• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

magenta

Financial regulation kept our banks on their best behavior, sure they didn't turn into the too-big-to-fail megabanks like elsewhere but at least they didn't need a bailout. This can only bring bad things.

I guess the influx of finance and IT workers is designed to depress wages in those sectors. This isn't good news to me :(

Arksy

Another day, another high court case telling the government to go jump.

I've got some reading to do *grabs coffee and cracks knuckles*

Dryk

lol.

Yes, winning an election instils you with the divine right of monarchs.
You may want to specify that that's sarcasm in case a Liberal MP reads it and reaffirms their world-view

I used to think that too, but I'm on the way to admitting that I was wrong and they were right. Renewables seem to be doing very awesome very quickly. South Australia has been getting some great results as you probably know, and check this out: http://blogs.wsj.com/numbers/world-gets-22-of-electricity-from-renewable-energy-1456/
Do the Greens still want to close the medical/research reactor? That's always the thing I've hated most about their policy

wonzo

Banned
You may want to specify that that's sarcasm in case a Liberal MP reads it and reaffirms their world-view

Do the Greens still want to close the medical/research reactor? That's always the thing I've hated most about their policy
http://greens.org.au/policies/nuclear-uranium

10. Closure of the OPAL nuclear reactor at Lucas Heights and development of non-reactor technologies, such as particle accelerators, for the production of radioisotopes for medical and scientific purposes.

Arksy

I spent a few days talking to my friend in energy engineering, he said nuclear was probably the best option but the problem is that if they decided tomorrow to build a single nuclear reactor it would probably take 10-15 years to actually start energy production, and that's too long.

Is that just worded really poorly? i.e. Cancel nuclear but develop non-reactor stuff like particle accelerators for research, etc. It would seem like a stupid stance to hold otherwise.
Yeah, that's how I read it.

(as a pro-nuclear power, pro-GMO Greens 1st-preference-putter)

wonzo

Banned
fucking lmao

Fiona Nash conflict-of-interest documents 'do not exist'

The key documents Assistant Health Minister Fiona Nash claims prevented any conflict of interest for a junk food lobbyist working in her office "do not exist'', according to government agencies.

Labor has called on Prime Minister Tony Abbott to sack the beleaguered senator over the food star-ratings scandal, which erupted when a website that allowed companies to voluntarily sign up to a healthy food star-rating system was taken down at the insistence of Alastair Furnival, a junk food lobbyist who was working as Senator Nash's chief of staff.

Next week, state and territory food ministers will discuss the food star-rating system. It is understood it is likely the website will be re-instated, more than five months after it was taken down, despite having already been agreed to by the states.

i cant
deadmanny.png

I spent a few days talking to my friend in energy engineering, he said nuclear was probably the best option but the problem is that if they decided tomorrow to build a single nuclear reactor it would probably take 10-15 years to actually start energy production, and that's too long.
The insanely long planning + build times really do make it hard to support nuclear in this day and age given we kinda need those reductions in emissions ASAP. :(

We really should've been building those things decades ago.

Is that just worded really poorly? i.e. Cancel nuclear but develop non-reactor stuff like particle accelerators for research, etc. It would seem like a stupid stance to hold otherwise.
Yeah, they really need to word that better.

senahorse

Support for Australia's carbon pricing laws has grown as the Abbott government prepares to repeal them next month, with more people now in favour than opposed.
An annual poll by the Climate Institute found the number of Australians who disagree with the laws fell to 30 per cent, down from 52 per cent in 2012 when the Coalition's attack on the carbon tax was at its peak. It also represents an 11 per cent decline in opposition from last year.

At the same time the percentage of Australians who supported the carbon price rose six per cent, to 34 per cent, over the past year. It is the first rise in support under the Climate Institute poll since the laws were first introduced by the Gillard government.
But more people were indifferent than supportive or opposed, with 36 per cent of people saying they neither agreed nor disagreed with the laws.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...ricing-laws-20140622-zsi40.html#ixzz35QGeYzwg

Obviously will be ignored because of ideology mandate.

Yagharek

I wonder how much of the dislike of the carbon tax is actually based on cost increases, as I cant say Ive noticed anything. In fact, the greatest increases have been due to prior increases from power companies for infrastructure investment they neglected when trying to look good for investors.

senahorse

I wonder how much of the dislike of the carbon tax is actually based on cost increases, as I cant say Ive noticed anything. In fact, the greatest increases have been due to prior increases from power companies for infrastructure investment they neglected when trying to look good for investors.

Australian families are paying $550 extra for electricity because of the carbon tax, Tony just wants to give that money back.

Myansie

Unfortunately there's buckley's chance of the carbon tax staying. Ricky Muir is our only hope and I find it hard to believe a motoring party is supportive of carbon pricing. On the other hand with polls swinging wildly in favour of action on climate change, the reality of electricity prices not dropping and a complete dud of an alternative direct action policy, there's buckley's chance of a happy ending for the Libs either. The ETS was the obvious compromise, but Abbott has managed to box in the entire country.

mjontrix

Unfortunately there's buckley's chance of the carbon tax staying. Ricky Muir is our only hope and I find it hard to believe a motoring party is supportive of carbon pricing. On the other hand with polls swinging wildly in favour of action on climate change, the reality of electricity prices not dropping and a complete dud of an alternative direct action policy, there's buckley's chance of a happy ending for the Libs either. The ETS was the obvious compromise, but Abbott has managed to box in the entire country.

Obvious choice is to allow importation of newer rhd cars in exchange for carbon tax repealed.

Dealers make the $$$ BMW gets the government fleet deals & Mercedes takes the L.

Insurance companies win big, banks win with all the loans for cheap luxury cars and all the cheap asian cars take the L.

Obvious choice is to allow importation of newer rhd cars in exchange for carbon tax repealed.

Dealers make the $$$ BMW gets the government fleet deals & Mercedes takes the L.

Insurance companies win big, banks win with all the loans for cheap luxury cars and all the cheap asian cars take the L.

How do insurance companies win big from an influx of vehicles that put the driver on the wrong side of the car to assess the greatest risk (i.e oncoming traffic) properly ? This seems like a terrible deal if they maintain current insurance rates.

Dryk

He has no chance of reelection either, so when scrapping the ETS backfires politically in the long run it doesn't matter

Dead Man

How do insurance companies win big from an influx of vehicles that put the driver on the wrong side of the car to assess the greatest risk (i.e oncoming traffic) properly ? This seems like a terrible deal if they maintain current insurance rates.
RHD is what we already have. Not sure if it was a type though. If it was, I have driven LHD cars in Australia, it's not that bad. Some countries already allow both, And don't worry, insurance companies would make a mint on premiums for LHD cars even if they didn't change anything else.

isoquant

This is pretty reprehensible: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-...pes-prosecution-for-illegal-quarrying/5543896

Queensland LNP donor Karreman Quarries escapes prosecution for illegal quarrying after Deputy Premier orders legislation change

A big donor to the ruling Liberal National Party in Queensland has escaped prosecution for illegal quarrying because of a last-minute change to legislation ordered by the state's Deputy Premier.

Karreman Quarries was this month facing legal action by the Department of Natural Resources and Mines over unlawful extraction of sand and gravel from the Upper Brisbane River when an amendment, slipped unnoticed into a package of reforms to the Water Act, retrospectively legalised its activities.

The change was not mentioned in the bill that preceded the vote on the amendments and even the Labor Opposition knew nothing about it.

Reading any of the comments on a ABC News facebook post involving climate change is horrifying.

We actually have people in Australia passionately denying it. And accusing "scientists of scumming money for their own greedy agenda".

No surprise they're all from FNQ and Western Sydney.

Reading any of the comments on a ABC News facebook post involving climate change is horrifying.

We actually have people in Australia passionately denying it. And accusing "scientists of scumming money for their own greedy agenda".

No surprise they're all from FNQ and Western Sydney.
Because climate science is such a lucrative career path and research grants go directly into scientists' pockets.

I work in an industry that actively puts hydrocarbons into the air. I believe it necessary for our current energy mix, but unlike some of my colleagues, I don't delude myself into believing that the activities that put food on my table are environmentally benign. Climate change deniers strike me as suffering from the same kind of cognitive dissonance as the people who think racism and sexism have been eradicated.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Because climate science is such a lucrative career path and research grants go directly into scientists' pockets.

I work in an industry that actively puts hydrocarbons into the air. I believe it necessary for our current energy mix, but unlike some of my colleagues, I don't delude myself into believing that the activities that put food on my table are environmentally benign. Climate change deniers strike me as suffering from the same kind of cognitive dissonance as the people who think racism and sexism have been eradicated.
I had a lab class once where the tutor had paid for the kettles we were using out of his own pocket. I'd like to see any academics outside of the lucrative environmental sciences racket splash around the dosh like that.

I used to work for ExxonMobil, after I left I wanted to neck myself and blow the building up.

The amount of people there who either have no soul because they traded it for a dollar, or have no soul because it was slowly drained out of them by their terrible work environment, were numerous.

My manager was a homophobe and a stingy c*nt, all my colleagues seemed to have depression, and everyone who was a baby boomer had entitlement issues.

It was kind of like one big pie graph of what swing voters are like.

I used to work for ExxonMobil, after I left I wanted to neck myself and blow the building up.

The amount of people there who either have no soul because they traded it for a dollar, or have no soul because it was slowly drained out of them by their terrible work environment, were numerous.

My manager was a homophobe and a stingy c*nt, all my colleagues seemed to have depression, and everyone who was a baby boomer had entitlement issues.

It was kind of like one big pie graph of what swing voters are like.
Yeah, I'm a sellout in many ways. My Captain Planet loving inner child hates what I do for a living, but there are bills and they need paying.

Juvenile, but this amused me today.

10492250_792325100801610_5439181725252281514_n.jpg

This is actually a relatively old joke. I'd love to know when and where it originated (the criticisms are vague enough that it could be applied to either side of government). The graphic looks late ~80-ish. And the first page of Google Search returns back to 2008.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
At least I used to feel good about the job I currently do (outside school hours care) and the job I will eventually do (primary school teaching) in the context of my political views... that is until I did fucking sociology last year! thanks a lot for that.

wonzo

Banned
UN rejects Australia's 'feeble' bid to strip Tasmanian forest's heritage status

Unesco has unanimously rejected a “feeble” Australian government bid to reopen 74,000 hectares of Tasmania’s world heritage area to logging.

At its annual meeting in Doha, the Unesco World Heritage Committee said the Australian government had failed to provide compelling evidence that areas added to the site only last year were detracting from the overall value of the area.

No committee members defended the Australian cause as the proposal was discarded in less than ten minutes. Portugal’s delegate said accepting Australia’s request would undermine Unesco’s ability to protect natural and cultural icons.

"The justifications presented [for] the reduction are, to say the least, feeble. Accepting this delisting today would be setting an unacceptable precedent, impossible to deny in similar circumstances in the future. If this committee cares for conservation according to responsible engagement of state parties to the convention when they submit their nominations, we cannot accept this requested delisting,” she said.

feebles a pretty good way of describing the pack of vultures in charge

Dryk

Ol' Tone said:
The application that we made to remove from the boundaries of the World Heritage listing - areas of degraded forest, areas of plantation timber - we thought was self-evidently sensible
I love that their reasoning is the exact opposite of UNESCO's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom