• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
The Apple TV does look nice now that it can do 1080p but i do have to wonder if the Raspberry pi is more powerful and might support more audio codecs.

iPad 2 16GB is currently $579 still. Looks like it should drop to $429 going by the AU store.

commissar

I had saved up a bit for an ipad 3 but it looks like material costs at uni will be more expensive than last year.
ipad 4 it is.

Choc

Banned
HOW BOUT THIS WEATHER MAN

the queues in sydney for public transport today is ridiculous

there wa sliek 400 people waiting for my bus,

i walked

are they the peopel that run cd wow?

No pretty sure they're different. Wow was just a Queensland based JB Hifi competitor with a weird circular design

I just read an article on iPad 3, basically nothing new?

Seems pretty disappointing from what I've seen. People were hoping for a big upgrade and the screen resolution seems like the biggest changes. At least there is a drop in the price of 2. I might add that to the possible tablet list.

Choc

Banned
eBuTP.jpg

edit: also poor telstra, no LTE ipad for Australia

telstra should be pissed

Seems pretty disappointing from what I've seen. People were hoping for a big upgrade and the screen resolution seems like the biggest changes. At least there is a drop in the price of 2. I might add that to the possible tablet list.

The biggest changes are as you said, the resolution (2048x1536 is pretty crazy for a tablet), quad core gpu, I think someone said more ram, and LTE support. Interestingly enough in the US they are saying it's 4G now with LTE, but I don't think the particular frequencies of the new iPad are compatible with Telstra's 4G network? Anyone understand what that means?

Choc

Banned
Looks like pretty piss weak rain to me.

its constant and its a lot and its been going all night and major roads in sydney are closed

yeah its not exactly piss weak. A major arterial road in Sydney was just closed (parramatta road)

Choc

Banned
yeah sutton i just read that the 4G the USA uses is not the 4G that Telstra uses

HOW THE FUCK DOES THIS HAPPEN

how cna you have a spectrum called the exact same thing with different frequencies, its ridiculous

we had the exact same problem with 3G, why can't they sort this shit out. It's just STUPID.

yeah sutton i just read that the 4G the USA uses is not the 4G that Telstra uses

HOW THE FUCK DOES THIS HAPPEN

how cna you have a spectrum called the exact same thing with different frequencies, its ridiculous

we had the exact same problem with 3G, why can't they sort this shit out. It's just STUPID.

Wow, that's terrible. It's going to be interesting seeing how Telstra market the new iPad (WTF is this thing called, it's not the iPad3?), I assume it's going to say 4G LTE compatible on the box...?

markot

Banned
Soooooooooooooo.

Windows 8 is actually good on tablets. (Still sucks on desktops!)

Still obviously beta though, some quirks need fixing, like the keyboard doesnt auto pop up all the time when you press on a text input thingy. Also the 'desktop' stuff, some of it still isnt finger friendly, so I do get keeping it for dekstops and laptops, but for tablets its just not that nice, they should have metroified everything for tablets.

Also firefox has weird bugs, like the menus dont really work on tablet, you cant press buttons cause they disappear the instant before you do... I am guessing its something to do with the input.

Its nice and fast too mostly ^_^

markot

Banned
Voice commands are like underwater cities. Good idea in the old days when we were dreaming of the future, kinda stupid and silly when we actually get there... Not that we got there with underwater cities, but its cause they are too silly.

legend166

I finished Mistborn: The Final Empire.

Thanks to ham for recommending it. Really, really enjoyed it.

SPOILERS FOR THE WHOLE BOOK:
I think I'll take some time before going onto the next week. No Kelsier is booooo.

Jezabel

job interview in a few hours! full time position. studying up now. god damn i want this job having no cash ever is depressing

thats most likely a mistake. They don't work on 4G networks here. Well they will if voda and optus go a different route later in teh year. but thats around November.

its most likely meant to say Wifi+3G

all the tech sites hvae repoted AU will not get 4g model

But there isn't going to be a different model just for a 3G version, it's either the wifi only model of the wifi + 4G model (this model obviously still supports 3G).

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
MD366X/A - iPad 3 Wi-Fi & 4G - 16GB Black

Would suggest you are wrong choc. These are the aussie codes. US ones tend to be slightly different in a letter.

Unless of course they are using US codes for some reason. Time will tell.

MD366X/A - iPad 3 Wi-Fi & 4G - 16GB Black

Would suggest you are wrong choc. These are the aussie codes. US ones tend to be slightly different in a letter.

Unless of course they are using US codes for some reason. Time will tell.

There will be people pre-ordering the 4G model on the apple site as we speak expecting this to work on Telstra's 4G network (which Telstra have been advertising the shit out of), I imagine people are going to be pissed when they find out it isn't supported?

Went into WOW, worst closing down sale ever.

5% off laptops and pc, 10% of consoles i guess games were 20% off. Fucking Vita wasn't marked down AT ALL.

They saved their big 30% markdowns for power cables and phone battries/accessories.

Choc

Banned
it won't work on 4G in australia

if it says wifi+4g on the box, apple could get done for false advertising

entirely possible the 4g model will be here, BUT IT WONT WORK ON TELSTRA.

so therefore it will be 3g until such time someone decides we want the US 4G spectrum, probably sometime never because its slower than the 4G that Telstra uses apparently.

Gizmodo AU says that 3G Telstra is faster then 4G USA

job interview in a few hours! full time position. studying up now. god damn i want this job having no cash ever is depressing

Good luck dude! Money is fucking great. Although full time work is pretty balls.

Went into WOW, worst closing down sale ever.

5% off laptops and pc, 10% of consoles i guess games were 20% off. Fucking Vita wasn't marked down AT ALL.

They saved their big 30% markdowns for power cables and phone battries/accessories.

Well fuck. I was planning to head to the nearest one after work. I still might, but if shit is only a tiny bit off then I might not bother.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
It is possible that 4G won't work, Even though we are getting the 4G model.

It is strange that's for sure and it could certainly be enabled with a software update. It's just something people will need to wait out for until there's an actual official response and not just bloggers talking about how it probably won't work.

it won't work on 4G in australia

if it says wifi+4g on the box, apple could get done for false advertising

entirely possible the 4g model will be here, BUT IT WONT WORK ON TELSTRA.

so therefore it will be 3g until such time someone decides we want the US 4G spectrum, probably sometime never because its slower than the 4G that Telstra uses apparently.

Gizmodo AU says that 3G Telstra is faster then 4G USA

I guarantee it will have wifi+4G on the box, this could get interesting :)

btw here is the list of LTE networks around the world, so it's pretty much just the US/Canada that will be getting 4G, as Apple is only supporting very limited frequencies, such a disappointment. The iPad will only support 700MHz and 2100MHz, rest of the world tends to be 1800MHz (like Telstra).

Choc

Banned
cookie if apple releases specs and says 4G is for example 1800mhz 4g and telstra uses 2000mhz 4g (not real numbers)

its not going to work

its like 850 vs 900 3g shitfight we had with optus/voda vs next g

its stupid

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Stocktake on wednesday :(

Getting picked up at 6:30am and off to work! That's going to be a shitty long day. I fucking hate stocktake.

Choc

Banned
so the Kylie minogue concerts are so popular she is doing a SECOND show straight after the first one on each night of her tour due to limited times

sooooooooo, Radiohead get that up ya and do something for the fans for once....

thats right the concerts will start at 1130pm :O

so the Kylie minogue concerts are so popular she is doing a SECOND show straight after the first one on each night of her tour due to limited times

sooooooooo, Radiohead get that up ya and do something for the fans for once....

thats right the concerts will start at 1130pm :O

Tickets will still sell strongly. My gf wants to go to BOTH shows in one night.
Kylie fans are fanatical, some even moreso than Radiohead.

I wish I wasn't so lazy and thought going all the way to Melbourne for a concert was too much effort :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom