• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

Sorry Stack, I only confirmed yesterday that I was going! ><

The PS4K thing is super interesting. I wonder how they're going to do it and maintain forwards compatibility. I'm thinking that if it's just a GPU enhancement, where the extra performance is put towards extra memory and bandwidth needed for the extra resolution, it wouldn't be that painful for developers. Heck, we had multiple texture sets for our games depending on what device it was running on, and it just became part of the regular development process. Should be interesting.

I am pretty pro-evolutionary updates like all my other hardware rather 6-8 year waits. I kind of wonder if this was planned from the start with the move to the stability of x86 etc.

I'm just a little surprised we know more about this than we do the XBO 1.5.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I pay 85 for 4.5mbps down and .5 up, 250gb easy bundle plan with the same company. I swear I got cable problems too or something but Internode just don't care.

At first I thought "the fuck", then I realised easy bundle is a ADSL plan, not nbn. I don't know, if you need a home phone and everything Telstra's nbn might be cheaper, but for me the pricing for 100/40 1tb between the two is identical.

hamchan

Gilmore Girls season 7 done. Underwhelming series finale but I guess it doesn't matter that much anymore.

Logan was the best guy out of them all. Logan > Jess > Dean. They all got treated not great by Rory though if I have to be honest.

I am all prepared for the revival hooray

senahorse

Speaking of old shows that made a recent comeback, X-Files. I was so excited for this, I thought it was going to be great. But damn what a huge huge letdown, I wish it was never revived.

Rezbit

Honestly I'm probably out of console gaming if they move to shorter cycles. Don't see the value in spending hundreds of dollars every couple of years. Might just upgrade PC...or get a new hobby :\

dity

There is no way I can afford a new console every two years PLUS VR.

At first I thought "the fuck", then I realised easy bundle is a ADSL plan, not nbn. I don't know, if you need a home phone and everything Telstra's nbn might be cheaper, but for me the pricing for 100/40 1tb between the two is identical.
I care more about reliability than price at this point. For $95 I can get 500GB (1000GB now I assume given the recent news) and be at the top of the food chain for technical service. Better than needing to have a good enough reason to be escalated through iiNet and TPG to Optus for a line check.

Quasar

Speaking of old shows that made a recent comeback, X-Files. I was so excited for this, I thought it was going to be great. But damn what a huge huge letdown, I wish it was never revived.

I really liked it myself. Hell....one of the episodes I'd consider one of its best ever.

Hmmm. So it's going to be a whole new console, and not an add-on? wtf

If they do some kind of trade-in deal where they give me a 4K for ~$200(AUD, obv) I might bite, but only after seeing the benefits of it. I almost predict another PSX (the TV tuner thing) level of bomb if it's not done properly.

Edit: I've just realised something. Short of Driveclub and one or two other titles (mostly PS+ stuff) I don't really see there being a benefit *for me* in getting an upgraded PS4. If they called it PS5 and made it backward compatible, maybe... But right now, I'm only partially invested (non-monetarily) in PSVR and GT, and that's about all that has me tied to a more powerful PS4 in the future.

Can't imagine what those people who pre-ordered the PSVR will be like, knowing they'll be getting quite the cut down experience compared to their PS4K brethren (unless they choose to drop ANOTHER $500 on a console upgrade).

and there was me thinking I would be getting a UK PS4 to play uncharted (I left my launch PS4 in Australia) to play UC4.

Bring back Wombat and Beyond 2000

Pfft, Towards 2000 on the ABC
https://youtu.be/_Tx6TYnPat8?t=8m17s

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I care more about reliability than price at this point. For $95 I can get 500GB (1000GB now I assume given the recent news) and be at the top of the food chain for technical service. Better than needing to have a good enough reason to be escalated through iiNet and TPG to Optus for a line check.

I work at Telstra. Good luck bro.

Does anyone know how to completely get rid of everything that Getflix changes, I'm having nothing but issues having to update my IP every 30min. There's nothing I can find to help me.

Quasar

Does anyone know how to completely get rid of everything that Getflix changes, I'm having nothing but issues having to update my IP every 30min. There's nothing I can find to help me.

Does Geflix change anything? I mean I manually set my DNS to theirs but thats it.

So I'd think all you need to do is to change the DNS your device is pointing to.

Does Geflix change anything? I mean I manually set my DNS to theirs but thats it.

So I'd think all you need to do is to change the DNS your device is pointing to.

Oh really that's it?

I changed it but I'm still getting these weird drop outs every so often, could be a router or ISP issue then.....

jambo

It was way more than that between my PS3 and 4. :/

2008-2014.

Hell, I can still own the 3. Instead the PS4 becomes redundant.

Most console generations have been around 5 years, the gap between PS360 and PS4XB1 was the longest we've had.

The same thing happened with Windows, with everyone going mental about how quick 7, 8 and 10 came out after Vista, because they got used to just using XP for ages.

I've never had a PlayStation (the wife did have a PSX* when we met), and don't plan to buy one this generation either.

Having a PS4K come out wouldn't bother me at all, as long as the games continue to function acceptably on the PS4. And I don't see what all the fuss is about. It'll surely just be the PS4 with the VR stuff built in, optional better graphics, and 4K upscaling. It's not like anyone with a PS4 is suddenly missing out. I imagine Sony will put guidelines in place to ensure games will be fine on PS4.

Not a big deal at all in my opinion. Buy the new thing if you want the newest thing. But it's not like you have to buy all the things.

* I still call the original PlayStation the PSX, deal with it.

Oh really that's it?

I changed it but I'm still getting these weird drop outs every so often, could be a router or ISP issue then.....

Dude I had EXACTLY the same problem, make sure that your DNS settings are DEFINITELY set to automatic again instead of the custom number you had to set it to. Also if it's just Netflix you're trying to access, Smartflix worked really well for me for a couple of weeks before I fell into the '30% of people at any-time are blocked by Netflix using other regions' dealio which I can put up with for a free, smooth service. Should be back online within the week, apparently.

Chris Carter is a hack :), he shouldn't be allowed to write those mythology episodes, just terrible. Also how they brought back cancer man I will never know.

If he stepped aside I'd be ecstatic but it won't happen :(

Darin Morgan is still doing amazing work though. I've watched his ep 5 times now, one of the greatest easily!

You know what's better than video games?

Reading.

On track to do 35 books this year!

Homer-yells-nerd.gif

dity

Most console generations have been around 5 years, the gap between PS360 and PS4XB1 was the longest we've had.

The same thing happened with Windows, with everyone going mental about how quick 7, 8 and 10 came out after Vista, because they got used to just using XP for ages.
We went forwards. Let's not take 2 steps back now.

Batman vs Superman wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be... Anyone else seen it yet?

There was some good stuff in it, liked a lot of angry Batfleck, WW was cool, the OST is great but jeez is it full of boring filler and what was with the Justice league trailer section? Click on Flash for a flash trailer etc... Also Lex was laughable.

Axiom

Yeah for me BvS ultimately sabotages itself despite having individual parts that are very good and/or very watchable

Batman and Superman are so damn similar, Metropolis is just as dark as Gotham. There's no contrast. The conflict feels unearned and the way Luthor is written is just a shitshow.

Batfleck, Alfred, Wonder Woman, her theme song, fight choreography and shot composition stand out. It speaks volumes that people generally agree this stuff is great and still don't like the film a ton.

Yeah I found all of the superman bits kind of boring, but I've never been interested in that character or story anyway. Really loved the batman bits though,
even if he doesn't seem to care about killing anymore? Unless those dudes in the car stack are fine. Also those dream sequences were a bit out of place...
and WW was awesome! I'm sad it's getting so canned. I guess I'm the opposite, I enjoyed it in spite of the bad bits rather than hating it with the good bits.

Probably spoilery this bit:

But the whole fight between the two where
they realise their mothers have the same name and this is so mind blowing they instantly become bros? Really? I've never read a comic in my life, was this drawn from the source material? If not, it was a little naff.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Probably spoilery this bit:

But the whole fight between the two where
they realise their mothers have the same name and this is so mind blowing they instantly become bros? Really? I've never read a comic in my life, was this drawn from the source material? If not, it was a little naff.

Or bats realised they were more alike than he thought when his parents mean everything to him. You know, like a human.

Quasar

Well that's interesting, with Amazon I've been using a US address as my billing address with my NAB card but suddenly its started being declined (I guess because the billing address does not match the cards address).

Anyone else noticed this lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom