• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrSlek

What's the big deal about Western Sydney? Boothby is possibly the most marginal seat in the country, is held by the LNP, and going by past trends has been slowly swinging to Labor and Greens over the past 20 years.

Why is nobody focusing on anywhere except Western Sydney?

hamchan

What's the big deal about Western Sydney? Boothby is possibly the most marginal seat in the country, is held by the LNP, and going by past trends has been slowly swinging to Labor and Greens over the past 20 years.

Because Western Sydney has the highest number of dumb and uneducated people ie. the easiest people to fool with lies and false promises.

So these are the people you have to watch out for.

Dead Man

Yeah, I don't understand myself.

Yagharek

How far we have fallen, I thought we were better than this as a nation.

As did I. I really cannot believe that a majority of people would support something like that.

^^^

The idealism of youth. Politics in this country is and had been fucked for a long time. It might just be my reading of the posts above but that seems to me like the reaction of despair as to how selfish the electorate as a whole is.

Compassion? Humanity? Pffft! fuck that! What about my tax cuts and why is electricity so goddamn expensive I have to pay moar!

Elections are like Game Theory. You have a Keep It or Share It option, and everyone is a selfish cunt (aka the 'Fuck you, Ive got mine' mentality).

Of course, don't let that stop you from wanting a better situation, and vote accordingly.

Yeah, I don't understand myself.

People focus on Western Sydney so they can ignore the people who are actually under privileged and living in poverty in this country.

DrSlek

So I just saw a TV advert for the Optical Superstore.......making the segway from aid to Indonesia and their spending it on their military, to savings on glasses.

What the flying fuck!?

Candidates are being published today. http://www.aec.gov.au/election/who-are-the-candidates.htm

Not all states are up yet, but they all should be up by tonight I believe. Vic, WA, Tas, and NT are up to save you the click.

Edit: All except NSW are up now.

Wow, last time in the ACT there were only about 8-10 candidates in the senate, now there's 27! I'm so numbering 1-27 just to annoy them.

Vote 1: Bullet Train Party! I'm an engineer, I'm voting for a single issue huge infrastructure project party, fuck the refugee torturers.

So I just saw a TV advert for the Optical Superstore.......making the segway from aid to Indonesia and their spending it on their military, to savings on glasses.

What the flying fuck!?

I've seen them at previous elections. I think the owner of the Optical Superstore is pissed off at foreign aid being "spent" by the Indonesians on Military or something like that.

DrSlek

I've seen them at previous elections. I think the owner of the Optical Superstore is pissed off at foreign aid being "spent" by the Indonesians on Military or something like that.

This is the first time I've seen them in any election. One of the solar panel installation companies also has a similar advert out that complains about the rising cost of living.

Surely they must know that these ads make notwant to buy from them?

wonzo

Banned
blackbirding.jpg

Dead Man

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/16/young-australians-not-enrolled-vote

Nearly one-fifth of all young Australians are not registered to vote in the 7 September election – more than double the figure for the population as a whole.

More than 160,000 people registered to vote after Kevin Rudd called the election on 4 August, including 71,000 in the final 24 hours before Monday’s deadline.

But more than a million eligible Australians – a third of them young people – are not on the roll.

Around 25,000 young voters aged 18-24 have joined the electoral roll since the last election, but there are still around 400,000 missing.

According to the Australian electoral commission (AEC), 14.7 million Australians of voting age are enrolled, and around 1.2 million (7.6%) are not.

Of 18-24 year olds, 1.9 million are enrolled and 400,000 (17%) not.

What a bloody shambles.

Wow, last time in the ACT there were only about 8-10 candidates in the senate, now there's 27! I'm so numbering 1-27 just to annoy them.

Best way to annoy them is to number 1-27..but skip 25.

The area has a high number of people that are either new to Australian politics or are going through a significant demographic shift. As such it is an important area to concentrate on, for both now and the future.
Once Australians decide to vote Labor or Liberal, that is pretty much all they will ever do for the rest of their lives, no matter what sort of shenanigans goes down (the real problem in my opinion).

As did I. I really cannot believe that a majority of people would support something like that.

Such as this. The majority of Australian's simply don't care one way or another, or if they did would not change their vote anyway.

Quick question

Say I were to vote for the Sex Party above the line in the NSW Senate, how do preferences work exactly? I'll use their real preferences to illustrate.

1. Graeme Dunne, sex party.
2. Sue Raye, sex party.
3. Shayne Higson, voluntary euthanasia.
4. Loredana Mulhall, voluntary euthanasia.
5. Gordon Graham Fraser, stop csg.
6. Lynda Susan Dean, stop csg.

So say when I vote 1 Sex Party, neither candidate gets up, then the vote is transferred to the voluntary euthanasia party right? But say the voluntary euthanasia party is knocked out too does my vote then go to the stop csg party or whoever the voluntary euthanasia party preferences second? (which would be the Australian Independents)

I don't plan to vote above the line but am just curious to know how preferences flow with the third allocation and beyond.

Quick question

Say I were to vote for the Sex Party above the line in the NSW Senate, how do preferences work exactly? I'll use their real preferences to illustrate.

2. Sue Raye, sex party.

So say when I vote 1 Sex Party, neither candidate gets up, then the vote is transferred to the voluntary euthanasia party right? But say the voluntary euthanasia party is knocked out too does my vote then go to the stop csg party or whoever the voluntary euthanasia party preferences second? (which would be the Australian Independents)

I don't plan to vote above the line but am just curious to know how preferences flow with the third allocation and beyond.

Anything you right on the paper overrides any organised preference deals between the parties in the senate.

Dead Man

The liberals paid parental leave scheme is pretty crazy. That is potentially a huge amount of money each time someone has a child.

Any welfare or government payment without a means test to at least apply a sliding scale of payments is ridiculous.

Interestingly, there are rumours at the moment, that Pyne may not be the family man he purports to be.
http://www.independentaustralia.net/2013/politics/ashbygate-emerging/
On the highway between Cairns and Port Douglas lies the Turtle Cove Resort, ‘a Gay & Lesbian, Adults only, Holiday Vacation Resort’. At dinner ,on the night of 15 August 2012, a guest at the Resort loudly shot his mouth off about Mr Pyne. The guest did this in front of many witnesses — some brave enough to sign statements and identify photographs.

The guest apparently enjoyed his stay, because he wrote on the Turtle Cove website:

“Brilliant holiday”

Reviewed 25 August 2012

I just returned from 8 fantastic days at Turtle Cove. It was my second time and this by far was the best. I had an Ocean View room which was clean and looked over the ocean. The staff were brilliant (especially Grant and Lee) and made everyone feel comfortable and part of the family. A+++ to all the staff.

I went up there on my own but no need to worry. The Turtle Table was brilliant in making friends and I had a blast with several people who I will remain in contact with and hopefully do a Turtle Reunion with in the future.

The identified guest was a former political staffer for at least two former Howard Government ministers. The identified guest has since disappeared into the ether.

The Ashbygate Trust is, however, fortunate enough to be able to call on the skills of a former Federal employee who considers it his calling to locate people and has some pretty good software to back up his talents. He describes the apparent disappearance of such a reasonably high-profile person as ‘unusual’.

In a nutshell, our witnesses at the Turtle Table say this person alleged he had a long-term affair with Mr Pyne but was jilted when Mr Pyne met and began an affair with James Ashby. Read that again. The guest, moreover, reportedly alleges that Pyne is “up to his neck” in the Ashbygate affair.

We have a photograph of this guest and have confirmed his identity, but until we locate and speak with the missing guest this, of course, tantalisingly unconfirmed.

All utterly unconfirmable and probably slanderous. But I would laugh so hard if he was gay.

Any welfare or government payment without a means test to at least apply a sliding scale of payments is ridiculous.

I'm going to guess that in general a household with a mother making $150,000 before taking maternity leave has another earner in that household who makes more. I don't think these are the people who need assistance.
Means testing what they are proposal is in a weird spot because they want to remove this obligation from private employers.

If this is not means tested than I wonder how they will fund it. I don't see taxes revenues expanding anytime soon.

If I remember correctly it will be funded by a 1.5% tax increase for companies earning over a certain amount of profit. Which essentially cancels out the 1.5% company tax cut they were promised a little earlier.

So in other words they are still pulling money out of their arses.

If I remember correctly it will be funded by a 1.5% tax increase for companies earning over a certain amount of profit. Which essentially cancels out the 1.5% company tax cut they were promised a little earlier.

So in other words they are still pulling money out of their arses.

It is very heavily reliant on the top companies making a certain profit. Not like people will adjust their family planning to suit the economic outlook in any meaningful way. The tax reductions fir companies is odd. Near as i can tell if you since the tax rate is flat you would be penalised by earning more if your company is on the cusp o eligibility.

Quick question

2. Sue Raye, sex party.

When voting above the line, preferences flow according to the ticket of the party you vote for. So by the example you've got there where you vote for the Sex Party, if they get eliminated, then your vote would first transfer to the Voluntary Euthanasia Party, then to the Stop CSG Party. Though realistically, both of those are likely to be knocked out before the Sex Party are. Going over their preferences quickly, I would guess the most likely potential first stops for Sex Party above the line preferences would be at 14-15 with the Pirate Party, 16-17 with the Democrats, or 20-21 with the Wikileaks Party. Depending on how the votes fall, Sex Party might even stay in the race long enough that all the parties between them and the Greens (starting at 60 in their preference sheet) get eliminated before Sex Party preferences are distributed.

Yagharek

Also, more generally, and this is probably 3 years late to the commentary about it but how the hell are they going to fund paid parental leave at full wages?

More to the point - why is it that everyone should be entitled to it at all?

The whole point of welfare is to ensure there is a safety net for the lowest income people. The more people you put on some welfare - whether they need it or not - means there are less opportunities for more welfare in other areas where it is also needed (ie scholarships for students from rural/remote communities, subsidies medical care for rare genetic conditions).

I believe there comes a point, depending on where you live, where you should be able to support a family and should have to, off whatever income the working parent has. If there is only a single parent, or one is incapable of working - that's what welfare is for. But not for everyone.

I just find it extremely odd that the alleged fiscal conservative party is happy to pay out varying rates of child support for people on 6 figure salaries, and yet apparently not willing to tax appropriately the multi billion dollar mining companies, for example.

It beggars belief.

Dead Man

Also, more generally, and this is probably 3 years late to the commentary about it but how the hell are they going to fund paid parental leave at full wages?

More to the point - why is it that everyone should be entitled to it at all?

The whole point of welfare is to ensure there is a safety net for the lowest income people. The more people you put on some welfare - whether they need it or not - means there are less opportunities for more welfare in other areas where it is also needed (ie scholarships for students from rural/remote communities, subsidies medical care for rare genetic conditions).

I believe there comes a point, depending on where you live, where you should be able to support a family and should have to, off whatever income the working parent has. If there is only a single parent, or one is incapable of working - that's what welfare is for. But not for everyone.

I just find it extremely odd that the alleged fiscal conservative party is happy to pay out varying rates of child support for people on 6 figure salaries, and yet apparently not willing to tax appropriately the multi billion dollar mining companies, for example.

It beggars belief.

Middle class votes are important. That's why. It is logically against the main thrust of almost all their other policies, but middle class welfare wins elections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom