• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I see it as pretty shit news. But then alot of what I listen to isn't on Spotify or other streaming services (so Google Music is great as I can add that music to the stream).

And I can't help but see it as a lost opportunity for Sony. They are sitting on labels and music that no-one else has. They could have used that exclusive content to help prop up MU.

Then again Sony as a whole is bleeding money, so I guess its understandable. Makes me wonder when they also kill their video store.

Spotify has a much much larger range of music than MU had though. I'm sure this deal is profitable for Sony otherwise they wouldn't have done it. Probably a good bargaining chip for them was their labels too I expect.

Pretty sure the video store is changing too, or already has.

Rubixcuba

Banned
What the fuck are Amiibo, by the way? Just figurines? Or like Skylanders or something?

Amiibo is life.

They are figurines in a similar vein to Skylanders. Scan with the NFC on gamepad and earn stuff in compatible games. For example in Hyrule Warriors that I am playing, you earn a random reward each day per amiibo.

They are of most use so far in Smash Bros, in which you can battle and 'train' your amiibo to level 50. There isn't much use to amiibo yet in a practical sense, but they are probably closest we'll get to Nintendo figurines mass produced at a reasonable price.

Quasar

Spotify has a much much larger range of music than MU had though. I'm sure this deal is profitable for Sony otherwise they wouldn't have done it. Probably a good bargaining chip for them was their labels too I expect.

I imagine so. Most of the costs of running such a service are gone, the free spotify tier means potentially more Sony Music revenue from PS3/4 owners.

It just doesn't suit me at all. Though I guess once the PS4 Plex app adds music support I can stream my music there at least. Though not as background music.

radaxian

Big W Newcastle was successful! They had two of each Wave 3. I picked up Shiek and Shulk, the other three guys picked up rest. No one likes King Dedede haha. Was going to get Toon Link but his sword was bent :(

Haha. I came in later and took that last 3 which were Bowser, Toon Link and Zelda (old). First I've bought. Link sword bending is minor enough that I didn't notice. I hadn't realised the complex compatibility matrix with games, sigh. Nintendo sure made this up as they went along.

Stackboy

Personally I see it as pretty shit news. But then alot of what I listen to isn't on Spotify or other streaming services (so Google Music is great as I can add that music to the stream).

And I can't help but see it as a lost opportunity for Sony. They are sitting on labels and music that no-one else has. They could have used that exclusive content to help prop up MU.

Then again Sony as a whole is bleeding money, so I guess its understandable. Makes me wonder when they also kill their video store.

Spotify is my main music listening tool at home, the more devices its on, the better.

Quasar

Spotify is my main music listening tool at home, the more devices its on, the better.

Oh I'm certainly not against it as an option. I'd just like some user choice in the whole thing. Rather than this being the one anointed music solution.

I did look at spotify in the past. Just that so many of my normal music searches turned up nothing (primarily JPop and related genres). Not that any other service was different. Which is why Google Music was/is so good. I can precure all that music myself upload it and its integrated into the cloud service. None one else did or does that. Not that I like that work around..after all importing japanese cds just to get this music is costly.

Rubixcuba

Banned
Haha. I came in later and took that last 3 which were Bowser, Toon Link and Zelda (old). First I've bought. Link sword bending is minor enough that I didn't notice. I hadn't realised the complex compatibility matrix with games, sigh. Nintendo sure made this up as they went along.
An NewieGAF meet up was so close, haha.
That Zelda was a return apparently, was there yesterday but I had passed on it. I'm glad I lined up today, I wasn't going to bother as they said yesterday they wouldn't have any Wave 3 in for today.

The amiibo compatibility is pretty confusing confusing. Smash and Hyrule Warriors work best so far.

radaxian

So I tried getting silverlight working on my linux MythTV/XBMC mini server for Stan. That wasn't fun, and failed. After 3 hours I had it running choppy and slow without using the nvidia hardware decoding. Chromecast is the go I guess for the ease/price.

XBMC supports airplay and appears as an option on my iPhone but the double wireless connection fails big time and gives me audio only.

Darren870

Whoa this is awesome. I'll remember it as I'm sure it would suit a number of friends.

Yea it was great! Amazing way to see Australia.

Doesn't seem to be. I have had a backup lyca connection for a couple of years, they use telstra network so connectivity is good. I mostly use them for overseas calls though, 29c flagfall and 0c/min calls :)

I actually might sign up the missus and I for this! We are with Yatango (Optus Network) and while its only like $25 its not that good.

We'll arrive in Gold Coast and will probably be in Brisbane for the first month or so.

I've been checking Gumtree for jobs already. I'd prefer not to do any freelance writing/editing because it's boring as hell. But money is money. :)

Should look into the House Sitting thing! Great way to see all of Australia and since you have a WFH job its even more ideal. Guess that would be a bit of a problem for your missus but you could always do farm jobs and such. I think your visa locks you to employer for 6 months anyways.

If you come down to Melbourne let me know, can grab a drink! I remember you from Brit-Gaf.

KING DEDEDE DEFENCE FORCE REPRESENT YOU HEATHENS

Who are you defending him from? Everyone is glowing about Dedede! Also he has a big fucking hammer, he can defend him self!

Oh I'm certainly not against it as an option. I'd just like some user choice in the whole thing. Rather than this being the one anointed music solution.

I got the impression MU struggled to get a decent sized subscriber base so I'm not shocked they went with a more popular option in the end. Would be strange to drop MU if it wasn't losing money in the end.

Dryk

The weirdest thing about the chart is that Nintendo's games treat Toon Link the same as Link, but the third party ones don't

i had to buy some of the missing wave 1and 2 amiibos from Amazon and a bunch turned up today at the post office. I went around 9:30 to check Big W and they had none.

buying the newest ones online instead of picking them up and going to an open checkout

Shaneus

Spotify coming to PS4? Sweet! Means I can load up, say, a GTA playlist or any other random playlist and rock out to it in Driveclub.
Amiibo is life.

They are figurines in a similar vein to Skylanders. Scan with the NFC on gamepad and earn stuff in compatible games. For example in Hyrule Warriors that I am playing, you earn a random reward each day per amiibo.

They are of most use so far in Smash Bros, in which you can battle and 'train' your amiibo to level 50. There isn't much use to amiibo yet in a practical sense, but they are probably closest we'll get to Nintendo figurines mass produced at a reasonable price.
Cheers, exactly the response I was looking for :) Shame I can't hide posts on GAF that contain keywords though, I'd hide that instantly. Honestly couldn't interest me less (but that's just me).

Quasar

I got the impression MU struggled to get a decent sized subscriber base so I'm not shocked they went with a more popular option in the end. Would be strange to drop MU if it wasn't losing money in the end.

I guess one curiousity is rather than just have a spotify app on the ps3/4 they are starting a new service 'powered by spotify'. I guess maybe thats so people don't need additional accounts or there are hurdles to get background playback to work that normal ps3/4 apps can't do.

Shaneus

Hopefully they have a sale on the Premium sub sometime before then as a tie-in promo, I'm enjoying the cheap one I got at Christmas time.
Eh, it's $10 a month for all the music I can handle, and I don't have to hunt it down on dodgy Russian sites. Very much worth the money, IMO.

If Shulk is still at my Target I'll send it up for ya Fuse.

Eh, it's $10 a month for all the music I can handle, and I don't have to hunt it down on dodgy Russian sites. Very much worth the money, IMO.

lol nah I meant Spotify itself, they had a deal where it was like $10 for 3 months of premium (or $1 if you hadn't used a premium trial before).

Fusebox

Banned
If Shulk is still at my Target I'll send it up for ya Fuse.

Thx man, but you just made me remember that they reissued Shulk and I've got him preordered already. Happy days.

Just got Sheik, Sonic, Megaman, Lucario and MetaKnight in the post today and the rest I've set to pickup at EB.

Stackboy

The great thing about it coming to PSN is you don't have to be a paid spotify subscriber to use it either. It's ad supported too.

I'm talking about Spotify itself. I'm not bothered about a discount because it only costs me $10 a month or whatever.

Ah cool I was referring to the Russian thing, it wasn't a cheaper regional rate it was a Christmas deal for all regions, it popped up in my Spotify app while I was using the ad supported version.

legend166

So that World Population Map thread on OT showed me I know nothing about populations in Africa.

Pop quiz: without looking at any sources, how many people would you say lived in Nigeria?

Fusebox

Banned
Nice! How's the kid enjoy them?

She loves em. I have a big stash and get one out whenever she deserves a pressie. Her fave thing is just unwrapping and then figuring out where in the collection the new one should live.

Btw I was wrong about Shulk, I was confusing it with Marth. Turns out I also forgot to order a couple from this wave too.

Now I'm missing:

Marth
King Dedede
Ike
Little Mac

senahorse

So that World Population Map thread on OT showed me I know nothing about populations in Africa.

Pop quiz: without looking at any sources, how many people would you say lived in Nigeria?

I have no idea, I was going to say I dunno 1 million, turns out it's 185million yikes.

I have no idea, I was going to say I dunno 1 million, turns out it's 185million yikes.

That explains the volume of emails.

I'll get me coat.

I'd show that to my (elderly) dad, who has a fascination with population numbers as a simple way to define a country. He claims to be unable to learn/ refuses to learn to use a computer so he has his trusty SBS World Guide from whenever they last printed them. "Hmm, Germany? that's 90 million, so they beat France who only have 60 million."

Gazunta

Did I make the topic of this morning's staff meeting "Name an '80s movie that you'd love to see brought back" as a sly way of rooting out all the people losing their shit about the Ghostbusters being g-g-giiiiirls YESSS MAYBE I DIIIIIID

Did I make the topic of this morning's staff meeting "Name an '80s movie that you'd love to see brought back" as a sly way of rooting out all the people losing their shit about the Ghostbusters being g-g-giiiiirls YESSS MAYBE I DIIIIIID

I don't understand why this is a thing. It's a cool idea, rumoured for months. I don't understand why people would be outraged or even think for more than a millisecond it could be justified.

Who's getting
eaten out by the ghost?

So yeah, I'm gonna call the Ghostbusters whether they have boobs or not. Fortunately, the surviving original cast still qualify on that score.

Most excited by Kate McKinnon in this. She's one of the few reasons to watch SNL at the moment.

They could have only made this better with Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. I am on NeoGaf, so I know all about casting better than the directors.

Fusebox

Banned
I don't understand why this is a thing. It's a cool idea, rumoured for months. I don't understand why people would be outraged or even think for more than a millisecond it could be justified.

For me, I can't help but feel that the new cast doesn't have the combined comedic talent of Bill Murrays pinky finger.

For me, I can't help but feel that the new cast doesn't have the combined comedic talent of Bill Murrays pinky finger.
Well yeah, it's Bill Murray. No one does.

Aside from Melissa McSamethingineverymovie the cast are great and should do a great job if the script isn't a piece of shit.

Ghostbusters 2 was a lazy cash grab, remains to be seen if this will be as lazy.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I have the following spares if anyone is wishing to barter.

Marth x3
Villager
Link
Fox
Wii fit trainer.

I have nothing from wave 3 (might have a sticky beak in the cbd now, but I assume that'll be fruitless) and all of wave 2 except pit and Lil mac.

Fusebox

Banned

Marth x3
Villager
Link
Fox
Wii fit trainer.

I have nothing from wave 3 (might have a sticky beak in the cbd now, but I assume that'll be fruitless) and all of wave 2 except pit and Lil mac.

I need a Marth pretty badly but I didn't buy any Amiibo spares to swap. :(

Need any 3DS games? I'd be happy to swap a few games for a Marth, I know you could get $60 for him on ebay easily.

Edit: I've got about 3000 club Nintendo points if you want something from there too,

Link
I wouldn't mind the Link (and I suppose the Zelda, but then I'd go nuts and get the Toon Link and Sheik too, and ... ugh), but only really want it because I have a couple of other Link figures so it'd be nice to add another. I don't even have a Wii U so it's of no use to me other than as something to put on a shelf; if there's someone who wants it more because they will actually use it, then cool with me. I'm also not really willing to pay over RRP, because I'm a cheap PC gamer.

Dryk

I saw Toon Link, Mega Man, Bowser, Rosalina and Sonic at TTP Kmart this evening. They all look pretty good, even the Luma's stand is fine.

markot

Banned
Threads like these are why people join Isis.

There I said it.

And now you are all on a list because I put 'join isis' in a sentence. And you deserve it.

Stackboy

Anyone still playing Destiny? I know a lot of people have gripes with the game but I've stuck with it and every few days find myself going back to it for an hour or 2. I'm a level 28 Titan, close to hitting 29. Picked up the Icebreaker a few weeks ago from Xur and finished the level 30 weekly heroic yesterday, so I'm back to grab more loot from him this weekend.

I enjoy the Crucible quite a bit and I like doing bounties. I started a second character, a warlock, but haven't gotten very far with him.

I've one Vault of Glass once and trying to put together another raid this weekend with some friends. PSN is StackboyRoyale if anyone is still enjoying it like I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom