• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredescu

I think its just tragic that a moron like Lambie and co get 6 years in power. The senate needs an overhaul to stop fringe parties from being able to get so much power based on dodgy preference deals.

Muir got .51% of the vote. And has a seat in the senate for 6 years. His vote will be crucial. He will decide the fate of legislation.

Has there even been a peep about electoral reform at all? Seems like they're too scared to piss off the minor parties to do anything about it, so this will just keep getting worse.

Double post because fuck you this is important.

Tommy DJ

BBC also has 3 times the population to broadcast to.

The BBC also has a metric ton more content than the ABC because its seen as a means of educating the British public and proliferating British culture domestically and abroad. We as a nation seem to have some degree of contempt for ABC and SBS and a decent amount of the public probably see them as a bit useless.

A key part of what makes the BBC rather solid as a broadcaster is that it does a significant amount of programming for minority interests. Think of something and the BBC probably has some form of programming for you.

Arksy

Has there even been a peep about electoral reform at all? Seems like they're too scared to piss off the minor parties to do anything about it, so this will just keep getting worse.

Double post because fuck you this is important.

There has, Liberals and the ALP were thinking of electoral reform before the new Senate got in, along with the greens, but they got too scared off afterwards because these pricks have 6 years to for revenge once they get sworn in.

Basically the big parties can't screw the little parties over because the little parties will then screw the big parties over. So the system stays....at least until one side gets clear (obviously will be the big parties) in which they'll change the preference flow rules.

Not that I have a problem with these Senators per se, I think it's kind of nice that we get some average citizens in Parliament rather than career politicians.

The BBC also has a metric ton more content than the ABC because its seen as a means of educating the British public and proliferating British culture domestically and abroad. We as a nation seem to have some degree of contempt for ABC and SBS and a decent amount of the public probably see them as a bit useless.

A key part of what makes the BBC rather solid as a broadcaster is that it does a significant amount of programming for minority interests. Think of something and the BBC probably has some form of programming for you.

Im not being funny either but most people see them as lefties all the time, rightly or wrongly.

Tommy DJ

The point isn't money. The point is that BBC actually goes to great lengths to bring programming for a very minority group of people because their goal is to create a more cultured population. That's what the ABC and SBS would like to do but obviously that's getting more and more difficult because of our "budget crisis".

Like the scope is actually very, very narrow for a lot of their programming. I'm not talking about things like Top Gear and panel shows. I'm talking about programming about women's issues, poetry, Black British music, how to understand statistics presented in the media, etc etc. None of these things even have to exist or even make money but may create a more informed and cultured population. For instance, their educational programming, podcasts, and programs are absolutely top notch, especially if you want to learn English as a second language.

Fredescu

I think it's kind of nice that we get some average citizens in Parliament rather than career politicians.

I could have sympathy for this position if it wasn't for six years and the system was set up a little better for it because it had that idea in mind. Their existence is via the exploitation of a loophole and I think will be a net detriment to politics over all. Although to be fair, it's pretty dire to begin with.

Arksy

The point isn't money. The point is that BBC actually goes to great lengths to bring programming for a very minority group of people because their goal is to create a more cultured population. That's what the ABC and SBS would like to do but obviously that's getting more and more difficult because of our "budget crisis".

Like the scope is actually very, very narrow. I'm not talking about things like Top Gear and panel shows. I'm talking about programming about women's issues, poetry, Black British music, how to understand statistics presented in the media, etc etc. None of these things even have to exist or even make money but may create a more informed and cultured population. Their educational programming, podcasts, and programs are absolutely top notch, especially if you want to learn English as a second language.

Absolutely, the BBC holds a place in British culture that our ABC/SBS struggle to match. The BBC is also fairly impartial and they go absolutely fantastic historical accounts of various prime ministers and political movements. Their series on Bejamin Disraeli (a 19th century Jewish conservative politician who became PM) was absolutely phenomenal.

Arksy

I could have sympathy for this position if it wasn't for six years and the system was set up a little better for it because it had that idea in mind. Their existence is via the exploitation of a loophole and I think will be a net detriment to politics over all. Although to be fair, it's pretty dire to begin with.

That's a fair point. Six years is a very long time for any elected position.

Jintor

They are phone polls.

Its not willful just a different opinion to your comfort zone

So in essence, you're going by an indefinable metric of unknown widespread applicability with zero quantifiable evidence.

You're essentially attempting to argue based on "what everybody knows" or what some bloke in a pub told you

bomma_man

So in essence, you're going by an indefinable metric of unknown widespread applicability with zero quantifiable evidence.

You're essentially attempting to argue based on "what everybody knows" or what some bloke in a pub told you

You think he's old enough to go to the pub?

bomma_man

Less insulting than the quality of your posts

Lol, I don't agree with 99% of what Arksy says, or what Benji posts in the US poli GAF thread, or what that investment banker guy in the UK thread says, but I still think they're close to the best posters in their respective threads because they challenge my views.

Jintor

I mean, if you said that opinion polls skew in certain directions because of the people who tend to take them, or that phone polls don't get as accurate information as street polls (although why Australians Who Use Phones aren't also 'normal Australians' is beyond me - presumably normal Australians can't use phones) I would understand that...

I mean, if you said that opinion polls skew in certain directions because of the people who tend to take them, or that phone polls don't get as accurate information as street polls (although why Australians Who Use Phones aren't also 'normal Australians' is beyond me - presumably normal Australians can't use phones) I would understand that...

Yeah thats basically what i meant cheers.

Tommy DJ

Its literally News Corporation doing these surveys. That specific survey is done every year, probably for The Australian.

Phone surveys are probably one of the easiest survey types to screw around due to their limited length and possibility of sample bias. And its within the interest of Newspoll to skew the results, if we assume that they have poor ethics and have a vested interest in seeing the death of the ABC. So if it was going to skew one direction, it would be more likely to skew towards one that provided the irrelevance of the ABC.

But even with these issues, they're a valid method of surveying because of their geographic coverage (hence you're not just interviewing latte sipping hipsters) and ability to target rare population samples.

Just to be clear there is literally zero evidence that the political biases of Rupert Murdoch have any effect on Newspoll results. In fact it is probably the most accurate poll in the country.

TBH I'm actually pretty glad someone else of the right wing persuasion exists in this thread now besides Arksy.

I wasn't seriously suggesting it. I just have no idea why he was so ready to dismiss a Newspoll survey just because it was a phone survey. And if those phone surveys were going to show any intentional sample biases or whatever, it would be one that would damn the ABC. His justification, which Jintor gave him, feels awfully flimsy given Newspoll aren't a bunch of amateurs and damn well know how to conduct a robust survey.

Jintor

Yeah thats basically what i meant cheers.

The main reason you're getting so much hostility in this thread isn't necessarily that you have opposing views. Arksy often holds views that aren't in line with the majority of the thread or otherwise likes to play devil's advocate and we (mostly) get along fine (or like a house on fire... people screaming, lots of sirens...)

Rather, it's because you're making no real effort at argumentation or expressing it very odd ways that are difficult to engage with, primarily by crying persecution at every opportunity.

hidys

Its literally News Corporation doing these surveys. That specific survey is done every year, probably for The Australian.

Phone surveys are probably one of the easiest survey types to screw around due to their limited length and possibility of sample bias. And its within the interest of Newspoll to skew the results, if we assume that they have poor ethics and have a vested interest in seeing the death of the ABC. So if it was going to skew one direction, it would be more likely to skew towards one that provided the irrelevance of the ABC.

But even with these issues, they're a valid method of surveying because of their geographic coverage (hence you're not just interviewing latte sipping hipsters) and ability to target rare population samples.

Just to be clear there is literally zero evidence that the political biases of Rupert Murdoch have any effect on Newspoll results. In fact it is probably the most accurate poll in the country.

TBH I'm actually pretty glad someone else of the right wing persuasion exists in this thread now besides Arksy.

hidys

I wasn't seriously suggesting it. I just have no idea why he was so ready to dismiss a Newspoll survey just because it was a phone survey. And if those phone surveys were going to show any intentional sample biases or whatever, it would be one that would damn the ABC. His justification, which Jintor gave him, feels awfully flimsy given Newspoll aren't a bunch of amateurs and damn well know how to conduct a robust survey.

I didn't think you actually were but I have heard people tried to suggest that before in the Rudd-Gillard years.

Dryk

I think its just tragic that a moron like Lambie and co get 6 years in power. The senate needs an overhaul to stop fringe parties from being able to get so much power based on dodgy preference deals.

Muir got .51% of the vote. And has a seat in the senate for 6 years. His vote will be crucial. He will decide the fate of legislation.
Truly the government those that vote blindly above the line deserve :\

bomma_man

The main reason you're getting so much hostility in this thread isn't necessarily that you have opposing views. Arksy often holds views that aren't in line with the majority of the thread or otherwise likes to play devil's advocate and we (mostly) get along fine (or like a house on fire... people screaming, lots of sirens...)

Rather, it's because you're making no real effort at argumentation or expressing it very odd ways that are difficult to engage with, primarily by crying persecution at every opportunity.

To repeat because I just edited: I don't agree with 99% of what Arksy says, or what Benji posts in the US poli GAF thread, or what that investment banker guy in the UK thread says, but I still think they're close to the best posters in their respective threads because they challenge my views. The difference between them and you is that they are articulate, thoughtful, and educated.

DrSlek

Im not being funny either but most people see them as lefties all the time, rightly or wrongly.

Im not talking about the sort of twat who fills out questionnaires on the abc (you know the sort) im talking about the man on the street, the normal Australian.

I wonder where that idea comes from....?

XJZCqUL.jpg

Why the hell do they give out youth allowance to people who have part time jobs just because there parents are poor? They earn like 15k a year from that job then an extra 2k on top for fuck all reason.Plus why do you still get it even if your on holidays from uni- hardly a student for those 5 months.

Dead Man

Why the hell do they give out youth allowance to people who have part time jobs just because there parents are poor? They earn like 15k a year from that job then an extra 2k on top for fuck all reason.Plus why do you still get it even if your on holidays from uni- hardly a student for those 5 months.

Can you explain how the Youth Allowance payments are calculated? If you can I may be willing to enter a discussion with you.

Also, how much do you earn a year? What is your living situation? Just trying to get a handle on why you seem to think 15k is a liveable wage and why you think students shouldn't get it just because they are on uni holidays. They don't suddenly get jobs during that period, even if they are applying like mad.

Arksy

People who have jobs get a certain percentage of their youth allowance deducted until a threshold is reached. Youth allowance is far from the rage we should be directing at middle class welfare, students ARE generally poor and this is hampered by the fact that rent prices are through the roof and cost of living keeps going up.

bomma_man

I got about $150 a week allowance plus $300 from work when I was single. It was a lifesaver tbh, allowed me to live comfortably out of home without having to sacrifice the quality of my uni work. A secondary advantage of it is that giving money to poor people is a very efficient form of stimulus, as they are more likely to spend it than save it.

This is a guy who lives at home fully, has a job part time where he makes like 15k, pays no rent food etc and isnt doing the summer trimester. Its being spent on video games.

Not a single person living out of home.

Dead Man

This is a guy who lives at home fully, has a job part time where he makes like 15k, pays no rent food etc and isnt doing the summer trimester. Its being spent on video games.

Not a single person living out of home.

So address that single case instead of a general rant. Your post was throwing every part time employed person and student under a bus. Learn to be specific about what you are actually complaining about or you will continue to not come across as an educated person.

Well gee, if ConstructMe knows one person using the system in a way it's not necessarily supposed to be used, I guess we'd better tear the whole thing down.

So address that single case instead of a general rant. Your post was throwing every part time employed person and student under a bus. Learn to be specific about what you are actually complaining about or you will continue to not come across as an educated person.

Oh no shit no i know lots need it, but some dont including this guy, now an anyone answer if thats legal/how they dont detect this etc.

Im not slagging the system, im asking if this is legal or abusing it?

Dead Man

Oh no shit no i know lots need it, but some dont including this guy, now an anyone answer if thats legal/how they dont detect this etc.

Im not slagging the system, im asking if this is legal or abusing it?

Ask him? He may have circumstances you don't know about, it may well be legal anyway since the governments of recent years do love middle class welfare.

What used to happen back when I was studying was people would get their parents to put 20k or so in their name so they could qualify as independent students (by meeting an income criteria) who could then qualify for a much higher payment. Utter rort, but was really common. Fucking well off families getting help they didn't need while poor families don't. Same old same old.

When you launch into a rant like your post, it helps to provide some context if you don't want people to just take it at face value as a generalised rant.

Ask him? He may have circumstances you don't know about, it may well be legal anyway since the governments of recent years do love middle class welfare.

What used to happen back when I was studying was people would get their parents to put 20k or so in their name so they could qualify as independent students (by meeting an income criteria) who could then qualify for a much higher payment. Utter rort, but was really common. Fucking well off families getting help they didn't need while poor families don't. Same old same old.

When you launch into a rant like your post, it helps to provide some context if you don't want people to just take it at face value as a generalised rant.

Coz id rather not piss of a friend, im not angry at him, just perplexed that hard ass tony and even any other government let this shit fly still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom