• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredescu

Why have they changed their mind? Last I heard they were going to let it through

"Greens leader Christine Milne has said her party will not vote for the measure because the government does not plan to reinvest the money in public transport or cut fuel subsidies for large mining companies.

[...]

Senator Milne said in Canberra on Tuesday that her party wanted to tackle pollution but Prime Minister Tony Abbott’s tax on fuel was not an anti-pollution measure because the money would be reinvested in roads.

She said the fuel excise rise was simply a tax on families who had little or no access to public transport, while large mining companies continued to claim fuel subsidies. "

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...plan-to-raise-fuel-excise-20140624-3aq04.html

Dryk

The federal government’s hand-picked economic modeller to evaluate the impact of the Renewable Energy Target, ACIL-Allen, has found that a wind-back of the scheme’s target would end up costing electricity consumers money, to the benefit largely of fossil fuel suppliers and generators.

This is even though the modeller was instructed by the government to attribute no monetary value whatsoever to carbon emissions.

Also, the modelling suggests that the renewable energy industry should be able to meet the current level of the target without a blowout in the cost of renewable energy certificates to the price cap.

http://www.businessspectator.com.au...tts-alan-jones-script-has-just-been-destroyed

Tommy DJ

I think its pretty clear that the Federal Liberal Party are less concerned about doing what makes a shred of sense but instead what fits their really quite abhorrent ideological views.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Time to quit the UN!
Last night on Q&A Mark Latham suggested using the Reserve Bank model for other policy areas like climate change and handing control of them over to independent experts. I'm telling you this because I know you didn't watch it because if you did you would have had some sort of catastrophic cardiovascular failure or brain haemorrhage or the like and wouldn't be posting on message boards.

Quite shocked no-one is discussing this. This program had some incredibly disturbing revelations.

Just fnished watching it. As a NSW person who lives on the Central Coast I was already aware of most of it but it presented everything very well and it was nice to hear from the former head of ICAC. For all his faults, Bill Heffernan's involvement increased my respect for him. Thank god for ICAC is all I have to say. I look forward to August and the sooner there is some federal entity resembling ICAC the better.

Dryk

Last night on Q&A Mark Latham suggested using the Reserve Bank model for other policy areas like climate change and handing control of them over to independent experts. I'm telling you this because I know you didn't watch it because if you did you would have had some sort of catastrophic cardiovascular failure or brain haemorrhage or the like and wouldn't be posting on message boards.
Regardless, until we can figure out how to seal the country in a giant glass dome our emissions aren't a sovereign issue

Yagharek

Just fnished watching it. As a NSW person who lives on the Central Coast I was already aware of most of it but it presented everything very well and it was nice to hear from the former head of ICAC. For all his faults, Bill Heffernan's involvement increased my respect for him. Thank god for ICAC is all I have to say. I look forward to August and the sooner there is some federal entity resembling ICAC the better.

It was very depressing to see it mount up on all sides, especially the shift in attention on the part of the lobbyists when it became apparent that there was soon to be a change in government.

ICAC and the like are a great idea and legitimate, honest politicians should have nothing to fear from them. Hopefully this string of events leads to much better oversight through all sides, as the disgusting amounts of money being thrown around really should be ringing alarm bells all over the country. Voters should be livid that their publicly funded infrastructure is being sold off in this manner.

hidys

The fuel index is not going ahead. PUP and Muir were already against it. That left the Greens the decider.

Here's the full story...

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-24/greens-to-vote-against-fuel-excise/5546148

Peter Martin has a good write up here on what this means and why the arguments by The Greens are bullshit.

If The Greens are only going to vote against policy for political expediency than what exactly is the point of voting for them? Sure Labor does that too but at least they have a chance of forming government.

hidys

I wouldn't be advocating this as a general model for policy making as Latham put it last night, but given the relative important issue of climate change and how it has been handled so far such a body which could determine a) how much we need to reduce emissions by to avoid dangerous climate change given the changing scientific evidence and b) what the price of carbon should be might actually be a good idea.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
So I'm curious about AusPoliGAF opinions on the inclusion of this in the Festival of Dangerous Ideas in Sydney this year http://m.smh.com.au/nsw/honour-kill...stival-of-dangerous-ideas-20140624-zsk03.html.. in the context of the free speech debacle that happened recently.

I must be a secret libertarian inside because I'd attend the fuck out of that talk if I lived in Sydney.. indirectly supporting their right for free speech to deliver harmful ideas that promote discrimination etc

hidys

So I'm curious about AusPoliGAF opinions on the inclusion of this in the Festival of Dangerous Ideas in Sydney this year http://m.smh.com.au/nsw/honour-kill...stival-of-dangerous-ideas-20140624-zsk03.html.. in the context of the free speech debacle that happened recently.

I must be a secret libertarian inside because I'd attend the fuck out of that talk if I lived in Sydney.. indirectly supporting their right for free speech to deliver harmful ideas that promote discrimination etc

It's pretty fucked up but I suspect this whole thing is a publicity stunt. Assuming it isn't then I guess they have the write to speak, and I have the right to say to this individual fuck off you worthless piece of human excrement. And sponsors have the right to pull their funding from such an event as they should do.

At least it is a dangerous idea.

Arksy

I think I've had a stroke.

Arksy

I don't get it, it's called the festival of dangerous ideas.....Isn't that the entire point?

I also don't see why it's so bad to give an idiot a platform...just because someone has a platform doesn't mean that his ideas are going to become law...
I honestly think that if they did hold the talk the ONLY people who would attend are those who's primary objective was to be outraged by such a talk....I doubt that there will be many (if any) people there going..."You know what? I'm convinced! Honour killings are great...now...where's my sister?!"

Maybe the stroke just ruined my logic centers and they're not working properly or something.

Yagharek

There's no rational defence of honour killings. Ever. The term itself is an oxymoron and the practice is a barbaric, stone-age relic that should have been left behind millennia alone.

The person absolutely has the right to argue in favour of it, but they're categorically wrong.

hidys

I don't get it, it's called the festival of dangerous ideas.....Isn't that the entire point?

I also don't see why it's so bad to give an idiot a platform...just because someone has a platform doesn't mean that his ideas are going to become law...
I honestly think that if they did hold the talk the ONLY people who would attend are those who's primary objective was to be outraged by such a talk....I doubt that there will be many (if any) people there going..."You know what? I'm convinced! Honour killings are great...now...where's my sister?!"

Maybe the stroke just ruined my logic centers and they're not working properly or something.

It probably won't even be a talk on that and this whole thing is a publicity stunt for some other form of non-dangerous idea. You're probably right though that this whole thing is meaningless.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't be advocating this as a general model for policy making as Latham put it last night, but given the relative important issue of climate change and how it has been handled so far such a body which could determine a) how much we need to reduce emissions by to avoid dangerous climate change given the changing scientific evidence and b) what the price of carbon should be might actually be a good idea.
That's what I thought of as well and it's the sort of thing that hews closest to the central bank example. Could have the benefit of being more difficult to dismantle than things like the Climate Council, CCA, RET, ARENA, CEFC, ETS etc...
that list is depressingly long

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Think that "honor killing" guy got removed from the speaker list. No trace of him anywhere on the site.

Myansie

Peter Martin has a good write up here on what this means and why the arguments by The Greens are bullshit.

If The Greens are only going to vote against policy for political expediency than what exactly is the point of voting for them? Sure Labor does that too but at least they have a chance of forming government.

I disagree with Martin on that one. The reason for a tax is so that you can first discourage what it is your taxing, be it driving, carbon pollution or even smoking and secondly so that you use the funds from the tax to fund an alternative. That could be windmills, healthcare, education or in this case public transport. The fuel excise as described by the Libs isn't offering an alternative to cars. Martin can split hairs on how much the roads actually cost, but the fact is the money is not being used to fund public transport as an alternative to personal cars. The budget actually sees the public transport systems funding shrink.

As it stands it's just a pointless revenue raiser that will hit lower income families the hardest, while Rhinehart and her mining friends, the real polluters, get 2.5 billion dollars in fuel subsidies every year. How is it that fair or good for the environment?

Which do you think will see the bigger reduction in fuel use? The addition of the fuel excise or the removal of the 2.5 billion in fuel subsidies to miners and farmers? It's the latter by a long shot. Mining companies have a far greater ability to change their energy usage patterns than a family.

hidys

I disagree with Martin on that one. The reason for a tax is so that you can first discourage what it is your taxing, be it driving, carbon pollution or even smoking and secondly so that you use the funds from the tax to fund an alternative. That could be windmills, healthcare, education or in this case public transport. The fuel excise as described by the Libs isn't offering an alternative to cars. Martin can split hairs on how much the roads actually cost, but the fact is the money is not being used to fund public transport as an alternative to personal cars. The budget actually sees the public transport systems funding shrink.

As it stands it's just a pointless revenue raiser that will hit lower income families the hardest, while Rhinehart and her mining friends, the real polluters, get 2.5 billion dollars in fuel subsidies every year. How is it that fair or good for the environment?

Which do you think will see the bigger reduction in fuel use? The addition of the fuel excise or the removal of the 2.5 billion in fuel subsidies to miners and farmers? It's the latter by a long shot. Mining companies have a far greater ability to change their energy usage patterns than a family.

1. Not necessarily. A tax can be put in place purely to raise revenue (income tax, GST etc) or to discourage use of a good/behavior (alcohol/cigarette tax). In some circumstances it is nice when tax revenue is used to further discourage some form of behavior which creates externalities but it is not necessary for that tax to exist.

2. So fucking what. Because the revenue isn't being use in exactly the way The Greens want therefore they should oppose it? Road maintenance is an expensive and necessary procedure and motorists should have to pay for the burden of such. It is still a fact that the extra revenue won't even cover the cost of current road maintenance let alone cover the cost of building new ones (I know this may shock you but Abbott is probably lying about this, shocking I know) and again let alone using it for funding public transport. If the greens were really being productive they could vote in favour of this tax and vote against additional roads.

3. The diesel rebate for mining companies is bullshit but it has no relevance to this tax. The re-indexation of fuel excise has been their policy since Howard first froze it in 2001. As mentioned above driving creates externalities (fucking carbon pollution is one of those) and creates costs to the tax payer. It is not unreasonable for those who drive more often/less fuel efficient cars to pay more tax.

The same ridiculous arguments as this were used in their opposition to the deficit levy and they were even worse then as they are now. The political right is for the most part renowned for its group think mentality. I would hope the left would be better than that.

Fredescu

The political right is for the most part renowned for its group think mentality. I would hope the left would be better than that.

Every political movement suffers groupthink equally. Don't make the mistake of conflating the Bolts of the world with the people that arrive at their conclusions independently and still identify with the right. The left doesn't have a monopoly on evidence based policy. It might seem that way at the moment, but it's a more temporary condition than you might think.

Myansie

1. Not necessarily. A tax can be put in place purely to raise revenue (income tax, GST etc) or to discourage use of a good/behavior (alcohol/cigarette tax). In some circumstances it is nice when tax revenue is used to further discourage some form of behavior which creates externalities but it is not necessary for that tax to exist.

2. So fucking what. Because the revenue isn't being use in exactly the way The Greens want therefore they should oppose it? Road maintenance is an expensive and necessary procedure and motorists should have to pay for the burden of such. It is still a fact that the extra revenue won't even cover the cost of current road maintenance let alone cover the cost of building new ones (I know this may shock you but Abbott is probably lying about this, shocking I know) and again let alone using it for funding public transport. If the greens were really being productive they could vote in favour of this tax and vote against additional roads.

3. The diesel rebate for mining companies is bullshit but it has no relevance to this tax. The re-indexation of fuel excise has been their policy since Howard first froze it in 2001. As mentioned above driving creates externalities (fucking carbon pollution is one of those) and creates costs to the tax payer. It is not unreasonable for those who drive more often/less fuel efficient cars to pay more tax.

The same ridiculous arguments as this were used in their opposition to the deficit levy and they were even worse then as they are now. The political right is for the most part renowned for its group think mentality. I would hope the left would be better than that.

What is the central goal of the policy? Is it to get cars off the roads or is it to build more roads for more cars? Is the goal of the Libs to shift our transport system to a greener and more efficient system or is it really unclear what the hell they're up to?

Abbott is using this policy as a political pawn. The excise will have very little effect on peoples driving habits. In fact people will be driving more because public transport is being cut. Meanwhile Abbott is telling fibs to the US President that this excise is a replacement for the carbon tax.

Are you comfortable with the miners getting a fuel subsidy of 10 billion over 4 years while we have to pay 2.15 billion over 4 years in an extra fuel excise? It's an easy comparison and one that will infuriate anyone who's not a miner. Notice how the diesel subsidy is five times bigger? That means we have 5 times the ability to reduce emissions by actually saving money! Money that could be redirected towards public transport or helping the farmers due to the lost subsidy.

hidys

What is the central goal of the policy? Is it to get cars off the roads or is it to build more roads for more cars? Is the goal of the Libs to shift our transport system to a greener and more efficient system or is it really unclear what the hell they're up to?

Abbott is using this policy as a political pawn. The excise will have very little effect on peoples driving habits. In fact people will be driving more because public transport is being cut. Meanwhile Abbott is telling fibs to the US President that this excise is a replacement for the carbon tax.

Are you comfortable with the miners getting a fuel subsidy of 10 billion over 4 years while we have to pay 2.15 billion over 4 years in an extra fuel excise? It's an easy comparison and one that will infuriate anyone who's not a miner. Notice how the diesel subsidy is five times bigger? That means we have 5 times the ability to reduce emissions by actually saving money! Money that could be redirected towards public transport or helping the farmers due to the lost subsidy.

1) I Don't really know what their transport policy is. It has very little consistency though it appears Abbott wants to build roads (though he didn't assign much new funding to that either). The reality is though that this is one of the many tax changes by the Howard government because the government was able to run surpluses and now that we are in structural deficit we have to unwind those tax changes (deficit levy also falls under this banner). Indexing fuel excise is something we always did under previous governments for years and years, Why? Because road use creates costs and that cost should be to at least some extent the burden of motorists. For the purposes of this change I really don't care what their policy is. Presumably this policy could be introduced and then say a Labor government, could change the transport policy to something more sane.

2) You underestimate the power of incentives. In years to come this will have enormous impacts on the way people drive, not immediately but compared to what it is now, when the excise is higher, road use will have decreased by a far higher amount than had we have kept the fuel excise as it was. Public transport isn't being gutted completely and while in not all circumstances, there will still be times when it is a cheaper option as will walking/ bike riding. These forms of transport will become more prevalent as fuel becomes more expensive, which is good for road congestion, good for the environment AND allows us to use the money for the extremely high cost of road maintenance.

3) Why not both? I recall there were rumours that the Libs were actually going to so this but apparently was just a way to deceive the Nats into supporting it. I actually don't know which tax change would see a higher reduction in carbon emissions (my suspicions say fuel rebate but I could be wrong) but there is no reason why we can't do both (though changing the diesel fuel tax would be more equitable) . And just because the Libs aren't doing this (gotta get that Rhinehart donation money) doesn't mean that The Greens shouldn't vote in favour of a policy that they have favoured since forever. There is no trade off between these two policies.

hidys

Not indexing fuel excise is a structural weakness that should never have been introduced in the first place.

Too true. And it is a travesty that it will likelynever be re-indexed again. If it is it won't be for a while and then we will have seen even greater losses from it by not doing it sooner.

There needs to be some sort of reform to 457 visas. It is ridiculous that employers can take anybody from overseas to fill a domestic job that could just as easily be filled by an Australian. If it were up to me the employer would have to demonstrate that to fill the position they have at least tried to fin an Australian who could do the job before issuing a 457.

Every political movement suffers groupthink equally. Don't make the mistake of conflating the Bolts of the world with the people that arrive at their conclusions independently and still identify with the right. The left doesn't have a monopoly on evidence based policy. It might seem that way at the moment, but it's a more temporary condition than you might think.

To some extent yes and in hindsight it was a poor false equivalence. But the mainstream left have NO equivalent to the blatant denial of history and science that has poisoned a fair amount of the mainstream right particularly in the US but also here.

The left doesn't have a monopoly on evidence based policy making but it sure as shit is heading that way.

Too true. And it is a travesty that it will likelynever be re-indexed again. If it is it won't be for a while and then we will have seen even greater losses from it by not doing it sooner.

There needs to be some sort of reform to 457 visas. It is ridiculous that employers can take anybody from overseas to fill a domestic job that could just as easily be filled by an Australian. If it were up to me the employer would have to demonstrate that to fill the position they have at least tried to fin an Australian who could do the job before issuing a 457.

To some extent yes and in hindsight it was a poor false equivalence. But the mainstream left have NO equivalent to the blatant denial of history and science that has poisoned a fair amount of the mainstream right particularly in the US but also here.

The left doesn't have a monopoly on evidence based policy making but it sure as shit is heading that way.

Is there a reason that the fuel excise was set at a flat value (that raised in line with something) instead of a percentage ?

hidys

Is there a reason that the fuel excise was set at a flat value (that raised in line with something) instead of a percentage ?

Little Johnny wanted to win the 2001 election. He set it at 38c a litre which remained frozen at that price forever. It used to rise with inflation I believe.

Fredescu

But the mainstream left have NO equivalent to the blatant denial of history and science that has poisoned a fair amount of the mainstream right particularly in the US but also here.

The Tea Party sure are crazy. Anti GMO nutters tend to be of the left though, and anti vaxxers commonly are too. As for history, I'm not sure if it's as common now, but you used to hear a lot of denial about the conditions in soviet russia, cuba, etc.

I think for a majority that identifies "left", that the evidence currently supports a lot of their views is merely a convenience. Lets say we magically start heading to the left policy wise, and a few years later some studies come out suggesting we're spending too much on public education or welfare or whatever else. The majority of the denialism will come from the left, some may believe the studies but believe we shouldn't fix the problem because it will be a slippery slope, some will discredit them, some will never believe them even if the evidence continues to pile up.

I say "magically" because I totally agree with you that we're way to the right of where we need to be, and I can't see the direction changing without the shit hitting the fan in some major way, probably beyond our lifetimes. My point is just that I think it's more important to identify with evidence and determining what works and what's right than with any particular broad political movement.

Myansie

Little Johnny wanted to win the 2001 election. He set it at 38c a litre which remained frozen at that price forever. It used to rise with inflation I believe.

Our fundamental disagreement is you think the fuel excise will have a real and meaningful impact on fuel consumption and I believe the impact in that regard will be tiny unless we provide a meaningful alternative.

The carbon tax was useful because it used the revenues raised to compensate families so there living expenses remained level. It's difficult for families to reduce their energy consumption compared to power plants cutting pollution. On the polluter end there expenditures had increased and the easiest way to cut them was to reduce their co2 emissions.

With the fuel index in its current form it increases cost of living particularly on lower incomes, but provides no alternative or compensation in return. It's only purpose is to collect revenue.

hidys

The Tea Party sure are crazy. Anti GMO nutters tend to be of the left though, and anti vaxxers commonly are too. As for history, I'm not sure if it's as common now, but you used to hear a lot of denial about the conditions in soviet russia, cuba, etc.

I think for a majority that identifies "left", that the evidence currently supports a lot of their views is merely a convenience. Lets say we magically start heading to the left policy wise, and a few years later some studies come out suggesting we're spending too much on public education or welfare or whatever else. The majority of the denialism will come from the left, some may believe the studies but believe we shouldn't fix the problem because it will be a slippery slope, some will discredit them, some will never believe them even if the evidence continues to pile up.

I say "magically" because I totally agree with you that we're way to the right of where we need to be, and I can't see the direction changing without the shit hitting the fan in some major way, probably beyond our lifetimes. My point is just that I think it's more important to identify with evidence and determining what works and what's right than with any particular broad political movement.

It is true that Anti-GMO nutter are of the left but they are a minority and can't really be compared to the enormous amounts of climate change deniers on the right. Anti-vaxxers appear on both sides and are a minority in each. The vast majority of the left haven't denied the communist atrocities ever and those who did have largely fallen by the wayside. This doesn't compare to the compare to the veracity which some on the right deny the Stolen generation.

John Quiggin wrote some interesting thoughts on this matter here

hidys

Our fundamental disagreement is you think the fuel excise will have a real and meaningful impact on fuel consumption and I believe the impact in that regard will be tiny unless we provide a meaningful alternative.

The carbon tax was useful because it used the revenues raised to compensate families so there living expenses remained level. It's difficult for families to reduce their energy consumption compared to power plants cutting pollution. On the polluter end there expenditures had increased and the easiest way to cut them was to reduce their co2 emissions.

With the fuel index in its current form it increases cost of living particularly on lower incomes, but provides no alternative or compensation in return. It's only purpose is to collect revenue.

If that is your position than you fundamentally misunderstand the power of incentives and your argument flies in the face of all the evidence we have in regards to taxation. There are plenty of motorists (not all) that possess alternatives to using their car for every single journey and their is the potential for some individuals to drive more efficient cars.

The productivity commission even states that fuel excise effectively acts in the same way as a carbon tax.

Fredescu

If you believe there will be a non zero impact, given the nature of the current government you would have to accept that as a win. Voting down anything that isn't perfect is just terrible politics. Incremental improvements are all you're ever going to get at the moment. Price signals do have a habit of working.

John Quiggin wrote some interesting thoughts on this matter here

I agree with his point about the way it is right now, as I said before. Any disagreement with wanting to increase wealth distribution on the grounds that some on the left are Anti GMO is obviously stupid. Yet, I can imagine Quiggin would change his mind as the evidence changes. It is possible to go too far the other way. I think the primary things we should be champions of is evidence based policy. That should come well before being champions of wealth distribution.

Myansie

If you believe there will be a non zero impact, given the nature of the current government you would have to accept that as a win. Voting down anything that isn't perfect is just terrible politics. Incremental improvements are all you're ever going to get at the moment. Price signals do have a habit of working.

Yes, the improvement is incremental and normally I'd be ok with that. The negative of this is we're hitting the lower income earners to do it. The tax is unfortunately regressive and being ideologically egalitarian I find this unfair. Particularly when the pay off is a cup cake. The reason I brought up in earlier posts both the mining fuel subsidy and the carbon tax is we can bring about much greater results pollution saving wise without hammering everyday people.

Again I'd be fine with the excise if it were being directed towards public transport. I concede you and Hidys have an argument that the next government could redirect the subsidy for that purpose and that's gnawing at me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom