• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

senahorse

News of the week:

KOTOR 2 Update
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/07/...assive-update?abthid=55ae6be908edff3d73000011

As well as the game now also being available for Mac, SteamOS / Linux, there is a substantial update for all platforms for the first time in years.

This includes

• Support for up to 5K resolution
  • Widescreen Support
  • Controller Support
  • Steam Achievements
  • Steam Cloud
  • Steam Workshop Support - including Sith Lords Restored Content Mod -- a mode that completes KOTOR 2, which had missing chunks at launch and Story elements

Edit - Update and Workshop content is now available

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1082492

Roulette

Anyone know where I can get a cheap 2TB external USB drive? I'm interstate and can't do much research atm. All I've seen are those seagate drives for $150 at Dick Smith.

Stackboy

Nearly everything I look at requires two years experience and a drivers licence and own transport.
And that's for the shit jobs.

Can you type on a keyboard? You should try hitting up temp agencies for admin jobs. Spruik your resume to say you know how to use MS Office applications and you are on your way. Go meet with like 5 temp agencies, then call them up every morning at 7am and ask if they have any temp jobs that day, as that's the prime time. I tempted for about 18 months, made some great contacts and got some decent experience in different state and federal departments and helped me to understand how the system works. You can do it!!

MARIO KART 8 SOUNDTRACK CD ON CLUB NINTENDO NOW!

I always find myself dancing to all the music in this game.

The place I was doing work for the dole has funding for an extra position! Now they tell me, after they find out the job agency swapped me out to work elsewhere. My immediate bosses are going to suggest today to the boss one level higher that they hire me part time.

I like my chances because they really want me to continue and they have the funding...

So them thinking they will lose me motivated them to try to hire me, something I thought could happen but thought that it would need to wait until next financial year for the funding.

Rizzi

The place I was doing work for the dole has funding for an extra position! Now they tell me, after they find out the job agency swapped me out to work elsewhere. My immediate bosses are going to suggest today to the boss one level higher that they hire me part time.

I like my chances because they really want me to continue and they have the funding...

So them thinking they will lose me motivated them to try to hire me, something I thought could happen but thought that it would need to wait until next financial year for the funding.

That's awesome!

Dimefan3

Man, Rizzi, your struggle makes me feel a little better about my own situation. I've been jobless now for nearly four months and to say the hunt has been fruitless would be an understatement. There was a three week period there where literally no jobs I'm qualified for were posted and I was applying for the longest of long shots. The last place I interviewed with was due to a personal referral and even there, it turned out there was no job.

Still, I at least have savings, work experience and qualifications. Worst case scenario, I get on a plane and do FIFO again or move somewhere else.

On a related note, does anyone know how I might get some experience with enterprise software, say SAP or Maximo?

I'm in a similar situation. It's been about two and a half months for me, I've had a few leads, and nearly had an offer in Adelaide that fell through because they had to promote someone within their network. I had one face to face interview last week that I'm still waiting to hear from, and another email today from one I applied for in June saying they're still making a decision.

All I want is a new job in my field so I can move on from the circus that was the start of the year. It's not helping when my brain is making me literally dream about being in a new job.

Honestly, I wish we could all just do a take two of 2015.

Got one this morning. Rocked up at seven and there were a few people already there, two other people got PS4s. Looked like they had a roll cage full of various consoles out the back.

The crew sounds terrible and LBP is a bit redundant with Mario Maker coming - where's the best place to trade them in on short notice?

I too picked one up this morning! You could always try returning just the games as they are listed as seperate items on the receipt.

Anyone know where I can get a cheap 2TB external USB drive? I'm interstate and can't do much research atm. All I've seen are those seagate drives for $150 at Dick Smith.
I'll keep an eye out, Amazon has them for $99 posted every now and then.

My 5TB one from Office Works arrived today, only $149 :)

I too picked one up this morning! You could always try returning just the games as they are listed as seperate items on the receipt.

Oh that's super handy, yeah I'd return them for the best $$$ I expect.

Danoss

SYDNEY GAF

I'm gonna be in town this Sunday. Want to meet up for food and / or alcohol?

Also, recommend some stuff to do in Sydney that I can do in the three days I'll be there. Never been before. I'm a tubby little fat man so "climb a big bridge" is a welcome but probably not super viable option, but "go look at some little monkeys" or "eat a lot of terrible food" are probably around my speed.

:D

I would be up for it, but am not in a position to leave my gran unattended for long.

Sticking around the house for most of the time hasn't left me in good shape either. We could've hung out and been tubby little fat men together. It's probably for the best though – my lack of social life has likely left me at least a little odd.

forklift licence is not as easy as it used to be, worksafe have overhauled the entire process and 1 in 3 fail on first attempt now.

66 questions, you can only get 4 wrong, plus 15 'star' questions thst are randomly mixed in with an instant fail if you get one of those wrong.

so if you do attempt it dont expect the easy run through like the old days and study the shit outta the book.

I wouldn't have expected anything less than a high standard. Out of an entire group of those attempting their P motorcycle license practical, I was one of only 2 to pass. Both it and the forklift license tests are the same in that failure results in paying to attempt it once again.

Any unemployed person burning the cash to give it a go would be a fool to treat it like earning a participation certificate.

The prices on these have gone up as our dollar value has gone down, but you should be able to find a 2TB unit for just under $130 if there aren't any on special somewhere. If you don't need it to be portable, and can afford a little extra, there is the option of getting this USB HDD dock or one like it and using bare HDDs. Great for backing up (especially multiple backups or additional storage where you can repurpose some older, smaller drives), but clearly useless for portability.

Darren870

Got mine at officeworks. Was $129. They have some $99 ones on clearance too:

http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/seagate-2tb-expansion-desktop-hard-drive-sgbv2000gb
http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/...-canvio-usb3-0-portable-hard-drive-to2tbcanba
http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/wd-2tb-elements-portable-hard-drive-black-wdel2tbbk

senahorse

I wouldn't have expected anything less than a high standard. Out of an entire group of those attempting their P motorcycle license practical, I was one of only 2 to pass. Both it and the forklift license tests are the same in that failure results in paying to attempt it once again.

Must be different in NSW. In Qld it's so easy it's pretty damn stupid. My gf and I did about 6 hours practice, myself with off-road experience as a kid and my gf having never ridden a motorbike before. The training school does the test, not the transport department and we both passed first go with no problems. Needless to say we spent the next 3 months actually learning for real, which is similar to a car but with way less experience and protection should things go wrong. Add to that, some of the LAMS approved bikes are just stupid that they allow you to get, the whole system needs a lot more work, I am not surprised to see someone killed on a bike in the news pretty much every day. They seem to have got it right with car licences, now requiring a lot more hours before you can take a test.

Pretty sure it's the one that doesn't have the disc ejecting problem Clive

I lie. That's a design flaw that'll exist randomly until they do a remodel

well, the newer model 500GB that's just come out in Japan has proper buttons rather than touch sensitive bits the launch model have. Just wondering (it's probably gonna be not till later in the year). The 1TB just launched is the older/current model.

:/

You have that problem, too?

yeah, it's manageable ATM if I avoid putting it into rest mode (power down completely and removing the power plug overnight seems to help a lot). Occasional screw tightening and cleaning of dust around the 'buttons.' But in the end, it's my multiplat machine so I want a working one.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Try being unemployed for two and a half years.

Unless you've had a long-term injury/circumstances that's stopped you from working - and with all due respect here - this sounds like it's just as much your fault as it is the job market.

I've been unemployed for large amounts of time in the last 10 years but was able to take steps to rectify that by either training myself in new skills in my spare time, taking jobs that are beneath me, or by taking drastic measures such as moving 9 timezones in order to get a job. No-one, not even in the most job-starved regions of developed countries, should go a year without finding work - let alone two and a half.

Have you hit up your local McDonalds or Hungry Jacks? What about Coles, Woolworths, and other entry-level retail positions? What about bottom-rung office positions such as data entry? Or inbound call centre work? Or finding some farm work out in the countryside? And in your downtime, why don't you study something online? Learn some HTML/CSS or C#. Learn how to use software like Photoshop and video editors. Learn another language. Use the infinite free resources on the internet to give yourself better career/life prospects.

I know from experience just how crushing it can be to have to jump through hoops and sing and dance to receive unemployment benefits from the government. That and I'm sorry if you think I'm being harsh or kicking you while you're down here.

CUH-1102A was a mistake. It's nothing but trash.

My semi-broken one is the 1001A (US launch model). The model with the new buttons/slightly lighter/slightly less power consumption/matte finish is the 1200.

Oh well. Fingers crossed I got a good one. Though matte would of been nice, glossy can go get fucked.

Rizzi

Unless you've had a long-term injury/circumstances that's stopped you from working - and with all due respect here - this sounds like it's just as much your fault as it is the job market.

I've been unemployed for large amounts of time in the last 10 years but was able to take steps to rectify that by either training myself in new skills in my spare time, taking jobs that are beneath me, or by taking drastic measures such as moving 9 timezones in order to get a job. No-one, not even in the most job-starved regions of developed countries, should go a year without finding work - let alone two and a half.

Have you hit up your local McDonalds or Hungry Jacks? What about Coles, Woolworths, and other entry-level retail positions? What about bottom-rung office positions such as data entry? Or inbound call centre work? Or finding some farm work out in the countryside? And in your downtime, why don't you study something online? Learn some HTML/CSS or C#. Learn how to use software like Photoshop and video editors. Learn another language. Use the infinite free resources on the internet to give yourself better career/life prospects.

I know from experience just how crushing it can be to have to jump through hoops and sing and dance to receive unemployment benefits from the government. That and I'm sorry if you think I'm being harsh or kicking you while you're down here.
If you think I've been applying for only the very best jobs then you are wrong. I apply for EVERYTHING that doesn't require experience.

Roulette

Thanks reptile/Danoss/Darren870. I had a 2TB seagate with a power supply, but it seems to have failed. I'm looking for a usb only one, now. Didn't even know they had 5tb external drives!

If you think I've been applying for only the very best jobs then you are wrong. I apply for EVERYTHING that doesn't require experience.

I agree with industrian.

I'm not an expert (my own employment situation hasn't been great for a loooong time) but here's what I have learned.

I don't know what sorts of jobs are available in Newcastle but I do feel you probably need to get some form of qualification. If there's a decent office training or hospitality course near you, that would probably be helpful. For experience: volunteer work at a charity- Salvos, Lifeline or whatever.

secondly, whatever it is you are doing when you are applying for jobs, you're doing something wrong if you're not getting an occasional phone interview. It might be your cover letters are riddled with grammatical or spelling errors, or your resume has too much that is irrelevant to the position. Your cover letter needs to paint a picture of how your experience, talent and skills (whatever they are) can benefit their business, even a menial job at Macdonalds. Even something as simple as putting your application in an A4 envelope compared to a letter-size envelope helps.

So what if your experience isn't a direct match for what they put in the ad? tell them what you can do/have done and how it will help them. The other thing is to not be remotely self-deprecating when you apply for a job or give them any reason to knock you back. Don't ever lie, but also don't tell them things you can't do or any reason why they shouldn't hire. Lack of confidence kills your job prospects. Also any hint of desperation or anything that sounds like a challenge to them.

Also, template cover letters will also kill your prospects. your cover letter and your resume do need to be tailored to the role you're applying for.

If you do get an interview, post again for more tips. The other thing to do if you do get an interview is to send a short message the next day thanking them for their time.

Fredescu

Dude lives in a coal mining town. You guys know how the coal industry is going? Advice is good, but it's pointless being judgmental about it.

Angry and upset. That's me, at least.

That last round misdirect was the worst part. How Kyungrun looked at the end summed up how I felt too. His exit was classy, entertaining and even uplifting in a way only he can produce.

It was amazing to watch people fall for Sangmin's shenanigans all the time. I always wondered why he wasn't ignored and booted by players in a bid to avoid his betrayals and selfish play. This is not a jab at him, it's a legitimate strategy and no one does it better. He is so charismatic that he's able to do it time and time again, even when he's backed into a corner with seemingly no means of escape.

Teaming up with the most unlikeable, socially inept and strategically impaired people in the entire cast was his downfall. Sure, a person like that is an excellent shield because no one has a problem taking him down, except when that person openly says "hey guys, I'm secretly helping Sangmin who's betraying you" and doesn't realise it's no longer a secret after saying it. I thought Sangmin was truly screwed after that, but he once again finds a way out of trouble, until captain dipshit opens his mouth again after being explicitly told not to—bad dog!

Sangmin was right saying that it would be embarrassing to be knocked out by Kyunghoon. I do think that came, in part, from underestimating his opponent. What I believe was unfair is that Kyunghoon was allowed to extensively delay making a decision. This is a tactic known to frustrate an opponent and efforts are made to eliminate or reduce its effect in competitions with less requirements on mental clarity and focus. Ahyoung shouldn't have been able to do this in the first deathmatch of Season 3 and neither should Kyunghoon here. The Genius has made great strides in correcting its faults as the seasons has gone on, but this one remains.

Perhaps I'm more annoyed by the fact that Kyunghoon was there in the first place. Neither he nor Yohwan should have returned. There are many more people far more deserving of another appearance than these jokers. Yeonjoo only needed some self-confidence to show how clever she could be. Hell, Yohwan's wife/girlfriend showed more ability than Yohwan did in an entire season. If this isn't the last season of The Genius and "grand final" is just referring to crowning a victor from a cast of previous participants, she should definitely be on.

I feel like there was fault on both sides that lead to his exit, both by Sangmin and Kyunghoon. Obviously Kyunghoon a lot more though lol. But here's a guy, who after Sangmin made his own fuckup by not moving his box in the very first round was willing to betray everyone else just to help Sangmin. Sangmin didn't give Kyunghoon the kudos he deserved for that I think.

I think Sangmin was able to get away with a lot of what he did and make people keep helping a bit just because he was the oldest man on the show (besides the politician guy who got eliminated so quickly this season and didn't really work with Sangmin anyway). That aspect of the Korean-ness of the show has started to bother me a little bit. Like Hyunmin having to do whatever Dongmin wants him to. Imagine a season of the genius where Hyunmin was completely uninhibited and could just dominate if he wanted to.

I agree Yohwan proved useless again this season and someone else being in it would have been better. Kyunghoon is aggravating at times but I still find him entertaining at least, mixing it up. I may end up taking that back depending on how the next few episodes go but I think he could go well maybe. Although no one might work with him so...

Must be different in NSW. In Qld it's so easy it's pretty damn stupid. My gf and I did about 6 hours practice, myself with off-road experience as a kid and my gf having never ridden a motorbike before. The training school does the test, not the transport department and we both passed first go with no problems. Needless to say we spent the next 3 months actually learning for real, which is similar to a car but with way less experience and protection should things go wrong. Add to that, some of the LAMS approved bikes are just stupid that they allow you to get, the whole system needs a lot more work, I am not surprised to see someone killed on a bike in the news pretty much every day. They seem to have got it right with car licences, now requiring a lot more hours before you can take a test.

Are you sure you're talking about the same thing as Danoss? Can be a bit confusing with the differences between licenses in different states. Danoss was talking about the NSW Provisional License for motorcyclists which is the second one you go for, the first being the Learner's License. Getting the first license in NSW is also pretty easy. You do need to attend a two-day course (and it costs >$100) but I think 99% of people pass even if you drop the bike and stuff like that.

senahorse

Are you sure you're talking about the same thing as Danoss? Can be a bit confusing with the differences between licenses in different states. Danoss was talking about the NSW Provisional License for motorcyclists which is the second one you go for, the first being the Learner's License. Getting the first license in NSW is also pretty easy. You do need to attend a two-day course (and it costs >$100) but I think 99% of people pass even if you drop the bike and stuff like that.

A learners is obtained in Qld by answering 5 multi-guess questions right, you can do this once per day (these are 5 questions in addition to your standard car questions). Reading up on it, it seems nowadays you need to have your car P's for a year before you can get your motorcycle learners (if I am reading it right). The learners allows you to learn, you can ride on the road as long as someone else on their opens is accompanying you.

What I was talking about was strictly what's required for a Provisional licence. You can do a 2 day course and get your licence at the end of the course, or, you can just do a 2 hour ride and then the test straight after.

Darren870

So Tassie folks. Whats some good sites to see? Im heading there for a week in about two weeks. Starting to plan now and book some accommodation. Will likely hire a car for a few days, so am open to going anywhere.

A learners is obtained in Qld by answering 5 multi-guess questions right, you can do this once per day (these are 5 questions in addition to your standard car questions). Reading up on it, it seems nowadays you need to have your car P's for a year before you can get your motorcycle learners (if I am reading it right). The learners allows you to learn, you can ride on the road as long as someone else on their opens is accompanying you.

What I was talking about was strictly what's required for a Provisional licence. You can do a 2 day course and get your licence at the end of the course, or, you can just do a 2 hour ride and then the test straight after.

Wow the learner's is so much easier then.
Although having to have an accompanying rider like you do when you're driving on your learner's seems good whereas NSW riders with a learner's license are able to ride by themselves after doing just that 2 day course. Hard to judge which of the 2 systems is better. Probably ideally a combination of both. Although having to have another rider to be able to ride, considering the (small?) amount of the population that already has a motorbike license this is a bit restricting to starting out.

Quasar

I don't really have much to offer in the way of advice, but good luck to you :( My partner was in the same situation a while back and ended up going back for more study partly for the skills but also partly so he could get student allowance and centrelink would get off his back.

I'm pretty much in that situation. Kind of ironic that its less hassle to do a fulltime TAFE course and look for work in my spare time than it is to jump through all the unemployment hoops.

Of course I guess thats deliberate. It looks better in terms of unemployment figures.

Those kind of hospitality places don't really like employing anyone that they can't pay on teenage rates, and they get applications from basically everyone in high school. Not that applying for everything isn't a good idea, but it's hard when you get filtered out automatically. When I was looking for part-time work at uni it was really hard going. I did end up scoring a KFC job after 2 years of applying for those positions online through an 'open interview' session at a new store where anyone could walk in. Unfortunately they started cutting everyone's hours back once they realised it wasn't feasible to employ adults at full wages. Those open interviews are really rare, but seem like the best chance people have of getting something.

N0VAM0D

hospitality course

Honestly, in Newy, this isn't even necessary. If you look long and hard enough in the hospo sector here, you'll find something. Nobody around here really does hospo courses, because people are generally willing to hire you if you're eager and willing to learn and put in the hours. The pay isn't bad at all either, really. You get tips, too, at most places, so that's another fantastic bonus!

The service you get in places here is generally pretty bad anyway, so (unfortunately) you don't really need to have a high standard of service in the first place to get the work. I bet you can do a better job than most! Go into establishments and talk face-to-face with the manager/supervisor, and someone will eventually be willing to hire you Rizz, I'm sure of it. Then if you need any tips/tricks or whatever for the trial shift, lemme know.

Trevelyon

Just to echo industrian, the centrelink game is inherently rigged against you (by design) as soon as you're in the system, they want you out and boy are they proficient in a Matrix agent way in discouraging any sort of prolonged participation in it.

With your current situation and lack of marketable skills or qualifications and your long work gaps (huge red flag for employers) work placement agencies will struggle to find you suitable positions. Even low-entry, low skill work, usually union free stuff like meat works, industrial cleaners and fruit pickings are usually, though, certainly not exclusively earmarked for migrant workers and foreign students as I was often told (so many dead ends there)

At some point you've got to buck the system, fuck it in the ass and leave it for good. If it means swallowing some pride, and taking hat in hand and having a significant other or family maybe back you financially or hell, take you in for a time, then so be it. But, there is a certain amount of personal responsibility, you see your shortcomings (personal and professional) you see the things that are holding you back and you close those gaps, it is on you.

I'd really advocate doing some sort casual nightfill/sorting/warehousing work, hours are short, sometimes as low as 3 hours, usually starting in the evening (5-6-7pm) until midnight, you've been out of work for a while, so this might be able to ease you back into working environment. Your days are open, they belong to you, so you can pursue a more desired career path, any secondary/higher learning, TAFE and or specialize trade courses (usually expensive, and sometimes dodgy) open UNI studies, whatever!! plenty of resources are open to you.

So, you're working, you're studying and you're not beholded to the welfare system. You're on your way.

Danoss

Wow the learner's is so much easier then.
Although having to have an accompanying rider like you do when you're driving on your learner's seems good whereas NSW riders with a learner's license are able to ride by themselves after doing just that 2 day course. Hard to judge which of the 2 systems is better. Probably ideally a combination of both. Although having to have another rider to be able to ride, considering the (small?) amount of the population that already has a motorbike license this is a bit restricting to starting out.

I don't understand the accompanying rider thing, it doesn't make much sense. It's not like they're able to give advice or assistance in any situation other than a stationary one.

I learnt to ride on the 2 day course, which is 4 hours each day, having never ridden before. Then you need to take the regular test at the RTA before you can hit the road.

The P test is ride, stop, discuss, repeat, with each rider being required to lead the whole group at one point on a pre-determined route. This is designed to catch common mistakes and possibly cause someone to fail, but that happens most commonly on the last part—the skill/obstacle course. The super-tight U-turn followed by the cone weave is what gets most riders (the turning circle on some sports bikes make these particularly difficult).

I believe they've implemented red and green P plates for motorcycles now. When I got my license it was red only, so 12 months on those and you had your full license. I saw no problem with the old system, given how strict they were at the centre I attended. Could be an increase in dickheads doing dickhead-type things causing the changes.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Dude lives in a coal mining town. You guys know how the coal industry is going? Advice is good, but it's pointless being judgmental about it.

I'm not intending to be judgemental. I grew up in the arse end of Scotland with fuck all prospects of a proper career or meaningful work. I've been in the same shoes as Rizzi, and as an older person I look back and realise that I could have done more for myself back then. I'm trying to help out using this retrospective.

Even low-entry, low skill work, usually union free stuff like meat works, industrial cleaners and fruit pickings are usually, though, certainly not exclusively earmarked for migrant workers and foreign students as I was often told (so many dead ends there)

In the three months I've lived in Caboolture, I've worked on three strawberry farms. I just turned up and after some paperwork I started working. Whilst it's obvious they're skewed towards recruiting people on working holiday visas (as they can fuck us in the ass instead of properly paying us) during the height of the season they're that busy and running against the clock that I'm pretty sure they won't turn anyone away. That and a lot of places (banana farms, citrus farms, etc) pay $20 an hour - so I assume they'd welcome Australian applicants as well as working holiday visas. It's gruelling, boring, and hard as fuck work, but the money is there if you're willing to endure it.

Let me know if you see one, I've been toying with the idea as well.

Also I've become true and blue and now want a v8 Holden Ute.

i'll give you a good reason not to
unless you've driven a lot of rear drive cars, those things can have some amazingly intense oversteer. that's going by a mid 90's model I had. They're obviously better now, but still.

that and bogan tradies.

that said, as an investment, they'll probably appreciate in value well about 10 years after they stop making them. that's what happened when Holden stopped making utes for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom