• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Why is iTunes so shit?

I got my old mans 3GS and it would be nice to put all my apps i have purchased on my itunes account onto the phone. Where's the fucking option? How hard is it? I can't transfer or even view a download option for all my purchases.

Does anyone know a work around or how to fix this?

Has anyone played Starcraft 2 on the new iMacs (or any Mac)? How does it run? Going to buy the standard 27 inch i3 iMac next week and I'd really like to play SC2. I doubt it would run at the full res of the screen but if it would run well at a standard res that would be cool.

Mar

evlcookie said:
Why is iTunes so shit?

I got my old mans 3GS and it would be nice to put all my apps i have purchased on my itunes account onto the phone. Where's the fucking option? How hard is it? I can't transfer or even view a download option for all my purchases.

Does anyone know a work around or how to fix this?

I don't think you can. You bought those for your phone on your account. You can't just 'give' them to someone else.

You can link that phone to your account though, but that would mean wiping everything on that phone that's there currently.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Mar said:
I don't think you can. You bought those for your phone on your account. You can't just 'give' them to someone else.

You can link that phone to your account though, but that would mean wiping everything on that phone that's there currently.

It is my phone though (well now), the sim works in it, it's activated, iTunes says it's fine and it's still my original account. I have used 4 of my 5 machine activations so that shouldn't be causing any issues.

I've purchased fruit ninja on that account but it doesn't come up as a transferable / downloadable option. Instead it looks like i have to repurchase it.

How does that makes sense or fair?

Mar

evlcookie said:
It is my phone though (well now), the sim works in it, it's activated, iTunes says it's fine and it's still my original account. I have used 4 of my 5 machine activations so that shouldn't be causing any issues.

I've purchased fruit ninja on that account but it doesn't come up as a transferable / downloadable option. Instead it looks like i have to repurchase it.

How does that makes sense or fair?

Is the phone synced to another iTunes? You can only sync to one iTunes library even if it's authrorised on others. You'd have to get the apps on to the original iTunes library and transfer them, or wipe the phone and sync it with the library you're using now.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Mar said:
Is the phone synced to another iTunes? You can only sync to one iTunes library even if it's authrorised on others. You'd have to get the apps on to the original iTunes library and transfer them, or wipe the phone and sync it with the library you're using now.

No it shouldn't be synced at all. It's been restored to original settings. I will re-redo it tomorrow or over the weekend to make sure.

The iTunes library would suggest i have the applications i own already downloaded, which i don't. Which to me is the flaw in the system. I guess i wanted it to be more steam like, log in and there's the shit i have purchased ready to be synced. Instead it's such a closed system that it seems to screw you over as a consumer.

I'm not trying to steal anything from iTunes. All i want is the crap i've legally purchased with my account available to me for download so i can sync it with my phone, it seems like i can't even do that.

Are any VicGAFers likely to take OzModChips up on their offer to show off the new PS3 backup tool in their store? I'm certainly intrigued, it allows the running of unsigned code so it means possible Linux with full RSX access. But TBH the main reason I'm interested is because I could copy my PS3 games to the hard drives on both of my PS3s without having to lug my discs all around my house all of the time. Yes, I'm that lazy - hell the reason I bought two PS3s was so that I didn't need to lug my PS3 around all of the time :D

hirokazu

endlessflood said:
Are any VicGAFers likely to take OzModChips up on their offer to show off the new PS3 backup tool in their store? I'm certainly intrigued, it allows the running of unsigned code so it means possible Linux with full RSX access. But TBH the main reason I'm interested is because I could copy my PS3 games to the hard drives on both of my PS3s without having to lug my discs all around my house all of the time. Yes, I'm that lazy - hell the reason I bought two PS3s was so that I didn't need to lug my PS3 around all of the time :D
:0

Shaneus

Probably, though as I said in that thread, the main reason I'm interested is so that I can (hopefully) get NTFS access to USB devices so that I can copy everything that PlayTV records, even stuff >4gb.

PS. The Playstation store is fucking shit. I spend fucking forever downloading Wipeout, it says I have to download a massive (in relation to the speed I get off the store) update. So, I go to play Super Stardust to kill some time. It says I have to download a fucking update that, too, would take fucking forever. Seriously. Fucking hell.

I don't recall XBL ever pulling this sort of shit.

I'm going to bed.

hirokazu

Shaneus said:
Probably, though as I said in that thread, the main reason I'm interested is so that I can (hopefully) get NTFS access to USB devices so that I can copy everything that PlayTV records, even stuff >4gb.

PS. The Playstation store is fucking shit. I spend fucking forever downloading Wipeout, it says I have to download a massive (in relation to the speed I get off the store) update. So, I go to play Super Stardust to kill some time. It says I have to download a fucking update that, too, would take fucking forever. Seriously. Fucking hell.

I don't recall XBL ever pulling this sort of shit.

I'm going to bed.
That recommendations thing they added is fucking shit.

Regarding your complaint, I think you can blame PlayStation Plus. That automatic download shit should be a firmware feature, but they need to differentiate their shitty premium network service, so they chuck it into that instead.

I wouldn't really care either way about the exploit, but fuck am I happy Sony got what they deserved for removing OtherOS. :D Fuckers.

But on potential uses for this exploit, well, what I want most is MKV video support and region-free DVD, BD, PSone and PS2 playback, but that could be a long way off, if ever.

I don't really want to see the piracy side of this, but that said, I may use the disc backup as insurance in case my Blu-ray drive dies a second time, shit's not cheap to repair. :|

Mar

evlcookie said:
No it shouldn't be synced at all. It's been restored to original settings. I will re-redo it tomorrow or over the weekend to make sure.

The iTunes library would suggest i have the applications i own already downloaded, which i don't. Which to me is the flaw in the system. I guess i wanted it to be more steam like, log in and there's the shit i have purchased ready to be synced. Instead it's such a closed system that it seems to screw you over as a consumer.

I'm not trying to steal anything from iTunes. All i want is the crap i've legally purchased with my account available to me for download so i can sync it with my phone, it seems like i can't even do that.

iTunes is a complicated and frustrating program, I entirely agree. Keeping it all in order with multiple devices is a chore at best.

rass

evlcookie - did you backup your 3g, then restore it to the 3gs? I imagine that would have avoided the headache, if it was possible that is.

thanks for the PM vook! I think my mum wants (needs) a new comp and I want her to get an iMac rather than another macbook which is just glued to her desk anyway. Yours is a little excessive for her needs but prices are good to know

anybody:
should I...
replace the HDD in my mbp with a SSD? the HDD is on the fritz (as is the optical drive :(). I don't want to pour too much cash into it because I want to replace the laptop mid next year.
or
replace the optical drive with a SSD and buy an external optical drive? (I intend to run dual SSDs in my next laptop - so I'll need an external drive eventually anyway :D)
either way, I could keep the SSD and put it in next laptop I suppose.

Decisions.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Don't buy an SSD for your MBP if you're going to replace it. Just buy a cheap 2.5 HDD and call it a day.

Wait until the new machine and throw an SSD into that if you feel the need to. Should be better controllers / support for the mac around then.

As for your mum, what sort of iMacs did you want? There's always this clearance list - http://www.compnow.com.au/html/home/clearance_list/ , but i wouldn't be surprised if it was too expensive compared to ebay.

I'm pretty sure it actually selected my old 3G backup instead of going for a proper restore last night, even though i'm sure i clicked full restore. I will look into getting everything updated and installed on my 3G, backing that up and then re-restoring the 3GS with the 3G backup. Hopefully giving me my apps and crap.

That's the theory.

rass

I hear SSDs are for people sick of listening to their HDD spinning up then waiting for 15 seconds for PS to launch :(
I thought about getting it as part of the new machine but I might be going second hand, and I heard the Apple-supplied SSDs are comparatively slow?

thanks for that pdf cookie, she wants a 27" one but realistically a year old 24" with 4gb ram would be perfect for her (24" screen plugged into her macbook atm). All she uses is a word processor and Aperture 2. Also, hidden object games and bejewelled.

She needs a new one because it shuts down at random, Apple said there was nothing wrong with it and she is a defeatist so she hasn't searched for a second opinion.

good luck with your fancy new phone mang, I want to get my iPhone 4 soon but virgin still don't have any more. Woe is me.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
If you don't want your hdd doing that then stop it from going to sleep? :p

I wouldn't go dual SSDs in a laptop anyway. If you do decide to go with an SSD it would have to be an intel or sandforce controller one. Easily the best these days and should have good low wear leveling.

I haven't seen any price drops on the old 27" machines. Not listed as EOL yet either and i doubt they will be for a while.

Shuts down randomly, she took it to the geniuses at the apple bar or just spoke on the phone? Could just be the power supply or something needs to be reset. Try a different power cable for shits and giggles.

rass

evlcookie said:
If you don't want your hdd doing that then stop it from going to sleep? :p

I wouldn't go dual SSDs in a laptop anyway. If you do decide to go with an SSD it would have to be an intel or sandforce controller one. Easily the best these days and should have good low wear leveling.

I haven't seen any price drops on the old 27" machines. Not listed as EOL yet either and i doubt they will be for a while.

Shuts down randomly, she took it to the geniuses at the apple bar or just spoke on the phone? Could just be the power supply or something needs to be reset. Try a different power cable for shits and giggles.
She took it in to the store, I hadn't thought of the power cable but… it's a laptop, unless the plug is giving it a power surge or something I can't see how it could get shut down? Can I try it on my mbp power cord? or does it have a different voltage or something, they're both the magsafe connector.
Also, why not dual SSDs? I'd be using one for boot drive, main apps and scratch - and the other for photo/work storage (alongside firewire backup).

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
rass said:
She took it in to the store, I hadn't thought of the power cable but… it's a laptop, unless the plug is giving it a power surge or something I can't see how it could get shut down? Can I try it on my mbp power cord? or does it have a different voltage or something, they're both the magsafe connector.
Also, why not dual SSDs? I'd be using one for boot drive, main apps and scratch - and the other for photo/work storage (alongside firewire backup).

Dual is overkill in my opinion. If you're going to just store files on the other then a standard hard drive is still better, more storage and cheaper. An SSD is great as an OS / App drive but not great for anything else due to it's cost. You want to write as little as possible to an SSD to make sure it lasts, So you might have to tweak OSX after you install it.

You can try your power adapter. It will tell you how much W it is on the big fat section, if they match up go for it. If not then you can usually use it for a while but not too long. Since it's an MBP then i'm not too sure. Open it up and tinker around with it :D.

What model macbook pro? Might give the guys here a call and see if they can throw out some ideas. Also any more information as to when it shuts down? Always after a certain period of time or when you are doing something etc.

rass

fair enough about the duals, I will think about it, have over a year to decide haha

mum has a white macbook, she got it when you could get a white or black one, maybe 2 years ago? My macbook pro is March 2007 -- MBP 2,1

the macbook sometimes freezes when she plays games (bigfish games, she d/ls their trials) and just in general when she's using it, no obvious patterns. When she got her iPad it took 3 goes to transfer her photos to it without it shutting down halfway - worked eventually though. It's running 10.5 (haven't got snow leopard yet) and the random shutdowns started about a week after she got a wireless microsoft mouse (has a little usb transmitter). She reckons it's the mouse, but she also thinks it's black magic that I can play scrabble against my friends on my phone.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
wireless drivers or something within osx then?

Have you done a software update? Do that or throw 10.6 on it for fun. There could be a firmware update for the machine that may fix something and of course just try it without the MS mouse. If she can use it when that's not plugged in then yea, it's the mouse / dongle. But i'm sure you guys have tried that, hopefully :D

Well mid next year for an SSD, You could go dual if you're feeling crazy. By then we should have decent sizes and prices along with better wear leveling on controllers, so you might not need a dual at all.

rass

evlcookie said:
wireless drivers or something within osx then?

Have you done a software update? Do that or throw 10.6 on it for fun. There could be a firmware update for the machine that may fix something and of course just try it without the MS mouse. If she can use it when that's not plugged in then yea, it's the mouse / dongle. But i'm sure you guys have tried that, hopefully :D

Well mid next year for an SSD, You could go dual if you're feeling crazy. By then we should have decent sizes and prices along with better wear leveling on controllers, so you might not need a dual at all.
haha yeah we ditched the mouse and I gave her my wireless mighty mouse for the meantime. I might buy 10.6 on my way home tonight, it's only about $50 yeah? She rarely uses the laptop anymore because she just gets frustrated.

haha yeah, I'll sell my car and get dual 400gbs :lol

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
$40 for snow leopard. It should be 10.6.3, MC573Z/A item code.

If it still does it with your mouse then it could be internal. Might not be worth spending $40 on leopard. If you have snow leopard already then just install it on her machine and see if it fixes anything.

Clipper

Congrats, guys. The HBC guys (HBC is the Wii Homebrew app) have announced some download statistics by country. Here's the per capita breakdown:

countries_population.png

Now, if we assume that there is the same breakdown between pirates and non-pirate homebrew users in each country (yes, I know that is probably a very poor assumption, but work with me), then this is proof that we are no longer an island full of convicts! Well, at least no more than those 10 other countries :p.

I guess we still are technically worse than the US, though, which surprises me. The fact that France beat Spain is also a tad unexpected, given many of the hacking communities are centred in Spain.

Dead Man

Clipper said:
Congrats, guys. The HBC guys (HBC is the Wii Homebrew app) have announced some download statistics by country. Here's the per capita breakdown:

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm309/Dr_Clipper/countries_population.png

Now, if we assume that there is the same breakdown between pirates and non-pirate homebrew users in each country (yes, I know that is probably a very poor assumption, but work with me), then this is proof that we are no longer an island full of convicts! Well, at least no more than those 10 other countries :p.

I guess we still are technically worse than the US, though, which surprises me. The fact that France beat Spain is also a tad unexpected, given many of the hacking communities are centred in Spain.
I would prefer to interpret it as meaning we are more technologically savvy than the US. :D

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Dead Man said:
I would prefer to interpret it as meaning we are more technologically savvy than the US. :D
We have more reasons to install the HBC then american gamers anyway. Like region-free gaming etc.

Dead Man

Lafiel said:
We have more reasons to install the HBC then american gamers anyway. Like region-free gaming etc.
I keep forgetting the Wii is not region free. The only current console I own is a PS3, I just keep thinking all of them are region free.

Shaneus

Megadrive said:
/agree

I can only get ADSL1 in my area. :((((
When I went to ADSL>1.5mb I was connected to a RIM but was uncapped and getting ~800kb/s connecting at 8000mbit. About a week after they throttled my port and now I only get around 350kb/s / 3000mbit (though I still connect @ 8000). Fucking Telstra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom