• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Stepped down. Don't really have time to dig through all the PMs I get, or do what a mod should be doing. Figured it was better to clear it up.

fair enough hey.

we need a new one,

those deaf mutes can't be trusted. he doesn't like the 5th element.

edit L oh god hes here

edit: holy shit quick edit finally works! no need to go advanced!

seanoff

well the hottest 100 has probably the worst top10 i've ever seen.

at least 5 of the top 10 are garbage. total garbage. Peking Duk + Faker. really, that's the best we can do.

hidys

Pretty sure only 3 of my picks ended up in there which is fine because Close Your Eyes (And Count To Fuck) by Run The Jewels was one of those picks.

Of the top 10 I only really like Chet Faker's 1998.

seanoff

No it was complete garbage shit because his favourite songs weren't in it.

Don't you understand how polls work?!

i'm a bit more jaded than that. It's what Richard Kingsmill was pushing and after hearing some things about getting music on triplej ......

I'd like to see him put out to pasture and have some one else teleport into the music director role or a committee of people or just give the presenters a list of stuff thats playable and let them at it. he's stale and holds too much sway over what is heard.

Quasar

Well thats bloody weird.

So over the weekend I decided to try and reduce the space my media collection was taking up, so I'm been running my bluray rips through Handbreak to make smaller files.

Anyway, alone of those files, Aliens, the handbreak compressed version turned out bigger (by about 8 GB) than the rip. WTF. meanwhile everything else turned out 30-50% smaller.

i'm a bit more jaded than that. It's what Richard Kingsmill was pushing and after hearing some things about getting music on triplej ......

I'd like to see him put out to pasture and have some one else teleport into the music director role or a committee of people or just give the presenters a list of stuff thats playable and let them at it. he's stale and holds too much sway over what is heard.

I'm happy with the work he's doing. Allows plenty of variety while still staying ahead of the curve with some stuff (alt-pop, electronic, etc).

I've read a lot of salty bands bitching about their music not getting played, haven't come across any that are putting out solid efforts still tbh. Link some if you can, I'm all for expanding my listening into stuff I'm not hearing.

jambo

Yeah, I found a bunch of new music yesterday thanks to listening to the Hottest 100.

If there is more great stuff that isn't being played because of Kingsmill feel free to list some.

(I buy way too many CDs =S)

Looked at the past few years Hottest 100s on wiki last night, feel like 2014 is the worst one since 2011.

Wish Peking Duk got no.1. I liked Chet Faker's EP Thinking In Textures from a couple years ago but found his album to be pretty balls.

I've had no issue on Chrome using quick edit.

Had the same experience as Holy. Never used to work for me on Chrome.

Yeah I'd be up for a new person to freshen things up, change direction slightly.
Kingsmill's been in charge for so long.

Fredescu

I've never had to "go advanced" to edit. The problem I had was that after clicking save on the edit, the page would never load, it would just sit there spinning it's wheels. The edit does actually go through, I would just have to manually reload the page to see it.

Edit: test. Now it works!

Yeah, Hottest 100 was balls. So many songs from the same artists, often lumped closely together, shows that many people were voting for their favourite artists as opposed to putting effort into really trying to determine which were the best songs of the year.

Doesn't help that no 1 is a super boring song! I'm fine with a song I dislike winning, but there's nothing more frustrating than an utterly bland filler track getting the top spot.

Mr. Tone

nTZHITu.png

Really, Tele?

Edit: Here's the story it links to.

Gazunta

So a couple of months back I bought this from Amazon UK:

51MJ4mI-x4L._SY300_.jpg

We meant to get around to watching it on the Christmas break, but a trip to Melbourne got in the way and it wasn't until the long weekend we got time to watch it.

Popped it into the PS3. PROBLEM: The discs are Region 2. The PS3 only plays Region 4. I can't recall this being an issue with previous seasons of this show, but I figure hey I am surrounded by gadgets, I can work around this.

OK, let me pop it into my generic Blu-ray player that plays all DVD region discs. PROBLEM: The Blu-ray player only has HDMI out. The HDMI port on the lounge room TV is busted and has been for ages, which is why I haven't used that player in ages either.

Alright, lemme just pop up to the shops to get a super cheap DVD player. PROBLEM: It doesn't actually, er, work. Dodgy power supply. So I take it back and get it replaced. That one doesn't work either, as it has a broken remote. It's $20 so whatever but STILL.

OK, let's just rip the DVDs. PROBLEM: I have no computers with an optical drive any more.

Maybe I can just download some rips of the show? PROBLEM: I have no computers with any of that stuff on it any more. That was the job of the old desktop / media server machine which died a few weeks back.

OK, let me just install all that uTorrent stuff on the Surface Pro. PROBLEM: The Surface Pro keyboard was accidentally left at the office. Doing that kind of stuff with a touch screen was going to be a massive pain in the ass. I could plug in a USB keyboard...if I had any USB keyboards, which I didn't.

OK, how about I just use this old netbook we have lying around the house? PROBLEM: It is like five years old and slow as fucking molasses. Even just getting to desktop takes 20 minutes, let alone the time required to open Chrome or god forbid install software uTorrent.

A day later I get the episodes downloaded. PROBLEM: I have no USB flash drives to copy the files to. Where the fuck did I put them all? Oh yeah I haven't used any in years thanks to Dropbox. So a trip to the shops to get a USB drive.

OK, now I can copy the files to a USB drive (again, taking ages) and plug it into the PS3. PROBLEM: The PS3 doesn't natively play .mkv files. I mean why the FUCK would it want to do that. The Xbox 360 doesn't, either.

Maybe I can download .mp4 versions? Yeah, no, not really. A search online shows mkv versions of every episode, and only a few episodes are available in mp4 format. So I need to find a way around this.

OK, so I'll just put PS3 Media Server on the Netbook and stream them from the Netbook to the PS3. PROBLEM: The Netbook is a fucking piece of shit that can't actually stream video fast enough to the PS3 in order to play it smoothly. You have to let it buffer for about five minutes in order to watch 10 minutes of video. Buffer. Watch until the buffer runs out. Buffer. Watch until the buffer runs out.

So...at the end of the day, a 48 minute episode takes 2+ hours to watch, and I just spend the whole time watching the buffer go down so I knew when to hit pause. Really great way to spend my long weekend.

All because of one fucking region code, and that the DVD wasn't available locally. FFS.

jambo

1. Buy a new TV

2. Buy an XBone

3. Only buy blu-rays from Amazon UK

4. Don't leave your shit at work

Gotta spend dat Kickstarter money =P

I've never had to "go advanced" to edit. The problem I had was that after clicking save on the edit, the page would never load, it would just sit there spinning it's wheels. The edit does actually go through, I would just have to manually reload the page to see it.

Oh yeah that was my problem too, not sure anymore if Holy was talking about that.

Yeah, Hottest 100 was balls. So many songs from the same artists, often lumped closely together, shows that many people were voting for their favourite artists as opposed to putting effort into really trying to determine which were the best songs of the year.

Doesn't help that no 1 is a super boring song! I'm fine with a song I dislike winning, but there's nothing more frustrating than an utterly bland filler track getting the top spot.

I hold myself to one song one artist rule (but I don't really have to hold myself to it anyway)

I have the most specific First World problems in the First World

So, in your exact same place, i would have:

pop to Harvey Norman or JB, pick up external USB DVD drive to hook up to your new imac, DL Handbrake, and rip and convert the episodes that way. Would still have take a few hours to do the whole season. You could still have burned them to a DVD that would play in the PS3 if you had no better way to stream from your computer. You could have also just watched them on the imac screen playing through the DVD drive.

Incidentally, I started watching series 5 last night.

they say wirelesses are so much more reliable these days

Don't get torrents going on the Surface Gaz, leave that thing clean! Would hate for it to get shit clogging it up.

Had no idea UK DVD's didn't work here. Although I haven't bought one in years tbh, not since I got the PS3 and started grabbing Blu Rays.

Yeah it's been that way for months/years I assumed. Would work properly every now and then but it was really rare, seemed to pop if you edited quickly.

Gazunta

Yeah, spot on Clive. I didn't even think of a USB DVD drive as an option! Feel like a bit of a fool now :p

And absolutely Rep. I hate the idea of installing ANYthing on the Surface Pro, especially dodgy downloading shit. I feel like that episode of Seinfeld where Elaine has to judge guys on being 'sponge-worthy'. IS THIS SOFTWARE WORTHY OF BEING INSIDE MY SURFACE?!

Most UK DVDs are dual coded for Regions 2 and 4 (like BBC stuff, Big studios) but there are cases with some smaller distributors, particularly the ones that don't operate outside of Europe, make their discs R2 only- lots of ITV and channel 4 shows.

Also- Sony Bluray players tend to be region free for DVD, but for Gazunta's purposes, they have gone HDMI only as well.

I'm sure someone wanted a cheap 3D Blu Ray player for their parents recently, $99 at Dick Smith.

EDIT: Actually that Memopad is the low tier dual core one, not the HD one. Ignore that!

They also have The Order 1886 for $59 preorder. The recent trailer sucked me in so I'll be grabbing a copy.

I'm sure someone wanted a cheap 3D Blu Ray player for their parents recently, $99 at Dick Smith.

EDIT: Actually that Memopad is the low tier dual core one, not the HD one. Ignore that!

They also have The Order 1886 for $59 preorder. The recent trailer sucked me in so I'll be grabbing a copy.

We ended up getting a ridiculously expensive panasonic 3D BR player + triple tuner combo.

Dryk

Can we just permanently reserve #3 for the Hilltops at this point?

its always like this, i dont know why youre surprised. chet faker fucking sucks though, he ruined such a great song with a shitty cover. (lover lover)

hidys

its always like this, i dont know why youre surprised. chet faker fucking sucks though, he ruined such a great song with a shitty cover. (lover lover)

I think that dude has some interesting instrumentation on a few songs, but he can't sing and his lyrics suck.

He is like an inferior Caribou.

Gazunta

Good morning AusGAF, how would you like a comic about Ikari Warriors? Well too bad here it is anyway:

Should I go and have a hot chocolate y/n

Stackboy

Gaz's big rant about problems with physical media

Damn Gaz, how did you make your life so hard? Serious question.

I think I got like 5 or 6 songs I voted for in the hottest 100. Previous years I was lucky to get 1 or 2. I thought I was out of the jjj demographic, but maybe I'm falling back into it.

Got that sweet Optus unlimited bundle installed yesterday, no worries. I think my internet is actually running faster now.

Still really enjoying Stan. Check out Transparent. There's only one season so far, but it's pretty funny.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I'll soon be with you guys. I got a working holiday visa and will be arriving in about two weeks.

Questions:

1) Is is possible to get an affordable sim-card-only deal with unlimited or 10GB+ internet usage?
2) What is the Australian equivalent of Tesco/Wallmart/Carrefour/where can I buy cheap stuff/etc?
3) Is anyone wanting to hire me to do some working holiday shit?

HolyCheck

I'll soon be with you guys. I got a working holiday visa and will be arriving in about two weeks.

Questions:

1) Is is possible to get an affordable sim-card-only deal with unlimited or 10GB+ internet usage?
2) What is the Australian equivalent of Tesco/Wallmart/Carrefour/where can I buy cheap stuff/etc?

hahaha you're funny.

Gazunta

Stack, it is a question I would pay good money to find an answer to.

industrian HOO BOY

1) You can't. Some places like Virgin Mobile will let you go on a 2 year contract and get 4GB of data for like $80 a month. Expect most places to give you a quarter of that. Internet is a precious resource here that can't be used willy-nilly!

2) You're probably just best off going to your local Westfield shopping mall and hitting Target / Big W / K-Mart and whatever grocery story is in there (Usually Woolworths and / or Coles)

3) Good luck. What kind of stuff do you do?

Questions:

1. I don't think so but maybe look at amaysim they seem the cheapest
2. We don't really have one that is exactly the same but Coles/Woolworths are our supermarket grocery places, and Kmart/Big W/Target are like the "other" stuff, like clothes, electronics, etc. But it's not as good as what I understand it's like in the US/UK
3. Good luck

Fredescu

Not 10GB. There are a few decent plans that give 5GB, like: http://www.amaysim.com.au/mobile-plans/amaysim-unlimited

All the little providers will be reselling access to either Telstra, Optus, or Vodafone. Some will have 4G, some will just be 3G. The Whirlpool forums are the best place to find discussion on the ins and outs of all of them: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/114

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
1) You can't. Some places like Virgin Mobile will let you go on a 2 year contract and get 4GB of data for like $80 a month. Expect most places to give you a quarter of that. Internet is a precious resource here that can't be used willy-nilly!
1. I don't think so but maybe look at amaysim they seem the cheapest

I'd be good with just an internet option. Virgin seem to have a $40 monthly deal with a 12GB cap, and that should be enough (I plan just to use this internet purely for my current job as below.)

Your latter statement seems to be the accurate description, Gazunta. What I've seen so far makes my parent's 1Mb connection with a 10GB cap look like value for money.

I'll look into amaysim as well, teacupcopter.

2) You're probably just best off going to your local Westfield shopping mall and hitting Target / Big W / K-Mart and whatever grocery story is in there (Usually Woolworths and / or Coles)
2. We don't really have one that is exactly the same but Coles/Woolworths are our supermarket grocery places, and Kmart/Big W/Target are like the "other" stuff, like clothes, electronics, etc. But it's not as good as what I understand it's like in the US/UK

Thanks. All I'll need is a place for instant noodles and/or beans. As long as I don't starve.

3) Good luck. What kind of stuff do you do?
3. Good luck

Thanks. I work from home for a Taiwanese company and that pays around AU$2000 a month. Which is good in Taiwan, "liveable" in Scotland and I assume is very little in Australia. I'd prefer to work while in Australia in order to save as much as I can.

I'd be up for doing some farm work or something where I'm on my feet. Which is funny because I've got a software development degree and all and my last three jobs were marketing for IT companies. But I'd prefer to not be sitting behind a desk in a place like Australia.

damn rooster, pinocchio got dark all of a sudden.

haha oh yeah I know what you're talking about
Looking back the show is bit of a mess lol, is all over the place. Barely even uses its title concept. But despite all that it still's so damn watchable.
Watched Healer yet?

Should I go and have a hot chocolate y/n

Trick question, it's always yes.

Question:

Aldi is a supermarket that has good quality, super low price foods. Kmart can furnish most of your house and yourself for super cheap too.

$500 a week should be fine solo, depends a LOT on how much your rent/board is though. That and utilities are painful, food is cheap.

HolyCheck

haha oh yeah I know what you're talking about
Looking back the show is bit of a mess lol, is all over the place. Barely even uses its title concept. But despite all that it still's so damn watchable.
Watched Healer yet?

Nah, not yet, got a few episodes queued up though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom