• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Shift

Banned
Ahh okay. I'll hunt for the pro then and be on ozbargin looking for deals.

Cheers for that.

I have 2x Surface Pro 1's and 1x Surface Pro 2 for sale at the moment. All have accessories.

We have upgraded our Surfaces to SP3's so are selling off these packages.

Surface Pro 2

1x Surface Pro 2 i5 4GB Ram 128GB SSD
1x Type Cover - Charcoal
1x Microsoft Wedge Mouse Surface Edition Bluetooth
1x Surface Pro Pen
1x Surface Ethernet Adapter Cable
1x 48w Power Supply
1x 48W Power Supply – International with Australian Adapter
1x Targus Tablet Carry Bag

Surface Pro 1

1x Surface Pro i5 4GB Ram 128GB SSD
1x Type Cover - Charcoal
1x Surface Pro Pen
1x 48W Power Supply – International with Australian Adapter

Surface Pro 1

1x Touch Cover - Cyan
1x Touch Cover - Charcoal
1x Microsoft Wedge Mouse Bluetooth
1x Surface Pro Pen
1x 48w Power Supply
1x Sonic Tablet Protective Carry Pouch

Will do a good price for a fellow Gaffer.

I am in Brisbane btw.

PM me if interested.

How did that work? I only got it on sale for $89 in-store.

There was a coupon code for $15 yesterday, you could click and collect.

Bought! So fucking early this time >_<

Enjoy the interest on my purchase!

Just went to nintendo hq in melbz. It was a magical place with a nintendo flag and a giant charmander teddy that was like 2+m tall
How much was the Charmander? I was devo when EB didn't have any of the $12 ones left to buy the other day :(

markot

Banned
Australian comedy is dead. Let's be honest.

Anyway... I don't think I can play Nintendo games online with random people. I always assume they're kids and I feel bad beating them, so I play half heartedly....

Also in general I don't think I like winning too much in games, unless I'm playing someone who is super competitive.

It's weird...

I think that's why I prefer single player games.

Speaking of watches I saw Sony's eink watch that's supposed to come out next year. Depending on the price I'd get one

d01da31ab2.jpg

All the same one watch.

Quasar

I need to vent/leap for joy somewhere so here it is.

So I've been doing a Software Development Diploma with TAFE (specifially Padstow) externally as with the TAFE changes no TAFE in the Newcastle area even offers that course anymore.

This has been an exercise in frustration. I don't know if its purely learning coding outside the normally class environment so I've out there on my own with little backup, or its purely down to the conditions teachers have been under so that their electronic communications with me (and the other external student) were spotty at best. But I did at some point almost throw up my hands and give up due to one one project taking way longer than another which meant I had no hope of getting the second one done in time and the the documentation part of the second project had so little to go on I was pretty lost in terms of how to write the documentation.

Really if it wasn't for the constant stream of emails between me and the other external student I would have went insane I think.

Anyway, official results came through yesterday and today, and I did pass with mostly Distinctions for the graded units. So I am relieved and happy. Maybe now I can play some actual games.

Though in terms of trying to creating some employment in some coding related role I'm not sure where to go from here. Certainly learning enough to do a couple of small projects isn't really enough for me to feel confident to go after coding jobs. Thats the thing really with these kinds of courses. Yeah. I passed and showed that I can code to some degree but if anything showed me how little I know and did not give me any confidence I'd need to survive an interview for even a junior development role.

Its like...yeah. I can kind of walk now, but thats about it.

Quasar

So I ran across this:

http://mumbrella.com.au/nine-fairfaxs-stan-signs-content-deal-bbc-worldwide-265914

Announcement of another content deal with the streaming service Stan (this with the BBC which seems to include some exclusivity).

Really shows how split up the streaming landscape in Australia is/will be. And really Stan is looking to be THE local service assuming the stream quality is decent. And it does make me wonder just what content Netflix will even have locally, beyond its own stuff that it hasn't already licensed out to others. Seems like their move is way too late.

Not that competition is bad.

So I ran across this:

http://mumbrella.com.au/nine-fairfaxs-stan-signs-content-deal-bbc-worldwide-265914

Announcement of another content deal with the streaming service Stan (this with the BBC which seems to include some exclusivity).

Really shows how split up the streaming landscape in Australia is/will be. And really Stan is looking to be THE local service assuming the stream quality is decent. And it does make me wonder just what content Netflix will even have locally, beyond its own stuff that it hasn't already licensed out to others. Seems like their move is way too late.

The sooner everyone starts using VPNs the better.

Gazunta

I have 2x Surface Pro 1's and 1x Surface Pro 2 for sale at the moment. All have accessories.

We have upgraded our Surfaces to SP3's so are selling off these packages.

Surface Pro 2

1x Surface Pro 2 i5 4GB Ram 128GB SSD
1x Type Cover - Charcoal
1x Surface Pro Pen
1x Surface Ethernet Adapter Cable
1x 48w Power Supply
1x 48W Power Supply &#8211; International with Australian Adapter
1x Targus Tablet Carry Bag

Surface Pro 1

1x Type Cover - Charcoal
1x Surface Pro Pen
1x 48W Power Supply &#8211; International with Australian Adapter

Surface Pro 1

1x Touch Cover - Cyan
1x Touch Cover - Charcoal
1x Microsoft Wedge Mouse Bluetooth
1x Surface Pro Pen
1x 48w Power Supply
1x Sonic Tablet Protective Carry Pouch

Will do a good price for a fellow Gaffer.

I am in Brisbane btw.

PM me if interested.

Just wanna say to anyone sitting on the fence about getting that SP2 The Shift is selling, DUDE. I have that model SP2 and it's the best thing I've bought in 20 years, seriously. Snap it up.

Also, CONGRATS QUASAR! That's fucking awesome!!

So I ran across this:

to be fair, that's like that everywhere. in the US, Netflix and Amazon streaming both have exclusive content. But the vast majority of material is common to both services. If you want House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, etc, you want netflix, if you want Amazon's shitty internal stuff or older HBO stuff or slightly more BBC shows, you watch Amazon. And HBO had almost every show HBO has done and a way better selection of movies, particularly those from Warner Bros (which generally aren't the same as what's on on Netflix or Amazon.

Though in terms of trying to creating some employment in some coding related role I'm not sure where to go from here. Certainly learning enough to do a couple of small projects isn't really enough for me to feel confident to go after coding jobs. Thats the thing really with these kinds of courses. Yeah. I passed and showed that I can code to some degree but if anything showed me how little I know and did not give me any confidence I'd need to survive an interview for even a junior development role.

I completed honours in computing and I still wasn't confident in a coding job. And although I'm now in a web job where I do some "real" coding from time to time and feel like a buffoon half the time but you get through.

My buddies who went into more hardcore programming positions basically said that they learned a lot of what they needed on the job and that this is normal and expected. A good comp education doesn't teach you the exact skills you need to do a job, it teaches you the basic principles of programming, how to solve problems conceptually and how to pick up new skills / languages as needed.

If you looked at basic loops and didn't understand how it worked that would be distressing, but the general feeling of being overwhelmed and uncertain is normal.

So I've been doing a Software Development Diploma with TAFE (specifially Padstow) externally as with the TAFE changes no TAFE in the Newcastle area even offers that course anymore.

This has been an exercise in frustration. I don't know if its purely learning coding outside the normally class environment so I've out there on my own with little backup, or its purely down to the conditions teachers have been under so that their electronic communications with me (and the other external student) were spotty at best. But I did at some point almost throw up my hands and give up due to one one project taking way longer than another which meant I had no hope of getting the second one done in time and the the documentation part of the second project had so little to go on I was pretty lost in terms of how to write the documentation.

Really if it wasn't for the constant stream of emails between me and the other external student I would have went insane I think.

Anyway, official results came through yesterday and today, and I did pass with mostly Distinctions for the graded units. So I am relieved and happy. Maybe now I can play some actual games.

You should apply to Halfbrick. They value "enthusiasm" over experience.

Quasar

I completed honours in computing and I still wasn't confident in a coding job. And although I'm now in a web job where I do some "real" coding from time to time and feel like a buffoon half the time but you get through.

Right.

My buddies who went into more hardcore programming positions basically said that they learned a lot of what they needed on the job and that this is normal and expected. A good comp education doesn't teach you the exact skills you need to do a job, it teaches you the basic principles of programming, how to solve problems conceptually and how to pick up new skills / languages as needed.

True. I guess the one thing I did learn was that it wasn't so hard to pick up additional languages. But I guess thats probably more the similarities between the languages (Java, vb.net, c#) as much as anything.

Quasar

to be fair, that's like that everywhere. in the US, Netflix and Amazon streaming both have exclusive content. But the vast majority of material is common to both services. If you want House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, etc, you want netflix, if you want Amazon's shitty internal stuff or older HBO stuff or slightly more BBC shows, you watch Amazon. And HBO had almost every show HBO has done and a way better selection of movies, particularly those from Warner Bros (which generally aren't the same as what's on on Netflix or Amazon.

True enough I guess. And I guess we'll be seeing networks like HBO having their own services rather than rolling stuff into Netflix, etc.

Hopefully Stan actually turns out decent in terms of stream quality and price. Thats the thing that could ruin it. Like the Presto service that only streams in SD.

Quasar

In celebration, I've started playing Game of Thrones. Leaving aside the engine not doing people look alikes well at all I've been enjoying it.

Its more ingrained in the main story more than I ever expected. Having lots of show cast voicing stuff definitely helps.

Fucking Boltons.

Darren870

Just wanna say to anyone sitting on the fence about getting that SP2 The Shift is selling, DUDE. I have that model SP2 and it's the best thing I've bought in 20 years, seriously. Snap it up.

Also, CONGRATS QUASAR! That's fucking awesome!!

Yea, I sent him a PM.

Kritz

Banned
Yeah I bought my pax 3 day pass already. It's a bit early, but I figure it's good incentive to remember to book the hotel and travel earlier this time.

Gazunta

Any of you guys tried using a Surface Pro (1, 2, 3) on a lap, y'know, like an actual laptop? If it were usable in that manner, I'd consider one for the wife.

Any of you guys tried using a Surface Pro (1, 2, 3) on a lap, y'know, like an actual laptop? If it were usable in that manner, I'd consider one for the wife.

It's a little awkward but doable, yeah. I usually just use it in tablet mode if I'm chilling on my lap unless I need to take notes at a meeting and there's no table or something.

Fredescu

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga which has basically the same hardware as a Surface Pro 3, but with a proper keyboard. I never use it in tablet mode, it's way too bulky for that, but the modes that let you fold the keyboard out of the way are pretty handy.

It's a little awkward but doable, yeah. I usually just use it in tablet mode if I'm chilling on my lap unless I need to take notes at a meeting and there's no table or something.
I have a Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga which has basically the same hardware as a Surface Pro 3, but with a proper keyboard. I never use it in tablet mode, it's way too bulky for that, but the modes that let you fold the keyboard out of the way are pretty handy.
Hmm, I'm still a bit skeptical that it'd be any good. Really need to try one I think. We've checked out the Asus Transformer and we both think the keyboard part is stable enough with that model that you could cope with it on a lap, while doing a lot of typing, but the Surface Pro keyboards are way too flimsy.

Thanks guys.

Fredescu

The Thinkpad Yoga is basically a laptop in that respect. If you want to regularly use it as a tablet I probably wouldn't recommended, unless you try it yourself and think it's ok. But for a light laptop that lets you fold the keyboard out of the way when the mood takes you, it's great.

Hmm, I'm still a bit skeptical that it'd be any good. Really need to try one I think. We've checked out the Asus Transformer and we both think the keyboard part is stable enough with that model that you could cope with it on a lap, while doing a lot of typing, but the Surface Pro keyboards are way too flimsy.

Thanks guys.

If your wife has long enough legs, you can actually not use a stand, lay the whole thing down flat and write on it with no worries.

I don't recommend it for everyone though, lol

Gazunta

Are you guys fucking seriously telling me nobody's posted anything for two hours?

Jesus Christ guys get your shit together.

Let's talk about Christmas, what games do you want under your tree that you want to play but can't be arsed buying yourself?

I want Mario & Luigi Dream Team to play while I'm stuck at relatives houses.

Are you guys fucking seriously telling me nobody's posted anything for two hours?

Let's talk about Christmas, what games do you want under your tree that you want to play but can't be arsed buying yourself?

Right now? Far Cry 4! Also that's a heck of a pick Gaz.

I got that with my US 3DS Xl. It's fucking terrible.

I watched Frozen for the first time today. I loved it. So much better than Brave. Why the fuck didn't I buy this last november instead of Brave?

PSA- when you buy a 3D version of a bluray, check to see whether there's also a 2D version. I assumed they always did this, but they don't.

Ab, Eb, Fm, Db

N0VAM0D

Anyone else seen housos vs fat pizza?

I've not watched housos just fat pizza, but it was highly enjoyable.

I've never liked Housos, but Fat Pizza is great, might have to check this out. I'm a little scared, though.

Congratulations, man! Doing a course online/distance education is really difficult and frustrating -- I know from first hand experience! I did a year of Japanese language by distance education, after 6 years of studying it at the actual school (for Year 12 I was the only student who wanted to keep studying it, so they didn't run the course), and it was awful. Communication was quite bad, and just generally keeping track of things was just too much. Plus, I didn't have anybody to practice speaking with at all (except the CD player)! I would never recommend it to anyone, honestly, so I'm glad you pulled through and ended up doing well!

also if you're from Newcastle that's cool because me too

Is sydney worth going to? does it have decent hotels?

Yes! Sydney is great, for the most part. And yes, but, they're generally quite expensive.

Dimefan3

First time I fucking hated it, second and successive times I enjoyed it WAY more.

Protip: don't drive in Sydney.

Torn: Extra public holiday next year, yay! It's for the fucking AFL Grand Final, boo.

I drive around Sydney quite a bit, admittedly mostly on the weekend, but I find it's usually not as bad as people make it out to be. There are times when it's pretty bad, but I guess I'm more patient than others. (And in your car, no one can hear you swearing.)

I drove down to mosman a few weekends ago, quite a nice area. There's a place called The Burger Shed on Military Road that's pretty awesome.

Quasar

I've never liked Housos, but Fat Pizza is great, might have to check this out. I'm a little scared, though.

Congratulations, man! Doing a course online/distance education is really difficult and frustrating -- I know from first hand experience! I did a year of Japanese language by distance education, after 6 years of studying it at the actual school (for Year 12 I was the only student who wanted to keep studying it, so they didn't run the course), and it was awful. Communication was quite bad, and just generally keeping track of things was just too much. Plus, I didn't have anybody to practice speaking with at all (except the CD player)! I would never recommend it to anyone, honestly, so I'm glad you pulled through and ended up doing well!

also if you're from Newcastle that's cool because me too

Oh god. learning a language would be a nightmare that way. I could see it working a bit better with video chat software. Then again there are all these apps that people use to learn languages.

Fredescu

I drive around Sydney quite a bit, admittedly mostly on the weekend, but I find it's usually not as bad as people make it out to be. There are times when it's pretty bad, but I guess I'm more patient than others. (And in your car, no one can hear you swearing.)

Driving "around" Sydney is ok. Driving in the CBD as a newcomer... probably just forget about it unless you really need to. The CBD road layout is a dogs breakfast compared to other capital cities. Also Northern Beaches, while nowhere near as confusing, the traffic is always so shit. There are some awesome drives around Sydney though. Drive to Wollongong via Lawrence Hargrave drive, or Blue Mountains via Bells Line of Road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom