• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritz

Banned
Megadrive said:
Kritz your avatar is horrid.

haters.png

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
iPrimus now have a 1.111TB plan

Plan is available on all Primus and Optus DSLAMS.
Uploads and Downloads Counted.
1,111GB of usage (511 peak, 600 off-peak)
Peak is 10am to 2am
Price is $99.95 bundled or unbundled.
Naked Version is $119.95.

It's getting a bit silly now and this is before the NBN is actually out. Australian internet with 2TB of quota on a 100mbit line in a few years? Probably believable.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Megadrive said:
I will await Internode's new ADSL1 plans before I jump ship to iiNet. Hopefully they're great.

They announced them last week. So i don't know if they will do a revision or not, but there's been some thread shutdowns regarding both isps on whirlpool as requested from mr internode himself.

Now we wait for everyone else to jump on board. I await the TPG 2TB quota :lol

Internode will obviously look at the new pricing from iiNet with interest, as it does with all industry pricing changes over time.

Are we immediately going to run screaming to the 'me too!' corner? Nope.

And with that, given that this conversation has moved entirely to ISP plan comparisons, I think we've proven that this thread has run its course, and its time to take this conversation to Choosing an ISP.

Jintor

Hi guys, I live in Sydney and I'm on Gaf, do I qualify for this thead? :B

PS I hate being capped. It always seems like we just get out of contract, I sign up for a new TPG plan and then they bring out another one for the same price that offers twice the cap. Yeesh.

D.Lo

evlcookie said:
They announced them last week. So i don't know if they will do a revision or not, but there's been some thread shutdowns regarding both isps on whirlpool as requested from mr internode himself.

Aright, I can go from 25 to 60gigs for the same price on internode! Their service has been good enough there's no way I'm changing. I've never gone 1.5 years without interruption to service before.

rass

Jintor said:
Hi guys, I live in Sydney and I'm on Gaf, do I qualify for this thead? :B

PS I hate being capped. It always seems like we just get out of contract, I sign up for a new TPG plan and then they bring out another one for the same price that offers twice the cap. Yeesh.
I'm pretty sure you can switch to the newer plans at no cost so long as they aren't any cheaper - I know my boss switched to a plan with better quota only a couple of months into contract. I did the same thing, but I had been out of contract for 6 months already when it happened.

Can anyone tell me how that ubisoft $1 game thing panned out? I assume it was an attack but it had me intrigued - my Apple branded smartphone is not the ideal tool for browsing gaf haha :(

hirokazu

rass said:
I'm pretty sure you can switch to the newer plans at no cost so long as they aren't any cheaper - I know my boss switched to a plan with better quota only a couple of months into contract. I did the same thing, but I had been out of contract for 6 months already when it happened.

Can anyone tell me how that ubisoft $1 game thing panned out? I assume it was an attack but it had me intrigued - my Apple branded smartphone is not the ideal tool for browsing gaf haha :(
Sounds like you haven't yet discovered http://www.secondapps.com/neogaf

evlcookie said:

The new ADSL1 plans for me are crapola. My current speed is 1500/256 and if I pay the same price, I get to have 5 less GB to use AND have my uploads counted! Hooray! I hope they do a re-revision so I don't have to change to iiNet. I'll give it a month or two for them to announce new plans before I change.

hirokazu

I hate how the cheapest ISP plans are so disgustingly terrible. But I guess the ISPs have to do that to keep people signed up to dearer plans and keep the price up.

The NBN plans a few pages back are pretty ass too, but I assume things will change as the rollout spreads through the mainland.

Mar

evlcookie said:
iPrimus now have a 1.111TB plan

Plan is available on all Primus and Optus DSLAMS.
Uploads and Downloads Counted.
1,111GB of usage (511 peak, 600 off-peak)
Peak is 10am to 2am
Price is $99.95 bundled or unbundled.
Naked Version is $119.95.

It's getting a bit silly now and this is before the NBN is actually out. Australian internet with 2TB of quota on a 100mbit line in a few years? Probably believable.

Jesus. My internet is looking more and more like a dinosaur each day. 12/12 :(

Also, not that I'm much of a Halo fan, but these are an instant collectors item:

halo2600.jpg

Agyar

Mar said:
Jesus. My internet is looking more and more like a dinosaur each day. 12/12 :(

Also, not that I'm much of a Halo fan, but these are an instant collectors item:

halo2600.jpg

Is one for playing or are you just adding them to the fort?

Mar

Agyar said:
Is one for playing or are you just adding them to the fort?

Hah. Both for the fort. They are NTSC so I can't play them anyway.

They are releasing a PAL cartridge later on (for all I know it could be out by now) but PAL stuff never gets the same amount of interest from collectors. If there's one thing I've learned in all my years of building forts, it's to make sure it's NTSC, otherwise you're basically throwing money away.

Agyar

Just downloaded Monster Dash, may not be able to play it until I head home today though. Enjoy my dollar-nineteen, Halfbrick.

Edit: gave it a quick whirl, seems fun. Does the on-screen jump button remain there all the time? The shoot button seemed to disappear which was nice. Also I finally set up an OpenFeint account, same as my twitter account (lorcanw).

r1chard

Anyone else here play on the SLAK servers or go to their LANs? I'll be at SLAKtoberfest as usual again this year (I don't think I've missed a SLAK LAN in about 8 years...)

Shaneus

legend166 said:
Can we please just shut down channel 7? They are launching a new digital channel, called '7mate'.
What's that supposed to even mean?!?

FWIW, I don't think I've watched anything on channel 7 for months. These days the only channels to get any slice of my time are ABC2 and GO!.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
evlcookie said:
Vook what 27" imac did you get? The mc510 or 511? Or did you BTO that bad boy?

It's last years model with 8 gig of ram. I got it cheaply on eBay. Seems to runs SC2 at ultra high resolution on high perfect so I'm happy.

Rahk

Shaneus said:
Verdict? I assume it's like Canabalt but with weapons, depth and character?
Well, I can tell you it's about 14mb but that's about it. Need to wait till I get home to download.

rass

VOOK said:
It's last years model with 8 gig of ram. I got it cheaply on eBay. Seems to runs SC2 at ultra high resolution on high perfect so I'm happy.
vook mind if I ask how much it set you back? PM me if you prefer

Mar

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Holy shit? Gaz got canned? Any indication as to why Krome Brisbane was shut down?

He did? They didn't close Brisbane Krome, just laid off 60+ people according to that tweet.

Shaneus

I only mentioned Gaz because I thought he *may* have been in the middle of it. Just associating news about a company with someone whom I know works there. Probably about as much as I'm associated with the disposing of hazardous chemicals ;)

Mar said:
He did? They didn't close Brisbane Krome, just laid off 60+ people according to that tweet.
Oh.

God I hate Twitter. The character limit means that a lot of stuff is totally ambiguous. It's like we're 16 year old girls obsessing over the meaning of a text message from a boy.

Mar

It's times like this I call into question my ideas of getting out of IT and into the games biz. Sure I may dislike my job considerably right now, but at least my job security is so significant that I'd have to murder someone to lose it.

The games biz is brutal, unnecessarily so. In so many ways the industry do themselves a great disservice.

All entertainment industries are like that, really. When your job is to directly provide people with joy, you have a lot of people beating down the door to get into the industry and this makes you more replaceable than if you were (say) a dentist.

giri

Mar said:
It's times like this I call into question my ideas of getting out of IT and into the games biz. Sure I may dislike my job considerably right now, but at least my job security is so significant that I'd have to murder someone to lose it.

The games biz is brutal, unnecessarily so. In so many ways the industry do themselves a great disservice.

My theory is, if you don't want to kill your self at the end of the day every day, and you get enough money to go around, you're doing ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom