• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
They said they're against a national standard for it, which is fine. Nothing stopping brands from voluntarily signing up to a privately run register of complying producers.

ah thats cool then.

some people who are "against it" have an entirely different agenda.

Yagharek

ah thats cool then.

some people who are "against it" have an entirely different agenda.

Indeed. This way they just distance "The State" from any involvement in the day to day affairs of religious institutions. They just don't get special exemptions and government to do their paperwork.

It's not about prohibiting religious expression, just protecting everyone else from having to adhere to any particular flavour of it.

Fredescu

How about just pruning the tree to the GG level? Quentin Bryce is a brilliant example of a dignified head of state.

Yep, I would support that. I just doubt that a referendum asking something so "boring" would get an absolute majority. It's difficult getting a referendum through.

I'll just be happy to see less and less news about royal baby and his royal poop all over the news.

This would absolutely not change.

Yagharek

Yep, I would support that. I just doubt that a referendum asking something so "boring" would get an absolute majority. It's difficult getting a referendum through.

True. The worry is that people will actively want a US style presidential runoff.

As if things could get any worse...

senahorse

At this point one could be forgiven for thinking Australian politics is no different from the US, if the media is anything to go by. I am not really concerned too much about monarchy but you better not try and take my dual UK/Aussie citizenship away :)

senahorse

Look what Clive left in my mailbox today:

WP_20130819_004_zpsa1545b67.jpg~original

I was hoping the bonus movie was this:

MV5BMTMxMjQ1MjA5Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjIzNjg1Mw@@._V1_SY317_CR5,0,214,317_.jpg

Alas, it was a promotional video for his boat :( You nearly got my vote Clive...nearly.

I thought Palmer said we was going to spend millions on a super duper ad campaign but all I've seen are...posters?

God atleast Katter is trying to climb up my preference list, Clive; get it together.

Ventrue

I thought Palmer said we was going to spend millions on a super duper ad campaign but all I've seen are...posters?

God atleast Katter is trying to climb up my preference list, Clive; get it together.

He mailed me a promotional DVD, which included a bonus video about the Titanic II.

Edit: Oh, I see this was just posted above.

Yagharek

Bring back Keating/Hewson. Either of them would be fine today, so long as Keating tones down the hubris and Hewson tones down the "I told you so" on the GST.

jey_16

Banned
Wow....I'm in London reading the news and it seems like Labour's polling numbers are actually going down despite the Coalition's policies actually getting worse. How is this even possible?

Ventron

Wow....I'm in London reading the news and it seems like Labour's polling numbers are actually going down despite the Coalition's policies actually getting worse. How is this even possible?

People have stopped listening to Labor, like they did in 96 or with the Coalition in 07.
An election campaign tends to not change much, if a government is about to change you can sense it months in advance. Seems to be an Australian thing.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Perhaps you should ask them to watch the news then?

ah its ok i read the article.

its FORIEIGN ILLEGAL GUNS.

these people want their guns back in the country. and I get that, farmers etc, grown up shootin' wild boar, shootin cans off the fence. now they cant, nor can they share that time with their kids!

dejay

Banned
I meant to write "election" in my calendar and I wrote "erection" by mistake. I only noticed yesterday when I looked at my calendar and did a double take.

That's about the extent of my thoughts on the current election. Guess I'll vote greens/labor but I'm pretty unemotional about the whole thing.

Jintor

Look what Clive left in my mailbox today:

WP_20130819_004_zpsa1545b67.jpg~original

Actually, that was my brother.

Clive contracted Salmat for the letterbox deliveries for some reason instead of going through Aussie post like everyone else. We've got a fucking case of Palmer DVDs in the garage we'll have to throw out next week.

Dead Man

God almighty, they are children. All of them.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-19/parties-trade-blows-over-attack-ads/4896862

The major parties are attacking each other over whose television advertisements are more negative as the federal election campaign enters its third week.

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has defended Labor's Grim Reaper-style attack ad as "policy based", saying it reveals the Opposition's plans to "slash, cut and burn".

Opposition Leader Tony Abbott, however, has called the ad "outlandish" and branded it "low politics".

The advertisements, reminiscent of the Grim Reaper AIDS awareness campaign of the 1980s, accuse Mr Abbott of planning to cut public service jobs, tinker with penalty rates and "cut billions from health and education".

"I've always said that the contemporary Labor Party are hopeless at government but brilliant at low politics," Mr Abbott said.

"What we're going to see is a barrage of union-funded negative advertising, I understand it's already started, and that means this election is going to be a struggle."

Mr Abbott said the Prime Minister "should be better than that".

"It is embarrassing that a government which has now been in power for almost six years... is making a whole series of absolutely outlandish and false claims about the Opposition," he said.

Hockey is in full on wanker mode tonight on Q&A. Yell and scream till you are red in the face seems to be his sole policy this election.

Economy debate on ABC's QandA right now.

Guess what: they're hosting it in western Sydney.

It's been super cringe worthy so far. People asking Hockey direct questions about why he won't talk about specifics, and Hockey responding with "labor sucks".

I did enjoy Hockey complaining about the "400 billion dollar debt", Tony asking if that was net or gross, Hockey responding "gross obviously", and then Tony completely owning him. "Well, you do recognise that most economists use net debt, and that's only 100 billion?"

wonzo

Banned
God almighty, they are children. All of them.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-1...ck-ads/4896862
Negative campaigning is far more effective than positive campaigning and it's something the Labor party should've done from the beginning. Though, they probably kept it toned down until the rolls closed to try and get as many young voters registered before turning them off with it.

Economy debate on ABC's QandA right now.

Guess what: they're hosting it in western Sydney.
Sounds about as bad as almost every other QandA I've seen.

Negative campaigning is far more effective than positive campaigning and it's something the Labor party should've done from the beginning. Though, they probably kept it toned down until the rolls closed to try and get as many young voters registered before turning them off with it.

Sounds about as bad as almost every other QandA I've seen.

I read an interesting article in the smh last weekend about how Rudd's negativity has ruined his campaign. Here it is! http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...y-rudd-needs-to-slow-down-20130816-2s268.html

The Indonesian QandA was actually awesome.

Ugh, listening to Hockey is like hitting a nail in your hand, so painful. He hasn't answered a single question with a direct answer.

The tweets have been hilarious though.

BowieZ

Banned
I wish there were a way for democracy to be more effective.

Is there ANY way in which we can vote for individual policies, or rather, individual people - based on their credentials - to represent us in smaller committee type parliaments, instead of voting for one party or the other to control every single portfolio?

I guess there has to be some overarching economic policy (deciding which portfolio gets what amount of funding), and all areas bleed into each other in some respects, but why do economy, business, employment, energy, environment, health, education, crime and safety, human rights, diplomacy, and other areas all need to be managed by a bunch of corrupt lackeys with no discernible credentials?

I wish there were a way for democracy to be more effective.

Is there ANY way in which we can vote for individual policies, or rather, individual people - based on their credentials - to represent us in smaller committee type parliaments, instead of voting for one party or the other to control every single portfolio?

I guess there has to be some overarching economic policy (deciding which portfolio gets what amount of funding), and all areas bleed into each other in some respects, but why do economy, business, employment, energy, environment, health, education, crime and safety, human rights, diplomacy, and other areas all need to be managed by a bunch of corrupt lackeys with no discernible credentials?

Giving people more control might end up being even more disastrous because so many people are borderline illiterate numpties not fit to govern a toilet bowl. The reason the system exists as it is - to favor parliamentary control by one party - is to promote some kind of consistency of rule in a country for a period of time. You're imagining an ideal where you can vote for the best minister for each spot, which seems noble, but it also allows for the worst minister for each spot to take over. It also doesn't prevent partisanship from forming, where the parties present a "THIS IS WHO YOU SHOULD VOTE FOR IN THESE SPOTS" campaign and the predominantly tribal public will vote for whomever their party of choice wants them to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom