• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Omikron

Would that still be classed as an arcade racer? Weren't they a bit more simmy and aiming for rally realism? Obviously there are no hard and fast sub genre buckets, but I found the early Colin McRae games hard to get into because I have no patience for technical driving, I just want to throw a car around the track and ram into people.

That's a sim, no?

He said arcade.

I don't think it is sim, certainly not in the hardcore sim category anyway!

It was fantastic fun at LANs etc.

Fredescu

I don't think it is sim, certainly not in the hardcore sim category anyway!

Definitely not hardcore sim like Rfactor or something. With racing games I think you have to make the a lot of choices between fun/accessibility, and realism. If a game aims for more realism, it is further towards the sim spectrum. Classifying something as "arcade ______" says to me that the choices are aimed towards fun and accessibility and not towards realism. It's obviously a contiuum rather than definite buckets, but I don't think a racing game has to have loads of engine customisation or whatever to be a sim.

Omikron

Definitely not hardcore sim like Rfactor or something. With racing games I think you have to make the a lot of choices between fun/accessibility, and realism. If a game aims for more realism, it is further towards the sim spectrum. Classifying something as "arcade ______" says to me that the choices are aimed towards fun and accessibility and not towards realism. It's obviously a contiuum rather than definite buckets, but I don't think a racing game has to have loads of engine customisation or whatever to be a sim.

Probably just frame of reference then, we were also playing shit like GP Legends in that era....

It only juuuuust loses out to Crackdown because, while Burnout Paradise DOES offer the ability to jump off buildings, there are no homing missiles.

CRACKDOWN
I don't recall that game being particularly good...
Crack_Down.png

jambo

I'd go with

Sim
Richard Burns Rally
GP Legends
rFactor
Live for Speed
iRacer

Semi-Sim
Collin McRae Rally
DiRT
F1 20xx
TOCA/V8 Supercars

Arcade
Need for Speed
Burnout
Daytona

Just one more try, promise
TrackMania

Mondy

Banned
Welp, my Twinkies arrived. Almost a month past their best by date but what are you gonna do when it comes to imported food.

They certainly aren't terrible, but definitely overrated and not something I would go out of my way to eat again.

senahorse

AC II and Brotherhood ran well for me.

I did hear that AC III was a shit show on PC though.

AC1/B ran ok (I say ok because although they ran fine they should have run better) for me too but they had their fair share of other problems, control pad, drm etc.

And AC3 was horrible, I didn't play much of it but I was getting dips in the fps with a pair of 780's :/

Quasar

Well..I finally pulled the pin and cancelled my ps4 preorder at JB. Well kind of...seems management has locked preorder refunds for now (as any cancellation means they get less stock). So all they could do is take my preorder number, not that I didn't want it and said come back after launch day for my refund. I guess day one stock really is tight.

jambo

Gotta love Facebook statuses

"Good to see global warming and climate change is heating up the planet and temps are soaring to new record levels... oh wait its only 17 degrees in Adelaide 10 days out fomr the start of Summer!"

Quasar

That's interesting, I cancelled my xbone and PS4 order yesterday at JB and they processed it on the sport.

Well..that is interesting. It wasn't just a sales assistant spouting crap as they went and spoke to a couple of managers to work out how to handle it. Not that I really care...It was only a 20$ deposit anyway.

legend166

So I've nearly finished the first Wheel of Time book.

It took me like 6 months to get through the first 1/4 but I've almost finished the rest in a week. I ended up being well and truly hooked.

And now I guess I'm in for a 14 book series.

anaslexy

"Good to see global warming and climate change is heating up the planet and temps are soaring to new record levels... oh wait its only 17 degrees in Adelaide 10 days out fomr the start of Summer!"

Yeah, I was expecting it to be much warmer by now.

Jintor

lol

"How could global warming be real? I'm cold right now!"

Anyway, crisis averted.

Mondy

Banned
In light of the drama going on with Indonesia and the spying revelations, Julie Bishop has pulled out of her scheduled appearance on Q&A next Monday night.

Government transparency? What's that???

Mar

I'm very disappointed at the appalling lack of love Burnout Paradise seems to be getting in the Internet's latest batch of 'best games of the previous generation' lists. God DAMN I poured some serious amounts of time into that game, and the new content updates kept me going for a solid year. It only juuuuust loses out to Crackdown because, while Burnout Paradise DOES offer the ability to jump off buildings, there are no homing missiles.

CRACKDOWN

BP and Crackdown (and Crackdown 2) are easily up there with best games of the generation. For me, Burnout Paradise is the game of all generations.

hamchan

So I've nearly finished the first Wheel of Time book.

It took me like 6 months to get through the first 1/4 but I've almost finished the rest in a week. I ended up being well and truly hooked.

And now I guess I'm in for a 14 book series.

I might go back and finish that series. Got bored in the third book and i hear it gets really boring in the middle of the series until Sanderson takes over.

Shaneus

No chance pinball man! I can negotiate my way into anything!
Speaking of which, make sure you let me know how good Pinball Arcade is on there :(

I'd go with

Sim
Richard Burns Rally
GP Legends
rFactor
Live for Speed
iRacer

Semi-Sim
Collin McRae Rally
DiRT
F1 20xx
TOCA/V8 Supercars

Arcade
Need for Speed
Burnout
Daytona

Just one more try, promise
TrackMania
Fuck you with your lack of PGR4.

BP and Crackdown (and Crackdown 2) are easily up there with best games of the generation. For me, Burnout Paradise is the game of all generations.
I love ya, but I still don't quite get your love for BP. I think I've worked it out though, and that's that I compared it to previous Burnouts rather than on it's own. Possibly a big mistake.

Buy it on PS4 man!

It is indeed! So much fun. I'm pretty sure they still haven't patched it for Vita play :(
Reckon you'd have the soundtrack to thank for that, boyo. Same reason I've given up hope of either Lumines (or even E4) appearing on PSN :(

Edit:
NEW AAC UPDATE IS NOW LIVE! NEW CHARACTER! WOO!

Fuck you with your lack of PGR4.

Yep. I have PGR3 and it's fantastic. PGR4 has been a bitch to hunt down for 360.

I love ya, but I still don't quite get your love for BP. I think I've worked it out though, and that's that I compared it to previous Burnouts rather than on it's own. Possibly a big mistake.

Yeah, absolutely. It's in the same vein as other Burnouts but it's a different beast entirely.

I might go back and finish that series. Got bored in the third book and i hear it gets really boring in the middle of the series until Sanderson takes over.

That would certainly be my opinion on the series. For some reason I kept reading despite being bored with it at around the same point you did. Eventually gave up midway through the 8th or 9th book. Would not recommend going back. Doesn't matter how good the last few are (I have my doubts) not worth the grind that is the rest of the series. Just read some other Sanderson books if you're that way inclined.

Top Bottom