• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

Unless you have a CRT, what's the point? Looks like crap on newer tvs.

I used to have a massive collection in the US. I can't even imagine collecting games here, I'd imagine the prices would be crazy expensive.
Get some kind of a scaler/interlacer I guess. Or buy an arcade cab and use it in that? Hell, you could probably dump a Genesis in that cab you left behind!

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Unemployment is starting to get soul crushing when every job I look at requires like two fucking years of experience and own transportation.

You're bringing back memories of when I applied for jobs when I finished university here. I lost count of how many "Junior/Entry-Level" positions that needed 2-3 years of experience.

And the Australian job market looks like Scotland to me. Unless you live in a city then there's generally nothing to do. Not unless you want to be a mystery shopper in Burpengary or some shit.

senahorse

That reminds me, I have a Sony HDTV which I should part with, beautiful picture but the thing is so damn big and heavy (100KG). I keep changing my mind between keeping and getting rid of it. Was a $6000 TV 12 years ago, now I would probably be lucky to get $50 for it haha.

Fusebox

Banned
That reminds me, I have a Sony HDTV which I should part with, beautiful picture but the thing is so damn big and heavy (100KG). I keep changing my mind between keeping and getting rid of it. Was a $6000 TV 12 years ago, now I would probably be lucky to get $50 for it haha.

Not a WEGA ES series by any chance? I had an 80cm WEGA ES as my last CRT and it was around $5k new and it took me and two mates to move it out of my house when I got rid it.

senahorse

Not a WEGA ES series by any chance? I had an 80cm WEGA ES as my last CRT and it was around $5k new and it took me and two mates to move it out of my house when I got rid it.

It's a KVHR36M31:

$_20.JPG

senahorse

That's one of the only reasons I haven't got rid of it Darren, so hard to let it go :(. I will be the same with Kuro at some point as well, which also gets very little to no use, which is a shame because it also has a fantastic picture. Funny, in a number of ways, as time goes on TV picture quality is getting worse.

MoonGred

All of you made it sound like getting a Mega Drive and hooking it up to a modern tv is a shit idea. I expected more of Ausgaf, I figured you'd pressure me into getting one!

If you're mostly looking to play the games, and not collect for the sake of having a collection, just buy the Sega Genesis Classics collections (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) if there's a game or two you want in each pack. They go for as little as $5US for all five on occasion so definitely a lot cheaper than getting the originals. The ones I linked should redeem on Steam, but Amazon also sells direct downloads if you prefer that.

There are also a lot of the individual games available on Steam that aren't in those packs, often on sale for $1-$1.50 each. All of these are basically officially emulated games, and doesn't include a lot of third party stuff.

Rizzi

The government treats unemployed people like lepers, and then you get the job providers who claim it's not their job to find people work.
It's up to the people with next to no experience to find jobs that simply don't exist. It hurts.

Fredescu

Our treatment of the unemployed is based entirely on paternalistic bullshit, not on stuff that works and helps people. It's fairly well established that work for the dole schemes actually make it harder for people to get a job, not easier. I hope something comes along for you soon.

Rizzi

I don't even care about the work for the dole shit at this point.
You tell me to go do something, I get there half an hour early to get it done.
Apparently this makes me a lazy dole bludger according to our lovely government though.
I just want a job, and they treat this shit like it's still the fucking 70's and you can just go down the street and ask for a job and start the next day.

Type_Raver

It's a KVHR36M31:

$_20.JPG

Ive got myself one of those (32' model), hooked up and active.
I use it for my Wii U, the colours looks great and virtual console titles look sweet! While I do plan on hooking up the snes, i cant be bothered taking it out and setting it up. Especially since what i want to play is on the virtual console...

Rizzi

Nearly everything I look at requires two years experience and a drivers licence and own transport.
And that's for the shit jobs.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
All of you made it sound like getting a Mega Drive and hooking it up to a modern tv is a shit idea. I expected more of Ausgaf, I figured you'd pressure me into getting one!

In Australia do you have those 100-in-one Mega Drive/Genesis clones that you just plug in to your TV and that come with two controllers?

I see them all the time in Taiwan and they're that cheap that I need to have my girlfriend handy to stop me from buying one. The ones in Taiwan are NTSC US and they have a cartridge slot at the top for playing your own games. To me that's win-win. Especially when you consider that most apartments there have CRT TVs by default.

Danoss

Nearly everything I look at requires two years experience and a drivers licence and own transport.

A while back I was looking at those sort of jobs and met all the requirements. Applied to a bunch and didn't even get so much as a phone call or an email. Eventually found one through a friend, interview the next day, started the day after that. It's bullshit.

Now they want to take away peoples resources to be able to find what few jobs are available and are surprised when there's no improvement. It was disturbing when someone mentioned what the travel allowance given out to those participating in work for the dole. What is that expected to actually cover?

A friend of mine has been looking for ages and is plenty qualified for a range of jobs, but the work just isn't available. They're willing to put you through training for things that won't get you anywhere, like a Retail Operations Certificate for a 40+ year old. Yep, retail outlets sure are looking to hire people where they're required to pay the maximum Award wage.

I did Certificate III for that same thing whilst I was working for JB Hi-Fi. The only reason was because a tax incentive made it a worthwhile thing to do for their employees at the time. It doesn't make anyone look like a better prospective hire than anyone else, it's common sense in certificate form. Come to think of it, a Certificate in Common Sense would be quite valuable, looking at the state of things.

I wonder if getting a forklift license is still a ticket to near-immediate employment. It was not too long ago. Pay was unreal.

I'd say those cushy forklift jobs are hard to come by these days. I know quite a few who got made redundant 5 or so years ago. They just make the other employees learn to use the forklift now :/

Darren870

What kind of field are you looking for Rizzi? Where do you live? How old are you? Do you have public transport options? Education? Job Experience?

Kritz

Banned
SYDNEY GAF

I'm gonna be in town this Sunday. Want to meet up for food and / or alcohol?

Also, recommend some stuff to do in Sydney that I can do in the three days I'll be there. Never been before. I'm a tubby little fat man so "climb a big bridge" is a welcome but probably not super viable option, but "go look at some little monkeys" or "eat a lot of terrible food" are probably around my speed.

:D

Trevelyon

Any local supermarkets nearby? Look into casual night fill/online shopping orders. No real experience required, short hours (usually 3-5 hours min) $26 per hour, usually pretty cush and laid back lot (mainly mums in their 30-40)

They're always looking for reliable men for shifts.

Clipper

SYDNEY GAF

I'm gonna be in town this Sunday. Want to meet up for food and / or alcohol?

Also, recommend some stuff to do in Sydney that I can do in the three days I'll be there. Never been before. I'm a tubby little fat man so "climb a big bridge" is a welcome but probably not super viable option, but "go look at some little monkeys" or "eat a lot of terrible food" are probably around my speed.

:D

I'm coming out of the woodwork to say I'm in on this if something is happening.

Also... Hi Ausgaf! It's been a while...

Anything, Newcastle, 25, Buses. I left school in year 11, a few shitty retail jobs, but not much.

Mate if you need quick work just look through Gumtree for cleaning job requests in your area. Buy minimal cleaning products and away you go. Easy work, you pick and choose the residential or commercial customers to answer to including where and when.

I've seen plenty of mates pick that sort of work and some still do it as part time work now. They locked on to regular houses/clients they clean from answering only a few cleaning requests via Gumtree.

Something ad-hoc to consider and cherry pick.

I wonder if getting a forklift license is still a ticket to near-immediate employment. It was not too long ago. Pay was unreal.

forklift licence is not as easy as it used to be, worksafe have overhauled the entire process and 1 in 3 fail on first attempt now.

66 questions, you can only get 4 wrong, plus 15 'star' questions thst are randomly mixed in with an instant fail if you get one of those wrong.

so if you do attempt it dont expect the easy run through like the old days and study the shit outta the book.

Cerity

Just something that I'm doing now, hit up the local auction houses for ex demo/floor gear and ebay/gumtree them after. A lot of the stuff is just old stock that companies send out to auction because it's old or deemed unusable when a lot of it is perfectly fine. A lot of the places offer inspection so you can visit and check out what is going up that week.

Right now I'm just doing it on the side for a bit of extra income but it's something that you can really make as much money as you're willing to put the effort in. You just need that initial investment and knowledge of whatever you're going for.

Darren870

Yea, check fruit picking and air tasker. My missus went from property management making 19hr to cleaning making $25 an hr. Even has some clients that make her $35 an hr.

Isn't their vineyards up there too?

MoonGred

In Australia do you have those 100-in-one Mega Drive/Genesis clones that you just plug in to your TV and that come with two controllers?

I see them all the time in Taiwan and they're that cheap that I need to have my girlfriend handy to stop me from buying one. The ones in Taiwan are NTSC US and they have a cartridge slot at the top for playing your own games. To me that's win-win. Especially when you consider that most apartments there have CRT TVs by default.

I'm sure we do, I even think that Ozgameshop sells them. Never really gave it any thought, only once had one which was purchased from a russian knock off store, safe to say it was shit.
Don't these suffer from poor emulation?

I completely forgot but I actually own some of the sega collections, so these might tie me over. Will probably buy one of those wireless retro controllers and down the line retrofit a pi 2 inside a snes shell.

What OS do you usually install a pi for it to run emulators?

Also are there castlevania like games for the Mega Drive? I'm still working my way through super castlevania but am enjoying it immensely.

Gazunta

Castlevania: Bloodlines was released for the MegaDrive, I remember the reviewers of the day lavished praise on it lots. Apparently the PAL version was censored so see if you get a US copy.

I don't really have much to offer in the way of advice, but good luck to you :( My partner was in the same situation a while back and ended up going back for more study partly for the skills but also partly so he could get student allowance and centrelink would get off his back.

Work for the dole and all of those silly courses sound okay in theory but in practice are just the worst idea. Way to waste a whole lot of actual skill-building and job-searching time while stressing everyone out and paying the equivalent of like half the minimum wage :/

Yagharek

Work for the dole is an insult in many cases.

A friend I went to uni with had trouble finding work (like I did) with a science degree. He was told either do work for the dole, or pick up a tafe course. He chose the later and they told him to do a cert 3 in IT.

Now, keeping in mind this was someone who had been running macros to optimise RF receiver design with some pretty unique software used for simulating EM radiation, and had been building PCs since the mid/late 80s at home ...

Day 1, lesson 1, the instructor began with "now, this is a network cable ..."

Waste of fucking time. He could have taken the course himself, with 2 minutes preparation each class, tops.

Rizzi

Work for the dole is dumb and doesn't work but whatever.
I'm more angry about the attitude of the job service providers/jobactive providers/whatever the fuck these assholes call themselves these days of "It's your problem, find your own job"

My last appointment with them on Friday lasted less than five minutes. Sat down got told they hadn't been able to find me a work for the dole placement yet.

Like, okay they've had since July 1st, sure are earning that government money there.

I asked what they've done to assist me in finding work, they said they've been looking for my WFD placement, and could you please leave I have work to do and make sure you keep applying for jobs using our brand new MyWorkSearch website otherwise any jobs I apply for don't count towards my 20 applications a month that are mandatory, because they now have all oversight on cancelling welfare payments. Also the website is giant pile of garbage that pulls in month old job listings and considers them "new", so most of the jobs that actually show up on it aren't even available any more.

All that in an appointment that lasted less than five minutes and I had to walk 40 minutes each way to get to it.

N0VAM0D

Unemployment is starting to get soul crushing when every job I look at requires like two fucking years of experience and own transportation.

Anything, Newcastle, 25, Buses. I left school in year 11, a few shitty retail jobs, but not much.

Hey Rizzi, we both live in Newcastle, and I know quite a few places that are hiring. You say you'll do any job, does that mean you're open to hospitality? I have a lot of connections in the industry and could suss out some work for you! Hit me up with a PM if you wanna talk about it!

Man, Rizzi, your struggle makes me feel a little better about my own situation. I've been jobless now for nearly four months and to say the hunt has been fruitless would be an understatement. There was a three week period there where literally no jobs I'm qualified for were posted and I was applying for the longest of long shots. The last place I interviewed with was due to a personal referral and even there, it turned out there was no job.

Still, I at least have savings, work experience and qualifications. Worst case scenario, I get on a plane and do FIFO again or move somewhere else.

On a related note, does anyone know how I might get some experience with enterprise software, say SAP or Maximo?

Rizzi

Man, Rizzi, your struggle makes me feel a little better about my own situation. I've been jobless now for nearly four months and to say the hunt has been fruitless would be an understatement. There was a three week period there where literally no jobs I'm qualified for were posted and I was applying for the longest of long shots. The last place I interviewed with was due to a personal referral and even there, it turned out there was no job.

Still, I at least have savings, work experience and qualifications. Worst case scenario, I get on a plane and do FIFO again or move somewhere else.

On a related note, does anyone know how I might get some experience with enterprise software, say SAP or Maximo?

Try being unemployed for two and a half years. The last place I worked at refused to write me a recommendation. Or tell me why they stopped giving me shifts.

Fredescu

The last place I worked at refused to write me a recommendation.

I don't have anything useful to add about your predicament, but it's rare for companies to give written references. Rare might be an understatement, I've been working for more than 20 years and I don't know of anyone who has ever gotten one. I've interviewed dozens of people too and have never seen one that way. The only one I've seen in the flesh was one my mum got in the 60s.The majority of references are personal. If it's at all an option, you could find a former workmate willing to do a phone reference. Or at the very least, someone willing to claim you were a former workmate.

Rizzi

Heh.
Just got off the phone with my Jobactive Provider.
"We're going to have to reschedule your appointment for some time next week"
They're really bad at this whole mandatory work for the dole thing.

bomma_man

Had one in my basket last night but didn't want to wait for it to be posted. Will go instore today and see if they have any in stock.

Got one this morning. Rocked up at seven and there were a few people already there, two other people got PS4s. Looked like they had a roll cage full of various consoles out the back.

The crew sounds terrible and LBP is a bit redundant with Mario Maker coming - where's the best place to trade them in on short notice?

Work for the dole is dumb and doesn't work but whatever.
I'm more angry about the attitude of the job service providers/jobactive providers/whatever the fuck these assholes call themselves these days of "It's your problem, find your own job"

My last appointment with them on Friday lasted less than five minutes. Sat down got told they hadn't been able to find me a work for the dole placement yet.

Like, okay they've had since July 1st, sure are earning that government money there.

I asked what they've done to assist me in finding work, they said they've been looking for my WFD placement, and could you please leave I have work to do and make sure you keep applying for jobs using our brand new MyWorkSearch website otherwise any jobs I apply for don't count towards my 20 applications a month that are mandatory, because they now have all oversight on cancelling welfare payments. Also the website is giant pile of garbage that pulls in month old job listings and considers them "new", so most of the jobs that actually show up on it aren't even available any more.

All that in an appointment that lasted less than five minutes and I had to walk 40 minutes each way to get to it.
Yeah my experience with job provider places while on the dole was laughable. They were just ticking boxes, no real interest in making an effort to get me a job.

The crew sounds terrible and LBP is a bit redundant with Mario Maker coming - where's the best place to trade them in on short notice?
EB I expect. LBP is a lot different to Mario Maker though, I assume you've never played one before? The stuff people can come up with is insane.

The Crew sounds like a good road trip game. I recall an offroad one I played a few years back where you just tool around and enjoy the open road.

bomma_man

Yeah my experience with job provider places while on the dole was laughable. They were just ticking boxes, no real interest in making an effort to get me a job.

EB I expect. LBP is a lot different to Mario Maker though, I assume you've never played one before? The stuff people can come up with is insane.

The Crew sounds like a good road trip game. I recall an offroad one I played a few years back where you just tool around and enjoy the open road.

Yeah I played the first one, wasn't a fan of the physics. I realise that they can be modified in the newer ones but eh.

The crew is critically panned and full of ubisoft crap. I would've kept driveclub or project cars!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom