look like they're shipping to Australia yet (or ever, who knows). I wouldn't mind gettng one.

DEALOCTOPUS.JPG

The great Vita firesale y'all!

JB has the wifi model (no GPS?) along with a 16GB mem card AND Lego Harry Potter, Lego Batman, Lego Batman 2, Lego Star Wars 3, Lego Pirates of the Caribbean & Lego Indiana Jones for $199!

Sorry Gaz!

(the PSP LEGO games are terrible tho)

Dat 16GB is way too small though. Make sure to import at 64GB one!

It's already up. Search for Mercenary Kings and the rest of the PS Plus games in the search bar.

Yeah usually hits just after midnight Wednesday nights. Wasn't up when I went to bed at half past twelve though :(

The ones in that pack? You might get a few dollars but I expect it's a one use digital code which might be annoying to find a buyer for.

HAHAHAHAH fuck

What game did you end up grabbing?

In any case I have heard terrible things about the PSP LEGO games so you aren't missing much there apparently!

And import a 64GB card! You will thank me in the long run!

To ease your pain here are some FREE* Vita games you can play right meow Gaz!

MotoGP 13!

Hotline Miami!

Sly Cooper 4!

Yay!

*while you subscribe to PS+

Gazunta

I ended up getting NO free games but I was like WHATEVER JUST LET ME GO HOME AND PLAY TxK ALREADY FUCK.

And all the stuff I have through PS+

Thanks for the reminder for me to grab this month's goodies!

Yeah I know I'll have to get the 64GB eventually...if TxK was 100mb, I'll fill my 8GB card in about 79 more Jeff Minter games.

Ah did they sell the Vita for like $168 or something without Killzone/LBP?

My local DSE are still selling the Vita for that price too which is nice to see.

Gazunta

Yeah the only one I could find was without any games, and I was just over the hunt so went fuck it fine, I only needed to play TxK anyway.

It's really lovely.

And I'm overjoyed that you can soon export from Game Maker to PS3 / PS4 / Vita, I think the game I'm (slowly)
very
tinkering with would be a great fit on Vita. Sigh. Not enough time in the day!

Stackboy

I still have hope that Amazon will launch in Australia this year.

Sounds like Foxtel is nervous about Netflix being available locally, officially, too.

I still have hope that Amazon will launch in Australia this year.

Sounds like Foxtel is nervous about Netflix being available locally, officially, too.

I'm surprised they haven't yet, must be a good reason for them both not to as they'd make a killing I would have thought.

Gazunta

I remember talking to someone at Netflix in the states about this a few years ago, and they told me they had entered into a deal with Telstra and they were under the impression Telstra were already carrying Netflix in Australia.

Sounded to me like Telstra did a deal with them and warehoused the idea for years. Maybe it was some exclusivity deal that hasn't expired yet. Wouldn't be the first time this kind of thing happened.

senahorse

Oh wow. I was kind of impressed with Foxtel launching Presto, especially if it eventually got TV content later on for the same price, but it not having an Android app is pretty pathetic.

Android has two thirds of the market in Australia, with iOS only having a quarter =\

Forget that, Presto doesn't even support HD lolz. Who releases a streaming media service in 2014 without HD, Foxtel that's who.

Netflix?

I am not sure they particularly care as Australians seem pretty happy to just get around the barriers.

see this hyperbolic article about 'netflix pirates'

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/med...irates-on-board/story-fna045gd-1226842998214#

Both of them. Yeah, but I'm sure they'd get a lot more people if they officially "released" in Australia. Yeah read that the other week, hyperbolic is putting it nicely. It always amuses me when people who are actually paying for content get referred to as pirates.

senahorse

Not sure if Netflix will come to Australia any time soon, last I heard they were concerned of licencing costs of media in this country, but I seriously would love for some local competition to Foxtel. I would happily pay 30/month for Netflix if it released locally.

Not sure if Netflix will come to Australia any time soon, last I heard they were concerned of licencing costs of media in this country, but I seriously would love for some local competition to Foxtel. I would happily pay 30/month for Netflix if it released locally.

Do you have it atm?

jambo

Will be interesting to see if people are happy to move from $14 ($9 + $5) to $30 a month, especially if there is any difference in available content because of licensing issues.

senahorse

I am sure a lot of people would, as a lot already pay for foxtel. It was estimated that there are already up to 200,000 Australians signed up to Netflix as it is. I think Foxtel is worried as well, as is evidenced by the scare campaigns their papers are running.

I'm more interested if/when netflix will physically lock accounts to a region. As it stands studios are enforcing hard coded subs on a few netflix regions which I'm sure is in relation to them knowing people switch regions.

senahorse

I doubt Netflix will do anything, they would instantly cut a good chunk off their bottom line. People will always find ways around these region blocking mechanisms. Also what studios/regions are forcing subs? I change regions a fair bit and haven't noticed this.

I remember talking to someone at Netflix in the states about this a few years ago, and they told me they had entered into a deal with Telstra and they were under the impression Telstra were already carrying Netflix in Australia.

Sounded to me like Telstra did a deal with them and warehoused the idea for years. Maybe it was some exclusivity deal that hasn't expired yet. Wouldn't be the first time this kind of thing happened.
Makes sense. Foxtel asks Telstra to lock away Netflix, Foxtel pays Telstra a shit ton of money to sit on rights so Netflix doesn't exist here.

cleaned up a dog that ran on the road out of nowhere last night, feels bad.
Sorry dude, don't blame yourself :(

Forget that, Presto doesn't even support HD lolz
yfPSPPQ.gif

I'm interested in seeing how many people will pay $30 a month after having prolonged exposure to pirating everything.

Plenty will if Netflix runs well. People will pay money for convenience.

If it's a choppy mess due to our shitty internet people will say fuck this and just go download a copy that won't stop/start constantly.

The big thing is to launch perfectly. None of this 'server issues' bullshit that gets trundled out for every new service and online video game. Damaging that first impression will take effort to revert.

I doubt Netflix will do anything, they would instantly cut a good chunk off their bottom line. People will always find ways around these region blocking mechanisms. Also what studios/regions are forcing subs? I change regions a fair bit and haven't noticed this.

Mexico does, you can watch it in Spanish without subs but as soon as you flick over to English audio you have to watch with subs. There are work arounds for PC/mac but nothing for seperate players ie. ps3 etc.

senahorse

Hmmm I have watched a few things on Mexico recently and haven't noticed it, must of got lucky. I believe if you use Adfreetime you can block subtitles.

senahorse

Also I signed up for the free trial of Amazon Prime instant streaming. And it will not play HD on PS3, either there is some rate limiting going on, or the connection between me and Amazon is shite.

Also I signed up for the free trial of Amazon Prime instant streaming. And it will not play HD on PS3, either there is some rate limiting going on, or the connection between me and Amazon is shite.

Prime streaming is usually as good as Netflix for me. That said, if you try to watch either in US prime time, it's likely to downres on the fly. That might be my ISP (Comcast). Prime also has a pretty decent selection though there's a ton of overlap.

Prime has Bunheads and a few more UK shows than Netflix.

senahorse

These last few days I haven't once managed a HD stream from Prime, yet on Netflix it goes and stays on 1080P Super HD after a matter of seconds. Maybe Telstra is purposely preferring a crappy route, I wouldn't put it past them. For reference my speed is not an issue, my cable syncs at a minimum of 115Mb/s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom