• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

legend166

I don't hate the carbon tax enough to go to a rally, but I think it's a stupid idea.

It's not going to have any practical effect on the environment. On top of the fact that we're simply too small to have any real impact on carbon reduction on a worldwide scale, they're going to give exclusions to the big polluters anyway.

Now if the government came out and said "we'll put all carbon tax revenue into nuclear power schemes" I'd be all for it, because that's actually a feasible solution to lowering carbon emissions.

Salazar

Fredescu said:
http://www.nocarbontaxrally.com/cata.html

I guess we'll find out if that's really false in a couple of weeks. I was kinda surprised to find out some generally laid back people I know are going.

Australians from all parts of the country will gather on the lawns in front of Parliament House in Canberra, Wednesday March 23rd to send a message to the Gillard Labor Government that the people of Australia

In the sense that they were born in different states, I suppose. I would not expect a pilgrimage to Canberra.

Aon

qVcdFl.jpg

Definitely the season's hottest pin up model.

Choc

Banned
If you want a big number of people you don't have it on a work day.....

because the working battlers who are pissed off at this ARE WORKING

tools

Choc said:
If you want a big number of people you don't have it on a work day.....

because the working battlers who are pissed off at this ARE WORKING

tools
I think they expect me to give up the $150 I would earn for the day as a trial run for what it would be like if the tax came in? Plus weekends are for getting drunk and mowing lawns (or church if you aren't into lawns), not rallying. :)

Bernbaum

I recall someone here was keen for an Arcade Fighting stick on the cheap.

The excellent EX2 from Hori, which I use to blow chunks more effectively in SSFIV, will be tomorrow's special. This includes the PS3 version.

Happy shopping.

Shaneus

Uuugh... for some reason, it feels like a perfect night to (finally) start playing ME1 (PC, comfy couch mode, no lights and surround sound). But no native 360 controller support FFS. AAARGH.

Choc

Banned
Shaneus did you say you are importing Catherine? if so you are in for quite a treat, i've clocked it and the game is very japanese, lets put it that way.

Shaneus

Nah, I just saw it mentioned but didn't have any clue what it was about. My gaming backlog is ludicrously big and there are bigger blips on my radar than some wacky Japanese thing.

Nemesis_

I don't understand why you'd play through a game that's very import unfriendly and play it through.

Unfortunately it seems Catherine has been confirmed region locked when it comes out in the US later this year. Hoping for a UK release.

Bernbaum said:
Killzone 3 is an Imperial blaster rifle.

Beyond Good and Evil is a Jedi light saber.

You know what I mean.

Mmm yes. But for some reason, with this replay, I am finding less and less motivation to finish it. I think DAO replay and Bulletstorm just rank higher right now.

Just did the Factory though.

hamchan

Nemesis556 said:
I don't understand why you'd play through a game that's very import unfriendly and play it through.

Unfortunately it seems Catherine has been confirmed region locked when it comes out in the US later this year. Hoping for a UK release.

*PS3 Owners start dancing*

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't heard anyone say "clocked it" in a long ass time. I like it, though.

Bernbaum

I recall a friend using the term 'Clocked it' back in the Sega Master System years - with specific reference to Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse. The game featured a clock enemy who made an iconic 8-bit 'blip' when killed.

From then on, whenever anyone talked about 'clocking' a game, I can't help but think of that very specific sound being associated during the final moment of finishing a game.

Clipper

You also made my Wii glow and when I woke up in the middle of the night, I noticed a strange blue tinge to the room, and had to get up and go into the neighbouring lounge room to switch off the Wii so I could get back to sleep.

It's always amazed me how bright the Wii's slot LED is, and I have the brightness setting set to low!

Additional: I also just went and bought the PS3 fighting stick from Big W, and I dislike most fighters... I'm crazy.

jambo

Thinking about selling my iPad 3G 32GB so I can get an iPad 2. Anyone looking to buy one for about $500?

EDIT: I still have the box, charging adapter, USB cable and manuals to go with it and it's in great nick.

Choc

Banned
Nemesis556 said:

Mmm yes. But for some reason, with this replay, I am finding less and less motivation to finish it. I think DAO replay and Bulletstorm just rank higher right now.

Just did the Factory though.

it won't be locked on ps3

my wife can translate japanese

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
No Squirrel, i didn't talk to the girl! People were sitting all around her and there were no spots left. She was reading a new book though, that girl seems to fucking love books.

Getting in there before you start hounding me :D

So splinter cell conviction seems like it's an ok game. I thought the execution stuff would be more awesome but having to enable it first via a hand to hand kill is a little off. Although it would have been OP as fuck if it was an always usable attack so it makes some sense.

Some of the scenarios have been frustrating. This seems to be a game where i will play it for 20 minutes, rage a bit and quit then come back 1 hour later and do the section without any issues.

For $24 at EB, It wasn't a bad pickup.

Crysis 2 MP is starting to fall flat, It really is just COD with what feels to be a mix of Killzone thrown in. I actually miss COD after playing it, Even though it's similar it doesn't have that silly thing that makes COD enjoyable to play from time to time, Whatever that is.

Safe to say Crysis 2 went from a day 1 pickup to wait for a cheap sale later on in the year pickup. Unless the SP seems to be blowing people away I will be late to this party.

I played games!

Omikron

Fredescu said:
http://www.nocarbontaxrally.com/cata.html

I guess we'll find out if that's really false in a couple of weeks. I was kinda surprised to find out some generally laid back people I know are going.

Heard about this 'rally' on Insiders on Sunday, report there were they are attempting to lump a whole bunch of issues together in order to gain more people attending (immigration issues, mining tax, carbon price, gay marriage etc). The amount of scare-mongering in the media these days makes me incandescent with rage. :p

It is like the bullshit you are hearing from both Labor and the Libs over the Greens bill to remove the right for a minister to override a decision made by the ACT or NT parliaments and purely allow this to be overridden by a vote by the parliament itself. Seems fair enough to me, the Howard govt removed that right when they were in power iirc.

But for some reason that has been reported as 'sneaky' or some crap because they think the ACT/NT parliaments might try and bring in and debate certain topics that the fed govt and parties appear to find unpalatable.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Aon said:
But you've already played a fair bit of the single player :p

I've played it through the eyes of other people playing it!

I miss what my current job was before another person joined the ranks. At the moment it's just boring, Very little happens and i'm not being used much at all. Sure it's nice to sit back and do fuck all but at the same time i've become less important in the grand scheme of things and that's a bummer.

I liked being the goto guy who was important, who did all the work and people thanked him for it. Selfish i guess, But it was a nice feeling even though it was busy.

I'm happy with the money i'm earning but i could go a bit more brain stimulation, I have zoo weekly magazines behind me but i don't think they will do the job.

Rahk said:
Ordered a Kindle yesterday. No more lugging around books, yay.

Congrats. I was skeptical when my gf ordered one early last year, but after mucking around with it a bit I ordered once myself late last year and have never looked back.

I still buy dead tree version of books that I really love (ASoIaF, Malazan, etc) because I want to have them sitting on my shelf and to hand down to my kids should I ever have some. But for sheer convenience the kindle is fantastic, I carry it with me pretty much everywhere and as a result I read a lot more than I used to.

Also, download calibre . It is a great little bit of e-book software, is constantly updated and has a lot of really good uses (and I'm not talking about dodgy stuff, although it does that too) For example if something is not available on the Amazon kindle store, and you purchase a version somewhere else and need to format it, calibre is the way to go.

Speaking of books, I finally finished The Way of Kings on the weekend and have now dived into the Wise Man's Fear. Great stuff :)

evlcookie said:
No Squirrel, i didn't talk to the girl! People were sitting all around her and there were no spots left. She was reading a new book though, that girl seems to fucking love books.

Getting in there before you start hounding me :D
It's alright. I'm not disappointed with you.

You'd better talk to her tomorrow or so help me, there'll be WORDS.

Choc

Banned
Omi said:
Heard about this 'rally' on Insiders on Sunday, report there were they are attempting to lump a whole bunch of issues together in order to gain more people attending (immigration issues, mining tax, carbon price, gay marriage etc). The amount of scare-mongering in the media these days makes me incandescent with rage. :p

It is like the bullshit you are hearing from both Labor and the Libs over the Greens bill to remove the right for a minister to override a decision made by the ACT or NT parliaments and purely allow this to be overridden by a vote by the parliament itself. Seems fair enough to me, the Howard govt removed that right when they were in power iirc.

But for some reason that has been reported as 'sneaky' or some crap because they think the ACT/NT parliaments might try and bring in and debate certain topics that the fed govt and parties appear to find unpalatable.

so.....

tehy are the FEDERAL Government

and yes i know the territories have special governments but even so for fuck sake

evlcookie said:
So splinter cell conviction seems like it's an ok game. I thought the execution stuff would be more awesome but having to enable it first via a hand to hand kill is a little off. Although it would have been OP as fuck if it was an always usable attack so it makes some sense.

Some of the scenarios have been frustrating. This seems to be a game where i will play it for 20 minutes, rage a bit and quit then come back 1 hour later and do the section without any issues.

For $24 at EB, It wasn't a bad pickup.
I have about the same feelings of it that you do. I really hated the older ones where as soon as you were spotted it was impossible to continue so had to reload. As a result, I never played more than five minutes of any Splinter Cell until Conviction. It's a good, but not great game. Sometimes you get to feel like a total badass but most of the time you feel like you're playing a video game and having to figure out the game rules in order to make things easier.

Omikron

Choc said:
so.....

tehy are the FEDERAL Government

and yes i know the territories have special governments but even so for fuck sake

I presume you are agreeing with me choc?

I don't believe 1 person should have power of another states democratically elected parliament, I mean their people put them there for a reason afterall. Even if you agree/disagree with their deicsions etc.

What shits me is that the debate over gay marriage in particular seems to have gone down to 'oh its such a minor issue, why are we bothering' path. As was mentioned by a Lib politician on the weekend. IF it IS that minor, what not fucking discuss it in parliament, have a vote on it, and then be done with it? Oh thats right, because you still believe in old world ideologies and are happy for certain groups to not have the same rights.

Typical fucking politicians.

Choc

Banned
Omi said:
I presume you are agreeing with me choc?

I don't believe 1 person should have power of another states democratically elected parliament, I mean their people put them there for a reason afterall. Even if you agree/disagree with their deicsions etc.

What shits me is that the debate over gay marriage in particular seems to have gone down to 'oh its such a minor issue, why are we bothering' path. As was mentioned by a Lib politician on the weekend. IF it IS that minor, what not fucking discuss it in parliament, have a vote on it, and then be done with it? Oh thats right, because you still believe in old world ideologies and are happy for certain groups to not have the same rights.

Typical fucking politicians.

I am indeed agreeing

they are also asking for a payrise. They can go fuck themselves.

While we are on the topic of politics, fuck Julia Gillard

Note to Gillard

1. You have ZERO mandate to do things

2. You were NOT voted in, we had a hung parliament and some people decided you are it. That is NOT being voted in.

So

stop saying you have a fucking mandate AND that you were voted in by Australians, because YOU WERE NOT.

Same with TA.

Omikron

Choc said:
Note to Gillard

1. You have ZERO mandate to do things

2. You were NOT voted in, we had a hung parliament and some people decided you are it. That is NOT being voted in.

So

stop saying you have a fucking mandate AND that you were voted in by Australians, because YOU WERE NOT.

Same with TA.

Meh, double edged sword choc, should she sit on her hands for 3 years and not do anything?

If she can put forward policy and get it voted through a hung parliament, then good luck to her. That is enough of a mandate for me. More so than a party that has complete dominance over the lower+upper houses.

Just sayin'

Choc

Banned
Omi said:
Meh, double edged sword choc, should she sit on her hands for 3 years and not do anything?

If she can put forward policy and get it voted through a hung parliament, then good luck to her. That is enough of a mandate for me. More so than a party that has complete dominance over the lower+upper houses.

Just sayin'

no of course she shouldnt' but to introduce something which changes our tax system and economy so much should require an election

Howard did it with the GST, and it was the right thing to do. Take it to the people.

Stackboy

Sorry Gaf, didn't check in over the weekend so I missed all the rental/buy house talk.

I've been renting for 10 years now and until recently it was in sharehouses. Friends of mine bought a house and converted downstairs into a Manny flat, if you will. All self contained, with kitchen and bathroom. The only thing that is shared is the front door.

It's a great situation, the rent is good and I can still save for the long term (not sure if I want to buy, or just invest).

Omikron

Choc said:
no of course she shouldnt' but to introduce something which changes our tax system and economy so much should require an election

Howard did it with the GST, and it was the right thing to do. Take it to the people.

Don't agree with you on the first point. Our economy is changing anyway with the uncertainty around any decision to do wtih climate change being put off. Will this add to cost of living? Most likely.

Over and above whatever was being added anyway? Who knows and I think unlikely. And those saying that it will increase everything by a significant amount are talking out their arsehole as no actual detail has been given yet. Including the amount of compensation to households due to cost of living rises.

People complain too often without offering up any alternatives. The Lib policy about 'direct action' or whatever term they placed on it, was clearly shit and would never have worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom