• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

senahorse

I'll believe that when I see it.

I keep thinking to myself "At least our political process isn't nearly as fucked as the States" but, you know, that doesn't stop our process being completely fucked.

Very unlikely. You can get 9:1 odds on it! Only half the senate goes at each election remember?

Good points, forgive me, I am blinded about what happened in my state election
yes Qld :(

The coalitions sole strategy to not give the PM a win on anything ever, at all. Scott whatshisface jumps up and down with glee everytime a boat arrives, they're not going to try to solve it until they are in office. I'm surprised they allowed the medicare levy increase that funds Disability Insurance, though Campbell Newman came up with the idea of the levy so I imagine a year or so from now they will be claiming it as theirs.

Colour me surprised as well but maybe you're onto something :). More surprising that Abbott is apparently going to support most of the cuts in the budget, but I guess he has "Little book of BIG Labor waste" to spruik at the same time.

Aren't there services for refugees like helping them with translation and stuff? I swear that was a thing.

There are meant to be but from what I have read they are servely under resourced to handle the workload.

I do think its a harder problem than just saying "send them all home" or "let them all in"

We should feel lucky that you don't have what they have in the UK where people stowaway in the landing gear of UK-bound planes

It certainly is. And I am obviously ignorant to the whole process (living such a privileged life, comparatively). However I strongly believe (maybe naively) that we could do a whole lot better
then we are doing, and doing a lot more to give these people jobs. Which makes them feel better about themselves (contributing, earning own money etc) and at the same time our economy is stimulated. /wishful thinking

Dead Man

Aren't there services for refugees like helping them with translation and stuff? I swear that was a thing.
Yeah, Bowen is full of shit. In regards the question, there are, but as more people get dumped on bridging visas, they don't have access to a lot of government programmes, and even when the do, the funding isn't there.

Good report from 7:30 here: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-05-15/asylum-seeker-needs-overwhelm-charities/4692438 Only 8 minutes, worth a watch.

They get 89% of the lowest centrelink payment, can't work, can't study, can't help themselves at all. Basically they are relying on charities to pick up the slack so they can save money.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Definitely will be at melbgaf tomorrow. I have a friend who'll be able to drive me to the station too, so it will be very convenient!

markot

Banned
Yeah, Bowen is full of shit. In regards the question, there are, but as more people get dumped on bridging visas, they don't have access to a lot of government programmes, and even when the do, the funding isn't there.

Good report from 7:30 here: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-05-15/asylum-seeker-needs-overwhelm-charities/4692438 Only 8 minutes, worth a watch.

They get 89% of the lowest centrelink payment, can't work, can't study, can't help themselves at all. Basically they are relying on charities to pick up the slack so they can save money.

On the other hand, either party will be more than willing to pay first class all expenses paid tickets to 'not here' if they want to leave!

Has anyone been to Shanghai? What's there to do or shop in 2 days?

My sister is stopping over on her way to Melbourne and neither of us have any idea what's good for shopping there. Any tips are appreciated.

Jintor

I want to buy/play that Prison Architect real bad but it makes no financial/time economic sense for me right now

like that's ever stopped me spending money/time unwisely before

I want to buy/play that Prison Architect real bad but it makes no financial/time economic sense for me right now

like that's ever stopped me spending money/time unwisely before

I too want to play it but won't bring myself to fork out $30 for an alpha.

senahorse

Mr Abbott did not go into the detail of one of his more contentious policies, a generous paid parental leave scheme which would pay high-earning women close to $3000 a week for six months of caring for a newborn.

That one's a cracker, TA came up with that one all by himself.

Shaneus

Hey, does anyone here have a copy of Blur for 360 they don't use anymore? I'm keen on trying it out for some multiplayer (PC scene is hacked to shit) but the cheapest copy I can find online is ~$20 or so (and I'm keen but not THAT keen to see if online is still any good).

PS. Have some nerdy nerd fun, AusGAF!

Omikron

Bit of fun. I got 10191 points. Not that good at it.

11965, managed what I thought was an impressive 89km guess 2nd one up. :D

rRn5YI7.png

Oops, gave Zavvi the benefit of the doubt on their molasses postage and actually waited some time to see if an order was just really dragging its feet before contacting them about it not turning up. Only problem is that doing so put me outside of the time frame in which they handle such things.

Guess I won't be buying from there again. Should've known better with their pisstake "5-7 days delivery" when orders more generally take 3-6 weeks. Had never really had a problem before despite them being slower than OGS though. Only out ~$20 so it's not the end of the world.

Jintor

Man, dunno what to think about the Big N moving in on ad revenue on LP's using their game footage for their thingies.

markot

Banned
That one's a cracker, TA came up with that one all by himself.

They deserve it cause theyre better breeding stock. Good thing he is cracking down on those unemployed and other scum sucking parasites to pay for these golden geese.

I am listening to new Daft Punk album and falling asleep.
Best album of the year, easily.

I'm going to E3 now.
Nice! Hope you have your Mountain Dew at the ready.

Hey, does anyone here have a copy of Blur for 360 they don't use anymore? I'm keen on trying it out for some multiplayer (PC scene is hacked to shit) but the cheapest copy I can find online is ~$20 or so (and I'm keen but not THAT keen to see if online is still any good).

PS. Have some nerdy nerd fun, AusGAF!
$12 from LOGS! (if you buy another ex-display game for $12 also)

Also
suckittttccz8n.png

Awwww yeah.

Oops, gave Zavvi the benefit of the doubt on their molasses postage and actually waited some time to see if an order was just really dragging its feet before contacting them about it not turning up. Only problem is that doing so put me outside of the time frame in which they handle such things.

Guess I won't be buying from there again. Should've known better with their pisstake "5-7 days delivery" when orders more generally take 3-6 weeks. Had never really had a problem before despite them being slower than OGS though. Only out ~$20 so it's not the end of the world.

Really? I thought you had up to 3 months to check. Most places ask you to wait at least 6 weeks from ordering before they will send another one out.

My wife got a hoody from them (well, The Hut) today that took only a week this time, usually it is just over a fortnight.

Jintor

Well they already got their money when they bought the game. And these people are giving them free advertising already. So it sucks.

Right, but if you look at it another way, the streamers are earning money off showing it to other people... I think it'd probably go to the question of how much 'transformation' a streamer adds to a game when they shove it on the interwebs. (I'd probably say 'a shitload')

The whole interactivity deal with games obviously makes them a little different (both in the sense that the way the Let's Player handles the game affects the end video product, and in that watching someone play a game is different to playing it yourself), but otherwise I don't think it'd be unreasonable to draw comparisons to something like Rifftrax or the Plinkett Star Trek movie commentary tracks Red Letter Media puts out.

They don't just hand you a video file of the whole movie with their audio laid over it (for obvious reasons).

Really? I thought you had up to 3 months to check. Most places ask you to wait at least 6 weeks from ordering before they will send another one out.

Six weeks (well, just under actually; 40 days) is the cut off date, after which they won't deal with it.

Jintor

Fair Use has always been a problematic defence for Youtube videos. Ignoring the question of whether or not LP's qualify as criticism or critiques (or parody, in the alternate), they are defences to be raised in court, not automatic blank cheques... so someone would have to get sued and try and raise it in court and probably fail that question.

I like the comparison to Rifftrax or the RLM stuff... but there's probably some presentation aspect differences for LP's.

The whole interactivity deal with games obviously makes them a little different (both in the sense that the way the Let's Player handles the game affects the end video product, and in that watching someone play a game is different to playing it yourself), but otherwise I don't think it'd be unreasonable to draw comparisons to something like Rifftrax or the Plinkett Star Trek movie commentary tracks Red Letter Media puts out.

On that note

RLM Twitter Yesterday said:
A new robot-themed Best of the Worst will be up later this week. It took a lot of alcohol to get through this one.

I NEED MY RLM FIXXXXXXXXXXX

Top Bottom