• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
nuclear-homer-simpson.png

Wizball on the C64 Emulator, Stunt Car Racer on the Amiga Emulator and the occasional go of Civilization 5 if I'm feeling particularly decadent. :)

Those are hardly steep requirements and most crappy laptops can technically do that (Civ V runs on integrated, albeit not fantastically). Second hand video cards might be the only way you can keep inside your budget and not get something completely abysmal.

Fredescu

Using Umart Milton, I built this:

$142 i3-4160 CPU
$75 ASUS B85M-F/B85 MBD
$88 Crucial DDR3 PC12800-8GB RAM
$52 Toshiba 500G 7200RPM HDD
$44 Antec VSK-4000B-U3 - Black Mid-Tower Case
$59 Fractal Design Integra R2 500W PSU 80 Plus Bronze

$460.

Plug all of that into Umarts "custom build" page and they'll charge $80 for assembly: http://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/build_computer1.phtml?id=10&bid=&id2=9

Pretend you're a student somehow and get Windows for $70: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...o-Upgrade---Student-Offer/productID.288492700

That blows the budget at $610 but aren't you a rich video games industry veteran or something?

No optical drive because it's not the 90s anymore. Also I have no idea what video card you need to put in there, I assume that motherboard doesn't have enough slots or the right slots or whatever.

It might actually be possible to get one of those NUC things for him, if he can nab one with HD5000 graphics or something to play Civ V at a tolerable level of performance. Hehehe.

Fredescu

Yeah I thought of a NUC too, but it sounds like he has a video card he wants to use. They would fit the requirements otherwise.

I put one together last night with 8GB 1600 ram using a pentium anniversary processor on PCCG. At work now but you should be able to get it to sit at around 500 with a 2TB HDD and a full size ATX mobo (B85) and a case that came with 500w PSU integrated.

If he already owns a graphics card then by all means he should roll with that option.

Mr. Tone

This is still one of the points with Stan I need more clarification on before I am onboard:

Makes it sound like HD may be the exception.

I'm willing to support them just on the principle of the thing. The technical side of things is a big unanswered question, but I'm optimistic

As far as the quality of the stream is concerned, Stan looks amazing. Wherever possible, the content acquired has been HD. Full 1080p HD, that is. Not fake 720p HD that looks blocky on your TV. Stan will also have 5.1 surround sound support.

We spoke with Stan’s chief technology officer and the content team about the whole HD thing. Australia is a country with a big demand with a skinny pipe problem. A lot of us can’t get the HD content we want because of rubbish internet.

We were told that, because Stan is built for the Austrlaian market, the delivery is optimised for a low bandwidth environment. Stan has partnered with Akamai to take advantage of their CDN and compression technologies, and it’s working with Brightcove to ensure a hassle-free viewing experience once the content lands on your device. All the content is also sitting as close to the “edge” as possible, so it doesn’t have far to travel to get to your device leading to lower latency.

Stan has even built a function into the app that sees the CDN go and pre-fetch content as you stream it so it buffers faster. The whole app is geared towards killing off the tyranny of “the last mile” (read: our shitty internet).

You’ll only need a 2Mbps stream to get access to SD content on Stan, and 4Mbps and above for HD content, we’re told.

Yeah but there's a lot of tv stuff that's pre HD era so I'm guessing it's more to get people not to expect The Sullivans is suddenly now 1080p and widescreen.

Quasar

Yeah but there's a lot of tv stuff that's pre HD era so I'm guessing it's more to get people not to expect The Sullivans is suddenly now 1080p and widescreen.

Yeah. Lots of back catalogue stuff stuck in SD land. Especially local stuff where the market is to small to do a HD remaster, assuming it was done on film rather than videotape.

Hell if you look at itunes, theres plenty of new Australian content thats only sold in SD.

Definitely curious to see netflix and stan stream quality compared.

Card Boy

Banned
nuclear-homer-simpson.png

Wizball on the C64 Emulator, Stunt Car Racer on the Amiga Emulator and the occasional go of Civilization 5 if I'm feeling particularly decadent. :)

Just pay someone the $80 to build it for you. If something goes wrong or they break something it's on them, not you.

HowZatOZ

Banned
As funny as it will be to see Newman lose his seat, the alternative is potentially worse.

Doesn't help that Labor has done shit all with the three years they have had to prepare. Be interesting to see what Kate Jones goes with, but I think this election we'll see Newman lose his seat but Liberal hold in with just a slight majority. Might even be split nicely down the line with Labor, Liberal and independents.

Fredescu

Oh, for some reason I thought you meant for his seat, which was a silly assumption on my part. I can imagine up worse premiers, like Jarrod Bleijie for instance.

senahorse

Oh, for some reason I thought you meant for his seat, which was a silly assumption on my part. I can imagine up worse premiers, like Jarrod Bleijie for instance.

HAHAHAHA, oh man I shouldn't laugh, that would be something that happens in Queensland, that kid is terrible.

Gazunta

We need Sensible Software back generally.

I've also found what I believe to be the best ZZap! resourse on the web. Its even got the 'missing' episode of Terminal Man I missed from issue 12! Man, Oliver Frey could draw.

OK - here's a test for you Gaz - C&VG had its own comic strip which included a VR game called 'God' - can you remember the name of the strip?

Oh man, weren't they the bug hunters or something? Man, wasn't it great back when game magazines had original art on the covers instead of the repurposed press release images everyone uses now. *sigh* I guess Retro Gamer still does it from time to time, but still.

Oli Frey still draws awesome stuff, and he's a jolly nice chap too ;)

What kind of video card are you adding?

Um...it's a green one with a big fan on it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I know it has two DVI ports at the back, which is nice because I have two monitors that plug into it. It's six years old and was apparently top of the line back then but who knows what that actually means.

It's PCI-E I think I do not know things.

You built yourself a gaming shed, building a PC is considerably less challenging than that. I'm confident you can do it.

You've got plenty of people here who'd be willing to help if needed, myself included.

Thanks, man. I feel more confident about building physical things because I can always just bash things into shape, but computers are like OMG DIDN'T YOU KNOW THE KX-7 CPU DOESN'T FIT INTO THE UYX-42 MOTHERBOARDS NOOB. I used to actually be awesome at this shit but that was like, back in the 486 days :p

Using Umart Milton, I built this:

$142 i3-4160 CPU
$75 ASUS B85M-F/B85 MBD
$88 Crucial DDR3 PC12800-8GB RAM
$52 Toshiba 500G 7200RPM HDD
$44 Antec VSK-4000B-U3 - Black Mid-Tower Case
$59 Fractal Design Integra R2 500W PSU 80 Plus Bronze

$460.

Plug all of that into Umarts "custom build" page and they'll charge $80 for assembly: http://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/build_computer1.phtml?id=10&bid=&id2=9

Pretend you're a student somehow and get Windows for $70: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...o-Upgrade---Student-Offer/productID.288492700

That blows the budget at $610 but aren't you a rich video games industry veteran or something?

No optical drive because it's not the 90s anymore. Also I have no idea what video card you need to put in there, I assume that motherboard doesn't have enough slots or the right slots or whatever.

Shit, that's fucking awesome of you to do, thanks! I don't mind stretching the budget a little bit, so that works out pretty well. WOW!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I've got a spare video card you can have if you want gaz. 6970, I'm sure it's all working as long as I can find it. Has custom cooler on it.. As long as it doesn't break during shipment it should do the job.

senahorse

Thanks, man. I feel more confident about building physical things because I can always just bash things into shape, but computers are like OMG DIDN'T YOU KNOW THE KX-7 CPU DOESN'T FIT INTO THE UYX-42 MOTHERBOARDS NOOB. I used to actually be awesome at this shit but that was like, back in the 486 days :p

If you got through the 486 days, you will find this a breeze, no more having to manually set clock speeds, multipliers, IRQ's etc, it's all just plug and play :).

Card Boy

Banned
I went to top up my Myki online since i go back to work tomorrow and they added 81 fucken zones online. It was literally 2 zones last year. 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

What do i do? I used to put travel from zone 1 to zone 1 because i lived in a zone 1 suburb and went to the city (which is also zone 1), but now it wont even let me add 1 to 1. I have to work out which of the 81 fucken zones i have to click on. The PDF on the site only has 5 zones! and it doesn't even make sense!

https://www.mymyki.com.au/NTSWebPortal/PDF/Forms/Zone_Finder.pdf

Trying to do myki pass btw.

Dryk

I'm so glad I live in a city where zones technically exist, but nobody has ever seen a 1-zone ticket before

r1chard

I went to top up my Myki online since i go back to work tomorrow and they added 81 fucken zones online. It was literally 2 zones last year. 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What in the actual hell?? I thought they were supposed to be simplifying that shit this year.

Danoss

The parcel for Dungeon Lords Anniversary Edition arrived today. It's, uhh... kinda big (playing card deck for reference).

I was expecting a large box, considering it contains the base game, the Festival Season expansion and a bunch of other stuff. Thinking it and seeing it are two completely different things.

It's simple enough once you get past what components are compatible with which. The guys here have you sorted in that area. From that point on, it's just plugging things in where they go. Wiring the case into the motherboard will be about as hard as it gets—LEGO instructions can be more difficult to follow than finding out where to plug those wires in.

Tolerances on this stuff are pretty small, unlike any of that flat-pack stuff which often needs to be beaten into submission.

Card Boy

Banned
What in the actual hell?? I thought they were supposed to be simplifying that shit this year.

Apparently I am meant to add zone 1+2 which is like 6bux more every 30 days but it lets me go to zone 2 now aswell. I had to go to the train station to find out this info.

I have no bloody clue what the extra 79 zones are from. Might just sample paying no Myki pass just tomorrow to see what the cost is for the day.

How many people would get to this point and quit?

3/4 of the way through MCC collection. Just H4 to go out of the campaigns. It's the only one I have yet to replay so we'll see if I remember it more.

I've made it through 1-3 without a hitch in that regard (since Boxing Day, if that helps)

I haven't tried much multi, one day I played a few rounds next day matchmaking took a personal day because its ex-girlfriend was plying Titanfall.

I had 2 x 2day XBL codes and I used one up and saving the other until I finish Halo 4 campaign.

3/4 of the way through MCC collection. Just H4 to go out of the campaigns. It's the only one I have yet to replay so we'll see if I remember it more.

Didn't finish H2 by the looks of it.

Also read today the MCC kept crashing during the big Halo tournament lol

No, Halo 2 finished fine. I walked off after the epilogue cutscene to watch a movie and the Xbox had auto powered down what I returned. Dunno why it didn't remember.

My experience has been bug free. It's only the matchmaking in multi that has problems.

jambo

Good comic except for the fact that UT and Q3A are better than any of the competitive shooters currently on the market =P

EDIT: Speaking of comics

KH6zvMf.jpg

Stackboy

H4 campaign is great
although I've only finished that and the h3 campaign.

No, Halo 2 finished fine. I walked off after the epilogue cutscene to watch a movie and the Xbox had auto powered down what I returned. Dunno why it didn't remember.

My experience has been bug free. It's only the matchmaking in multi that has problems.

I want to know if saves in campaign have been fixed yet, before I start playing again.

MM online is working really well now, last couple of days I've had no problems.

Halo 5 beta is fantastic too, fasted paced more competitive Halo. This beta is just 343 trying to prove to the fans that Halo is back again though, lets face it.

Gazunta

I put one together last night with 8GB 1600 ram using a pentium anniversary processor on PCCG. At work now but you should be able to get it to sit at around 500 with a 2TB HDD and a full size ATX mobo (B85) and a case that came with 500w PSU integrated.

If he already owns a graphics card then by all means he should roll with that option.

I like this line of thought! :)

Gonna place an order later today.

markot

Banned
Good comic except for the fact that UT and Q3A are better than any of the competitive shooters currently on the market =P

EDIT: Speaking of comics

KH6zvMf.jpg

Hahaha, that was certainly worth the 2 screens of scrolling. In fact, I think it needed 4 more screens to really make the joke pay off.

I like this line of thought! :)

Gonna place an order later today.

https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=394888&action=wish_lists

~$650 w/ shipping.

You can cut it down massively if you don't need windows (540 w/ shipping). Or ~515 with shipping if you can live without a DVD drive and Windows. You could get it cheaper other places possibly, I use PCCG as my all in one shop but it does not always have the lowest prices on some items. Although you might pay just as much/more in shipping unless you can get everything somewhere else, I don't really have time to do those calculations esp since I don't know precisely where in Aus you live. All shipping was calculated to the Eastern Shore of Hobart.

This is using a Micro ATX mobo in a full ATX case (this should work fine but I've never personally tried it). The Intel Pentium processor is not stunning normally, but it has enormous room for overclocking. That B85 mobo can overclock but may not get as good an OC as a Z97 mobo would. But if you want a better mobo, that will cost more. You should still be able to get up to 4ghz or possibly more, I think. You will *not* be able to run some high end games like Far Cry 4 even if you pair it with the most powerful GPU ever made, because it demands more than 2 threads, but something like Civ V should work well enough, when paired with a graphics card of some kind. The intel HD it comes with integrated isn't the highest end integrated, so it's pretty crappy without something to pair it with. It will run CiV though, just not amazingly unless you put it with some video card.

What's the video card you have to pair it with? Or do you not have one? The other guy said he thought you had one to recycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom