• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
codswallop said:
I really think housing in Australia is totally screwed. I don't want to have to move to Werribee or Pakenham just so I can afford to own the damned building. You're really renting the land from the council too, since they have final say-so on what you can and can't do.

It wouldn't surprise me if i ended up living in pakenham or there abouts unless the price of housing drops. That wouldn't bother me all too much since i take the pakenham train line to work anyway, I'm about 5 stops from pakenoftheham. Although my ex lives there so that can't be a good idea D:

The majority of my savings are in a savings account and making some decent interest, I look forward to tax time to see how much i owe the tax man, If any at all.

Ubank now has home loans from 6.99% variable rate which might be interesting. Going by their quick calculator it claims i can borrow 200k which of course really wouldn't buy you much. It did calculate my living expenses per month to be $1145, I call bullshit on that one!

Salazar

BananaArnie said:
awww yeah. whats up ausgaf.

Raining outside. Bought some warm (but probably not warm enough) clothes for my holiday. Played some Castlevania - it's ok. I just reached some dude in the forest who is telling me shit.

Axiom

I always liked Pakenham for being able to fall asleep on the train and end up at my stop every time.

I may be mugged in the meantime, but hey, a nap!

Clipper

OK guys, rass has forfeited his claim for my spare Kid Icarus on the Wii VC, so I'm releasing it again to AusGAF.

This can go to anyone with a PAL Wii set to the Australia. First to reply gets it.

We will need to exchange Wii codes as well, so mine is 0046 1341 3634 4230. Enter me into your Wii then PM or post your code and I can send the game.

Bernbaum

Clipper said:
OK guys, rass has forfeited his claim for my spare Kid Icarus on the Wii VC, so I'm releasing it again to AusGAF.

This can go to anyone with a PAL Wii set to the Australia. First to reply gets it.

We will need to exchange Wii codes as well, so mine is 0046 1341 3634 4230. Enter me into your Wii then PM or post your code and I can send the game.
me me me me me me

evlcookie said:
It wouldn't surprise me if i ended up living in pakenham or there abouts unless the price of housing drops.
I don't really have anything against Pakenham or Werribee, except their lack of transport options or accessibility to the city. What really irks me is that virtually no urban planning has been done in Melbourne so the only real affordable housing is over an hour's train trip from the CBD or by car. We really should have a lot higher density housing closer to the city than we do. It's starting to change but it should've been like this 15 years ago. All they do is keep pushing back the urban boundary because it's too hard to actually do real planning.

/rant

Choc

Banned
Just as an fyi in NSW laws changed recently and landlords are not allowed to block you doing reasonable things to rentals such as hanging pictures

Research it :)

I will post later why owning a house is big for me currently on phone

I am determined to find a pumpkin-based alternative to hot chips, but tonight's experiment doesn't seem like it will produce the result I wanted :\

Nevertheless I will persevere. Someday, my dream of chowing down with a bowl of crunchy, cumin/paprika/coriander/nutmeg-infused pumpkin chips will be a reality!

Choc

Banned
ok on a computer now

new NSW rental laws

http://www.rpemery.com.au/rental_agreement/new-tenancy-laws-NSW.html

'Under the new Act, landlords must not unreasonably refuse requests from a tenant to add a fixture or make a minor change to the property. For example, installing child safety locks on windows, connecting pay television to the property, or adding picture hooks in rooms which don’t have any. '

so the reason why i think property owning in Australia is big is stability. As people have said when renting people can kick you out. I am looking to have children soonish and i want to have a stable environment for my child. I want to know that the roof over their head is under my control. I want to know i can build a nursery and do it right.

As many have said, property ownership allows you to have your own space in the world. Customise it to the way you want, build your own garden and generally not worry about what the bloody landlord will think if you add a picture.

Landlords in general these days are way to fucking big for their boots and its good NSW is leading the way and telling them to fuck off with simple requests. The problem is we have a major rental shortage in Australia and so therefore they know they can easily get people so will treat tenants like dirt.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I am determined to find a pumpkin-based alternative to hot chips, but tonight's experiment doesn't seem like it will produce the result I wanted :\
Wagamama sells sweet potato chips. Not really the same (more like crisps), but could be a good place to start. I'd say pumpkin wouldn't work so well as it doesn't have the right sort of makeup, and is not starchy.

Maybe go for tempura pumpkin?

Choc said:
As many have said, property ownership allows you to have your own space in the world. Customise it to the way you want, build your own garden and generally not worry about what the bloody landlord will think if you add a picture.
Except instead you'd have to deal with a tenant association, or body corporate, or the council who will tell you to get lost instead. You can't bloody win nowadays.

codswallop said:
Wagamama sells sweet potato chips. Not really the same (more like crisps), but could be a good place to start. I'd say pumpkin wouldn't work so well as it doesn't have the right sort of makeup, and is not starchy.

Maybe go for tempura pumpkin?
Yeah, the sweet potato chips are nice, but I don't know what goes into their relish. I'm trying to bake them (butternut) since I know they won't fry well, but that isn't going as well as I hoped either.

I'm trying to bake them (butternut) since I know they won't fry well, but that isn't going as well as I hoped either.
Baking wouldn't make the exterior crispy with a fluffy inside, you really need a fryer for that. Tempura I think could be a good compromise.

Check out Kenji at Serious Eats' Burger Lab article on replicating McDonald's style fries, it might be of help: http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives...ake-perfect-mcdonalds-style-french-fries.html - Incidentally, if there are any burger fans in the audience, check out the site too. Some great tips there on making a perfect burger, such dedication!

codswallop said:
Baking wouldn't make the exterior crispy with a fluffy inside, you really need a fryer for that. Tempura I think could be a good compromise.

Check out Kenji at Serious Eats' Burger Lab article on replicating McDonald's style fries, it might be of help: http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives...ake-perfect-mcdonalds-style-french-fries.html - Incidentally, if there are any burger fans in the audience, check out the site too. Some great tips there on making a perfect burger, such dedication!
Does tempura have a sweet flavour to it? That's really what I'm looking for more than anything else.

rass

Roasted parsnip is a tasty alternative, if you julienne strip it and roast it then it would look a bit like hot chips…

thin sliced carrot (fried) is just as satisfying as hot chips but probably no healthier. Very different texture etc as well.

Gazunta

Ha, didn't realize I'd start a big grown up talk. Very cool. I love owning a house. Especially being able to do things like add a new kitchen and driveway. Later this year we're adding a custom built studio in the back yard for me to work out of, was never able to do that in my renting days.

Mowing sucks though.

Is Idle Thumbs any good? After Retronauts, the only thing I've gotten into has been Radio Free Nintendo. It's the only one that actually talks about games I'm interested in and where the signal-to-bro ratio has been high enough that I can stand to listen to it for any length of time.

Mar

Is Idle Thumbs any good? After Retronauts, the only thing I've gotten into has been Radio Free Nintendo. It's the only one that actually talks about games I'm interested in and where the signal-to-bro ratio has been high enough that I can stand to listen to it for any length of time.

Idle Thumbs is the best podcast, gaming or otherwise, there is. Download them all and enjoy. Unlike just about any other podcast, Idle Thumbs is just as enjoyable listening to the old ones or repeated hearings.

Bernbaum

Mar said:
Idle Thumbs is the best podcast, gaming or otherwise, there is. Download them all and enjoy. Unlike just about any other podcast, Idle Thumbs is just as enjoyable listening to the old ones or repeated hearings.
Yup.

It has a timeless quality, and is pure entertainment even if you don't gel with any of the games they're talking about. Podcasts from 2008 talking about 2008 games are great to listen to even today.

In fact, in they still talk about 2008 games in 2011.

Far

Cry

Try and find some GFW podcasts too, not sure where to find them these days but they were fantastic.

Also I like Gamers With Jobs podcast.

Mush

Bernbaum said:
Yup.
Far

Cry

I got it on PC as a gift from my brother this past Christmas and after 10 min I wanted disown him.

SOMEONE ANSWER MY FRAPS QUESTION OR I'LL DO THE SAME! :(

Mush said:
I got it on PC as a gift from my brother this past Christmas and after 10 min I wanted disown him.

SOMEONE ANSWER MY FRAPS QUESTION OR I'LL DO THE SAME! :(
Doesn't happen to me and I run FRAPS all the time. Turn off the FPS counter? Tried google?

Salazar

Mush said:

Aah, Mush. I loathed it too. If a game is going to give me an illness, I had better get some kind of weaponised mutation out of it.

Axiom

GFW and Idle Thumbs are the greatest of all time.

Ricki-Lee Coulter was showing cleavage to distract from the fact her audio was horrible out of sync. I wish everyone did that, at least when they have tits like that.

She did make me picture her half-naked and covered in glitter AND support a good cause, so no harm in keeping the sound on.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
markot said:
Hmm.

Think the deals will get any crazier before 3ds launch?

Apart from maybe Day 1 deals? No, everyone is about $11 off cost price.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I was a victim today. of sexism :(

I was standing on north terrace with my friend sam, waiting for a taxi, flagging them down. NONE pulled over, i thought ok maybe theyre going to the taxi rank

but then a guy and a girl flagged one down, and the taxi pulled over (like 15m from us) then it happened again, it happened like 10+ times, always with atleast one girl, normaly more.
we saw another group of 2 white guys trying to hail
no taxis pulled over for them
they had their fucking lights on pull the fuck over.

excuse the poor formatting, copy pasted from an msn convo.

FYI: Drinks were had, but not enough to make us seem trouble (4 - 5 beers over about 7 hours)

and we're nerdy looking guys, so we're not going to mug them :(

Shaneus

If you look nerdy, they probably don't see you as someone who could be ripped off, either by going a longer route or short-changing you. Just get aggressive with those fuckers (when hailing them).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Mar said:
you make me so happy

Aon

Shaneus said:
If you look nerdy, they probably don't see you as someone who could be ripped off, either by going a longer route or short-changing you. Just get aggressive with those fuckers (when hailing them).
I honestly think you're giving the reputation of nerds far too much credit.

A much simpler answer is that they've heard of Syth on the news or something and didn't want to talk about Starcraft that night.

Clipper

Choc said:
Vook how areyou charging your 3DS

just using an AU DSi charger or do you have stepdown as well
Another related question... I assumed the DSi cable plugs into the dock. Is that correct, or do you have to plug it in directly?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I've been charging it two ways, with my AU adapter and a USB DSi adapter. Both fit into the system and the dock.

I do have a step down, but I don't need it anymore :)

Salazar

Wordsmiths at UQ had better be back in its premises when I get back from holiday. This al fresco thing isn't cutting it.

George Brandis was an amazing dick on Insiders this morning. It truly is remarkable how the opposition are trying to drum up the falsehood that there is a nationwide sense of outrage about the carbon tax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom