• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

The best thing about pretending to be able to write about video games is that you get to unleash Geneva Convention-breaching puns like this upon the world.

punative.png

Shaneus said:
Multiplatform games are good too because it isn't noisy as fuck. It's a tradeoff between that and the painful controller though.
Grew up with the dualshock on 3 consoles and its just as comfy as the 360. Has better dpad but the 360 has better stick placement to go along with the shitty dpad. 360 souns like a damn jet engine compared to tge ps3

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Box of Bunnies said:
The best thing about pretending to be able to write about video games is that you get to unleash Geneva Convention-breaching puns like this upon the world.

What's even better is Serrels let's me put them up on Kotaku.

Clipper

You guys saying you can't see the Ambassador games know you access the 3DS stuff through the Your Downloads section of the leftmost selection of the eShop, right?

In any case, I downloaded all mine this morning. Yay for importing :p.

elfinke said:
Nice work. Given Gillard's recent lamentation that Aussie politicking was being Americanised, this could serve to bolster her view.

At the least, it will give me a laugh.

Also, given the way the wickets have fallen so far in the cricket, we should picked a team of bowling debutants.
Some new blood in the batting may help too.

Yagharek

360 vs PS3 preferences are interesting.

Wonder how much of it is dependant on revised consoles (slim vs OG) and vice versa.
My 60GB PS3 is a loud fucker, gets quite hot and once in every 4 months or so throws a minor wobbly upon booting up. 360 slim on the other hand is silent and collects dust due to gloss finish.

Controller wise I dont know why people rag on dual shock. It's ergonomic, it's symmetrical, and if you havent gotten used to it in the last 15 years I wonder how the hell you managed to avoid PS1 and PS2 so completely.

360 controller has better triggers; PS3 has better face buttons.
360 analog sticks fail after 6 months of heavy use (CoD click stick to sprint kills it).

Layout wise theyre essentially identical. It should take no more than 2 minutes to re-adjust to either of them after months of using the alternative.

Yagharek

Clipper said:
You guys saying you can't see the Ambassador games know you access the 3DS stuff through the Your Downloads section of the leftmost selection of the eShop, right?

In any case, I downloaded all mine this morning. Yay for importing :p.

e-shop > Settings/Other > Titles You've Downloaded > profit?

Because that's the menu I'm in and nothing there.

elfinke

Just saw footage on ABC of a protest held outside of Albanese's office (same mob that organised the 'no confidence' protest in Canberra). Average age of protester had to have been 45+.

I'm sure there would have been some great signs among them, but I was too slow screen-capping to see.

Regarding controllers, the only time I get annoyed at either of them is when the DS analogue sticks cause me to bash my thumbs together, or when I realise how my wrists are aching from the 360 battery pack.

jambo

RandomVince said:
Controller wise I dont know why people rag on dual shock. It's ergonomic, it's symmetrical, and if you havent gotten used to it in the last 15 years I wonder how the hell you managed to avoid PS1 and PS2 so completely.

360 controller has better triggers; PS3 has better face buttons.
360 analog sticks fail after 6 months of heavy use (CoD click stick to sprint kills it).

Layout wise theyre essentially identical. It should take no more than 2 minutes to re-adjust to either of them after months of using the alternative.

I love the 360 controller, don't have any issues with the face buttons. The problem is the D-pad. So many times when I'm playing NFS Hot Pursuit I'll deploy the wrong power up because the D-pad is so squishy and shitty.

I hate the PS3 controller, one of the main reasons I still haven't finished Killzone 2 and Uncharted 1/2. Damn marshmallow triggers.

Yagharek

Oh and I will say this .... going from 360 or dualshock pads to a GC controller is like <censored by Google ads>.

Ergonomics of the GC controller are second to none.

markot

Banned
Box of Bunnies said:

punative.png
I liked that game on the game boy >.< but I was playing a friends japanese version so I was kinda clueless >.>

quabba

RandomVince said:
It's ergonomic.

I would argue it is not really and not only have they failed to improve on the design they made it worse with the DS3 (triggers). I really dislike the sticks and the triggers.

My PS3 slim is quiet though.

Yagharek

reptilescorpio said:
Old people need something better to do

They dont have anything better to do. They retire at 45, rort the government of middle class welfare for 30 years via negative gearing and investment prices, drive the prices of property up, complain you can't be racist like back in the 1950s, collect 20 years worth of the pension and complain about being little Aussie Battlers whilst sucking the economy dry so everyone else can subsidize their free coffees at muffin break and bus tickets and if the economy goes to shit then they get to whine about their super being smashed but they were the people who voted it in and OH NO BACK IN MY DAY WE HAD IT HARDEST 22% INTEREST RATES DIDNT YOU HEAR yes thats right love, we had to walk uphill both to and from work and you dont know how good you've got it. Ingrates.

reptilescorpio said:
Get some 3 dollar real triggers for ps3. Dreamcast controller was so nice.

I dug mine out about 8 months ago and fuck me it is the worst controller to use nowadays. I have no idea how I ever used it before. Triggers are crap, analog stick hard plastic with a weird range of movement/resistance combination, face buttons are too small and the overall shape is rubbish.

elfinke

RandomVince said:
They dont have anything better to do. They retire at 45, rort the government of middle class welfare for 30 years via negative gearing and investment prices, drive the prices of property up, complain you can't be racist like back in the 1950s, collect 20 years worth of the pension and complain about being little Aussie Battlers whilst sucking the economy dry so everyone else can subsidize their free coffees at muffin break and bus tickets and if the economy goes to shit then they get to whine about their super being smashed but they were the people who voted it in and OH NO BACK IN MY DAY WE HAD IT HARDEST 22% INTEREST RATES DIDNT YOU HEAR yes thats right love, we had to walk uphill both to and from work and you dont know how good you've got it. Ingrates.

Quoting for posterity. Damn baby boomers.

Yagharek

And to hell with it, baby boomers need to experience a Great Depression. We're headed that way anyway, they complain like theyve seen the worst economy ever so they fucking well should see it.

VOOK

Box of Bunnies said:
It's a great game and has held up really well. One of the best available on the 3DS.

Better than Avenging Spirit that's for sure.

VOOK

Just got this in my inbox from a game developer;

You currently hold the record for the fastest time from press release to publication on your site, so we wouldn't want you to lose your title.

Haha!

Dead Man

DS3/SixAxis triggers are the worst on a current gen controller. That said, the DS3 layout is my preferred option.

RandomVince said:
This is the best post ever.

markot

Banned
elfinke said:
I hate it when my (work) mouse cord is taut like that.

Wireless 4lyf.
I just always pull it out as much as I can >_< its so annoying when you have to fight the cord.

And that mobile phone! What is this the 1600's?!

Also, I hate keyboards without wrist rests, which is what I am stuck with now since my other keyboard died due to spillage of drinkage...

Choc

Banned
RandomVince said:

*citizenkane.gif* fuck that was awesome.

22% interest rates on $100k loan is better than 6% on 600k, they just dont fucking realise it.

we only have 600k loans because of wankers with negative gearing pushing up house prices to the shitter (dont mind 1 house but when you have 10-15 negative geared, fuck you).

Yagharek

My wife and I dont have a loan either, still renting and saving.

I'm hoping/expecting a housing bubble burst in the next 5-10 years. And when it does, I intend to be a property vulture and buy up a good quality home (not one of those fake cheap renovated fad shitbox suburban mansion types with plastic lawns).

Seriously looking forward to being cashed up in a falling market. Lucky enough to be able to do so, so making the most of it.

At the end of the day, a home is something you own to live in, not something you own to make it more expensive for everyone else. Boomers have no social conscience.

and fuck you tracy grimshaw et al, you enable this shit.

oh and just on negative gearing/middle class welfare - its disgusting how easy it is in this country to get tax breaks etc when you dont really need it. Welfare should be for those who have no other alternative. eg people suffering MS or serious mental/physical disability. Instead, because of the housing boom, people with shit circumstances are forced out of high cost/high employment areas into low cost/high unemployment places and all because boomers want their self entitled cake to eat.

RandomVince said:

Can we put this in the OP of the AusGAF 4.0 thread :)

markot

Banned
Kinda scary, but I would say that the 'housing industry' is the most powerful in Australia, even moreso than the miners >.>

'blah blah refugees'

'blah blah carbon tax'

'blah blah resource rent kachigga'

'YOUR DOING WHAT TO MAH HOME PRICE!!!!??!'

Choc

Banned
RandomVince said:
My wife and I dont have a loan either, still renting and saving.

I'm hoping/expecting a housing bubble burst in the next 5-10 years. And when it does, I intend to be a property vulture and buy up a good quality home (not one of those fake cheap renovated fad shitbox suburban mansion types with plastic lawns).

Seriously looking forward to being cashed up in a falling market. Lucky enough to be able to do so, so making the most of it.

At the end of the day, a home is something you own to live in, not something you own to make it more expensive for everyone else. Boomers have no social conscience.

and fuck you tracy grimshaw et al, you enable this shit.

exactly. A government should be taking measures to make housing affordable. Removing NG or at least halving the benefit like New zealand did (and their houses crashed 35% in a year) would help

Yes people say it would blow the rental market up, but more people could afford so rental market would not be in such demand

EDIT:

what a shame

Team Bondi Goes Into Administration
1:30PM TRACEY LIEN | Sydney-based game development studio, Team Bondi, is no stranger to bumpy roads. Having switched publishers, spent seven years developing a game, and then being accused of providing poor working conditions, the bumpy road is about to come to an end… because the company has gone into administration.

Fusebox

Banned
jambo said:
Most comfortable input device for me is still

L0UFr.jpg

I had to get rid of mine, the keys were just way too small for me...

Funnily enough I replaced it with a POS Dell keyboard which is awesome:

kb-delll100.jpg

Key size and layout is perfect and it doesn't take up half my desk.

Yagharek

Choc said:
exactly. A government should be taking measures to make housing affordable. Removing NG or at least halving the benefit like New zealand did (and their houses crashed 35% in a year) would help

Yes people say it would blow the rental market up, but more people could afford so rental market would not be in such demand

I believe you have relayed these thoughts to g chaos, correct? I remember him telling me at halo lan nights how you and him used to rant at economic bullshit that goes on in this country?

Choc

Banned
RandomVince said:
I believe you have relayed these thoughts to g chaos, correct? I remember him telling me at halo lan nights how you and him used to rant at economic bullshit that goes on in this country?

lol wow :)

jambo

Sutton Dagger said:
Can we put this in the OP of the AusGAF 4.0 thread :)

I didn't realise we were in the habit of putting sweeping generalisations in to our topics.

Fusebox said:
I had to get rid of mine, the keys were just way too small for me...

Mine is still going strong after all these years!

Shaneus

Yeah, I never really managed to get anything Sony related until I bought my PS3. A Megadrive, Dreamcast, Xbox and 360 had all done me well since then. All I know is that for most casual games the PS controller layout is okay but with something frantic like Vanquish my hands ache a LOT after even a 30 min session. Rarely had such a problem with the 360 one during the many gaming marathons I've had since launch. I have tiny girly hands too, so you'd think I'd actually prefer the DS3.

I'm hanging for when Madcatz release their MLG controllers with modular joysticks... a 360-ripoff PS3 controller should be heavenly.

Aim to dive in at some stage to get a cheap slim 360, too. Have the HDD and everything else I need so the cheapest one should suffice. Just need to justify it :/

Choc

Banned
jambo said:
I didn't realise we were in the habit of putting sweeping generalisations in to our topics.

except its not. Sure there are some people not doing that, but the majority of those whinging about the carbon tax sure as shit are in that group.

Choc said:

EDIT:

what a shame

Team Bondi Goes Into Administration
1:30PM TRACEY LIEN | Sydney-based game development studio, Team Bondi, is no stranger to bumpy roads. Having switched publishers, spent seven years developing a game, and then being accused of providing poor working conditions, the bumpy road is about to come to an end… because the company has gone into administration.
Negative Gearing is such a terrible idea. In what climate was the encouragement of rampant speculation on the price of a necessity like housing ever considered good policy? Was there some sort of housing crisis back in the day?

Choc

Banned
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Negative Gearing is such a terrible idea. In what climate was the encouragement of rampant speculation on the price of a necessity like housing ever considered good policy? Was there some sort of housing crisis back in the day?

It was a Howard policy introduced in the late 90s as middle class welfare that he attacks so much today bloody hypocrite.

edit: Any party that goes to an election with abolish Negative Gearing would do quite fine in the polls. There is far more people struggling to afford housing than those who are getting rich off it

Australia is one of few nations that offers it. You will also notice a correlation between those who offer it and the highest property prices in the world.

The writing is on the wall, its got to go before housing will ever become less bullshit than they are in Australia.

jambo

Choc said:
except its not.

Umm... it is. It is in fact the very definition of a sweeping generalisation!

Choc said:
Sure there are some people not doing that, but the majority of those whinging about the carbon tax sure as shit are in that group.

Just because a lot of people who oppose carbon tax are baby boomers, doesn't mean you can say that all baby boomers abuse the welfare system, complain about everything and say how much better things were back in their day.

Fredescu

jambo said:
doesn't mean you can say that all baby boomers abuse the welfare system, complain about everything and say how much better things were back in their day.
I don't think that was his intent, but I agree, that's how it comes across to me.

Yagharek

jambo said:
Umm... it is. It is in fact the very definition of a sweeping generalisation!

Just because a lot of people who oppose carbon tax are baby boomers, doesn't mean you can say that all baby boomers abuse the welfare system, complain about everything and say how much better things were back in their day.

Well obviously not all, but certainly the loudest ones seem to be putting forward that message.

Top Bottom