• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

oipic

So, so sad about the news of Jim Stynes' passing. :(

We are wont to say such things about anyone when they leave us, but Jimmy really was a special person, who selflessly did much for many.

Bloody cancer, damn it.

Choc

Banned
Except that the iPad isn't (yet) designed for AAA-style games. Where would you store the 5GB of data for each game?

Jobs didn't care about gaming at all which is why gaming on iOS is not terribly mature.

within the app

cod you can have a database within an IOS app (its part of the coding) so that can hold player details etc in the case of FIFA

in the case of art assets etc, its in app. You could have a 5Gig app easily. It would be annoying though

There are some 2 gig games already.

Yagharek

Ahead of any F-Zero or Wipeout? Damn.

FZero GX sold under 500k
FZero X sold about 500k
FZero sold over 1 million

Wipeout sales nowhere to be found on wikipedia. Thats for 1, 2097, 3, Fusion, HD or the PSP ones.

I would have assumed that Wipeout 2097 and F Zero 1 would have been the two big sellers.

This changes everything for the worst if star wars pod racer is more popular. ;_;

cod you can have a database within an IOS app (its part of the coding) so that can hold player details etc in the case of FIFA
I realise it's "easy" to have a 5GB app, but on a 16GB iPad, storing music and movies and 5GB games? Yeah, not gonna happen.

Even if the settings/save games/etc remained on the device (or in the cloud), would you only want to have one or two AAA* games installed at once, and each time you want to switch you have to make sure you're somewhere with a wireless connection and then wait hours for it to download? I sure as hell don't.

* Using 'AAA' as a shortcut for 'big' games here. Which wasn't so short now that I had to clarify it.

Choc

Banned
I realise it's "easy" to have a 5GB app, but on a 16GB iPad, storing music and movies and 5GB games? Yeah, not gonna happen.

Even if the settings/save games/etc remained on the device (or in the cloud), would you only want to have one or two AAA* games installed at once, and each time you want to switch you have to make sure you're somewhere with a wireless connection and then wait hours for it to download? I sure as hell don't.

* Using 'AAA' as a shortcut for 'big' games here. Which wasn't so short now that I had to clarify it.

neither

but for that there is 32 and 64s ;)

markot

Banned
If only there was some small expandable, maybe even MICRO card that could be used in the ipad to increase memory size without breaking the bank?!

Maybe one day we will invent some such!

neither

but for that there is 32 and 64s ;)
So now you're suggesting the future of game consoles is to spend $900, and that includes a still-pitiful amount of non-expandable storage (that was small five years ago), no controller, and the games are either tiny and worth playing for 15 minutes or I can only have two or three installed at once?

DTnrg.gif

Fredescu

Not every game need to be Uncharted. You can have good games with a touch interface that aren't huge in size. I don't know that a "matured" mobile game market is really one filled with controlling a protagonist through a 3D space.

Jintor

I sure am playing a lot of games with a 360 controller in hand these days.

People are telling me the Gamecube controller was one that didn't hurt your hands after like 3 hours of play. Is this true?

jambo

So now you're suggesting the future of game consoles is to spend $900, and that includes a still-pitiful amount of non-expandable storage (that was small five years ago), no controller, and the games are either tiny and worth playing for 15 minutes or I can only have two or three installed at once?

DTnrg.gif

I play game for hours on my iPad

Worms HD, Scribblenauts, Osmos, Eufloria, SimCity, even Draw Something and Angry Birds add up to lots of play time over a day.

senahorse

Probably depends on the person, I have no problem using a 360 controller all day long (with regular breaks of course).

edit: for me IOS/tablet gaming just fills a void (e.g. during boring meetings or when I am waiting in line for something). It still hasn't replaced my gaming handhelds or console/PC gaming in any shape or form. It may do one day but it's probably a while off yet.

Don't get me wrong, I think that the iTunes and Android markets (along with steam and the relevant indie bundles) have pushed forward gaming this generation with much more interesting experimental games than all of the major players combined.

I just don't see the iPad as the future of game consoles for 'core' gaming experiences--whatever they may turn out to be--without quite a lot of changes.

If it were possible to plugin to some sort of set top box (maybe an AppleTV with a storage expansion) then it could certainly open up a lot of possibility using the iPad as the brains of the operation, the storage expansion for, well, storage, and the AppleTV for output... now we're talking.

Fredescu

I just don't see the iPad as the future of game consoles for 'core' gaming experiences--whatever they may turn out to be--without quite a lot of changes.
The word "core" is far too nebulous. Basically iOS is terrible for action games and real time direct character control games. The massive popularity of the platform means that easy to play, has some depth under the surface, turn based stuff, like Triple Town, Drop 7, etc, might easily fit under the "core gaming" umbrella as the platform matures.

Yagharek

Pod Racer was a great game. It was the only good thing to come out of Episode 1.

It's a new lap record!

Something good came out of SW Ep 1?

I liked wipeout.

WHEN IT WAS ON PC!

I liked it on PS1 on the demo disc. Still have the full game and ripped the soundtrack to my PS3 from the game disc (which runs as a music CD, awesome) and use it as the soundtrack to WOHD.

Why? It was an awesome, awesome game.

My Star Wars filter must be working then. I have no tolerance any longer for the films or anything associated with them.

Very sad about Jim Stynes. He was a really top bloke, and damn he battled.

Indeed. Cancer is a terrible thing for someone to go through, but at the very least his public dialogue about it will get some more funding for research. Sadly, you need high profile people to talk about it even though no-one deserves to go through with it (ok, maybe the odd dictator or two).

Not every game need to be Uncharted. You can have good games with a touch interface that aren't huge in size. I don't know that a "matured" mobile game market is really one filled with controlling a protagonist through a 3D space.

This. Mobile games havent really found their feet imo. I think each medium (PC, arcades, consoles, motion control, handhelds, mobiles/tablets etc) all have their own games that need to work for them first and foremost.

The same way Doom isnt a good fit for DS, the same reason Ouendan isnt a good fit for PC is the same reason Uncharted doesnt belong on iOS. It needs its own identity, and like it or not, stuff like Angry Birds will probably be the touch-only gaming equivalent of a pac man or space invaders (minus skill since it cheats).

People are telling me the Gamecube controller was one that didn't hurt your hands after like 3 hours of play. Is this true?

I find it is. The button sizes are a bit small, but ergonomically the shape of the controller, the analog stick resistance and the trigger movement range are second to none.

Saturn has the best d-pad I think we can all agree on. By the same token, the GC pad has the best triggers, analog stick and shape.

Plus it comes in Spice Orange.

Yagharek

No, it's also terrible. I think you can get specific enough about which genres work and which ones don't than to have to resort to non-words.

Yep.

While I agree with codswallop on the account of iOS games being "not my cup of tea" I have to admit that resorting to a core/traditional definition isnt going to explain much even though I know what youre trying to say.

"Core" games now were not "core games" 15 years ago. In the mid 1990s, 2D shmups, strategy games, world building games and point and click adventure games were core. Military FPS games were certainly not "core" and even less so were console FPS games.

It's a moving target and no-one can say iOS type "disposable" games won't be the "new core" in time.

Which as fred says, is why "core" is a silly term.

So is casual, incidentally.

jambo

I'd rather leverage the vertical slice to enrich the synergy between my terminology, thank you very much.

I think we need to concentrate more on the dynamic here and now, and not get bogged down with flim-flam. The synergy is important, it's a key element of the paradigm shift as we move forward.

Jintor

The same way Doom isnt a good fit for DS, the same reason Ouendan isnt a good fit for PC is the same reason Uncharted doesnt belong on iOS.

Osu! on PC is a great Ouendan content-creator but a terrible way to play the game. Ideally you'd get some kind of custom creator program for PC and be able to export to DS/3DS, though that would be probably not the type of thing that jealous Nintendo would do. More likely, since the way the editor works is theoretically possible on a system as powerful as a 3DS, that might be the way to go.

So, has anyone here lived in Canada for any extended period (ie longer than a few months)?

For various reasons, I'd be interested in your experiences and how you compared it with Australia. I've been twice now but only for very short stays.

Feel free to be verbose. Details, man.

also- based on those fucking google ads I'm getting fed across the top of GAF, I can't wait for Saturday

Danoss

awww man don't say that.

Seriously, I thought S02E01 was the first episode up until that point to nail the tension, horror, action, and drama. If you thought that was slow, you're in for a really long slog; bingo with your grandma would be faster paced.

Deeku

So, has anyone here lived in Canada for any extended period (ie longer than a few months)?

For various reasons, I'd be interested in your experiences and how you compared it with Australia. I've been twice now but only for very short stays.

Feel free to be verbose. Details, man.
My experience with canada is:

-winter sucks because it's like -30. Snow also sucks.
-lots of highways but that's just maybe because relatives live far apart
-stupid token system for trains, though it might have changed since I last went
-huge houses for cheap
-mounted police
-good china towns
-squirrels in backyards

I prefer Sydney. Toronto seemed like a slow place and..kinda backwards. This may have changed though because it's been maybe 5 years since my last visit. It's a good place to retire in I reckon!

None of that was probably helpful in any way lol.

Oh woops, extended periods... well I was there for 2 months at one point, and it was winter so I nearly died.

Choc

Banned

DTnrg.gif

what people always seem to forget in this argument is THE IPAD DOES MORE THAN GAMES

thats a BIG DEAL

especially when you can use it for business and tax deduct

EA has Fifa license - surely in itself a routinely popular game that should be profitable to run with guaranteed 10 million sales + each year. If they feel the need to gouge customers and get a second payment for each second hand game sold, then they really need to trim the fat and look at how to make money and not piss off paying customers. Activision manage it year after year.
Don't forget the content packs for FIFA, even after YEARS of repackaging a soccer game with slight improvements and charging full RRP every 12 months on the dot.

EA just want to squeeze every dollar. Not sure if this is a great strategy as consumers are more than willing to reach their threshold and say fuck this shit, I will buy the next one out in another year instead.

EA would be happy if every game they release could be ad supported and DLC driven. $50 up front and then another $50 to bring the content back up to the same level as they offered 2 years ago.

The retail games industry is being shitted up by publishers pushing back against consumers who want a comparable amount of value to what they are used to getting. There are more options easily available now with mobile and tablet gaming, along with indie games getting into the spotlight more. If they want to increase sales they need to increase value, not try and trick consumers into paying a few extra bucks here and there.

Codemasters released F1 2011 with bugs they fully knew about and intended to patch with their first of three patches. They didn't count on the fact that they had a buggy piece of shit and would basically have run out of patches to fix things that were broken with their game. So fucking pissed off about that, despite having not played it for months.
These kinds of games will never be fixed on consoles as the cost of putting out the patch doesn't meet what goodwill they expect to win back after pissing off consumers. All that happens is that they won't buy F1 2012 or will buy it on a different console as they have now had a bad experience with that console.

it won't be too long until you can stream bluray quality video within the living room wirelessly (as in gigabit connections)

add a controller and its a console

thats why the big three should be worried.
Like OnLive or Gaikai. I think it is more dependant on synergising it so that your loungeroom entertainment feels like an all in one solution.

Best controller ever. Never get sore hands even after a dozen straight hours of playing.

The touch interface market is already pretty happening and we seem to have a lot of more big budget style games becoming prevalent on the mobile platform.

Choc

Banned
FIFA is the biggest cost on EA's balance sheet

they pay 50 million a season to the NFL

and its more than that

they have to licence each individual league, and to ensure the EPL is exclusive, they pay a whopping premium for the licence

it would probably on my estimates be at least 100 million pounds a season to get all the leagues they have

FIFA is extremely profitable, but the risk around the product is significant.

Deeku

what people always seem to forget in this argument is THE IPAD DOES MORE THAN GAMES

thats a BIG DEAL

especially when you can use it for business and tax deduct
Yeah, a few banks are experimenting with handing out ipads to traders/analysts and making proprietary apps and what not. Kinda crazy.

Danoss

If by 'near the end', you mean 'Season 2 episode 7', yep.

Oh, you're referring to
that predictable moment? Which is followed by more whinging and whining by characters, and transparent moral quandaries.
Yawn. It has its moments in episode 10 and then looks promising again in episode 11 when
Dale gets killed, the beginning of killing off annoying characters that add nothing to the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom