• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren870

Heading to SA this weekend from Melbourne. Whats good to see nature wise? Especially on the way? We will be going inland though, not via the GOR done that already.

How was it? What did you cure it with and what did you smoke it in?
It's pretty good! I made a few mistakes but I'm happy with it.

I used cure salt #1 that I found on eBay, along with a cheap 1kg pork belly I found at Coles. Cured it for a fortnight in the cure salt and with table salt (should've been 7-9 days, got lazy), along with some maple syrup. I didn't smoke it because I couldn't be bothered to setup the barbecue to do it, and I figured I'd keep it simple to start.

I didn't expect the wife would tell me I can't leave it in the fridge unwrapped after curing to dry out, so instead I popped it in the oven, but I left it for a bit long and maybe a bit high, so it started to cook a little bit. The end result is still pretty good, and I'll definitely do it again. It's actually less salty than I wanted too, which is weird.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Adelaide will likely be the end destination. Not too far away from Melbourne.

Enjoy the traffic! take the Mount Gambier way, some nice things along there, naracortte caves, wild life parks, dead kangaroos on the road.

dont bring fruit in your car accross the border, it's not allowed. and on occasion they do have roadblocks set up and pull people over to search their cars for fruit.

MoonGred

Enjoy the traffic! take the Mount Gambier way, some nice things along there, naracortte caves, wild life parks, dead kangaroos on the road.

dont bring fruit in your car accross the border, it's not allowed. and on occasion they do have roadblocks set up and pull people over to search their cars for fruit.

What is the reason behind that fruit rule?

Darren870

Hahah, yea will be going in land as much as we want to avoid the GOR and the traffic there. I know we will be hitting a bit of it, but we've never been to SA. Looking at some journey planners now.

Good to know on the fruit. Usually we have apple and bananas in the car. Will make sure to get rid of em before SA.

Its pretty common around all Australia I thought. I would have looked into it. Plenty of times have I seen your not allowed to take X across this line without written permission. Standard quarantine rules to avoid the spread of disease, plants and wild life I'd imagine.

Dead Man

Heading to SA this weekend from Melbourne. Whats good to see nature wise? Especially on the way? We will be going inland though, not via the GOR done that already.

Inland? Nothing, nothing to see at all. Except the Grampians, I suppose. Rest of the drive will suck arse though. Closer to Adelaide the Adelaide Hills have plenty of beautiful spots, but you hit them almost any route.

Good advice here. Dead roos especially ;) But yeah, down around Mt Gambier is real nice, the Naracoorte Caves are probably the most essential rural sight on the way thatI would suggest.

Fruit fly is not prevalent in SA, it's a quarantine thing to try and keep it that way.

jambo

I'm heading down to the in-laws farm in Padthaway, nice little town you could check out.

Dead Man

Hahah, yea will be going in land as much as we want to avoid the GOR and the traffic there. I know we will be hitting a bit of it, but we've never been to SA. Looking at some journey planners now.

Good to know on the fruit. Usually we have apple and bananas in the car. Will make sure to get rid of em before SA.

Its pretty common around all Australia I thought. I would have looked into it. Plenty of times have I seen your not allowed to take X across this line without written permission. Standard quarantine rules to avoid the spread of disease, plants and wild life I'd imagine.

You can go from Melbourne past the south side of the Grampians and then to Mt Gambier. If you go something like Ballarat to Hamilton and then to Mt Gambier, then up to Naracoorte, from their just haul arse to Keith (Say hi to Jambo for us at Padthaway) and turn left along the ugly boring highway to the Adelaide hills. Or you could head for Kingston or Robe from Naracoorte and see the Coorong, not sure how it looks these days though with the low flow from the Murray.

Haha google maps pacman is great.

Yes it is. Just spent way too much time playing it.

Rezbit

It's pretty good! I made a few mistakes but I'm happy with it.

I used cure salt #1 that I found on eBay, along with a cheap 1kg pork belly I found at Coles. Cured it for a fortnight in the cure salt and with table salt (should've been 7-9 days, got lazy), along with some maple syrup. I didn't smoke it because I couldn't be bothered to setup the barbecue to do it, and I figured I'd keep it simple to start.

I didn't expect the wife would tell me I can't leave it in the fridge unwrapped after curing to dry out, so instead I popped it in the oven, but I left it for a bit long and maybe a bit high, so it started to cook a little bit. The end result is still pretty good, and I'll definitely do it again. It's actually less salty than I wanted too, which is weird.

Pics?!

Darren870

Cheers DeadMan, thanks for the tips. I'll probably stop at all of those on the way.

Hows Kangaroo Island?? Worth the trip?

Keep your windows up while going through Hamilton!

Rep I jumped on that $24 Getflix deal last night. Turns out it's a lifetime deal, so when the 12 months is up, it renews at that same price!

Can watch Community on Yahoo Screen using the Getflix DNS too!

Yup GetFlix are good people :)

HolyCheck

don't forget to see the greatest SA has to offer in kingston

1280px-Kingston_SE_lobster.JPG

HolyCheck

oh snap, fun fact!

I just found out that the guy who designed and created the big lobster, also created scotty!

640px-The_Big_Scotsman.jpg

Darren870

Looks like American Bacon.

I love the Big things of Australia. One of my travel books has a list of them all. Trying to cross them all off as I see this place.

Dead Man

oh snap, fun fact!

I just found out that the guy who designed and created the big lobster, also created scotty!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/07/The_Big_Scotsman.jpg/640px-The_Big_Scotsman.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I've lived near to two works of one of the greatest artists in history and never knew. So blessed.

[quote="codswallop, post: 158356135"]I can never get good American-style bacon in Australia! It's always rasher bacon and criminally undercooked. So, I made my own![/QUOTE]

That's because it is an evil waste of the belly of the pig. And a wasteful ignorance of the greatness that is back bacon. Australia does undercook its bacon though, I will agree on that. And I do actually prefer rashers of middle bacon with both the belly and back.

[quote="Cruncho, post: 158357461"]That Koala has seen some shit[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/sTm3b70.png

Cruncho pls.

oh man, A*Mazing
dem memories

YES! This is something you would benefit from rectifying immediately.

Friday Night Lights is my favourite tv series of all time. It was like no other show before and I'm sure it won't be done again. The scripting, acting, camera operation and direction all contributed to something that feels natural and real, because it was.

Actors were given specific (dialogue) beats to hit, but the rest was up to them to improvise, including movements and actions—there were no marks for them to stand on.

This gave camera units some real work to do, with the actors movements being unpredictable. Often they'd be hiding in bushes or out of sight, but with room to manoeuvre so as to allow the actors to be in the moment. Many actors said this was done so well that they often didn't know where the cameras were. Some camera operators said they didn't want to work on another production after FNL ended, because this was what they thought it would be like, where they could be creative too.

Both these things made life difficult for the sound crew, because boom mics were off the table for the most part to avoid being in shots or hampering the actors movements. Sometimes you'll notice the sound may be a little off or muffled because they had to directly mic each actor and if they hug, it gets covered. They'd hide mics in parts of the location, like in bins and other places out of sight.

Without hearing from any of the shows crew, most of this would go unnoticed. Hearing it and reading about it makes it so much more interesting to me and helps explain why I had such a strong connection to the show and its characters.

Season 2 is a bit rough near the beginning, but I believe that was due to pressure from NBC at the time. It bounces back and is solid right through to the end.

This is why you're great Danoss haha
FNL is probably my favourite show of all time too but the best I can manage as a recommendation is pretty much a 'yeah it's great'. Your passionate expression of what makes something worthwhile is definitely what got me into The Genius and is fun to read as a big FNL fan.

Please Holy
Giant_Koala.jpg

haha wtf
this koala is fucked up

Dude crispy bacon is amazing. I'd love to eat your bacon...*cough*

Can we keep this blatant flirting out of ausgaf pls

Just got telstra cable installed after my ADSL2 connection inexplicably went down the gutter over the last two months. Syncing at 36Mbps which is a pretty big improvement over the between 1-6MBps I was getting before.

Read you guys getting upgrades to 1TB limits a while back, the highest they had on offer when I signed up was 500GB

MoonGred

Bloodborne is the first souls games I've played blind and what a journey it's been. I have no clue if I'm going in order or skipping massive amount of content. In the last few hours this went down
I wandered through a forest which somehow led to the beginning area. I went back to a previous area because I got sidetracked and somehow I triggered a cut scene which transported me to a castle where I'm getting killed by spider women now.
I'm so lost in this game.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I remember the first time I went to Costco.

It was in Seoul, and after shopping I ate an entire Costco pizza by myself in five minutes and just walked away from it like I was Mark Hunt after KOing Stefan Struve. The entire cafeteria was full of Korean dudes who were just legit shook by what I'd just done.

And American bacon sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom