• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
antman is amazing.

people are silly for not thinking it would be.

he's marvels 2nd best hero, and not boring like the iron mans punchpunch team.
Maybe that's why I enjoyed it so much. Actual humor and less punchy punchy like avengers. Also the dude playing Antman was fiiiiine.

Any ausgafer want a pack of these?

club_nintendo_premium_mario_cards.png

No lurkers!

One good thing about Nintendo's steadfastedly sticking to launch pricing, it doesn't contribute to the race to the bottom mentality.

I know I shouldn't buy a WB, Square or Ubisoft at full price since they are going to be more or less given away within 3 months. Add Sony and MS first party since you seem to be able to get download codes from bundles really cheaply (I remember getting FC4 DL code for PS4 for about $30 less than a month after the game came out). doubly so for PC.
Also, why would I buy an indie game on PS4 when PS+ is likley to add it.

Nah, more often than not it just leads to me not buying the games. Splatoon and MK8 were $59 at launch, and that I can be happy with. Paying $80 for a game 2 years after it releases though? No thanks.

They used to be better with greatest hits releases or whatever that were $40- 50 odd in the Gamecube days. That's how it should be. Want it day 1? Pay full price. Want to pick it up a year or two later? There should be a discount. I'm not asking for Steam sale prices here, but fucking something would be nice!

Nah, more often than not it just leads to me not buying the games. Splatoon and MK8 were $59 at launch, and that I can be happy with. Paying $80 for a game 2 years after it releases though? No thanks.

They used to be better with greatest hits releases or whatever that were $40- 50 odd in the Gamecube days. That's how it should be. Want it day 1? Pay full price. Want to pick it up a year or two later? There should be a discount. I'm not asking for Steam sale prices here, but fucking something would be nice!

Now that you mention it, I can't remember the last time I saw a greatest hits/platinum/player's choice type thing. Maybe remasters and Game of the Year versions kinda killled them.

This thread will do. I've got an invite to the Australian Playstation beta test group. First to quote this with thier Australian PSN ID will get it.

Things to know
Be in Australia, have a PS4
Can't talk about betas due to NDA
If you dont download & play betas you will be booted from the group.

edit: gone!!!
I get accused of working for Sony every second day so it'd be great to get some kind of perk! Curse being an old man and going to bed early, missed out.

Moonknight over Black Panther
Hell yeah, Moonknight is awesome. BP is awesome too though, just not as.

Any ausgafer want a pack of these?

club_nintendo_premium_mario_cards.png

No lurkers!
How much do they go for? Look pretty great.

Now that you mention it, I can't remember the last time I saw a greatest hits/platinum/player's choice type thing. Maybe remasters and Game of the Year versions kinda killled them.

360/PS3 still have them. Hell, San Andreas just launch at retail on 360 as a greatest hit package.

Pretty sure it took ages last gen for them to hit too. Don't want to devalue the brand too quickly Clive!

Cerity

Video of that is crazy, you can see how relieved he is when he finally gets onto that jetski board thing.

Just a PSA for people who buy pwo from bulknutrients, it seems like their amp citrate based pwo's are being discountinued at the end of this month. They don't give me that huge rush of energy like others do, instead they just keep me focused throughout the session. I find them great except for when your heart is racing at a million miles an hour and you're acutely aware of each beat.

Just a PSA for people who buy pwo from bulknutrients, it seems like their amp citrate based pwo's are being discountinued at the end of this month.
Oh, thanks for that, been looking around for some protein supplements and hadn't heard of these guys. Anyone tried their vegan protein supplements? Slightly less protein and more carbs than whey, but I've been mostly off dairy milk for a couple of years and think I'd be better off with the vegan ones.

I think game of the year style releases is something Nintendo could actually use these days. Like a version of MK8 with all downloadable content on this disc, or Splatoon once all the DLC is released.

I do like to rage about Nintendo's game pricing, but I think they really nailed it with Mario Kart 8. $59 at launch, with a free game of your choice AND content rich cheap DLC packs? Probably the best deal I've seen in the last few years.

Holy shit mick fanning (Aussie surfer) got knocked off his board by a shark in jbay final.

Quick eBay search says they are worth about $20. These are however free!
Oh shit that was Fanning? Only heard it was an aussie surfer over the radio, would have been surreal as fuck for him!

I'm super keen on the cards, PM me details on where to send postage money!

My son has been playing Uno non-stop. These will be perfect once we hit games that require proper playing cards!

I think game of the year style releases is something Nintendo could actually use these days. Like a version of MK8 with all downloadable content on this disc, or Splatoon once all the DLC is released.

I do like to rage about Nintendo's game pricing, but I think they really nailed it with Mario Kart 8. $59 at launch, with a free game of your choice AND content rich cheap DLC packs? Probably the best deal I've seen in the last few years.

Yeah MK8 is probably the best Nintendo game I've played since SMG2. Top notch effort all round.

Stackboy

Yeah MK8 is probably the best Nintendo game I've played since SMG2. Top notch effort all round.

Definitely the game that has gotten the most play in my house.

I thought Ant Man was pretty low on the MCU hype meter. Eric Bana's hulk movie was probably the only one worse. Oh and Afflecks Daredevil.

I mean it was fine, but it doesn't really demand a rewatch like the others do.

Bernbaum

Video of that is crazy, you can see how relieved he is when he finally gets onto that jetski board thing.

Just a PSA for people who buy pwo from bulknutrients, it seems like their amp citrate based pwo's are being discountinued at the end of this month. They don't give me that huge rush of energy like others do, instead they just keep me focused throughout the session. I find them great except for when your heart is racing at a million miles an hour and you're acutely aware of each beat.
A lot of those PWO's are fine until you build up a resistance to beta alanine and the effect wears off. A lot of caffeine-based mixes have been taken off the market since I shopped at Bulk Nutrients but these days a banana and a shot of espresso is all that's really needed.

Cerity

Coffee and a banana used to be my thing but then I started to get massive heartburn/indigestion during my sessions thanks to the coffee. I've never really enjoyed the tingling type deal that comes with high doses of Beta Alanine either.

I might just grab caffeine pills after I run out of what I have now.

Darren870

WTF.....? Not what I was expecting. I mean it went from being over worked and pushing sales to rape, racism and bullying?

I worked for EB Games in the US for 4-5 years. I never saw any of the latter. Got out once Game Stop bought EB. Lost all the sales perks. Oh and I graduated uni and got a real job. That probably helped.

So many people though begging to work there. I never understood why.

WTF.....? Not what I was expecting. I mean it went from being over worked and pushing sales to rape, racism and bullying?

I worked for EB Games in the US for 4-5 years. I never saw any of the latter. Got out once Game Stop bought EB. Lost all the sales perks. Oh and I graduated uni and got a real job. That probably helped.

So many people though begging to work there. I never understood why.

It seems like most of this article is concentrated on one particular sales region though retail in general is pretty horrid. I generally don't have a problem for some limited overtime when you're salaried but once you start paying people for hours worked, you need to pay them for all hours worked, especially when you demand they be there. Unpaid midnight launches? They actually have found a job in the games industry with shittier conditions than junior QA.

Lack of HR department in such a large organisation is a weird one. Don't get me wrong, HR are the scum of the earth, but I can't see how you get be that large of an organisation and not have a HR department.

tl;dr EB are surprisingly more shit than their shitty reputation would suggest.

Darren870

It seems like most of this article is concentrated on one particular sales region though retail in general is pretty horrid. I generally don't have a problem for some limited overtime when you're salaried but once you start paying people for hours worked, you need to pay them for all hours worked, especially when you demand they be there. Unpaid midnight launches? They actually have found a job in the games industry with shittier conditions than junior QA.

Lack of HR department in such a large organisation is a weird one. Don't get me wrong, HR are the scum of the earth, but I can't see how you get be that large of an organisation and not have a HR department.

tl;dr EB are surprisingly more shit than their shitty reputation would suggest.

Yea, I mean. I started agreeing with the article at first. The whole, coming in to work early to be around your friends or staying around later to help but not on the clock. I did that a lot. However, when I was asked to work OT I worked it. I remember I actually went into 40+ hrs a week and my manager had to make a case for it as they needed the help. Head office wasn't happy though.

I worked in two different stores and they were both in the top 10 for the US in terms of turn over, one of them being #2 (behind Las Vegas). Oddly they were in different states though.

But yea, retail sucks. But thats why its a young man/womans game. You do it when your in your teens to early 20's and then you get out. Its not a job for a career and shouldn't be. Maybe pick up some part time hours to make some side cash, but I don't know what a lot of people expect?

Used to get a resume everyday though. Draws and draws filled with them. Everyone wanted to work with video games. Wish I was smarter then, or needed to have more financial responsibilities. Too many paychecks pumped back into that store.

Jintor

that's the problem isn't it, the fact there's so many applicants and most of the people working there it's their first job so they don't really know about their rights, it's the perfect environment to just vampire-drain kid employees and discard them.

sexual assault is obvs a separate issue

legend166

EB sounds atrocious. Ugh. Thankfully I've had pretty good work conditions at all my jobs and have never had to be around awful people. If I had someone say those things to my face like that guy did I don't know how I'd take it. Probably start swinging against my better judgement.

What's weird is that there are people who love video games but also don't realise how awful EB is. Like, who are these people? Why does anyone shop there?

MoonGred

high school kid me really wanted to work at eb lol

A part of grown up me still would. The guy who owns the local gametraders is really nice, every time I walk past he's having a chat with regulars, playing games or playing magic. All in all it looks like a pretty sweet job. I've got no clue what his revenue would be, but seeing as he's been open for a couple of years it mustn't be that bad.

Shame his prices are atrocious though.

Bernbaum

Retail is retail. Doesn't matter what you're selling.

You could work at the Fireworks, Candy and Puppy Dogs store and life would suck.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
A part of grown up me still would. The guy who owns the local gametraders is really nice, every time I walk past he's having a chat with regulars, playing games or playing magic. All in all it looks like a pretty sweet job. I've got no clue what his revenue would be, but seeing as he's been open for a couple of years it mustn't be that bad.

Shame his prices are atrocious though.

Whenever I'm feeling down I go to Gametraders. Seeing all those NES/SNES/Mega Drive games makes me feel like I'm in primary school again. Ah, to have zero responsibilities again...

MoonGred

Whenever I'm feeling down I go to Gametraders. Seeing all those NES/SNES/Mega Drive games makes me feel like I'm in primary school again. Ah, to have zero responsibilities again...

How amazing it used to be to have 2 whole months off for summer holidays. I lost track of the days I spent inside playing HOMM3.

Speaking of the Mega Drive, I never owned one but kinda want one, are there enough games to make it worth my time? I don't give a crap about sonic...

Darren870

There are some AMAZING Genesis games.

Alex Kidd
Streets of Rage
Gunstar Hero's
Altered Beast
Musha
Splatter House
Golden Axe

Amazing for side scrollers and shumps.

That being said, just emulate it. No reason to buy a collection as all the really good games wind up being expensive. Plus they've remade a lot of them on XBLA and PS.

MoonGred

Alex Kidd
Streets of Rage
Gunstar Hero's
Altered Beast
Musha
Splatter House
Golden Axe

That being said, just emulate it. No reason to buy a collection as all the really good games wind up being expensive. Plus they've remade a lot of them on XBLA and PS.

Yea cost of the games is what really holds me off. I always wanted to have this massive snes collection where I picked up the majority of games from flea markets for dirt cheap. I've done my fair share of flea market visits in my lifetime and never once found cheap games. If anything 35 euro for the adventures of link sounds really expensive.

There was a thread on gaf recently about a guy who built a raspberry pi inside a snes shell, I'm handy enough to pull it off, but what do you install on the pi? Just Linux?

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
How amazing it used to be to have 2 whole months off for summer holidays. I lost track of the days I spent inside playing HOMM3.

Speaking of the Mega Drive, I never owned one but kinda want one, are there enough games to make it worth my time? I don't give a crap about sonic...

I had an Atari ST throughout my childhood. I got a Mega Drive for Christmas 1996.

It's a good little console. I enjoyed my year playing it until I got my PSX the next Christmas.

That and you'll have to put up with endure PAL speeds.

MoonGred

I had an Atari ST throughout my childhood. I got a Mega Drive for Christmas 1996.

It's a good little console. I enjoyed my year playing it until I got my PSX the next Christmas.

That and you'll have to put up with endure PAL speeds.

I was a year too young to heavily get involved in a Snes/Mega Drive, I had a Snes but consider the psx as my first console as I only remember playing mario.
There's always been some sort of mystical air around a Mega Drive for me, I really want to dive in and discover hidden gems.
This is more or less how I used my Saturn, picked it up for next to nothing and found an old pc shop in France that had one shelf of saturn games, for 15 euros each, this is a time before we had internet so my game choices depended on the box art (and making sure the games weren't all in french), I had a demo disk that had a demo of a die hard game on it, went to the shop the next day and found 2 die hard games, I think the shop owner recommend die trilogy because it was 3 games in one, which turned out to be the shit one, picked up a nights game as well for 5euros which was amazing. That and a 2d platformer with toys.

Is the difference between 50hz v 60hz that big on old games?

Shaneus

Alex Kidd
Streets of Rage
Gunstar Hero's
Altered Beast
Musha
Splatter House
Golden Axe

Nah, need to own a physical one. None of the emulators I've ever played do the sound chip on that thing justice.

Darren870

Nah, need to own a physical one. None of the emulators I've ever played do the sound chip on that thing justice.

Unless you have a CRT, what's the point? Looks like crap on newer tvs.

I used to have a massive collection in the US. I can't even imagine collecting games here, I'd imagine the prices would be crazy expensive.

Surprised no one's mentioned the Genesis Collections that are on PC. They're often heavily discounted, and are basically the ROMs with some sort of front end.

Not all the best games, and not perfect like the real thing, but good enough for most.

Rizzi

Unemployment is starting to get soul crushing when every job I look at requires like two fucking years of experience and own transportation.

Fusebox

Banned
Unless you have a CRT, what's the point? Looks like crap on newer tvs.

I used to have a massive collection in the US. I can't even imagine collecting games here, I'd imagine the prices would be crazy expensive.

Hey I just picked up a free 57" CRT on the weekend for some retro gaming! It only has composite though, was kind of hoping for s-video at least.

Not sure whether to go original hardware or Raspberry Pi atm...

Unemployment is starting to get soul crushing when every job I look at requires like two fucking years of experience and own transportation.
It's a crapshoot sadly. I lucked into my current job after applying for hundreds. I wasn't even suitable for this job!

The admin who quit here recently had been in the role for nearly 3 years. She never wanted this job but took it because it was offered and spent the next 3 years trying to get another one o_O

Stay positive and something will come up!

Hey I just picked up a free 57" CRT on the weekend for some retro gaming! It only has composite though, was kind of hoping for s-video at least.

Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaa that's a fucking big CRT! Jelly! Should be able to modify it to add s-video I expect.

someone else is posting on another forum "phew, I just got rid of that huge-ass 57" Tv that I just couldn't get rid of. Guy nearly had a hernia moving it. He looked like he needed help but I said 'oh, er, my back is playing up.'"

Fusebox

Banned
Haha, whoops. Yep I meant 57cm. Been so long since I measured a TV in anything other than inches I just autopiloted it.

Ordering a Rasberry Pi today. Checked out the price of second hand SNES on ebay and I'm not interested in paying $150 for some old, yellow SNES with non good games.

Darren870

Hahha I was going to say! We had a 36" CRT growing up. It took 3-4 people to move the fucker. It was HUGE. As I got older then made them lighter and less boxy, but still a 36" was heavy as fuck. I couldn't even imagine anything bigger.

Also, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection on the 360 is worth picking up.

The nostalgia is there when you hold that old controller and boot up a game. Its not the same as playing it on the emulator or with an xbox/ps controller.

However, the nostalgia also wears off pretty quickly. Quick enough to not justify paying so much for games. And of course you want them CIB, not just loose carts laying around. Then once you start playing the game you realize wow...this didn't hold up at ALL. I think NES/SNES/Genesis games do okay and hold up. However, Saturn, Dreamcast, N64, PS...god they just don't. Especially once you start playing 3d games. Some first party ones do, but others? Egh. Especially FPS. Golden eye, Perfect Dark. So god awful to play now a days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom