• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like Bernadi's popping off at his press conference. Dunno about what though.

I saw Bernardi and changed channel straight away. He actually has some vaguely interesting things to say about the dearth of democracy at times but he dresses it up in his tea-party faux grassroots nonsense and I lose interest quickly.

So the tax has been axed but the compensation has been kept, doesn't seem to fit the whole adults in charge, budget emergency story. It's almost like they were desperate to win an election at any cost! I wonder which of out brave newly deregulated universities will come out with the first course in Hockeynomics, should be a riot.

Dryk

When the thread inveitably gets made we should resurrect that line I saw on Twitter on election night that was something like "Australia votes itself out of existence"

Jintor

I do recall a Pratchett line about a society being granted democracy and promptly voting to return to authoritarianism

Bernadi talking about term limits for senators, executive only to be lower house, political donation disclosure, national database for disclosure of spending of funding. weirrrrrrrrrrd

When the thread inveitably gets made we should resurrect that line I saw on Twitter on election night that was something like "Australia votes itself out of existence"

This is pretty great.

Edit:

From that Lenore Taylor article on the Guardian:

The government did win an election promising to “axe the tax”. But did the voters who backed the slogan really intend that Australia be left with no climate change policy at all?

The answer to this question is "yeah basically bro".

Well the Government is doing well in delivering in its core election promises. It has now been able to:

- To stop the boats
and to
- To axe the tax

Can't wait to see what the bump is in the polls!

(if there isn't any significant in poll bumpage I'm not sure what the government can do ... perhaps declare the budget emergency over shortly before the election thanks to their fantastic fiscal measures and shower us with spending?)

Yeah it sucks that there fucking up the nbn (saw some rollout the other day) but it is true as turnbull says that phone reception is awful in the country and a much more important (and cheaper) fix in the mean time. Of course i want the nbn, but its more of a nerdy first world issue for now that most dont care about. Where as everyone who lives in rural areas is impacted by their shite reception.

Pope's imagery is a lot strong than FirstDog, but I think "Australie" is a bit overly blunt

Is that a reference to the revolution or current shit politics France I don't get it lol

Well the Government is doing well in delivering in its core election promises. It has now been able to:

- To stop the boats
and to
- To axe the tax

Can't wait to see what the bump is in the polls!

(if there isn't any significant in poll bumpage I'm not sure what the government can do ... perhaps declare the budget emergency over shortly before the election thanks to their fantastic fiscal measures and shower us with spending?)

I really doubt there will be a significant bump in the polls. Boat peoples is hard to gauge with its significance in the community often said to be overestimated by the politico but then again... anyway apparently it's never really caused any shifts in the poll when the policies themselves have shifted dramatically so..

and on axing the tax, not breaking his election promises is good for Abbott but I think keeping them is a bit of a non-issue too nahmean. If a politician doesn't do what they said they would do they're fucked, if they do do it then meh gimme something else

It seems to me like the Abbott govt are showing they are and are going to continue being, much better at weathering unpopularity in government than Labor. Barring a lot of errors and controversies they should go the distance with their tough budget out of the way, a slight correcting one next year and then the populist budget for the election year.

Dead Man

Yeah it sucks that there fucking up the nbn (saw some rollout the other day) but it is true as turnbull says that phone reception is awful in the country and a much more important (and cheaper) fix in the mean time. Of course i want the nbn, but its more of a nerdy first world issue for now that most dont care about. Where as everyone who lives in rural areas is impacted by their shite reception.

Too bad we can't do both at once :/

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Rural areas also benefit disproportionately from the more widespread availability of high quality networking infrastructure. Plus the retention of said infrastructure in a public monopoly. Labor's NBN was one of their key policies in terms of winning the support of the independents during the last Parliament.

Too bad we can't do both at once :/

Also this.

Yagharek

I found a fantastic article on immigration today that I'm going to share. Once I'm not on mobile.

http://theaimn.com/facts-boat-people-government-media-lying/

Are they ‘jumping the queue’?

No. There’s no such thing as a queue. Anyone who wants to claim asylum must leave their home country first. So all asylum seekers flee to other countries. Some overland, some by plane, some by boat. Some come to Australia, some go to other countries. This is the standard way to seek asylum. These people are called ‘onshore applicants’.

Sadly, a lot of refugees are very, very poor, so their only option is to travel overland to a neighbouring country. That’s why countries like Kenya and Ethiopia have huge refugee camps (because of trouble in neighbouring Somalia).

Sometimes refugees are resettled in a country other than the one they fled to. E.g. Someone might be resettled from a refugee camp to Australia. These people are called ‘offshore applicants’. This is something we voluntarily do to supplement the standard ‘onshore’ process. Again, resettling refugees from refugee camps is a voluntary act. Australia does it to share the refugee load with other countries. Accepting asylum seekers who come directly to Australia is our legal obligation.

Unfortunately, Australia’s policy is that when we accept an onshore refugee (i.e. an asylum seeker who arrives in Australia by plane or boat), a place is deducted from the offshore program (i.e. there’s one less place for people being moved from refugee camps). No other country in the world does this. In other words, it’s policy that takes places from camp refugees, not ‘boat people’.

Bolded makes a big impact on the supposed claim about wanting to help people that multiple govts have made. If that were the case, positions wouldn't be taken away from other programs just because of boat arrivals.

Arksy

http://theaimn.com/facts-boat-people-government-media-lying/

Bolded makes a big impact on the supposed claim about wanting to help people that multiple govts have made. If that were the case, positions wouldn't be taken away from other programs just because of boat arrivals.

We have a maximum overall humanitarian intake. This is mandated by law, we can not exceed the yearly cap. Obviously this can be changed but the government wants to prioritise skilled migration. That's why the cap exists on the humanitarian intake.

John Howard once said that Australia required a huge migration intake in order to maintain its economy and way of life, and that the only way that people would accept large numbers of migrants was to make sure people believed they had control of their borders, which is why he was so aggressive about irregular arrivals, because they undermined that sentiment.

Yagharek

We have a maximum overall humanitarian intake. This is mandated by law, we can not exceed the yearly cap. Obviously this can be changed but the government wants to prioritise skilled migration. That's why the cap exists on the humanitarian intake.

OK, so you demonstrated the ability to repeat the quoted article's point. They may want to "prioritise skilled migration" but they also demonstrate humanitarian intake is an afterthought.

John Howard once said that Australia required a huge migration intake in order to maintain its economy and way of life, and that the only way that people would accept large numbers of migrants was to make sure people believed they had control of their borders, which is why he was so aggressive about irregular arrivals, because they undermined that sentiment.

I don't know about the ingredients necessary to maintain the economy, but is that how they justify letting certain visas get approved so Gina Rinhart can pay them minimum wage?

Now this pisses me off, earlier a lib dude said the carbon tax brang in fuck all revenue, just before a labor lady said it brang in a significant amount, how can facts be interpreted so wildly differently it either did or it didnt god one is clearly lieing. Need the karl pilkington bull shit man in there.

also a labor lady earlier.... "why has the gov backflipped on the rollout out of the N........(nbn!!!!!)....DIS" lol massive deflation there.

Dryk

If I had to take a stab at it I'd say that the party arguing that the carbon tax simultaneously earned no revenue and destroyed the economy is probably wrong on at least one of those counts

Jintor

Maybe it's just because I feel kinda ill today just in general, but the sight of Abbott makes me want to throw up today

hell, extend that to politicians in general. Abbott, Palmer, Jacqui or whatever her name is, Shorten - makes me feel completely nauseous

First time in this thread today, visiting canberra got my interest, but can a mod rename it the "bitter lefty clique official thread"? Now im not a fan of either side (legit) they both have been shit in there most recent terms generally but resulting to saying shit like "lol a politician makes me feel sick" is just mental and really shits of the good commentary within here.

Edit- yes abbott is a fuckwit with shit policies and absolutely fucking over those who need it least, but c mon labor had a good crack and got destroyed in the last election.....because they were rubbish and fucked up nearly every policy they enacted.

Danoss

As much as image macros can be shitty and irritating, this one is on point.

iAFLTsf.jpg

lexi

Banned
First time in this thread today, visiting canberra got my interest, but can a mod rename it the "bitter lefty clique official thread"? Now im not a fan of either side (legit) they both have been shit in there most recent terms generally but resulting to saying shit like "lol a politician makes me feel sick" is just mental and really shits of the good commentary within here.

Edit- yes abbott is a fuckwit with shit policies and absolutely fucking over those who need it least, but c mon labor had a good crack and got destroyed in the last election.....because they were rubbish and fucked up nearly every policy they enacted.

False equivalency strikes again.

Jintor

Oh zark off. The one time I relax enough to say what I actually feel instead of guarding my speech to try and give all sides some imagined fair shake and you shit all over me.

False equivalency strikes again.

Snarky reply....classic, way to reinforce the point, all i want is to read and occasionally participate in some good discussion. Cheers. If this is backseat modding then section 94a my ass, i think my point is clear and good natured.

Jintor, as i said this is my first time here and i dont mean to shit on you, but come one mate hes just another human your being so melodramatic saying he makes you actually feel sick.

Jintor

Labor got destroyed at the last election because they couldn't handle the media barrage, the voting public have the collective memory of a concussed sheep, and nobody thought Abbott was nearly as fucking mental as he's proved to be

Jintor, as i said this is my first time here and i dont mean to shit on you, but come one mate hes just another human your being so melodramatic saying he makes you actually feel sick.

I can feel the bile rise in my throat, what else do you want me to describe it as? I did mention that I am also actually feeling ill... think of it as objective reporting if you must

Dead Man

If we can exist with Arksy, I'm sure you can exist with us. Stop whining though.

Labor got destroyed at the last election because they couldn't handle the media barrage, the voting public have the collective memory of a concussed sheep, and nobody thought Abbott was nearly as fucking mental as he's proved to be

I can feel the bile rise in my throat, what else do you want me to describe it as? I did mention that I am also actually feeling ill... think of it as objective reporting if you must

Now thats very presumptive and sorta offensive to assume the majority of voters are dopey sheep who only read to front page when voting, most people actually have brains and employ critrical thinking when voting, when labor get in will that be these same concussed sheep voting them in? or do those people suddenly forget to vote?

Yah dead man i dont want to upset the established order, but really some of these posts are crazy, be glad we live in a stable democracy unlike say over half the worlds population, we have it pretty good generally.

Jintor

I don't believe for a second that the majority of people employ critical thinking skills when voting. Perhaps a larger proportion than I give credit to, but most people probably couldn't even describe to you the Westminster system of parliament if you asked them.

Yah dead man i dont want to upset the established order, but really some of these posts are crazy, be glad we live in a stable democracy unlike say over half the worlds population, we have it pretty good generally.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we're not in a perpetual state of civil war, but that doesn't mean we can just sit back and be complacent with what we've got

I don't believe for a second that the majority of people employ critical thinking skills when voting. Perhaps a larger proportion than I give credit to, but most people probably couldn't even describe to you the Westminster system of parliament if you asked them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we're not in a perpetual state of civil war, but that doesn't mean we can just sit back and be complacent with what we've got

True. but the way you worded it reminded me of the simpsons "hey you...join the navy" "better do what he says" most people use more thought than that.

Jintor

It's the contradiction I keep running into in various facets of life; most people make decisions that on a micro-level make perfect sense for them, but fuck everything up on the macro level. Self-interest is of course a pretty natural and arguably rational response to vote for, but people in general don't have the presence of mind to extrapolate out to the ramnifications policy decisions have on a societal level.

True. but the way you worded it reminded me of the simpsons "hey you...join the navy" "better do what he says" most people use more thought than that.

I've always felt like part of the joke in that scene is that, on some level, the viewer believes something like that might actually work

Tommy DJ

Completely disenfranchised voters generally don't care about politics so long as they get fed or paid. With how a lot of university students respond to politics, in general, I don't believe for a second that a lot of them respond coherently to policies or are particularly well informed. We get the typical result of people voting against their own interests either because they believe stereotypes ("Liberals are good for the economy") or don't actually read into policies outside what News Limited or Fairfax posts in their newspapers. Those summaries are generally utterly inadequate and sometimes advertise policies completely incorrectly.

The uni thing really pisses me off, obviously ill sound like a greeny naive dreamer here, but how do places like scotland, norway etc do free uni, yet we cant, and can it be restored before we go too far down the deregulation path? Like how do they make it sustainable.

Tommy DJ

Scandinavia? Extremely high taxes where a large chunk is a contribution fund of sorts that increases when you earn a higher income. There are also a lot of other taxes that take advantage of whatever natural resources they have. This is particularly obvious with Norway, which has a natural resources tax which goes to invest in things that will help Norway in the future when such resources do not exist anymore.

Scandinavia? Extremely high taxes where a large chunk is a contribution fund of sorts that increases when you earn a higher income. There are also a lot of other taxes that take advantage of whatever natural resources they have. This is particularly obvious with Norway, which has a natural resources tax which goes to invest in things that will help Norway in the future when such resources do not exist anymore.

Yeah coz my dads always like "nothing comes free" even though it was free for him.

Dryk

Now thats very presumptive and sorta offensive to assume the majority of voters are dopey sheep who only read to front page when voting, most people actually have brains and employ critrical thinking when voting, when labor get in will that be these same concussed sheep voting them in? or do those people suddenly forget to vote?
No it tends to be different concussed sheep. If people employed critical thinking skills when voting we'd have fact based policy instead of the populist nonsense we're stuck with and demonstrably false talking points wouldn't be the main drivers of public debate.

It's the contradiction I keep running into in various facets of life; most people make decisions that on a micro-level make perfect sense for them, but fuck everything up on the macro level. Self-interest is of course a pretty natural and arguably rational response to vote for, but people in general don't have the presence of mind to extrapolate out to the ramnifications policy decisions have on a societal level.
Our brains just aren't good enough at thinking about things on that scale, we're just not physiologically equipped to handle the effects of society on the scale its grown to. It's going to get worse and worse as the barrier for entry to informed debate on topics grows larger. I shudder to think what would happen if Rowland and Molina were doing their seminal research today instead of 40 years ago.

Tommy DJ

Whitlam's decision to abolish university fees was an effort to encourage marginalized and disadvantaged groups to take part in higher education. From what I know, this didn't really work too well with those in weak socioeconomic backgrounds but it definitely encouraged a lot of middle class women to seek education that they generally would not have taken.

It just depends on what the nation wants to spend its money on and what they hope to achieve. For Australia, we prefer to spend millions treating asylum seekers worse than recyclable waste and billions on a fighter jet proven to be inadequate in every way possible - money spent on hunting bogeymen that will 100% produce zero economic benefit.

Scandinavian welfare states are not as good at the glory days of the 1950s and 1960s, where they had their cake and ate it too. I can't really verify but economists claim bloated bureaucracy and higher dependence on social security is forcing the higher taxes they see today. Whatever the rate of taxation, people appear to tolerate it because its generally spent on investing in a long term vision. We have none of that foresight in Australia.

W For Australia, we prefer to spend millions treating asylum seekers worse than recyclable waste and billions on a fighter jet proven to be inadequate in every way possible - money spent on hunting bogeymen that will 100% produce zero economic benefit.

Lol im following every post ill stfu soon. but id say backdoor diplomacy has a lot to do with that. "will have your back if you buy our planes" "will do xyz if you buy them".

Plus it helps us keep up our international obligations (i know you guys like that term) with peacekeeping etc maybe.

Dead Man

Lol im following every post ill stfu soon. but id say backdoor diplomacy has a lot to do with that. "will have your back if you buy our planes" "will do xyz if you buy them".

Plus it helps us keep up our international obligations (i know you guys like that term) with peacekeeping etc maybe.

If we have to pay for protection, it is nothing but organised crime. Still a shithouse justification considering all the other things that actually need money spent on them.

Dryk

Our diplomatic interactions with the US tend to be rather one-sided in any case

Word on the grapevine is that Abbott is getting crucified on 7:30, anybody watching?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom