• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
The funnest part is replying to peoples answers with pictures showing what theyre saying. Eatchildren, you're welcome.

HolyCheck

CfF3uBrUEAADb3H.jpg

Lee Lin Chin has apparently been nominated for a Gold Logie, as pointless as the competition might be.

Remember vote early, vote often!

MoonGred

I don't know what it is but hyper light drifter really pisses me off. I've played it for 6 hours and all throughout I kept wondering why I'm still playing the game as I got no enjoyment out of it. The game just isn't fun to me, and it has this feeling of trying too hard. This is the first time that I've ever gotten so annoyed at a game, subconsciously I must have kept on pushing through to get my money's worth.

Anyway is there a nice picross alternative on android, I seem to recall one on Ios.

Jintor

Seriously, what the fuck are they loading that can't be stored locally?

it's probably just pinging the servers for updates.

It's a battery hog and a resource hog, but damned if i don't think it's charming as fuck. so weird it dropped same day the rapp stuff was going down tho. If i didn't know these things were planned ages in advance I'd be all conspiracy theorist

r1chard

Went to the comic store today and they were closed when they should have been open and now I've got an order in with book depository and it'll be daaaaays until I get to read the stuff #firstworldproblems

Also Shiraz.

Also I just watched Tropic Thunder on netflix and I'd like those couple of hours of my life back please.

ps. I played D&D a couple of times last week with my daughter and friends and had a blast and Nick, when are we playing that game you're running again?

HolyCheck

Went to the comic store today and they were closed when they should have been open and now I've got an order in with book depository and it'll be daaaaays until I get to read the stuff #firstworldproblems

Also Shiraz.

Also I just watched Tropic Thunder on netflix and I'd like those couple of hours of my life back please.

ps. I played D&D a couple of times last week with my daughter and friends and had a blast and Nick, when are we playing that game you're running again?

Waiting to hear back from cods on the 10th, he said he'll get back to us this week in irc. Will need to be like a 10am -3pm type job i think. Happy to host.

MoonGred

Does anyone have any recommendations for a desk? I want something that's sturdy and doesn't look atrocious or overly modern. I went to ikea yesterday but they didn't have anything that jumped out at me.
Somewhat related, has anyone used a Herman miller sayl, I need an office chair as well. Ideally under $800, that provides decent back support, the Sayl seems to somewhat fit this bill.

Cerity

Does anyone have any recommendations for a desk? I want something that's sturdy and doesn't look atrocious or overly modern. I went to ikea yesterday but they didn't have anything that jumped out at me.
Somewhat related, has anyone used a Herman miller sayl, I need an office chair as well. Ideally under $800, that provides decent back support, the Sayl seems to somewhat fit this bill.

I said it in the other recent thread about desks/chairs, but look for an auction house around you and see if you can't nab ex-business/office furniture. eg. We've got Laudiston here in Brisbane that does auctions both out of their warehouse and in businesses. Right now they've got a load of solid ex-demo office tables that won't go for more than their starting price ($20-25).

Decent office chairs are a bit harder to come by in those auctions, but you do see them once in awhile. I've seen a few Herman Miller Aeron's go for something stupid like $80

Quasar

Well for chairs I got this around Christmas:

http://www.sitbackandrelax.com.au/sitfit-extra-high-back.html

I'm pretty happy with it, but I had much less to spend than you. Even at 400$ it was crazy expensive for me who normally bought 99$ chairs. But some back issues forced me into getting something better for my back.

MoonGred

Well for chairs I got this around Christmas:

http://www.sitbackandrelax.com.au/sitfit-extra-high-back.html

I'm pretty happy with it, but I had much less to spend than you. Even at 400$ it was crazy expensive for me who normally bought 99$ chairs. But some back issues forced me into getting something better for my back.

I honestly would prefer to save the money but I spend so much time on a chair and need something with lumbar support that won't stuff up my back when I'm older.
Such a shame that steelcase decided to triple their price in the last year. Some people on whirlpool got one for $450 directly from them, all of a sudden they jumped up to $1150 which is insane.

Rizzi

Been waiting for two weeks for a new bank card to show up in the mail.
Slow arse australia post annoying the shit out of me.

Cerity

Anyone interested in these board/card games?

Hanabi
Love Letter
Betrayal at the House on the Hill
The Pillars of the Earth
New England

I'll probably sell them soon as my group isn't really into these games.

Danoss

yo dungeon world is way better than dnd

i wanna play with you guys when i get back

Dungeon World is rad and I wish I had already played. It's like how you'd think D&D would (and should) work if you knew very little about it.

Hit me up whenever. I have a tonne of alternate playbooks, settings (with custom playbooks), weird monsters, etc.

A few cool and useful things are the official SRD, a reference/generator thing a guy made, and the DW Codex (user-submitted monster repository).

Just going to tell everyone that this is a co-op game worth owning. I find most co-op board games are awful and rely on the same mechanic: hidden information. It's hard to do it otherwise, except for the traitor mechanic, which is also awful in games that aren't The Resistance (or one of its variants).

Guess what? Hanabi uses hidden information too! However, it flips it on its head where you know what info everyone else has, but your own is hidden from you. There's more to it, but not much. It's seriously beautiful design; elegant in its simplicity. It's also easy to learn (holding your cards the wrong way takes some getting used to) and quick to play. This is designed by the person behind 7 Wonders, if that means anything to you (I hope it does). May whoever buys this make beautiful fireworks with their friends.

I hear Love Letter is also excellent and, like Hanabi, is another short game. It is competitive instead of co-op. I own it, but haven't yet played it, which seems to be a running theme with many games I own. Someone will surely buy it too.

jambo

I can confirm that Love Letter is great.

There are a few variants out (Hobbit, Batman, Adventure Time) so you can either stay a purist or make it semi familiar for first time players.

Betrayal at the House on the Hill was also good fun.

Rizzi

I can confirm that Love Letter is great.

There are a few variants out (Hobbit, Batman, Adventure Time) so you can either stay a purist or make it semi familiar for first time players.

Betrayal at the House on the Hill was also good fun.

Betrayal at the House on the Hill is fantastic.

jambo

Betrayal at the House on the Hill is fantastic.

Only issue for us currently is that we have 2 couples with toddlers in our group, so longer games often get interrupted or not played at all. Zombicide is one we haven't played for a good long while =[

We've been playing a lot of shorter games like Tsuro, Portal and Love Letter.

Hoping to try out Fluxx soon, heard a lot about it, but have never actually gotten around to playing. We have Star Fluxx at home.

Cerity

Ordered Cyclades and Coup earlier, eyeing a Summoner Wars Master Set that's on ebay to play with some other dudes. Trying to justify purchasing more games haha. Fluxx is one I've been meaning to get too but completely forgot about it when I made my order.

Betrayal was too inbetween for us, none of us really care for themes/flavour in boardgames and we just couldn't get into it. Even after playing through about 10 different haunts. Maybe we'd have liked it more if we didn't have to spend time trying to figure out the rules of the new haunt but we're pretty over it at this stage.

Dryk

Betrayal was fun the one time I played it but I have no desire to play it again. It was too long and janky for what it was IMO.

r1chard

Dougal just bought the latest Dominion expansion. Anyone interested in playing a bunch of Dominion this Saturday?

Also, Hanabi and Love Letter are amazing, especially for introducing to "non gamers".

Betrayal can be fun but it can get a bit derpy sometimes too, which sadly means that sometimes people's first game of it can suck :-(

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Anyone have any recommendations for personal finance? Ultimately i want a bit of understanding on how much i can really borrow for a home loan, average expenses for a single 30yr old, a good way to help balance the ins and outs of my money.

Stuff like that.

HolyCheck

Dougal just bought the latest Dominion expansion. Anyone interested in playing a bunch of Dominion this Saturday?

Also, Hanabi and Love Letter are amazing, especially for introducing to "non gamers".

Betrayal can be fun but it can get a bit derpy sometimes too, which sadly means that sometimes people's first game of it can suck :-(

Classic dougal, I could be down for it.

Darren870

Anyone have any recommendations for personal finance? Ultimately i want a bit of understanding on how much i can really borrow for a home loan, average expenses for a single 30yr old, a good way to help balance the ins and outs of my money.

Stuff like that.

Well what do you want to know? In terms of home loan, you should aim to put down 20%. If you cant then you have to get LMI.

Lets assume you can put 20% down though.

Go to:
http://www.paycalculator.com.au/
See how much you make after tax.

Then go to an online Calc. Usually a bank is easiest.
https://www.nab.com.au/personal/loans/home-loans/home-loan-calculators/borrowing-calculator

You'll need to know your average monthly expenses. The average weekly expense for a single person is $869 (with rent).

After that it should say how much you can borrow. Now I would take probably 20-30% off what is says. Leave some wiggle room. You should still be able to find variable rates for about 4.25% if not less, so put that in. Depending on what you are looking for try to keep your repayments close to your current rental rate.

For loans look at ones that have the advertised rate and the comparison rate the same. This means there is no fees and what you see is what you get. You also WANT and offset account. Don't go for loans with extra repayments and the ability to withdraw. If they don't offer an offset account then tell them you aren't interested. You can negotiate pretty easily with banks, or just use a mortgage broker. They will do all the work for you and its probably better.

What else did you want to know?

If you are looking to cut your spending habits then you should budget. Everyone has different ways of doing this. You can track your expenses. You can set aside some money for x and money for y, or you can just do it all in your end. Really depends how much you want to get into it and how dedicated you want to be. I do everything In my head, but I also don't spend much to be honest. I save way more then I spend so that's a plus for me, but I wasn't always like that. I used to blow all my money and paychecks. Then had a wake up call when I was surrounded by backlogs and crap I never used or touched.

Anything else, just ask! Travel and Personal Finance are my favorite things to talk about. Probably the only reason I stick around on these boards.

MoonGred

So glad I tried out the demo for Hyrule warriors on 3ds, all my feelings for the dynasty warriors franchise came rushing back, I was bored after 10 min, also the game looks like garbage, and doesn't seem to capture the Zelda spirit.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Thanks for all the details, Super good stuff.

@Darren, I have the 20%, that's not an issue. It's all the small things that I don't know how much will end up costing me. I live at home, so there's no money spent on Gas, Electricity, Water, Internet and so on.

I do buy my own food and there's public transport per month, Aside from that there's nothing else going anywhere that I can think of on a weekly or monthly basis.

Transport: $91 a month.
Food: $30ish a week so let's say $140 a month. That excludes my market adventures every 5 or 6 weeks which is under $200.

What's the average for bills that I would be looking at? So I can remove that from the calculation as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom