• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGaf |Early 2016 Election| - the government's term has been... Shortened

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJKhaled

I can't believe the hate this shit is already causing, some old guy went into my girlfriends work and randomly asked her if she supported Gay marriage and when she said yes he went on a rant about everyone losing their morals, equating it to polygamy and said that if we legalise things that make people happy we may as well make murder legal since it would make some people happy.

Makes me angry. Fucking asshole Liberals need to get the fuck out of power.

r1chard

If the plebiscite passes there's no chance that the LNP won't legislate it. It'd be political suicide to ignore it.
On what basis do you make that call? They've gone back on so many pledges in the recent past, and they've explicitly said they won't be held to the outcome of the plebiscite...

Which is why this is such a colossal waste of money. If they're going to put it to a free vote *after* the plebiscite then what is the goddamn point of the plebiscite? Just have the free vote now!

Well, it's good to know that Labor will be voting against it. We should never be doing a public vote for anything that doesn't involve amending the constitution.

Jintor

sounds like hanson's just as big a piece of shit as she was 20 years ago. well i'm not 5 anymore. i'm not scared anymore.

get fucked.

Dryk

Oh no doubt, but unfortunately there's no chance of legislation being introduced into the lower house that would pass at this point in time. We can either not have a plebiscite, or gay people can not get married at all. There's no third option during this parliamentary term.
From what I've seen the LGBT+ community are pretty overwhelmingly in favour of just waiting for the next election.

I can't believe the hate this shit is already causing, some old guy went into my girlfriends work and randomly asked her if she supported Gay marriage and when she said yes he went on a rant about everyone losing their morals, equating it to polygamy and said that if we legalise things that make people happy we may as well make murder legal since it would make some people happy.
Most of my best friends are LGBT+, poly, or both. I would have words with that man.

Shandy

Woman out of touch with reality said:
Indiscriminate immigration and aggressive multiculturalism have caused crime to escalate and trust and social cohesion to decline. Too many Australians are afraid to walk alone at night.

1. People off their faces on drugs and alcohol are what make it scary at night.
2. That woman who tried to break into my house last year was white.

Checkmate, Hanson.

Jintor

most of the australians i know who are afraid to walk alone at night are minorities afraid that some fucker is gonna roll 'em for being a minority

darkace

Banned
On what basis do you make that call? They've gone back on so many pledges in the recent past, and they've explicitly said they won't be held to the outcome of the plebiscite...

Which is why this is such a colossal waste of money. If they're going to put it to a free vote *after* the plebiscite then what is the goddamn point of the plebiscite? Just have the free vote now!

You don't not listen to a plebiscite with the overwhelming majority that this one will without ensuring you're toast at the next election.

seanoff

You don't not listen to a plebiscite with the overwhelming majority that this one will without ensuring you're toast at the next election.

This.

7 News put up a poll on FB yesterday. It currently running 90 - 10 for legalising it.

At this point ignoring the poll would be suicide. And there are probably enough coalition people in favour to get it through anyway.

I work with the parliamentarians a lot. I have a suspicion a free vote would get up.

DJKhaled

Most of my best friends are LGBT+, poly, or both. I would have words with that man.

Yeah, when she said she has no problem with polygamy as long as everyone is comfortable in the relationship the man lost it apparently, it's not fucking fair that these spineless politicians are causing this hatred to rise to the surface. If it was me in her position I would have been much less kind.

The Plebiscite is just

If (yes)
Free Vote (which will pass because a free Vote would pass)
Else
FU

It's literally just a stalling technique.

This.

7 News put up a poll on FB yesterday. It currently running 90 - 10 for legalising it.

At this point ignoring the poll would be suicide. And there are probably enough coalition people in favour to get it through anyway.

I work with the parliamentarians a lot. I have a suspicion a free vote would get up.

I am for it, however, relying on 7 news polls is probably not very accurate. I would has it a guess that the people voting via a live website poll, does not represent the full cross section of the population.

My old man is an old catholic and he is against same sex marriages taking place in a catholic church, but is more than happy for same sex marriages to occur outside of the church.

His reasoning is that his church is against it so deliberately holding a same sex marriage in a church is insulting to congregation. That is what he is most scared about.

i believe australia is in danger of being swamped by white supremacist shitheels

hey, that is my old avatar.

I am for it, however, relying on 7 news polls is probably not very accurate. I would has it a guess that the people voting via a live website poll, does not represent the full cross section of the population.

My old man is an old catholic and he is against same sex marriages taking place in a catholic church, but is more than happy for same sex marriages to occur outside of the church.

His reasoning is that his church is against it so deliberately holding a same sex marriage in a church is insulting to congregation. That is what he is most scared about.

hey, that is my old avatar.

You're correct that the 7 news poll tend to be stacked. Though not usually in a sense that should particularly favor SSM*. Though it clearly is in that poll, support is vastly overstated (+20%) compared to the general population.

I'd be very surprised if anyone proposed legislation to force Churches to do much of anything, they already get to discriminate on faith or marital status which are no nos for businesses in general.

*7 News polls seem to roughly correspond to what used to be the Today Tonight audience.

Listening to Hanson's maiden speech. Most poorly read speech I've heard in quite a while. The most blood boiling too.

Paraphrasing

"Immigration stimulating the economy? What a load of rubbish. Building infrastructure stimulates the economy and creates jobs. what major (infrastructure) projects have we had in the last 30 years? How many dams have we built in the last 50 years?"

I can't. Even

darkace

Banned
I mean she's not wrong depending on what sort of immigration she's talking about. High-skill immigration is a massive net benefit to wages and growth, low-skill is a small net positive or negative depending on the sector. Refugees are a large negative for their first two decades in the economy before becoming a small net benefit.

But far and away the greatest driver of growth in the economy is the government investing in productive infrastructure.

That said, fuck Pauline Hanson.

The Greens senators pretty much all walked out on Hanson's speech. Some people are calling this childish, but quite frankly it's the only polite gesture that Hanson deserves.

Shaneus

The Greens senators pretty much all walked out on Hanson's speech. Some people are calling this childish, but quite frankly it's the only polite gesture that Hanson deserves.
The Greens email quoted the current Australian of the Year in saying "The standard you walk past is the standard you accept", so they walked out.

Good on them, honestly.

Jintor

to steal a tweet:

Hanson: Put migrants on a watchlist, ban muslims, abolish family court
Greens: *walks out*
Libs: THOSE FUCKING EXTREMIST GREENS

danm999

Boo hoo those mean Greens didn't listen to my racist tirade.

Why is it always the fascists who have the biggest glass jaws despite complaining about political correctness and the like.

Omikron

Conversely. Michaelia Cash gave Hanson a warm hug at the end of her speech. I think I would rather be one of the walk outs tbqh.

1473903095941.jpg

I guess they forgot what the 2 Greens Senators did during Brush's visit and speech in the early 2000s.

Do Senators get prior copies of maiden speeches ? I assume they must for such a coordinated walkout. Otherwise it's a bit of a stunt.

Jintor

really? they can't just text one another in the middle when it becomes abundantly clear she's going to be super racist?

Shaneus

Do Senators get prior copies of maiden speeches ? I assume they must for such a coordinated walkout. Otherwise it's a bit of a stunt.
A tweet I came across earlier said Hinch's speech didn't get run past anyone... not even any lawyers. So there's every chance Hanson's didn't either.

really? they can't just text one another in the middle when it becomes abundantly clear she's going to be super racist?

I thought they'd banned that or was that a party / House thing ?

If that's the case fair enough.

(Also it became abundantly clear she was going to be sure racist about the time she started to speak. )

Can't wait for the other two ONP peeps to make their speeches.

We have:
  1. Racist dog-whistler
  2. Loony who at some point while be taken away by the men in white coats.
  3. Perennial car thief facing charges in two states
  4. The intellectual that once taught technical drawing at a TAFE or something. The Brains of the operation!

Can't wait for the other two ONP peeps to make their speeches.

We have:
  1. Racist dog-whistler
  2. Loony who at some point while be taken away by the men in white coats.
  3. Perennial car thief facing charges in two states
  4. The intellectual that once taught technical drawing at a TAFE or something. The Brains of the operation!

The car thief was actually protesting against bank repossession of farms / equipment. I actually expect his speech to be the most reality based. Yes, depressing I know.

The loony is actually a qualified mining engineer so .... On the intellectual.

He's (the intellectual) also a long time One Nation person who was closely involved in the first meltdown, so don't bet much on that speech not being racist tok.

seriously cannot believe that pauline hanson is back into the mainstream like i thought she lost all credibility before i was born (i am 1st year uni its ok)
my dad would tell me stories of how the news would go to cabramatta and film a scruffy looking dude and be like "maybe these asians should go back to where they came from"

seriously cannot believe that pauline hanson is back into the mainstream like i thought she lost all credibility before i was born (i am 1st year uni its ok)
my dad would tell me stories of how the news would go to cabramatta and film a scruffy looking dude and be like "maybe these asians should go back to where they came from"

The ideas and feelings that marked her initial rise never went away in rural/regional Queensland. It's odd since they have approximately 0 exposure to Asian immigration and very low exposure to Aboriginal / Torres Strait islanders in some of her strongest areas.

darkace

Banned
The ideas and feelings that marked her initial rise never went away in rural/regional Queensland. It's odd since they have approximately 0 exposure to Asian immigration and very low exposure to Aboriginal / Torres Strait islanders in some of her strongest areas.

Areas with the lowest levels of immigration are always the most anti-immigrant. It's hard to be tolerant of something you've never really been in contact with.

The car thief was actually protesting against bank repossession of farms / equipment. I actually expect his speech to be the most reality based. Yes, depressing I know.

The loony is actually a qualified mining engineer so .... On the intellectual.

He's (the intellectual) also a long time One Nation person who was closely involved in the first meltdown, so don't bet much on that speech not being racist tok.

Roberts also has a masters from Chicago somewhere! Not sure if he was paying attention though.

Dribbler said:
It’s basic. The sun warms earth’s surface. The surface by contact warms the moving circulating atmosphere. • That means the atmosphere cools the surface. • How can anything that cools the surface warm it? It can’t. • That’s why their computer models are wrong. The UN’s claim is absurd.

Such an extraordinary misunderstanding of even basic physics. Shit like this is dangerous, not only is it completely untrue but now as a senator this clowns conspiracy theories that are even laughed at by proper conspiracy theorists will be reported as the other side of the argument and he will demand equal time and representation. The guy should be completely ignored.

Yeah Brian Whatshisname from NSW was pretty much the last of the true believers once ONP fell apart in QLD 15 years ago and has almost single-handedly kept the party going in the meantime.

Areas with the lowest levels of immigration are always the most anti-immigrant. It's hard to be tolerant of something you've never really been in contact with.

Yeah , I know. It just doesn't make sense though, theres no reason to be hostile to groups you don't know much about. I guess it's got to do with "bad stuff" getting the lions share of the non-local media while feel good stuff is local which leads to distorted views of the "other". A larger scale game of Telephone.

The casting of the Greens walkout as denying Hanson's speech rights is odd. They didn't do anything to prevent her speaking (heckle, etc) or move to silence her via state or public opinion apparatuses. It was merely a statement that they didn't wish to listen to her (which is entirely within their rights). It's probably one of the better demonstrations of how this is supposed to work that I've seen.

I mean she's not wrong depending on what sort of immigration she's talking about. High-skill immigration is a massive net benefit to wages and growth, low-skill is a small net positive or negative depending on the sector. Refugees are a large negative for their first two decades in the economy before becoming a small net benefit.

But far and away the greatest driver of growth in the economy is the government investing in productive infrastructure.

That said, fuck Pauline Hanson.

Put that first bit in there just for context really

How can you actually be leader or deputy leader when there's literally nobody else to lead?

How can you be whip when there's no one to whip ? Many deep questions are posed.

Why Labor gave them Opposition without waiting to see if a larger Independent Block formed is one of them.

Oh Antony Green has preference flows up. Some interesting stuff.

I'm surprised how often NXT prefs flow to Labor for example, not because it's inaccurate given his usual position but because it's different to how he pitches himself.

Also some of the more right parties have near even splits (though since they are mostly New and Small its probably protest votes dominating).

http://blogs.abc.net.au/antonygreen/2016/09/preference-flows-at-the-2016-federal-election.html

jambo

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...hs-after-july-2-election-20160916-grhmby.html

Well that was sudden

Labor powerbroker Stephen Conroy resigns from the Senate just months after July 2 election

Labor frontbencher Stephen Conroy has dropped a political bombshell by resigning from the Senate just months after the July 2 election.

Re-elected for another six-year term at the election, the powerbroker from the Victorian Right faction announced his decision by quietly tabling a report in the Senate late on Thursday night.

Opposition Leader Bill Shorten, currently overseas, did not know Senator Conroy would resign on Thursday night and the two spoke on Friday morning.

Acting leader Tanya Plibersek was blindsided by the revelation in a Friday press conference.

"I've only just heard of these reports so I'll be having more discussions during the day," Ms Plibersek said in Sydney.

His career was already on the wane and I suspect being one of the few Labor people that are against SSM wouldn't have improved that in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom