• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

The MelGAF "codswallop will miss PAX so let's have beer now" meet - Fri 17th May 17:30 at Beer DeLuxe*

Confirmed d=(´▽`)=b
• codswallop
• Omi
• BananaArnie
• Aniseed
• Holycheck

Maybe ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)
• Lafiel
• megadrive
• Aon

* Unless someone suggests a better place

Maybe there's a way I can reserve it or something? I don't know how domains work :/
Edit: Looks like it'd be too much of a bitch. Oh well.
It's actually not that difficult, but if it's a popular domain you have to be lucky (or prepared to pay to increase that luck). Essentially, once the domain is actually deleted, everyone just tries to get in as fast as they can to register it. Again, if it's popular, places will just set a cronjob or whatever to try and register it the second it is deleted. And make you pay for the service.

Took me three years of very occasional watching and a single attempt to get one (that is never going to be that popular) that kept getting renewed, but it didn't cost me anything more than the registration fee.

Interesting read. I just figured they'd expire.
When you want one, the wait between expiration and deletion where everything is in limbo is excruciating.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Oh look, another Melbgaf meet I cant attend -_-.

FUCK YOU GUYS I LIKE BEER TOO
Although I haven't really had one all month. Fucking stomach :(

Shit, totally didn't see this bit rep!

Yeah, PGRnations.com has been down for a few months or so now. I have a way to be able to get the pictures off (see here) but as far as being able to trade/show off/share replays... I'm not sure that can be done as easily (unless you use the same method to copy the replay to me, I copy it to my own USB and play it on my own Xbox... but that's not exactly sharing it globally :/).

You may also be curious to know that the PGRnations.com domain actually expires on the 25th May this year. I've been watching it like a hawk on whois.net to see if it ever gets renewed (could provide some amazing gossip for the PGR5 speculation thread) but it hasn't been touched. If it's still available when it expires, I'm getting it.

Maybe there's a way I can reserve it or something? I don't know how domains work :/
Edit: Looks like it'd be too much of a bitch. Oh well.

Aww fuck, means I can't get those cheevos any more too! My fault for never moving my copy from the father-in-laws house until I bought a second copy last week.

Really sucks as the PGRnations thing seemed really cool. Leaderboards are still up though thankfully.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
You could. You are just selecting not to.

If I can bring two cats, two dogs, and a host of other animals I'm currently taking care of, and someone is willing to drive an hour and a half out to pick me up, I'm down.

Shaneus

FUCK YOU GUYS I LIKE BEER TOO
Although I haven't really had one all month. Fucking stomach :(

Aww fuck, means I can't get those cheevos any more too! My fault for never moving my copy from the father-in-laws house until I bought a second copy last week.

Really sucks as the PGRnations thing seemed really cool. Leaderboards are still up though thankfully.
Which cheevos?

Oh look, another Melbgaf meet I cant attend -_-.
Bummer! We were talking about a possible meet as far back as last week...

Bought Hitman: Absolution for five dollaridoos. It seems like Amazon removed my "123 Fake St" address since I don't recall removing it. When I added a new (valid) US address, it converted it all to uppercase so maybe it's verifying addresses in the US now?

Cheevos to upload replay and photos Shaneus. I think there are 4 or 5 of them. Fucking Microsoft (I'll blame them for the sake of it).

Fakest fake thing that was ever faked. Probably.

Yup. Hilarious though. Good effort! More people than expected responded, "Couldn't make it any worse". (which was the wifes reaction too lol)

Also fucking bikies, gun shop in town here got raided. Smashed the front window up real good and then tried to smash through a wall to get to the safes lol
Right in the middle of town so they didn't get anything I'm pretty sure. The damage makes it seem like they knew what they were doing though.

Your town has a gun shop??

Official Sony PS3 Wireless 7.1 Stereo Headset for $82 posted (Death am cry?)
God of War Ascension SE for $40 posted or $29.56 posted for the standard edition

I bought the headset a year ago from OGS for $90 shipped.
I rented GOW Ascension yesterday from VideoEzy and finished it in 10hours. :p

Your town has a gun shop??

I bought the headset a year ago from OGS for $90 shipped.
I rented GOW Ascension yesterday from VideoEzy and finished it in 10hours. :p

Well, combined Gun shop, Diving shop, Hunting shop. Decent amount of duck hunting out this way still. Pretty niche part of the store though, the diving stuff is where the money is.

Forgot to talk about my Video store the other day!
Local place, Video 2000. On Tuesdays they charge $1.50 for an older weekly rental (Gears 3) and $2 for a new weekly (Aliens Colonial Marines). Stuff like Bioshock Infinite is obviously still in overnight territory but only $2 for the night which is great.

Ah, hunting supplies. I was thinking about something like this

20367936_BG1.jpg

So

Has anyone here had much experience with sending large parcels with couriers?
I have a heavy "tea chest" size box of around 23 kilos to send from Brisbane to Sydney and bloody Australia post can't handle anything heavier than 22 Kg.

any recommendations or experiences?

Dead Man

Why is your avatar so unhappy, DeathJr? :(

And why does it chill me to combine that picture with:

I'll admit it: I'm slightly disturbed right now...

Don't be. America is a strange but happily singular place.

Edit: Oh, I misunderstood. What do you have against non happy avatars, huh?!!?

Shaneus

Cheevos to upload replay and photos Shaneus. I think there are 4 or 5 of them. Fucking Microsoft (I'll blame them for the sake of it).
I know there are some that only require you to *take* photos (I know there's at least one secret cheevo for this), but there may be a way to "share" (at least, as far as the game's concerned) replays directly with friends or something.

Don't be. America is a strange but happily singular place.

Edit: Oh, I misunderstood. What do you have against non happy avatars, huh?!!?
I only have an issue when they're thinking of lots and lots of guns... and look like they want to use them. I'm also showing concern for why he's unhappy.

It could be a shameless attempt at being spared during the killing spree, though.

Well, not could. More like definitely.

Dead Man

So, aparently Australia is no longer in the Australian migration zone:

Parliament excises mainland from migration zone

The entire Australian mainland has been excised from the migration zone after a new bill passed Parliament today.

The change strips away any legal advantage asylum seekers get from reaching the mainland compared with those who first arrive at Christmas Island or other offshore territories.

So even if you arrive in Australia, you are not in Australia for the purposes of seeking asylum. Unless you get off a plane, then you are good to go. Fucking pathetic.

I only have an issue when they're thinking of lots and lots of guns... and look like they want to use them. I'm also showing concern for why he's unhappy.

It could be a shameless attempt at being spared during the killing spree, though.

Well, not could. More like definitely.

Sure sure.

senahorse

Personally I liked the idea of putting them on a plane and sending them straight back if they weren't legitimately seeking asylum, rather then putting them into detention camps indefinitely. I think the coalition opposed that one. Can't wait to see what their strategy is.

Dead Man

Personally I liked the idea of putting them on a plane and sending them straight back if they weren't legitimately seeking asylum, rather then putting them into detention camps indefinitely. I think the coalition opposed that one. Can't wait to see what their strategy is.

94% of people requesting asylum are granted it. This is just punitive shite. Process them quickly, kick out the 6%, save money, have better karma, no downside.

lol that is some grade a bullshit, how the fuck did they get that through? Just watch, there will be very little blowup in the media.

94% of people requesting asylum are granted it. This is just punitive shite. Process them quickly, kick out the 6%, save money, have better karma, no downside.

Only the cosmos can dish out Karma buddy. We have no way of knowing if that would up the Karma rate! Stop pretending to hear the voice of the cosmos!

So

I have a heavy "tea chest" size box of around 23 kilos to send from Brisbane to Sydney and bloody Australia post can't handle anything heavier than 22 Kg.

any recommendations or experiences?

Pack&Send is the best alternative.

Why is your avatar so unhappy, DeathJr? :(

I'm planning on doing some hunting of my own. Chimps mostly. That's my game face.

I am listening to new Daft Punk album and falling asleep.

Shaneus will kill you.

senahorse

Yeah fair enough. I think the other big problem is the integration into society, the government just seems to process them in, give them a welfare package and then abandon them.

Dead Man

Yeah fair enough. I think the other big problem is the integration into society, the government just seems to process them in, give them a welfare package and then abandon them.

Yeah, pretty much. These bridging visas will not help. Dumping people in the community with no resources, no job, and only a portion of a centrelink payment will just add to the costs of social providers. We are wasting something like 7 billion dollars a year by artficially slowing the processing of asylum claims. That money could fund a lot of shit.

senahorse

Well the coalition will potentially come in with a majority government, will be interesting to see if they can achieve anything. Thought I am not holding my breath when TA seemingly thinks he can just stop the boats before they get here.

Jintor

Well the coalition will potentially come in with a majority government, will be interesting to see if they can achieve anything. Thought I am not holding my breath when TA seemingly thinks he can just stop the boats before they get here.

I'll believe that when I see it.

I keep thinking to myself "At least our political process isn't nearly as fucked as the States" but, you know, that doesn't stop our process being completely fucked.

The coalitions sole strategy to not give the PM a win on anything ever, at all. Scott whatshisface jumps up and down with glee everytime a boat arrives, they're not going to try to solve it until they are in office. I'm surprised they allowed the medicare levy increase that funds Disability Insurance, though Campbell Newman came up with the idea of the levy so I imagine a year or so from now they will be claiming it as theirs.

Just came across this nugget of info from an old Chris Bowen media release

"Australia was proud of its humanitarian commitment – resettling the third largest number of refugees of any country and more refugees, per capita, than any other nation in the world."

Screams bs to me.

edit: Just looked at deadman's article which seems to disagree with Mr Bowen.

lol that is some grade a bullshit, how the fuck did they get that through? Just watch, there will be very little blowup in the media.

The same way they've got through all the other Migration Act amendments that are counter-intuitive to the refugee convention...with ease!

Aren't there services for refugees like helping them with translation and stuff? I swear that was a thing.

I do think its a harder problem than just saying "send them all home" or "let them all in"

We should feel lucky that you don't have what they have in the UK where people stowaway in the landing gear of UK-bound planes

Pack&Send is the best alternative.

cheers, will give them a try

Also- when did West End in Brisbane become so full of hipsters? When I was a kid it was all Greek businesses, then a lot of Vietnamese businesses in the 90's and now its kids with Smurf beanies.

Also- when did West End in Brisbane become so full of hipsters? When I was a kid it was all Greek businesses, then a lot of Vietnamese businesses in the 90's and now its kids with Smurf beanies.

I wish I could have been around for that. That sounds like a much better West End!

Pack Send. Recently sent three packages of around 12kg each from Melbourne to Tasmania. The prices were incredibly reasonable compared to courier quotes. It ended up going with one of the courier companies anyway, but I didn't pay for that!

I wish I could have been around for that. That sounds like a much better West End!

I swear, there was one guy in a shirt and slacks and glasses coming out of a former ice-cream factory that I wanted to slap his big grinning melon head. But he bought me a drink so all square.

here's a picture I instagrammed

image.php

Dead Man

The coalitions sole strategy to not give the PM a win on anything ever, at all. Scott whatshisface jumps up and down with glee everytime a boat arrives, they're not going to try to solve it until they are in office. I'm surprised they allowed the medicare levy increase that funds Disability Insurance, though Campbell Newman came up with the idea of the levy so I imagine a year or so from now they will be claiming it as theirs.
The Libs only policy is saying No to Labor. I don't see that changing once they have government.
I do think its a harder problem than just saying "send them all home" or "let them all in"

We should feel lucky that you don't have what they have in the UK where people stowaway in the landing gear of UK-bound planes
Nobody is saying let them all in.

Top Bottom