• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

Jintor said:
I saw Sir Terry Pratchett. He told us some cool stories, read from his next book, talked about mana and thunderbolt iron and swords and then we sang him Happy Birthday in the concert hall of the Sydney Opera House.
So jealous.

And yeah, anyone who hasn't read his books needs to, they are brilliant.

Gazunta said:
Most pricey hotels rely on most visitors being business clients who just put net access on their expense account anyway.
Yeah, this.

If the place I stayed at in Thessaloniki for $40/night, or the place in Cambodia that was USD$15/night can do unlimited free wireless Internet, then the pricey hotels surely can. They just don't want to.

Pratchett's books are great. Easy to read, usually pretty short and don't require a lot of involvement. Definitely recommend picking up The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic. Or I suppose you could cheat and watch the TV version with Sean Astin and Christopher Lee which wasn't too bad.

Shaneus said:
I've always meant to read his shit (always hear so much about it) but never do. Is he anything like Douglas Adams?
Similar flipant writing, both light hearted and almost make you feel like a child reading their books. Fairly different focus though. Pratchett has tons of discworld books, pick one up cheap and try it. Go to your local library damn it! Or even better find a copy of the 3 PSOne Discworld games, Discoworld Noir was amazing.

codswallop said:
Yeah, this.

If the place I stayed at in Thessaloniki for $40/night, or the place in Cambodia that was USD$15/night can do unlimited free wireless Internet, then the pricey hotels surely can. They just don't want to.

Pratchett's books are great. Easy to read, usually pretty short and don't require a lot of involvement. Definitely recommend picking up The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic. Or I suppose you could cheat and watch the TV version with Sean Astin and Christopher Lee which wasn't too bad.
Internet in Australia costs a lot more than overseas. For no real reason of course.

Also there is an amazing graphic novel version of those 2 books that everyone should check out.

Jintor

Unfortunately he wasn't signing anything, but he did throw teeth from the Tooth Fairy's Castle (from the set of the Tooth Fairy's Castle, anyway) at us

DualShadow said:
So anyone else glad we have two short work weeks in a row :)
Would prefer more money, damn casual rates. Can't wait for all the easter crap with the inlaws though! Most looking forward to seeing the sister-in-law and her family of revivalists. Should be a fun time. At least I get to spend some time with the little guy. He has been kinda saying words since he was 3 months but today at almost 7 months he is actually saying dada and mama to us (when he is in a great mood). Makes up for all the sleepless nights.

reptilescorpio said:
Internet in Australia costs a lot more than overseas. For no real reason of course.
Backpacker and budget accommodation frequently offer wireless Internet (or a virus-riddled, communal computer), it's just the expensive guys that make you pay. Usually through the nose.

hamchan

reptilescorpio said:
Similar flipant writing, both light hearted and almost make you feel like a child reading their books. Fairly different focus though. Pratchett has tons of discworld books, pick one up cheap and try it. Go to your local library damn it! Or even better find a copy of the 3 PSOne Discworld games, Discoworld Noir was amazing.
I'll also add that the first two books in the Discworld series are the worst. I'd suggest newcomers to start with Mort or Guards Guards.

hamchan said:
I'll also add that the first two books in the Discworld series are the worst. I'd suggest newcomers to start with Mort or Guards Guards.
The pyramid one was my favourite before the Moist von Lipwig stories. I would argue that he gets progressively better with each book.

reptilescorpio said:
Would prefer more money, damn casual rates. Can't wait for all the easter crap with the inlaws though! Most looking forward to seeing the sister-in-law and her family of revivalists. Should be a fun time. At least I get to spend some time with the little guy. He has been kinda saying words since he was 3 months but today at almost 7 months he is actually saying dada and mama to us (when he is in a great mood). Makes up for all the sleepless nights.

I love public holidays now that I'm full time. Used to hate them when I was a casual.

Dead Man

hamchan said:
While they are the worst, I think they are still a good introduction to Discworld, at least the first one is worth reading to get the simplest introduction to the world. And you know they only get better, too.

Bernbaum

Was of the expectation that this thread would hurtle quickly towards 20k and bashed out a dodgy iPad banner with my greasy pizza fingers.

Had sufficient time since this afternoon to produce something better, but goddamn, iPad banner is what I made and iPad banner is what you'll get.

Bernbaum

Rezbit said:
Damn, how many total posts does that make the AusGAF iterations?
About 53,000 by the time this bad boy ticks over.

Should have done something for 50,000 cumulative posts back when it happened, like post goatse with the GAF symbol over his bumhole or something.

Bernbaum said:
Was of the expectation that this thread would hurtle quickly towards 20k and bashed out a dodgy iPad banner with my greasy pizza fingers.

Had sufficient time since this afternoon to produce something better, but goddamn, iPad banner is what I made and iPad banner is what you'll get.
This is the age of the iPad, it is only fitting that we recieve from it's bounty.
I mean if Gorillza can release an iPad album than we can have an iPad banner

Bernbaum

Really hard not to feel like a guilty scumbag posting words like 'goatse' or 'bumhole' with this lovingly crafted flower-laden Gazatar.

I'd love to hang around for the celebrations (and Bern's Banner) but this bloody cold I'm getting has kicked in and I need some sleep.

Godspeed, AusGAF. May you still exist when I awake.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So i took the top 10 posts from both threads and added those who were in it twice and this is the all time top 10 people who post too much.

evlcookie: 3424 (was 3423 but this one makes it 3424!)
choc: 2662
bernbaum: 2132
Legend166: 2120
Vook: 1986
Fredescu: 1648
Mar: 1436
Agyar: 1371
Jambo: 1076
shaneus: 717

Vook hasn't posted all that much in this thread compared to the last and all of jambos came from this thread.

I'm sure i could do some more digging and facts but fl.ux is fucking with my eyes and mind.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
anyone else been watching Human Planet on the ABC? I know its a bit old, but its amazing. and just amazing, that guy tonight who could hold his breath up to 5 minutes..

and now pitch black is on! what a night *clap*

evlcookie said:
So i took the top 10 posts from both threads and added those who were in it twice and this is the all time top 10 people who post too much.

Vook hasn't posted all that much in this thread compared to the last and all of jambos came from this thread.

I'm sure i could do some more digging and facts but fl.ux is fucking with my eyes and mind.
How do you see how many posts you have made in a thread??

Dead Man

evlcookie said:

Not me! I must be doing something right ;)

reptilescorpio said:
How do you see how many posts you have made in a thread??
Click on the number of replies on the forum page.

Bernbaum

evlcookie said:

O_O

*rearranges life priorities*

I'd have to say the most entertaining poster we've ever had was alistairw, who used to write for OXM and Gamasutra and a few other places and now probably lives on Venus.

Dead Man

Bernbaum said:
O_O

I'd have to say the most entertaining poster we've ever had was alistairw, who used to write for OXM and Gamasutra and a few other places and now probably lives on Venus.
Yeah, he was cool.

Well it has been nice to start my time on NeoGAF here with you guys. Time to wait for the new thread. Here is an appropriate meme. Lots of love.
goodnight-sweet-ausgaf-20.jpg

Yagharek

Dead Man said:
Alright, this should be my last contribution before the magic number, I'll let someone else have the glory.

Dibs on the palindrome.

edit: yes!

Serious edit: anyone know when Steel Diver comes out locally?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Bernbaum said:
O_O

I'm pretty sure he moved down to geelong and that was it. After that he pretty much quit gaf from what i can tell and moved on to other things. He hasn't been on steam for 15 days though, damn.

Dead Man

RandomVince said:
Dibs on the palindrome.

edit: yes!

Serious edit: anyone know when Steel Diver comes out locally?
Hah! Didn't even think of that. Nice one. Anyway, out for real now, need to finish this Ethics assignment.

Yagharek

evlcookie said:
I'm pretty sure he moved down to geelong and that was it. After that he pretty much quit gaf from what i can tell and moved on to other things. He hasn't been on steam for 15 days though, damn.

Maybe he'll be a good influence on shaneus.

wait - how will he complete games then?!

Frawdder

Nobody wants to post now because they are all trying to get the 20K.

Calmly, patiently waiting for that moment with their post all typed out and ready to hit the submit reply button.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom