• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren870

andddd just got called for the Fat Duck waiting list! Looks like I will be going after all!

Have to now reschedule my trip down the great ocean road since the missus and I were going to head down that weekend.

Shaneus

Just found out my girlfriend will be losing her job at the end of Feb :/

Anyone know of anything going in the fashion industry?

industrian said:
I'd be up for doing some farm work or something where I'm on my feet. Which is funny because I've got a software development degree and all and my last three jobs were marketing for IT companies. But I'd prefer to not be sitting behind a desk in a place like Australia.

Hah I got a game development diploma and I clean up animal shit for a living

Shaneus

Sadly not, she lives/currently works in Melbourne. And a friend of hers works for Target in Geelong, and does 15hr days. I think that whole industry is a bit fucked for the time being (if not permanently).

Still has a month to go, and thankfully it wasn't right before Christmas. And on the bright side, her manager was an absolute cunt to her and everyone else she managed, so there's a pretty massive silver lining to go with this cloud :)

Just found out my girlfriend will be losing her job at the end of Feb :/

Anyone know of anything going in the fashion industry?
I take modeling photos in my basement at night. Send me a PM with her deets. Pay is low, but I'm pretty hands on and work hard to get results.

I lost my job last year so I know what it feels like. I hope she gets a job quickly, dude :(

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Aldi is a supermarket that has good quality, super low price foods. Kmart can furnish most of your house and yourself for super cheap too.

$500 a week should be fine solo, depends a LOT on how much your rent/board is though. That and utilities are painful, food is cheap.

They have Aldi in Australia too? Always good to know.

I'll be travelling with my fiancée. $500 a week sounds expensive when I convert it to GBP, but I assume that potential wages in Australia will match up with this expected output. That and I've seen some farm jobs that offer accommodation.

Hah I got a game development diploma and I clean up animal shit for a living

You got a job working for Brendan McNamara?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag

I'll be travelling with my fiancée. $500 a month sounds expensive when I convert it to GBP, but I assume that potential wages in Australia will match up with this expected output. That and I've seen some farm jobs that offer accommodation.

$500 a week :)

cheapest you'll find a half decent place is about 250 - 300 a week in most big cities.

Dead Man

I'll soon be with you guys. I got a working holiday visa and will be arriving in about two weeks.

Questions:

1) Is is possible to get an affordable sim-card-only deal with unlimited or 10GB+ internet usage?
2) What is the Australian equivalent of Tesco/Wallmart/Carrefour/where can I buy cheap stuff/etc?
3) Is anyone wanting to hire me to do some working holiday shit?

Re:1. I have an Amaysim pre paid sim, $45 month for unlimited national calls and texts and 5gb of internet. Not too sure on internet only sims, that Virgin one posted seems a pretty good deal for our market :(

Darren870

I'll be travelling with my fiancée. $500 a month sounds expensive when I convert it to GBP, but I assume that potential wages in Australia will match up with this expected output. That and I've seen some farm jobs that offer accommodation.

You mean $500 week....

It's rent that is going to kill you. The more free rent the better.

industrian

$500 a week :)

cheapest you'll find a half decent place is about 250 - 300 a week in most big cities.

You mean $500 week....

It's rent that is going to kill you. The more free rent the better.

That week/month typo is funny considering I edit/proofread documents for a living. But it's like 7am here and I just woke up. :p

I've told my partner than we should go 50/50 on rent, so as long as we both find work the load should be relatively lighter.

Darren870

That week/month typo is funny considering I edit/proofread documents for a living. But it's like 7am here and I just woke up. :p

I've told my partner than we should go 50/50 on rent, so as long as we both find work the load should be relatively lighter.

I think it depends on what you are trying to do here. I've lived here for about a year and didn't pay rent or any other bills. The only reason I stopped was because my missus and I bought a house.

Anyone in the market for a decent PS3/4 arcade stick?

I have one of these brand new http://www.play-asia.com/hori-real-arcade-pro-v4-hayabusa-paOS-13-49-en-70-7nn7.html I'm looking to offload for a good price for ausgaf if not to ebay it will go!

kTIF1cK.jpg

Darren870

exsqueeze me?

My missus and I house sat.

We had been traveling for 6 months and were moving to Melbourne. We didn't have a place to live or jobs so we found someone looking for house sitters. Originally we were going to stop once we had jobs. But we kept going and house sitting all over Melbourne.

We finally decided to stop once we were ready to buy a place and finally unpack after being on the road since Nov 2013 (When we left London). We could have kept going till June as we had requests to come back or from other people.

We're probably going to do it again once we settle down a bit more and use it as a way to see more of Australia. Then again we both work full time... So maybe in a few years.

Titanfall on X1 is $24 at Target, pretty sure it's like $10 digitally from the US XBL store too, no wonder it sold so many copies.

My missus and I house sat.

We had been traveling for 6 months and were moving to Melbourne. We didn't have a place to live or jobs so we found someone looking for house sitters. Originally we were going to stop once we had jobs. But we kept going and house sitting all over Melbourne.

We finally decided to stop once we were ready to buy a place and finally unpack after being on the road since Nov 2013 (When we left London). We could have kept going till June as we had requests to come back or from other people.

We're probably going to do it again once we settle down a bit more and use it as a way to see more of Australia. Then again we both work full time... So maybe in a few years.

That's fucking awesome.

I'll soon be with you guys. I got a working holiday visa and will be arriving in about two weeks.

Questions:

1) Is is possible to get an affordable sim-card-only deal with unlimited or 10GB+ internet usage?
2) What is the Australian equivalent of Tesco/Wallmart/Carrefour/where can I buy cheap stuff/etc?
3) Is anyone wanting to hire me to do some working holiday shit?

Welcome.

1) Unlimited calls + 5GB data (3G) for $19/month

2) Cheap stuff like what? We don't have bargain supermarkets like walmart or tesco. Look out for deals on things you need to buy and wait for discounts or offers. Aldi is good for groceries, K-mart for household stuff. OZbargain for deals.

3) PM sent. Don't expect much.

Darren870

That's fucking awesome.

Yea, but so was finally being able to unpack.

Honestly, it was probably one of the greatest years of my life. We got to save so much and see a lot of Melbourne, more then most people that live here. We were in 8 different places in total and 2 of them being repeats. Stayed in 1 Bedroom Apartments to huge houses with pools and plenty of land.

Best animal we got to watch was the Rottweiler.
Strangest were the 3 alpacas.

We found jobs in May, and finally stopped this month. The only downfalls were that we had to be home every night so we could watch the animals. Of course that wasn't that big of a deal, but we've wanted to go to Tas, Sydney, and Darwin but haven't had a chance. Plus having to pack up ever few weeks also sucked. We only did long ones though that were about 4+ weeks. Longest was 11 weeks. I've seen some advertised for over 6 months on places like Philip Island. Sure it was for the winter, but it be great to be somewhere remote and be able to explore.

I think the other only problem was that we weren't really planning on doing this for so long, so we had a lot of our stuff in tow with us. That and also we were commuting into Melbourne everyday for work. It made it a bit hard when we were in like the Yarra Valley. However, being able to go to the breweries and wineries on the weekend made it so worth it.

N0VAM0D

Yea, but so was finally being able to unpack.

Honestly, it was probably one of the greatest years of my life. We got to save so much and see a lot of Melbourne, more then most people that live here. We were in 8 different places in total and 2 of them being repeats. Stayed in 1 Bedroom Apartments to huge houses with pools and plenty of land.

Best animal we got to watch was the Rottweiler.
Strangest were the 3 alpacas.

We found jobs in May, and finally stopped this month. The only downfalls were that we had to be home every night so we could watch the animals. Of course that wasn't that big of a deal, but we've wanted to go to Tas, Sydney, and Darwin but haven't had a chance. Plus having to pack up ever few weeks also sucked. We only did long ones though that were about 4+ weeks. Longest was 11 weeks. I've seen some advertised for over 6 months on places like Philip Island. Sure it was for the winter, but it be great to be somewhere remote and be able to explore.

I think the other only problem was that we weren't really planning on doing this for so long, so we had a lot of our stuff in tow with us. That and also we were commuting into Melbourne everyday for work. It made it a bit hard when we were in like the Yarra Valley. However, being able to go to the breweries and wineries on the weekend made it so worth it.

Darren, how did you go about the house sitting? I'm a bit curious, sounds like a great way to do a cheap holiday! I've been wanting to see Melbourne for quite a while now and that might be a nice way to spend some time there.

Ooh, I hope you enjoy your time in Australia! Where do you plan on living, if I may ask?

Also, if you edit/proofread documents for a living, it might be a good idea to check out some jobs on Seek/Gumtree/whatever for just that. You'd be surprised how many people need that kind of thing!

Darren870

Darren, how did you go about the house sitting? I'm a bit curious, sounds like a great way to do a cheap holiday! I've been wanting to see Melbourne for quite a while now and that might be a nice way to spend some time there.

http://www.aussiehousesitters.com.au/

I think its like $60 to join for the year, country wide. So you can go anywhere really. I had set up daily alerts and would usually respond to an advert within an hour of it going up. Other people found us through our profile. We had bought a car and drove down from Brisbane. Though we had already arranged the first two before we got down from Brisbane. The rest just kinda fell into place.

99.9% include watching an animal. Obviously a cat is easier then a dog, but if you get some country side ones Its great to take the dogs on hikes and such.

We would AirBNB between house sits if we had a break between two. But actually only needed to do this twice as somehow they all magically worked back to back. We are actually about to put our spare room on AirBNB as well.

N0VAM0D

I think its like $60 to join for the year, country wide. So you can go anywhere really. I had set up daily alerts and would usually respond to an advert within an hour of it going up. Other people found us through our profile. We had bought a car and drove down from Brisbane. Though we had already arranged the first two before we got down from Brisbane. The rest just kinda fell into place.

99.9% include watching an animal. Obviously a cat is easier then a dog, but if you get some country side ones Its great to take the dogs on hikes and such.

We would AirBNB between house sits if we had a break between two. But actually only needed to do this twice as somehow they all magically worked back to back. We are actually about to put our spare room on AirBNB as well.

That's fantastic! Thanks heaps for the info. Hope I can head to Melbourne sometime next year.

industrian

2) Cheap stuff like what? We don't have bargain supermarkets like walmart or tesco. Look out for deals on things you need to buy and wait for discounts or offers. Aldi is good for groceries, K-mart for household stuff. OZbargain for deals.

Generally just food. I don't see myself buying any clothes in Australia because one of my aims is to lose a lot of weight. That and I'd never buy games or hardware in Australia considering that Taiwan is my second home and everything is significantly cheaper there.

3) PM sent. Don't expect much.

Replied. Thanks for the offer. :)

Ooh, I hope you enjoy your time in Australia! Where do you plan on living, if I may ask?

Also, if you edit/proofread documents for a living, it might be a good idea to check out some jobs on Seek/Gumtree/whatever for just that. You'd be surprised how many people need that kind of thing!

We'll arrive in Gold Coast and will probably be in Brisbane for the first month or so.

I've been checking Gumtree for jobs already. I'd prefer not to do any freelance writing/editing because it's boring as hell. But money is money. :)

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Fun fact, apparently you're not covered for 2 hours now on public transport in melbourne?

I took the train, touched on then off, it put my myki card into the negative. Then I caught a tram, didn't touch on (sneaky little Indian lady wwas in disguise sitting down like a passenger!)

Then she scanned my ticket looked at it for a good 30 seconds then let me know I need to top it up, I mentioned that I'd just got off the train and assumed I was covered under the 2 hour trip window, she just said you still need to top it off or its an offense.

Then handed me my card and got off the tram.

Silly inspector.

Shaneus

Anyone in the market for a decent PS3/4 arcade stick?

I have one of these brand new http://www.play-asia.com/hori-real-arcade-pro-v4-hayabusa-paOS-13-49-en-70-7nn7.html I'm looking to offload for a good price for ausgaf if not to ebay it will go!

kTIF1cK.jpg
How much are they worth? I'd kill for a solid arcade stick. I'd assume it works for PC as well?
Edit: I notice after a quick Google that they sit around the $300 mark. I don't think I could justify spending any more than $150 for any kind of arcade stick, let alone one as rad as that. So unless you're willing to be short-changed (or you picked it up for that much) I might pass :(

Rubixcuba

Banned
Big W Newcastle was successful! They had two of each Wave 3. I picked up Shiek and Shulk, the other three guys picked up rest. No one likes King Dedede haha. Was going to get Toon Link but his sword was bent :(

Whoa this is awesome. I'll remember it as I'm sure it would suit a number of friends.

Stackboy

I want to go home and play video games all day.

Me and my wife did up a budget last night. A real tightening of the belt, but if we keep to it we will reach our goal by June. We've agreed that when that's met we will buy a WiiU.

Spotify coming to PSN is great news. Will be nice to have my music running in the background.

Amiiboooooo day! Please have some in stock Big W.

My Target had more stock than usual, got

• Toon Link
  • Sonic
  • Mega Man
  • Bowser
  • King Dedede
  • Rosalina/Luma
  • Shulk

Shulk looks awesome, Ike and Sheik looked pretty meh so I left them. The 2 Meta Knights they had were pretty rough so I didn't grab em either.

Shulk, Dedede & Link look awesome. Will use them as rewards for the kid for doing well at swimming I think.

Rubixcuba

Banned
Shulk looks awesome, Ike and Sheik looked pretty meh so I left them. The 2 Meta Knights they had were pretty rough so I didn't grab em either.

Shulk, Dedede & Link look awesome. Will use them as rewards for the kid for doing well at swimming I think.

Shulk was indeed impressive looking. Agree with Shiek, paint is a bit pale for my liking.

I was first at my Big W, the guy I gave Ike too was over the moon. I thought of grabbing him but not too fussed on the Fire Emblem guys. Best looking amiibo in terms of quality was probably Bowser and Dedede.

Shulk was indeed impressive looking. Agree with Shiek, paint is a bit pale for my liking.

I was first at my Big W, the guy I gave Ike too was over the moon. I thought of grabbing him but not too fussed on the Fire Emblem guys. Best looking amiibo in terms of quality was probably Bowser and Dedede.

Yeah I'm really impressed with those 2. Dedede in particular stands out really well, I already know my son will love playing with him :)

Rubixcuba

Banned
Saw this on Facebook

That's pretty lame :/

The people at my Big W were incredibly civil. We all asked who wanted which amiibo the most and allowed that person to get their favourite. The most we all got was two each to ensure everyone a fair share.

Quasar

Spotify coming to PSN is great news. Will be nice to have my music running in the background.

Personally I see it as pretty shit news. But then alot of what I listen to isn't on Spotify or other streaming services (so Google Music is great as I can add that music to the stream).

And I can't help but see it as a lost opportunity for Sony. They are sitting on labels and music that no-one else has. They could have used that exclusive content to help prop up MU.

Then again Sony as a whole is bleeding money, so I guess its understandable. Makes me wonder when they also kill their video store.

Amiibo are cool looking Nintendo figurines that are cheap ($17 and under) that do fuck all in game tbh. Varies game to game.

That's pretty lame :/

The people at my Big W were incredibly civil. We all asked who wanted which amiibo the most and allowed that person to get their favourite. The most we all got was two each to ensure everyone a fair share.

That's good to hear! Some fucking empathy and semblance of respect is great to see.

Generally just food. I don't see myself buying any clothes in Australia because one of my aims is to lose a lot of weight. That and I'd never buy games or hardware in Australia considering that Taiwan is my second home and everything is significantly cheaper there.

Replied. Thanks for the offer. :)

No worries. Aldi is best for groceries, though you won't get everything there. Supermarket specials get posted on OZbargain all the time, so keep a look out. Also, food discounts and vouchers.

Woah, is there a catch with this? I've been wanting to get my wife off her TPG plan as it doesn't have anywhere near enough data.

Doesn't seem to be. I have had a backup lyca connection for a couple of years, they use telstra network so connectivity is good. I mostly use them for overseas calls though, 29c flagfall and 0c/min calls :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom