• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.smh.com.au/business/mark...-on-medibank-private-ipo-20140829-10a2tf.html

If you ever had doubts on their power worry no more!

And yes, I will definitely get in on the private share offering, along with my father, and anyone else who'll listen and buy what will be the bargain of the century.

Only if they prop it up like they did Telstra, it would have been a disaster for investors if the government hadn't stepped in and kept the price artificially high. But the Coalition being the Coalition its a fairly safe bet they will, since doing so transfers public wealth to the right people unlike welfare.

hidys

M-night-shyamalan.jpg

Have you ever, ever felt like this,
When strange things happen,
Are you going round the twist?

mjontrix

Only if they prop it up like they did Telstra, it would have been a disaster for investors if the government hadn't stepped in and kept the price artificially high. But the Coalition being the Coalition its a fairly safe bet they will, since doing so transfers public wealth to the right people unlike welfare.

Telstra was a 10bil (at the time) partial float aimed at mom and dads, this is a 4bil float that's aimed at the wall street crowd, and the Coalition's friends.

And going by the popularity of IPOs nowadays it's a no brainer. It'll depend on the prospectus though. Buying it on day 1 is a trap though - the money is buying the share parcels previous.

And look how well the Coalition is treating Telstra atm - how do you think they'll be treating medibank?

Arksy

I don't understand how that's a controversial viewpoint?

Australia as we know it wouldn't exist without British Settlement...what exists as Australia would likely have been another country settled by a different world power called something else.

Yes, there were people here before white settlement and yes they were wronged but the defining moment of the country of a whole? I'd personally say something like federation but the arrival of the British fleets is definitely one of our defining moments in history.

I'd take issue if he said it was the "best" moment of our history...but it's hard to argue that it wasn't "defining". Just like the Russian Revolution was a defining moment for Russia, the American Civil War for the US and WW2 for much of Europe.

Tommy DJ

Only a while ago, Abbot's previously made a stupid "Australia was unsettled before the first fleet" comment. It seems this whole issue is just a part of a huge snowball. To me, the indigenous groups condemn Abbott's lack of sensitivity over the plight of indigenous Australia as well as how his comments are only really true for white Australia. If we look at how Abbot is talking about the colonization of Australia, he's definitely talking about it in an overwhelmingly positive tone. So no shit indigenous Australia is a bit offended. To them, he is pretty much saying that it is the "best" moment of our history - he specifically states that it is the defining moment (not one) that brought Australia to the modern world and provided the foundations for one of the most prosperous societies on Earth.

I think their stance is a fair stance to take. After all, we still treat them poorly and still don't particularly care for their culture. In many ways, the public (and government) still treats them as a homogeneous cultural group that does nothing but paint dot paintings.

Re: NBN rumbling. Apparently the NBN Co CEO thinks the NBN analysis is complete bullshit.

Arksy

You're right in that it can be construed as a little insensitive but I still think that he's right. British settlement did pave the way for Australia to be one of the most prosperous countries on the planet. Given the size of Australia, settlement by one of the colonial powers was inevitable and I shudder to think of the outcomes if this place were settled by France, or the Dutch or god forbid, the Belgians. That's not to say that the British were perfect and didn't colossally fuck up. They did...but British liberties and the British way of doing things has served the people living here incredibly well. I don't think we should feel bad for saying that we inherited the best legal system in the world, with parliamentary democracy and constitutional liberty and strong property rights which has given us an incredible way of life. We should feel bad because people are being excluded from the system...but not necessarily because of the system itself.

Still, you're right. The framing is a bit insensitive. Warren Truss seemed to have a bit more tact in his response. I still think it's a massive beat up and people are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Myansie

It's the context. He's praising Imperialism. The English essentially barged in and made the place theirs with a dollop of genocide on the side. As the conquerors it was handie being able to leave that last bit out of our history text books.

Keep in mind Abbott is the Indigenous Affairs minister and ran part of his 2013 campaign on him being a PM for the Aborigines.

Tommy DJ

You're right in that it can be construed as a little insensitive but I still think that he's right. British settlement did pave the way for Australia to be one of the most prosperous countries on the planet. Given the size of Australia, settlement by one of the colonial powers was inevitable and I shudder to think of the outcomes if this place were settled by France, or the Dutch or god forbid, the Belgians. That's not to say that the British were perfect and didn't colossally fuck up. They did...but British liberties and the British way of doing things has served the people living here incredibly well. I don't think we should feel bad for saying that we inherited the best legal system in the world, with parliamentary democracy and constitutional liberty and strong property rights which has given us an incredible way of life. We should feel bad because people are being excluded from the system...but not necessarily because of the system itself.

Still, you're right. The framing is a bit insensitive. Warren Truss seemed to have a bit more tact in his response. I still think it's a massive beat up and people are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Since others have said it more directly, none of what you said matters. If you were an Indigenous Australian, you would still find his comments offensive. The problem is that Tony Abbott is presenting the colonisation of Australia as overwhelmingly positive when it really wasn't and isn't for the people who are actually complaining about it. I don't think very many countries in the world depict imperialism as anything but negative yet here we are.

To a group of marginalized people that suffered, and still suffer (note: native titles aren't really all that fair for indigenous people), from British Imperialism, saying that the British colonisation of Australia is the positive defining point of Australian history that brought it into the modern world is pretty offensive. Shit, I don't know what the fuck he was thinking when he said "it was the moment this continent became part of the modern world" because even I'm pretty offended by it. Its the sort of code word that barely anyone uses these days because hilariously Euro-centric.

I remember the face of an Indonesian exchange student when a Dutch engineering student was telling him about how good the Dutch East India Company was. This is basically what Tony Abbott is doing.

hidys

I'm not surprised sadly.

Though she has talked multiple times about the newstart/dole payment being too low at least. Wonder how that opinion will hold up with the lifters vs. leaners mantra from Hockey and it will go directly against the Murdoch papers and A Current Affair's love of dole bludger stories.

That's fortunate because:

There comes a point when a recession, hopefully a mild one, actually can be quite useful and that's what should have been allowed to be done.

mjontrix

LOOOOOOOOOOOOL be prepared for a new CEO in a few weeks!

I'm starting to think that Malcolm wants the NBN to fail - maybe he wants France Telecom to come in when labour (or whoever else wins the election) brings back the FTTP solution.

He has the brains to pull it off...

Can someone explain what's going on in the tweets?

hidys

LOOOOOOOOOOOOL be prepared for a new CEO in a few weeks!

I'm starting to think that Malcolm wants the NBN to fail - maybe he wants France Telecom to come in when labour (or whoever else wins the election) brings back the FTTP solution.

He has the brains to pull it off...

Can someone explain what's going on in the tweets?

Read the top one by Stephen Koukoulas.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
That's fortunate because:

There comes a point when a recession, hopefully a mild one, actually can be quite useful and that's what should have been allowed to be done.
Thanks, I just read the transcript of that. The government voluntarily issuing CGSs to the capital markets and Australia receiving a special dispensation under Basel III to guarantee deposits because government debt was too low? Rubbish, it didn't happen. We're definitely not going to increase gross public debt over time as the economy grows, because ratings agencies also look at private debt (WTF?!?!?!?!). This Koukoulas guy must be mad.

Plus this gem:
EMMA ALBERICI: It does seem Judith that part of the debate here is around the measure of a Government's success. How you actually define a Government's economic management skills. We have got low unemployment trend growth, a strong investment pipeline, inflation is contained and we've got low interest rates. Doesn't that demonstrate to you some level of competence in this Government's management of the economy?

JUDITH SLOAN: Why the hell would we have been running deficits in the last three years. If it was all so hunky dory.

STEPHEN KOUKOULAS: The deficits have caused those good outcomes Judith.

JUDITH SLOAN: No, no, no, no they haven't.

Kill me now.

DrSlek

An image captured by a friend at a rally in Adelaide over the weekend.

A conspiracy theorist actually wearing a tinfoil hat.

KzqWDx4.jpg

It's quite the shame when nutcases co-opt political movements.

markot

Banned
Why do liberals get to be ideological warriors all the time in government? A wiff from labour of that and the media for crazy.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Rudd was far too gracious a winner, appointing previous Libs to various posts and so forth. Next time the ALP win they need to go for the throat imo.
The shift from right to centre-right would be a seismic one, not sure the country's institutions could cope.

In other news, Brandis is the gift that keeps on giving:
David Marr said:
George Brandis's religious liberty is really about the right to define marriage. The Catholic church’s inclination to censor opposing views on sexuality reveals the limits of its supposed tolerance.
“So deaf have we become to attacks upon religious liberty,” Brandis told his audience, “so accepting have we been of the open scorn with which their tenets, their liturgy, their customs, their clergy and their congregations have been derided, that the great Dyson Heydon, delivering the Acton Lecture in April this year, was moved to describe anti-Catholicism in modern Australia as ‘the racism of the intellectuals’.”
Brandis didn’t mention sex. He never spelled it out. But he did call on the apostles, saints and church fathers to approve some remarkable propositions. Here is the attorney general on the hazards of reform in the modern state: “For St Augustine, an individual’s relationship with God is paramount, and the focus is on the eternal city of God, rather than the city of man. And, since only in the city of god is mankind perfectible, the attempt of the secular authority – the governors of the city of man – to impose a specious perfection upon citizens is a profound wrong.”

Fredescu

Holy crap. I love how it ends with "I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but..." and a quote about not believing everything you hear.

jgminto

The Red Cross says 500 jobs will be lost after the Immigration Department slashed funding for the charity's asylum seeker support service.

The charity has confirmed 500 of 800 staff working in its migrant support programs around the country will lose their jobs over the next 10 months.

Only a 62.5% loss of staff. Better than 100% right?

bomma_man

My friend lost his job working with orphans in community detention. They might not even have any facilities in Tasmania anymore. Feel sorry for the kids.

markot

Banned
Carbon tax and mining tax gone?

Free at last free at last!

This is what the slaves must have felt like after the us civil war.

Looks like Napthine is going to try and kick Geoff Shaw out of the Victoria Parliament anyway. Just too late for bi-election I imagine. Not sure what the endgame is, a few days press isn't going to prevent the Libs getting smashed in the coming election.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I'd like to hear more about this first before I condemn it. There are some very nasty bacterial infections in tropical areas that don't respond to normal treatments. But if he died due to a lack of medical care or prompt intervention then his death can firmly be hung around Morrison's neck.
True, but also all the more reason to not detain people in sub par conditions there.

Dryk

It will be really interesting to see the timeline, since it's being reported that it progress as:

Cut foot -> cellulitis -> septicemia

If it went past cellulitis statiscally it's most likely to be strep or staph, but I guess we'll have to wait to find out for sure. More importantly how long it spent in that stage is important, because subdermal infection is supposed to be taken seriously (because of the chance of septicemia). Especially in a remote location where there's no time to take a wait and see approach.

Yagharek

For a gov't that purports to claim the age of entitlement is over, their decision to Stop the Super seems more likely to mean more pension entitlements are needed.

DrSlek

For a gov't that purports to claim the age of entitlement is over, their decision to Stop the Super seems more likely to mean more pension entitlements are needed.
Yes this in particular is baffling to me after they already increased the retirement age.

Dead Man

You've made the mistake of thinking the current government cares about that. They will just reduce the value of pensions and keep increasing retirement age to access them. They don't care if people are fucked over, they just don't want to spend money on them at all.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
oh boy the latest round of bolt & catallaxy comments on lambie are a sight to behold
Hahahahahaha. I've hardly ever been to Catalaxy but for some reason I expected better. There's gotta be some catchy way of combining the words ignorance, dissonance and bigotry together. Dissigotrance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom