• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dryk

They do mention reliability in the context of remote monitoring of the elderly, but mark it as fully served by both FTTN and FTTP

Arksy

This country has non-existant tech industry and I don't think that there is anything anyone can do to change that.

Which makes me sad.

Quasar

This country has non-existant tech industry and I don't think that there is anything anyone can do to change that.

Which makes me sad.

I don't know if thats true, depending on your definition of 'tech industry'. Of course the mass production of any consumer item is hard given economies of scale and wages in Australia versus parts of asia.

My biggest problem with an NBN Cost-Benefit Analysis is the biggest benefits are unimagined, and unimaginable.

The people who are going to imagine, develop and realise the greatest benefit from the NBN are only just being born.

They're going to be raised in a digital, connected world, and come to use that digital connectedness in ways that we can't imagine.

So unless there's a line item for "Unimaginable, world-shaping, concept-changing future developments", there doesn't seem to be much point.

Arksy

I don't know if thats true, depending on your definition of 'tech industry'. Of course the mass production of any consumer item is hard given economies of scale and wages in Australia versus parts of asia.

But what about tech services? It kind of dawned on me when i was in Seattle and saw this massive building with "Expedia" written on it. Or Ask.com in Oakland. What apps/online services have we pioneered?

Inventions? What technology have we developed and built? The last one I can rememember is WiFi by the CSIRO...

Software development? Do we have any big name developers here?

Fredescu

Expedia is an interesting example because Wotif came along first and was developed in Australia.

Atlassian were a large software developer based in Australia, but have since moved to the UK.

Expedia can crush Wotif because American companies can quickly expand domestically due to the size of their market. Once they're ready to expand internationally, they have a large warchest to do that with.

Atlassian, and other software companies, need to sell their software internationally for the same reason. In global terms our wages are very high, mostly due to our overvalued dollar. Developing software is the same as manufacturing and has problems here for the same reasons.

Arksy

Expedia is an interesting example because Wotif came along first and was developed in Australia.

Atlassian were a large software developer based in Australia, but have since moved to the UK.

Expedia can crush Wotif because American companies can quickly expand domestically due to the size of their market. Once they're ready to expand internationally, they have a large warchest to do that with.

Atlassian, and other software companies, need to sell their software internationally for the same reason. In global terms our wages are very high, mostly due to our overvalued dollar. Developing software is the same as manufacturing and has problems here for the same reasons.

That is interesting.

We do have a tech industry but it's small. The point is its not enough to really grow and make a big dent on our economy on a wide scale. We need big industries in Australia aside from Agriculture and primary resources.

The problem is I don't know how were we're going to achieve anything of the sorts.

Gazunta

Not only that, but you just TRY and grow a tech business here in Australia. It's maddening how you're treated as a weird anomaly in business and government circles. No help and constantly being passed from one department to the other. Maybe we're technology. Maybe we're media. Maybe we're arts. Maybe we're infrastructure. It's not any direct hostility - it's just that tech is so out of their frame of reference they have no idea how to handle you.

><

Fredescu

The problem is I don't know how were we're going to achieve anything of the sorts.

With our overvalued dollar, you're not going to be able to sell anything to the rest of the world that isn't specifically Australian. I assume you're ideologically opposed to government "smoothing" but we really needed a huge mining tax to help prop other other industries while the boom continues. Once demand for minerals slows down, our economy will be gutted and we'll have widespread structural unemployment, and presumably a government driven attitude towards dole bludgers that leads to the popularity of things like "work for the dole" that actually makes re employment harder.

Arksy

With our overvalued dollar, you're not going to be able to sell anything to the rest of the world that isn't specifically Australian. I assume you're ideologically opposed to government "smoothing" but we really needed a huge mining tax to help prop other other industries while the boom continues. Once demand for minerals slows down, our economy will be gutted and we'll have widespread structural unemployment, and presumably a government driven attitude towards dole bludgers that leads to the popularity of things like "work for the dole" that actually makes re employment harder.

Well our economy is basically gutted already. Professionals graduating at an alarming rate to bottlenecked industries which are laying off dozens of more experienced people. Going to be a huge surplus in semi-skilled labour after the car companies shut down. Retail has slowed dramatically.

For all this talk of dodging the GFC I feel like we've just had a delayed reaction. Meanwhile here in the US there's still scars of 08 highly visible in some areas but the economy is recovering. Firms are starting to hire and a lot of building projects are just getting started.

Fredescu

Well our economy is basically gutted already.

Yeah, that's why "needed" was past tense. It needed to happen in the 90s when the boom started. Instead, the government at the time spent the money on tax cuts and so forth. I believe governments should be spending big in downturns and cutting spending in boom times, but the opposite happens and it hurts us.

Arksy

Yeah, that's why "needed" was past tense. It needed to happen in the 90s when the boom started. Instead, the government at the time spent the money on tax cuts and so forth. I believe governments should be spending big in downturns and cutting spending in boom times, but the opposite happens and it hurts us.

I don't have an issue with it per se, I just feel that every time the government tries to steer the economy they cock it up and it ends in some form of mitigated disaster.

I don't really know what anyone can do at this point. There could very well be a discovery or invention which revitalises an entire economy but unless it gets really bad. I don't think that will happen. I just don't think are diverse enough anymore to withstand a downturn in our biggest industries.

Fredescu

I don't have an issue with it per se, I just feel that every time the government tries to steer the economy they cock it up and it ends in some form of mitigated disaster.

I would never suggest that government action always works, or even that it is always prudent, but I think "the law of unintended consequences" can apply equally to inaction. I don't think we'd have too go to far to find examples of where we could have done something, but instead did nothing, and that lead to some form of mitigated disaster.

The examples where government decisions result in a cock up is I think often the result of party politics, either wanting to let something run on for too long, or killing it before it can work. I think I've mentioned before how I'd love if it were possible to depoliticise certain decisions. Maybe a policy gets implemented and it's not working. Turning it off shouldn't be a gotcha for the opposition party. I wouldn't even know where to start with making that happen. Some kind of fundamental alteration of human nature would no doubt be required.

Another one bites the dust
And another one gone, and another one gone
Hey, I'm gonna get you, too

9th Lib gone on the northern/central coast.

Bart Bassett off to the cross benches. Is there anyone left up there? What is it about that area of NSW, Obeid/Tripodi on one side and just about everyone on the other?

Fredescu

I don't really know what anyone can do at this point. There could very well be a discovery or invention which revitalises an entire economy but unless it gets really bad. I don't think that will happen. I just don't think are diverse enough anymore to withstand a downturn in our biggest industries.

Agreed on both points.

I'm don't agree that it's a delayed GFC reaction. It's our own little structural problem.

Fredescu

Basically we need to dramatically increase the living standard in Indonesia and then sell a lot of shit to them. That will be a nice large local market.

hidys

Agreed on both points.

I'm don't agree that it's a delayed GFC reaction. It's our own little structural problem.

One might (with some leap of logic) say that the high dollar is related to the GFC, but that is only because investors feel confident enough to invest in our economy because of how well our country handled the GFC. Other than that though it is pretty hard to argue the GFC has anything to do with our current predicament.

Also is Bart Bassett resigning from parliament or just the party?

Arksy

We are legally independent. We've been independent ever since we signed the Australia Act into law in 1986. The referendum in 1999 was to become a republic.

I'm fairly sure that if Scotland votes to become independent they would be giving up the Queen. Not entirely sure though.

The referendum in 99 was never going to pass. People won't fix what isn't broken, and the case for change was uncertain... Two factors that almost guarantee a no.

bomma_man

We are legally independent. We've been independent ever since we signed the Australia Act into law in 1986. The referendum in 1999 was to become a republic.

I'm fairly sure that if Scotland votes to become independent they would be giving up the Queen. Not entirely sure though.

The referendum in 99 was never going to pass. People won't fix what isn't broken, and the case for change was uncertain... Two factors that almost guarantee a no.

And the proposed system (an unelected president) was never going to fly, despite the somewhat reasonable thought behind it.

Jintor

If we're legally independent, then does the gg's power not derive from the Queen but rather technically from our system of government?

SmartBase

There is a world of difference between what the Scottish are proposing (which I'm personally against) and what should have happened in '99.

Obviously they have nothing to do with each other but I still find the constitutional question amusing.

"The Yes camp still doesn't seem to have clarified what would happen to the monarchy," Professor Stewart said.

"They may mean a revival of the Scottish monarchy, inviting Queen Elizabeth II to take it on, so that there would once again be a personal union of the crowns."

Professor Stewart said that meant "a single person [would sit] on both thrones of the [separate] monarchies of Scotland and [the] remaining Britain - as there was for Scotland and England before the two countries united under a single throne in 1707".

He said if that occurred, then "there would no longer be any sovereignty of the United Kingdom on which Australia could draw for its own head of state".

"Whatever Queen Elizabeth II or her successor may do, they would not occupy a throne of the 'United Kingdom', which is how Australian constitutional law defines our head of state."

And I'm going to stop posting late at night, ugh.

Arksy

If we're legally independent, then does the gg's power not derive from the Queen but rather technically from our system of government?

Yes. The constituon exists at the behest of the people. We voted it in and we can get rid of it. We did vote on the question over whether to ditch the Queen. In my mind the People > Queen but I've been engaged in pitched battles with other constitutional experts on this question...some who agree and others who do not.

bomma_man

Whether this would be constituonally problematic.. I could look into it....but I don't have an answer on hand.

Technically they wouldn't be officers of the commonwealth would they? They're employed by the states. Plus the court has constantly read that section as narrowly as possible.

Arksy

Technically they wouldn't be officers of the commonwealth would they? They're employed by the states. Plus the court has constantly read that section as narrowly as possible.

They have. I kind of skimped over it in my excitement to read the anti-federal part of the case but Williams v Cth does say that no religious test for an office of the Commonwewlth was being employed here but I'm not sure why...I'll have to look into it.

bomma_man

They have. I kind of skimped over it in my excitement to read the anti-federal part of the case but Williams v Cth does say that no religious test for an office of the Commonwewlth was being employed here but I'm not sure why...I'll have to look into it.

From memory it was barely given a paragraph.

Tommy DJ

It could very well be there. Question #1 if another team started with the same parameters and assumptions and went through the same methodology.. Would the same result be found? If yes, (Question #2) is there an issue with the parameters & assumptions? This sort of analysis shouldn't be too difficult for other experts and I'm going to await their comments/anaylsis but until then...

Thinking about the issue further, the report is flawed from the very start with the methodology. Depending on how you look at telecommunication infrastructure like fiber, its very easy to argue that using a cost/benefit analysis is wrong. The reasoning is that you can't put a cost or benefit on uses that do not even exist or are extremely new (eg. big data and sharing huge geographic information datasets are two that quickly come to mind). This combined with the present day focus of the report results in a conclusion that most people in AusPoliGAF predicted.

When they laid down the copper network in Australia,its doubtful that anyone did a cost/benefit analysis. Of course it probably didn't exist whenever they implemented our copper network in the 20th century but if the current government was in power back then, its possible that it'd never have occurred because "its too expensive and it'll only let people call each other". I don't think anyone could have predicted the internet and everything its brought to the people and businesses alike. I don't think they could have even predicted fax machines.

But even then, as AusPol has noted, they make some pretty big omissions and assumptions that skew the cost/benefit analysis towards their intended goal: to make the FTTN look like the better option.

They assume a very small growth rate, that internet use compounds at ~4.5% per year. There are other studies using ~30% so someone is out by about an order of magnitude.

mjontrix

Its sad that the ALP is willing to play the National Security Escalation game reliably and they essentially sanction one of their members for not playing along.

ASIO/DSD would start leaking out so much shit about the offending party to the media it's not funny - they really do rule the country - except unlike the NSA they're actually competent.

They could take down either political party overnight - hence why they get everything they want.

ASIO/DSD would start leaking out so much shit about the offending party to the media it's not funny - they really do rule the country - except unlike the NSA they're actually competent.

They could take down either political party overnight - hence why they get everything they want.

The funny thing is that while they can threaten that, they can't actually in pracrise do it. Actually doing that would result in them getting reformed no matter if they destroyed both parties because the successors would be utterly unwilling to have the threat hanging over them. Like so much in politics and espionage its power you have only so long as you never use it.

Dryk

They assume a very small growth rate, that internet use compounds at ~4.5% per year. There are other studies using ~30% so someone is out by about an order of magnitude.
Actual stats suggest it's much higher the last few years

Consumption statistics
YOY Growth (re: 1/12)

2010: 50%
2011: 80%
2012: 65%
2013: 56%

YoY Growth (re 1/6)

2011: 77%
2012: 51%
2013: 63%

From Reddit:
i4p2PRQ.png

mjontrix

Honestly I can't say I'm surprised anymore... Have a guess who started the privatization sales in Queensland... (pointed out by someone on Whirlpool).

And google who were the advisors for the upcmoing medibank sales.

The funniest part is that it's not on some weird wacko-conspiracy website...

http://www.smh.com.au/business/mark...-on-medibank-private-ipo-20140829-10a2tf.html

If you ever had doubts on their power worry no more!

And yes, I will definitely get in on the private share offering, along with my father, and anyone else who'll listen and buy what will be the bargain of the century.

wonzo

Banned
Rundle: Ricky Muir, a closet lefty unionist in revhead clothing

But perhaps the greatest surprise was Ricky Muir, the &#8220;revhead&#8221; whose major act to date was to save the Australian Renewable Energy Agency. Indeed, it seems even less likely that Muir is the reliable right-winger of their imaginings, with the Senator revealing that, during his years as a saw miller, he was a member of the Construction, Forestry, Mining and Energy Union &#8201;&#8212;&#8201;the union that the Abbott government is currently trying to bust and eventually deregister. Muir was not only a member of the CFMEU&#8201;&#8212;&#8201;he was a shop steward for it at the East Gippsland saw mill he worked at for a number of years, before his election to the Senate.

Muir hasn&#8217;t been going out of his way to advertise his CFMEU connections&#8201;&#8212;&#8201;it appears in none of the profiles of him published at the time of his election&#8201;&#8212;&#8201;but he doesn&#8217;t try to hide it, either. He confirmed to Crikey that he had been a shop steward for the Forestry division of the CFMEU for around two years in the 2000s, when he worked for the Gunns mill in Heyfield, East Gippsland, now owned by Australian Sustainable Hardwood. Muir says he put his hand up to be shop steward during a round of EAs negotiations, &#8220;to support and help his colleagues&#8221;, and that his fellow employees had had &#8220;concerns around entitlements&#8221;.

The news that Muir is a former bruvver won&#8217;t come as welcome news to the Abbott government, which has had the CFMEU in its sights for some time, running a witch-hunt in which the union is slated for standard business practices&#8201;&#8212;&#8201;establishing strike funds, dealing with dodgy corporate builders on behalf of the members who worked for them, and the like&#8201;&#8212;&#8201;which are constructed as inherently criminal activities.

&#8230;

Muir has praise for the union, saying that they were supportive and there was &#8220;good communication when it was needed, and they provided training&#8221; for the role. Muir says that there was &#8220;generally a good relationship&#8221; between employers and union&#8201;&#8212;&#8201;but sources in the CFMEU say he&#8217;s being polite. &#8220;That wasn&#8217;t a friendly place,&#8221; said one official. &#8220;It would have taken some commitment to be a shoppie there.&#8221; Muir is more circumspect about the current government attacks on the CFMEU (Construction), saying that &#8220;like all unions, they have their place&#8221;&#8201;&#8212;&#8201;which suggests that he would not look favourably on the government&#8217;s ultimate aim, that of deregistration. &#8220;Individuals must be accountable for their actions,&#8221; he told Crikey, which all suggests that he doesn&#8217;t want the union as a whole hung out to dry.

what a tweest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom