• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Which kind, the kind where Morrison admits it or the kind where the boat just silently disappears and we infer it from the hole it left behind :p

well morrison is never going to admit it if true because it's not a significant event because he hasn't admitted it

lexi

Banned
Asylum Seeker Resource Centre (ASRC)
UPDATE: Reports 153 Tamil asylum seekers handed over to Sri Lankan Navy. If this is true the Australian Gov has just handed over people to the very government they claim is torturing them, without assessing their refugee claims. Downright murderous & evil.
http://t.co/vhX6LoYPMj

If this is true, our government has just reached a new level of barbaric.

Can we get some UN intervention here? Can they send the dudes in baby blue helmets? Alternatively, can someone invade us?

Yagharek

Can we get some UN intervention here? Can they send the dudes in baby blue helmets? Alternatively, can someone invade us?

Probably hinges on some kind of war crime charges being brought against the Sri Lankan gov't over their recent civil war.

DrSlek

I leave the county for a month and the government turns into fucking comic book supervillains.

I'd liken Tony Abbott to Lex Luthor but that would be accusing him of intelligence.

Dead Man

Janet Albrechtsen frontrunner for position to nominate ABC and SBS board members

Conservative commentator Janet Albrechtsen has emerged as a frontunner for an influential position overseeing appointments to the ABC and SBS boards.

The four-person nomination panel, which is appointed by the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet, currently has two vacancies.

Under the merit-based board appointment process introduced by Labor in 2011, the nomination panel provides the government with a shortlist of around three candidates for vacant board positions. SBS currently has two vacant board positions - including the position of chairman - and the ABC has one vacant position.

Ms Albrechtsen, a columnist with The Australian, confirmed she had been in discussions about the role but said: ''Nothing has been finalised.''

Ms Albrechtsen, who regularly criticises the ABC for alleged bias in her columns, was a member of the ABC board from 2005 to 2010 after being appointed by the Howard government.

The terms of the other two nomination panel members, businessman David Gonski and former diplomat Ric Smith, expire next year.

A spokesman for Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull referred questions to the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet.

Yagharek

She's good at her job, but that would be approaching massive conflict of interest when her employer, Rupert, is viciously campaigning to undermine the public broadcasting corps.

Dryk

I leave the county for a month and the government turns into fucking comic book supervillains.

I'd liken Tony Abbott to Lex Luthor but that would be accusing him of intelligence.
They turned into comic book villains when they formed an anti-climate coalition with Canada. That's straight up Captain Planet bullshit.

Dead Man

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/news/c...cial-media-storm/story-fnjpusyw-1226974567522

WHO would have thought that one little car park would create such a public furore?

Cairns MP Gavin King said he had not ruled out taking legal action against the person who posted a picture on Facebook of his car parked in what appeared to be a disabled parking space at The Pier.

The incident took place on Monday while Mr King was attending a Queensland Police Service media event.

While subsequent investigations by Cairns Regional Council have shown Mr King was not in the wrong, the incident has set social media and public debate alight.

565951-b87e9388-001c-11e4-9992-0807e2bd5ec1.jpg
More at the link

They don't ever learn, do they? :/

Dead Man

Personally I'm far more interested to learn why he wasn't in the wrong.

Apparently it isn't a marked disabled space at the moment. Non policed area according to the council. I think it is going to be a disabled space but isn't yet, or something.

Arksy

I have to ask but is there any real consequence for us violating this treaty, other than the general scorn of the rest of the world?

Do you want the simple answer or the international law answer?

Simply: In practice, no consequence. In theory, we could be invaded.

bomma_man

Do you want the simple answer or the international law answer?

Simply: In practice, no consequence. In theory, we could be invaded.

Basically this. International law is peer pressure. And I don't think any first world nation really wants to condem us on this issue. They'd probably the same thing if it was politically viable.

Is this reality?

At least 71 babies have been or will be sent to Christmas Island after their asylum seeker mothers were brought to the mainland to give birth.

Two unaccompanied minors living in the northern suburbs were picked up by Immigration late last week and put into detention, which prompted 12 other asylum seekers to flee in fear of meeting the same fate.

It sure seems like a fucked up state of affairs to be treating living creatures like this.

Also how the fuck is Clive Palmer the one to make a lot of sense right now? Where the fuck are Labor?

wonzo

Banned
Albo got the majority of the vote from the rank and file but alas the cabinet had other ideas. What a joke of a party.

Shaneus

If they weren't cowards they would have. Albo is about the only Labor member worth a fuck, and even he has been awfully quiet at the behest of the party. They should be ashamed of themselves.
Exactly. I was pissed when I first heard my local sided with Shorten.

But refusal to indicate a commitment in that context is effectively saying that he'd do precisely the thing he was asked about. If you're asked if you'd do a clearly heinous thing and you dodge the question that's effectively saying you would at least consider it otherwise there'd be no reason not to give a clear negative.

mjontrix

Obviously he'd do the same thing. The media would butcher him and the party otherwise.

We're having about a decade or two of this btw if the phases that Aboriginals went through are a guide.

(I'm for sending them back, providing there are actual proper checks to ensure they're not just going back to be shot).

And why are they coming all the way to Australia for? If anyone can explain the last bit (since I haven't heard anything about it) it would be much appreciated.

Dead Man

Obviously he'd do the same thing. The media would butcher him and the party otherwise.

We're having about a decade or two of this btw if the phases that Aboriginals went through are a guide.

(I'm for sending them back, providing there are actual proper checks to ensure they're not just going back to be shot).

And why are they coming all the way to Australia for? If anyone can explain the last bit (since I haven't heard anything about it) it would be much appreciated.

Jesus.

Dryk

I like how you can just insert "Against" into most of the cabinets titles and they make just as much if not more sense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom