• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 10 - Node Country for Old Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah I moved to the G400 when my MX518 died and didn't like it initially but that changed fairly quickly and I like it a lot now, mainly because I don't use tons of buttons on the mouse anyway. Prefer that on the Keyboard.

Same for me. High DPI > buttons. I don't play MMOs, so as long as I've got my standard clicks plus a couple of extras I'm happy to keep everything else on the keyboard. Liking the G400s so far. Comfortable, performs well. I do miss the mouse wheel lock toggle of the G500s, but it's no deal breaker.

I don't see the problem with charging a 'high' price for a two hour game. Compared to other games, is it expensive? Well, no, it's cheaper. Is the 'per-hour' price expensive? Yep, but so what? I'd rather a shorter engaging experience over a protracted one where I give up caring 1/4 of the way through.

But then, I'm a hypocrite because there's no way I'd buy a game that short for that price (nor do I really pay that price for any games any more)...

The real question for people who bought it at 'full' price is: did you enjoy it?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Konami is free to charge what they want, but it's pretty transparent to me that in any other case Ground Zeroes would be seen as a demo, Konami is only releasing it because Metal Gear Solid V is taking forever and they want a quick deposit, and for those reasons I will not give them a cent. Value is relative and if people think it's worth the investment that's fine, but fuck that noise from where I'm sitting. Will wait for the full release
on PC

Omikron

Konami is free to charge what they want, but it's pretty transparent to me that in any other case Ground Zeroes would be seen as a demo, Konami is only releasing it because Metal Gear Solid V is taking forever and they want a quick deposit, and for those reasons I will not give them a cent. Value is relative and if people think it's worth the investment that's fine, but fuck that noise from where I'm sitting. Will wait for the full release
on PC

What is the bet that Ground Zeroes is bundled into the final product...

Value is relative and if people think it's worth the investment that's fine, but fuck that noise from where I'm sitting..
Yeah, I do agree. It just seems a lot of the yelling about the price is weird. If you love the series, you've probably already bought it. I've never played any besides the NES Metal Gear, so I don't get the attachment.

Might've been nice to include a voucher inside the box or loyalty discount for digital purchases towards the full game. But, modern publishers etc. Maybe they'll give an alternate costume instead for people who have the save on their system.

senahorse

At least people on GAF and other similar forums have the choice, as they are informed. I really feel for the unsuspecting retail shopper, thinking they are getting a new Metal Gear game only to find it end 1-2 hours later. Also, wow at the price mark up in this country to $50, I thought $30 sounded like a complete ripoff, but $50 lol. I haven't spent $50 on a game since Last of Us and I have bought a crapload of games since on day one.

markot

Banned
Why do people like metal gear?

The story? dont make me vomit.

The gameplay? Dont make me vomit.

The... well thats all there is? dont make me vomit.

Metal gear solid 3 was hailed as the best thing everrrrrrrr. So I went out and bought it, thinking the reviews might be accurate to some degree.

THEN THE CAMERA DIDNT WORK AT ALL AND THE GAME WAS PAINFUL TO PLAYYYYYYYYYYY.

I didnt get my money back. So fuck em. Then they release the 'super' version with WORKING CAMERA as a feature?

Never touching that shit again. Never ever. Everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

And now we have people paying for a demo? Reviewers not laughing them out of town? The people not rising up as one to condemn them? Truly the worst fanbase since fan base.

Gazunta

I thought GT Concept was a free demo in Japan that was sold as a retail release everywhere else?

Edit: Or do I mean GT 5 Prologue? Probably that. Either way Markot's right
Thought I'd never say that

markot

Banned
Why do you say it's a demo? Because it's short? What about GT Concept, Stanley Parable, Gone Home, Dear Esther? Are they all demoes too?

Because its a slice of a bigger pie given to whet the appetite for the release of a real game?

DEMONSTRATIONAAAAAAAALLLLLLLL

Because in the good old days it would have been a demo? Because its a demo? DEMO!

hamchan

I'm betting quite likely. Since some important story stuff happens in GZ, they probably want people to play it before getting into 5. If not it'll at least be free on PS+ by next year or discounted so much that I won't mind paying for it.

Also it's incredibly shady that it has the MGSV title. Like it's trying to trick people into thinking it's MGSV proper.

Why do you say it's a demo? Because it's short?

People are calling it a demo because its core content is equivalent to the demos of Metal Gear Solid 2's "Tanker Chapter" and Metal Gear Solid 3's "Virtuous Mission" which were included with Zone of the Enders and an issue of Official Playstation Magazine respectively.

Edit: Or do I mean GT 5 Prologue? Probably that.]
Maybe I meant Prologue ... The one that cost money!

Because its a slice of a bigger pie given to whet the appetite for the release of a real game?
You're probably better off to consider it more like (overpriced to equivalent) DLC than a demo. It includes an entire story/section/whatever it is.

People are calling it a demo because its core content is equivalent to the demos of Metal Gear Solid 2's "Tanker Chapter" and Metal Gear Solid 3's "Virtuous Mission" which were included with Zone of the Enders and an issue of Official Playstation Magazine respectively.
So they got something for free once, and now they expect new content free forever? Got it.

Why am I defending publishers here... what's going on? Regardless, I still don't see the big deal. You don't like it? Don't buy it. Low sales is all they'll give a shit about.

EatChildren

At EB only

homer_screamingl3s25.gif

The MGS3 camera was the same top down view as the earlier games in the series and worked quite well.

The overall story for the series is absurd and that works for the series.

Might've been nice to include a voucher inside the box or loyalty discount for digital purchases towards the full game. But, modern publishers etc. Maybe they'll give an alternate costume instead for people who have the save on their system.
I got a code for DLC for The Phantom Pain in the Ground Zeroes case, but I can't remember if it said what it is.

So they got something for free once, and now they expect new content free forever? Got it.

That's literally it. Entitled gamers. You've cracked the case.

Your original argument about short games and whatever was better. For example I didn't mind paying $90 at release for House of the Dead: Overkill and a couple of plastic gun shells despite it being like four or five hours long because that was the game as designed and it was fun and funny and you'd replay it a lot to improve your score.

Ground Zeroes isn't a short game. It's the first level of a game.

Sony's first party post-release support has been fantastic, Second Son is getting another patch letting you change time-of-day, turn the HUD on/off and cap the framerate at 30FPS if you want.

"It's really replayable" they said

"It'll be great" they said
Seems the fans who go out and earn all the badges in previous games are getting a ton of enjoyment out of the game while the people who play for the batshit insane story feel pretty jipped.

I'm more of a story player rather than a meticulous design player (which is why I can't play grand strat games but can easily sit through another COD) so I wouldn't be playing it unless I had a shitload of free time that I would dive in with.

At least people on GAF and other similar forums have the choice, as they are informed. I really feel for the unsuspecting retail shopper, thinking they are getting a new Metal Gear game only to find it end 1-2 hours later.
They have 7 days to return it at least so I'd expect a lot of pre-owned copies at EB lol

Also, wow at the price mark up in this country to $50, I thought $30 sounded like a complete ripoff, but $50 lol. I haven't spent $50 on a game since Last of Us and I have bought a crapload of games since on day one.
Konami has always been a mess down here. Not sure who is to blame, Konami or the distributor (who has had a ton of issues it seems).

Bunch of my friends who are die hard MGS fans are loving GZ and happy with the purchase. They're the ones targeted by this "demo" - they don't care if a 2 hour game costs $30, they will buy it regardless.

I like MGS too but I'm not crazy enough to spend $30 on it. I'd rather rent the thing for loose change.

99%, GZ is the first mission of Phantom Pain.

markot

Banned
The MGS3 camera was the same top down view as the earlier games in the series and worked quite well.

The overall story for the series is absurd and that works for the series.

I got a code for DLC for The Phantom Pain in the Ground Zeroes case, but I can't remember if it said what it is.

Lol?

A top down camera in open jungles and so forth?

Thats the stupidest thing ive ever heard.

Dead Man

So, just to change the subject a bit from highly priced demos, the fan on my cooler in my PC is rattling like a motherfucker. I can just replace the fan, right? They are all standard dimensions as long as you get the right fan size?

Quasar

Just ordered a chromecast off ebay as the smart tv functions in my new tv is so unreliable. Hopefully this is nice and stable.

I think the only issue would be your wifi signal (and internet connection). I've found it to be quite stable, surprisingly so given my normal preference for gigabit rather than wireless.

It's easy for people to forget, but back in 1998 Metal Gear Solid was a killer game on several levels. It had better production values, story, variety and attention to detail than most games of its time. The original MGS is a legit classic.

Anyone who doesn't agree most likely didn't play it at the time.

I think the only issue would be your wifi signal (and internet connection). I've found it to be quite stable, surprisingly so given my normal preference for gigabit rather than wireless.

Both are pretty good, well by that I mean I've yet to encounter any issues speed wise. Hopefully this places nicely.

How much? Super keen to get my PS3 back off the wife >_<

$65 off ebay for one that's already in Australia. I could have saved a little bit but didn't really want to wait for international postage etc. I'll let you know the seller if I get mine without hassles if you want?

Three and a half years with no sleep and we still get treated like child molesters when we ask if we can try a scientific drug that everyone tells us is great rather than try circle jerk natural bullshit methods that line pockets but gives no results.

Just fantastic.

No wonder people hate their children.

Quasar

Can you stream anything to the chromecast or are you locked to google store stuff?

If the app you use supports chromecast you can stream anything. For me my default is using Plex, which client-server spinoff of xbmc. Theres support for some dlna apps too.

But theres quite a few mainstream media apps that support it (netflix, hulu, vudu, rdio, hbo, crackle, etc). Of course with it not officially out in Australia theres no support for local apps like say iview or quickflix or foxtel.

Essentially you are limited to what android/ios apps add support or you can stream from a chrome browser though thats a bit clunky in my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom