• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Um I guess spoiler, but in regards to 3d world and captain kinopio, you'll want to have a save file from 3d world on your wii u.

If you don't you miss out on lots of fun.

Stackboy

you could try that, I just go there because it's the least annoying PC place I know. Like I'm going to go to gamedude up the road. Or that Umart on Logan Rd that looks like that pawnshop in pulp fiction.

Heh, gamedude. I bought the parts for my first pc there, back in 2000. It was dodgy then and they are still doing dodgy things now, from what I hear.

First day back at work doesn't feel so bad. I thought I would struggle getting up early, but so far so good.

I heard Netflix has started making it hard for VPNs to work on the service, anyone had any issues?

Shaneus

So I think I'm addicted to "If You Are the One". Been watching it almost religiously over the holidays and loving every awkward minute of it.

A GAF ad just showed me that infected mushroom is on tour in Australia! Anyone going?

First useful ad in ages!!
Hm. I wouldn't mind checking it out, depends on when it is. Saw them at a festival a few years back and they were pretty nifty and nowhere near as full-on as I was expecting.

Darren870

So I think I'm addicted to "If You Are the One". Been watching it almost religiously over the holidays and loving every awkward minute of it.

Hm. I wouldn't mind checking it out, depends on when it is. Saw them at a festival a few years back and they were pretty nifty and nowhere near as full-on as I was expecting.

Dates in Melbourne are kinda crap, but I am going to try and get to the old school set. I like their older stuff.

Also need to purchase my Sting and Paul Simon tickets too!

Yeah me too, got it on Saturday at Target for $59. Even at $59 it feels like a bargain for a first party Nintendo game.

I dunno... based on the level of content $59 seems way overpriced to me. I refuse to pay Nintendo prices!

A price I was happy with was Bayo 1/2 for $55

markot

Banned
Its maowful.

mao-zedong.jpg

markot

Banned
I think Xcom is a terrible game.

I think the only reason people like it was that it was announced and delivered after the fps announcement of that terrible xcom game they were making.

Seriously. Its shit.

markot

Banned
Why do the aliens get free moves? they move, then they have the OMG ALIENSSSSSSS cutscene every damn timeeeeeeee, then they get another free move.

Why does cover not?

Why is every car explosive?

Why is everyone a terrible shot?

Why cant I pick specializations?

Theres like a billion more.

Dimefan3

7YFtlG4

Hey AusGAF, help me out a little...I just moved in to my new rental, and trying to figure out what the hell kind of TV plug this is. Any thoughts?

jambo

7YFtlG4.jpg

Hey AusGAF, help me out a little...I just moved in to my new rental, and trying to figure out what the hell kind of TV plug this is. Any thoughts?

Just an old 2-pin 300 Ohm antenna plug, probably from the 70s or 80s.

Go to Dick Smith or Jaycar and have a chat, or talk to your rental agent.

Dryk

Hey markot have you ever playing the original XCOM? It's the only one I've played and it'll probably make you want to snap your keyboard in half.

It has proper projectile tracking and collision detection though which is insane for an isometric sprite-based game. It also makes your inaccurate guys easy to handle because their inaccuracy is only measured in degrees. So many lives lost to rockets clipping walls though...

kyser73

Had another ultrasound scan today.

About 10 seconds in the lady had a view of the legs and then pushed up a bit and said "That's a scrotum."

It's a boy!

YAY! Congrats.

Yay! Boys are lots of fun, but I've been told that they're harder to handle once they can walk. Wouldn't know because I was never really around little girls much growing up and I only have the one (male) kid.

I have a 4 year old daughter and a one year old son.

My one year old can already climb better than his sister could at 3. His latest trick, perfected over the break, is to climb onto the sofa, then haul himself up to the window, pull the insect screen aside and attempt to climb out if the window. His level of physical awareness, precision and general derring-do are SO different to his sister it's amazing.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
X-COM - both original and the new one are the fucking shit.

Markot just has bad taste in games.

Gazunta

Speaking of New PCs, is this OK for $500?

AMD FM2 A4-7300 4.0GHz Dual Core CPU
ASUS A78M-E FM2+ MicroATX Motherboard
2 x DDR3 4GB (1x4G) Crucial 1600MHz RAM Module PN CT51264BA160BJ
500GB WD 3.5" 7200rpm SATA 6Gb/s Caviar Blue HDD PN WD5000AAKX
Integrated Video Card
Aywun MicroATX A1-102 Case Black with 420W PSU
Integrated Power Supply
Integrated Sound Card
Integrated Network Connection
Microsoft Windows 8.1 64bit OEM PN WN7-00614

(I'll be adding my own video cards, monitors, keyboards etc)

Speaking of New PCs, is this OK for $500?

AMD FM2 A4-7300 4.0GHz Dual Core CPU

ASUS A78M-E FM2+ MicroATX Motherboard
2 x DDR3 4GB (1x4G) Crucial 1600MHz RAM Module PN CT51264BA160BJ
500GB WD 3.5" 7200rpm SATA 6Gb/s Caviar Blue HDD PN WD5000AAKX
Integrated Video Card
Aywun MicroATX A1-102 Case Black with 420W PSU
Integrated Power Supply
Integrated Sound Card
Integrated Network Connection
Microsoft Windows 8.1 64bit OEM PN WN7-00614

(I'll be adding my own video cards, monitors, keyboards etc)

That is an atrocious CPU but I guess if 500 dollars is your absolute upper limit you may not do much better.

What's your total budget?

Gazunta

I'm looking at $600 tops and have no idea what I'm doing.

I want lots of RAM AND USB PORTS. Beyond that I figure anything is better than the machine I had (6 years old) and what I have now (ie: nothing)

I want lots of RAM AND USB PORTS. Beyond that I figure anything is better than the machine I had (6 years old) and what I have now (ie: nothing)

How do you feel about building it yourself?

What games would you need to be able to play on it?

Shaneus

Dates in Melbourne are kinda crap, but I am going to try and get to the old school set. I like their older stuff.
Damn, that blows. I'm kinda busy so I doubt I'd get to one even if it fit into my schedule somehow, but I'm sure it'd be a great gig.

Locked down the area around Parliament House in Melbourne.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...nding-parliament-house-in-melbourne-evacuated

Was walking past as they were closing it off, cops were pooring out of mini vans and closing the roads.

Someone probably forgot their bag..
That must've been right after I walked past... I didn't see heaps of cops, just a few here and there, a fire truck and some firies putting some tape around the footpath (they'd already taped off the entrances to the park itself). This was just before 5.

Dryk

Getting lots of USB ports is mostly down to MB selection

Yeah me too, got it on Saturday at Target for $59. Even at $59 it feels like a bargain for a first party Nintendo game.
Got it this afternoon for $53 at Shintokyo. Haven't decided whether to finish Champion Road before I start playing it though.

100% on 3D World is just that one fucking level away

I got Shovel Knight in the recent eShop sale and thought it might make for a good palette cleanser between cases in Ace Attorney 5.

Oh my goodness, this game is pure joy. The guys who made this must have had so much fun. I just got ripped off (in-game) to the tune of $1000 and the way it happened so abruptly literally made me laugh out loud. The Castlevania themed level with its blatant rip-off of Death and the suspiciously familiar music was another nice surprise.

Does anyone know what the sparkly areas in the bottomless pits are meant to be?

My one year old can already climb better than his sister could at 3. His latest trick, perfected over the break, is to climb onto the sofa, then haul himself up to the window, pull the insect screen aside and attempt to climb out if the window. His level of physical awareness, precision and general derring-do are SO different to his sister it's amazing.
My son's a climber as well. His favourite thing in the whole playground is the rope castle thing. Even though he physically cannot reach the next level, he will spend hours trying.

We can't leave him alone in the backyard anymore because he'll climb into the trampoline and not ever want to come out.

Kritz

Banned
I got Shovel Knight in the recent eShop sale and thought it might make for a good palette cleanser between cases in Ace Attorney 5.

Oh my goodness, this game is pure joy. The guys who made this must have had so much fun. I just got ripped off (in-game) to the tune of $1000 and the way it happened so abruptly literally made me laugh out loud. The Castlevania themed level with its blatant rip-off of Death and the suspiciously familiar music was another nice surprise.

Does anyone know what the sparkly areas in the bottomless pits are meant to be?

you can fish the sparkly areas with a fishing rod and get sick potions and stuff.
Also, there's a special something related to that $1000!

I came into shovel knight not really expecting much, maybe I'd play through a level or two and move on to another game. But crap, it's so much fun. It's never too difficult, even when you die the checkpoints are quite forgiving. The music's great and the relics make the game feel really megamanny. The game does an amazing job at subtly teaching mechanics, and it's fun as a designer to go through and spot the little hints they give players about how to take advantage of the game's logic.

It wasn't an earth shattering game, and it still doesn't make it onto my top 10 for the year, but it's an incredibly solid game with too few flaws to mention.

you can fish the sparkly areas with a fishing rod and get sick potions and stuff.
Also, there's a special something related to that $1000!

I came into shovel knight not really expecting much, maybe I'd play through a level or two and move on to another game. But crap, it's so much fun. It's never too difficult, even when you die the checkpoints are quite forgiving. The music's great and the relics make the game feel really megamanny. The game does an amazing job at subtly teaching mechanics, and it's fun as a designer to go through and spot the little hints they give players about how to take advantage of the game's logic.

It wasn't an earth shattering game, and it still doesn't make it onto my top 10 for the year, but it's an incredibly solid game with too few flaws to mention.
Cool beans. Ran out of money though, so there's one more guys left in the shop. Maybe I'll replay the alchemist level to see if I can't get that music scroll (the jump you have to make is ridiculous).

Stackboy

Does anyone else watch a lot of twitch? I'm fascinated by it. Think of streaming myself, once I get a little better set up for it.

kyser73

nuclear-homer-simpson.png

Wizball on the C64 Emulator, Stunt Car Racer on the Amiga Emulator and the occasional go of Civilization 5 if I'm feeling particularly decadent. :)

Is your avatar an homage to the old Zzap!64 reviewer boxes?

Also - Wizball! There's a name I haven't seen for a few eons.

Gazunta

Kyser - Yep! It was made for me as part of the 'final' issue, #107.
Still the highlight of my entire games industry career

We need a new Wizball and we need it NOW. Damn that would be a right nice game on a modern handheld.

Fredescu

I have similar ages but reversed sexes and the 9 month old girl is progressing way faster than her brother did at the same age. She's crawling fairly slowly, and pulling herself up etc. My son didn't crawl and walk until very late, well after 1. He bum shuffled though, and I'm glad I got that on video because it's cute as hell to look back on. Their personalities are so different too.

Where I work, I sit near three other guys that all have one boy one girl and my conclusion after years of banter is that we tend to overstate sex as a determinant (probably because it's the easy and obvious one). One guy has a girl that is patient, and that's because girls have good social skills. Another guy has a girl that is impatient, and that's because she's bossy "like all little girls are". So I'm trying not to put behaviour into gender buckets.

People with multiple kids of the same sex talk about the wild differences between them too, so I think we're just this weird melting pot of bizarre influences from everywhere and the best we can do is what Fusebox does and:

just treat her like a boy anyway.

The main difference between them is when you're changing their nappy, the boy is more likely to pee on you, and the girl is harder to clean.

Shovel Knight ey? I picked it up in the STEAM sale and I've played a few hours. Pretty good so far but I feel like it's trying a little too hard to be cute/quirky at times. Still, it's pretty solid and I really like the music.

kyser73

Kyser - Yep! It was made for me as part of the 'final' issue, #107.
Still the highlight of my entire games industry career

We need a new Wizball and we need it NOW. Damn that would be a right nice game on a modern handheld.

We need Sensible Software back generally.

I've also found what I believe to be the best ZZap! resourse on the web. Its even got the 'missing' episode of Terminal Man I missed from issue 12! Man, Oliver Frey could draw.

OK - here's a test for you Gaz - C&VG had its own comic strip which included a VR game called 'God' - can you remember the name of the strip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom