• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

markot

Banned
Yes. It must be since we don't support it.

Let's pretend political parties aren't complicated entities trying to balance many view points amongst its members and leaders for the chance to win elected office.

Dead Man

Let's pretend political parties aren't complicated entities trying to balance many view points amongst its members and leaders for the chance to win elected office.

Yes, lets ignore that political parties in Australia generally have party positions that MP's are expected to follow. Lets not use the evidence of the parties position to judge the fucking party. :/

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい

Balance what viewpoints?

mjontrix

Yes, lets ignore that political parties in Australia generally have party positions that MP's are expected to follow. Lets not use the evidence of the parties position to judge the fucking party. :/

Party position = donors position.

I thought we established that already. Doesn't matter what's on paper it's how much paper :)

Dryk

Balance is having enough members of the left faction to draw in the centre-left vote but making sure there aren't enough to actually get in the way of the right doing whatever they want.

markot

Banned

Who creates those party positions? The party and its members... Where did I say not to judge them? Im saying that the idea that the labor left is irrelavent or powerless is idiotic. Or that simply because their policies arent all policies that they are useless.

Balance is having enough members of the left faction to draw in the centre-left vote but making sure there aren't enough to actually get in the way of the right doing whatever they want.

Perhaps a reflection of... I dont know... the Australian public? Make the labor party the party of progressives and itll never win an election.

Elections are a fight for the %10 of morans in the middle who 'cant decide'.

I dont even vote Labor. Even though I used to consider my self a laborite.

Fredescu

Man, I think you guys hate the ALP more than I do.

I think the ALP is the worst because there is no ideological excuse for their bullshit from their base. The Lib base expects and wants corporate appeasement because to them corporations are the saviour and the government just gets in the way.

Perhaps a reflection of... I dont know... the Australian public? Make the labor party the party of progressives and itll never win an election.

Rudd fought on a platform of fixing climate change, indigenous reconciliation, and spending big on infrastructure, and was wildly popular. All those 10% want is a personality, I don't think ideology is particularly relevant to them.

wonzo

Banned
would rather they gut qanda and the drum instead of rural and stateline services

fuck every single motherfucking liberal and national scumfuck that whines about cuts to their immediate area as if they weren't somehow complicit in this

markot

Banned
Rudd fought on a platform of fixing climate change, indigenous reconciliation, and spending big on infrastructure, and was wildly popular. All those 10% want is a personality, I don't think ideology is particularly relevant to them.

Rudd was popular because he wasnt Howard. Johnnie was in power for so long, and had alienated the 'battlersssss' during his control of the senate. He went to far right.

None of those issues are exactly just for the 'left' of labor either. Rudd just had his personality in the party, the left and the right were not particularly fond of him, all they wanted were results. The polls dipped (In spite of all these policies) and he was out.

Dead Man

Who creates those party positions? The party and its members... Where did I say not to judge them? Im saying that the idea that the labor left is irrelavent or powerless is idiotic. Or that simply because their policies arent all policies that they are useless.

I dont even vote Labor. Even though I used to consider my self a laborite.

So we should reward the party as a whole for caving to stupidity? Fuck that noise, and fuck anyone suggesting it. Fuck Labor, and fuck Labor apologists. And Rudd did just fine bringing some progressiveness back to Labor, and the Greens stole plenty of Labor votes by being progressive. I will not agree that a race to the middle right is either desirable, or necessary to win votes. It is probably inevitable though, because of spineless fucks like 90% of Labor.

You guys do know the abc still get over one thousand million dollars a year right.

So they only lost a quarter or a fifth of their budget? You do know how fractions work, right?

Arksy

The catholic/methodist/uniting church wing of the ALP has always been traditionalist, conservative and religious and has always been a dominating influence over the party since the start.

I think it's unreasonable to assume that the ALP is a fundamentally progressive party. It's safe to assume that the Labor Left has always been far more progressive than Labor Unity, but it's hard to actually convey how much these two wings of the ALP actually hate each other.

It is so much the case that they hate each other, that it's more acceptable for someone from Young Labor Unity to date a Young Lib, than it is for said member to date a person from Young Labor left. I wish I was joking.

Dead Man

The catholic/methodist/uniting church wing of the ALP has always been traditionalist, conservative and religious and has always been a dominating influence over the party since the start.

I think it's unreasonable to assume that the ALP is a fundamentally progressive party. It's safe to assume that the Labor Left has always been far more progressive than Labor Unity, but it's hard to actually convey how much these two wings of the ALP actually hate each other.

It is so much the case that they hate each other, that it's more acceptable for someone from Young Labor Unity to date a Young Lib, than it is for said member to date a person from Young Labor left. I wish I was joking.

Being a Labor party was by definition progressive 40 or 50 years ago. Issues have changed, the party hasn't.

hidys

It is so much the case that they hate each other, that it's more acceptable for someone from Young Labor Unity to date a Young Lib, than it is for said member to date a person from Young Labor left.

It is a little bit more complex than that. Each larger faction is split into smaller sub-factions which may or may not work across the larger factional divide. I know in Victoria the entire Young Labor Left made a deal with the young shoppies faction so they could become president while the shoppies got Secretary.

Sometimes the National Union of Workers has also been known to work with the left.

So we should reward the party as a whole for caving to stupidity? Fuck that noise, and fuck anyone suggesting it. Fuck Labor, and fuck Labor apologists. And Rudd did just fine bringing some progressiveness back to Labor, and the Greens stole plenty of Labor votes by being progressive. I will not agree that a race to the middle right is either desirable, or necessary to win votes. It is probably inevitable though, because of spineless fucks like 90% of Labor.

So they only lost a quarter or a fifth of their budget? You do know how fractions work, right?

1. its merely 2.6%

so about 1/40th

In other news: Rich white man plays the "it's not offensive, it's a tribute to your culture" card. Bonus points because the student association representative involved is actually from Latin America

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...ng-theyre-racist/story-fni6unxq-1227131718804

Labor's fair game. Only Greens are allowed to slag off Greens because they're an oppressed minority ;)
Banning Mexican-themed parties is very 'no fun allowed'. Any denigration of Mexico that may occur is done tangentially out of pure ignorance. It's almost innocent because Australia lacks the history of geopolitical interference, exploitation and bigotry toward Latin America than (say) the US does. I say this as a person whose full name sounds like Gloria from Modern Family cussing out Jay in Spanish.

The guy's reasoning is all kinds of wrong though (bringing up the Redskins as a positive example of cultural celebration? WHY?), and he casually uses the term 'The West' as a proxy for 'Rich White People Countries' as though an entire continent that speaks a language, holds to to religion and propagates customs inherited directly from Greece and Rome isn't western enough to qualify membership, so I'll put that down to a broken clock being right twice a day.

Heres my second i guess.

Im just saying 5.5 billion dollars over 5 years is a fucking huge amount to spend on a public broadcaster and they must be able to stomach some cuts, especially such relatively small ones, i can imagine there would be a lot of people payed to sit around in an organisation like that. So yes i think a measly 2.6% cut is reasonable.

Dryk

How fucking Orwellian is the term "efficiency dividend"?
Eh, I see it as pretty typical manager-speak

i can imagine there would be a lot of people payed to sit around in an organisation like that
No company should be trusted to make those calls though. I'm sure the ABC is perfectly able to maintain a lot of it's current output for around 2% less. If the government wants the public service to do more with less they need to be properly audited because it's a lot easier to just cut local versions of the news than it is to figure out which 10 guys aren't getting any work done.

markot

Banned

Where am I saying reward them? I am saying that the faction exists and that it isnt useless.

I vote Green used to vote Labor.

But lets look at that. Do I agree with everything the greens stand for? Not at all nearly. But their views generally are mostly aligned with mine.

The same goes for those in Labor. There are people who are more conservative socially but prefer Labors economic policies. There are those that prefer more liberal economics but prefer labor social policies.

Political parties are complicated things, we still have a 2 party system, these two parties need to engage as many people 'on their side' as they can. That means that the liberals cant go to far right. (Why do you think Abbot is so on the nose? Why did Howard get kicked out?)

Like it or not, but they need to balance, there is over lap on alot of issues. But they are battling for a group of voters who have no real ideological conviction. I could never vote Liberal. But there are voters who dont mind, they tend to only care about their more immediate needs and things that affect themselves personally. Like it or not in a democracy, but these sorts of people are generally destined to be king makers.

And while I vote green, I would prefer a Labor right victory to a Liberal 'left' one. And there are alot in Labor, after years in the wilderness, such as the DLP split, who think that moving towards the center is better then staying put on the left if it means not having a chance to take office. People are willing to sacrafice a few principles in order to get into power and influence things in their direction, even if they cant do everything that they may really want to do. But thats politics. Howard was always more right wing then he was able to be in government.

Dryk

Im just saying 5.5 billion dollars over 5 years is a fucking huge amount to spend on a public broadcaster and they must be able to stomach some cuts
The BBC's yearly expenditure is about 9 billion AUD and they only employ about 5 times as many people as the ABC. That said, the BBC is able to produce high-quality drama with it.

Dead Man

Where am I saying reward them? I am saying that the faction exists and that it isnt useless.

I vote Green used to vote Labor.

But lets look at that. Do I agree with everything the greens stand for? Not at all nearly. But their views generally are mostly aligned with mine.

The same goes for those in Labor. There are people who are more conservative socially but prefer Labors economic policies. There are those that prefer more liberal economics but prefer labor social policies.

Political parties are complicated things, we still have a 2 party system, these two parties need to engage as many people 'on their side' as they can. That means that the liberals cant go to far right. (Why do you think Abbot is so on the nose? Why did Howard get kicked out?)

Like it or not, but they need to balance, there is over lap on alot of issues. But they are battling for a group of voters who have no real ideological conviction. I could never vote Liberal. But there are voters who dont mind, they tend to only care about their more immediate needs and things that affect themselves personally. Like it or not in a democracy, but these sorts of people are generally destined to be king makers.

And while I vote green, I would prefer a Labor right victory to a Liberal 'left' one. And there are alot in Labor, after years in the wilderness, such as the DLP split, who think that moving towards the center is better then staying put on the left if it means not having a chance to take office. People are willing to sacrafice a few principles in order to get into power and influence things in their direction, even if they cant do everything that they may really want to do. But thats politics. Howard was always more right wing then he was able to be in government.
You should be angrier. Balance for the sake of balance is for Starwars. Accepting kingmakers as kingmakers jest because they are kingmakers is weak as piss. And the Libs are lurching right because there is no left party with the power to hold them to account.

You are basically saying 'Don't criticise them, they are just doing what they need to win' ignoring that that is WHY I am criticising them, for only doing what will help them win. I want losers with principles who I can trust at their word rather than a party of fucking hacks who only worry about getting reelected. A party whose pathetic lurch to the right and towards purely economic issues has helped the Australian political scene to join them in that race towards pure economic rationalism.

Don't settle for the second worst option.

If we got angry every time politicians lied we'd be angry all day, election in victoria this week has both sides talking bs like this too, but thats what these people are- liyng snakes. Hate them so much.

You should be angrier too. Politicians lying and getting away with it makes a mockery of election cycles.

markot

Banned
Why is anyone surprised that the PUP is imploding?

I doubt it will be a political party come next election.

I mean, its named after a douchler billionaire.

Its candidates are as close to brain dead as you can find.

Its got no clearly defined position on most issues or... anything, other than 'screw those guys eh?'.

I think its just tragic that a moron like Lambie and co get 6 years in power. The senate needs an overhaul to stop fringe parties from being able to get so much power based on dodgy preference deals.

Muir got .51% of the vote. And has a seat in the senate for 6 years. His vote will be crucial. He will decide the fate of legislation.

Id say abc are canning as much stuff as possible to make this gov look bad, if there canning all that after losing 2.6% of the budget what the fuck are they doing with the other 5.25billion/97.4%?

Also i dont see a point getting angry at politics lifes too short and this country is too complacent, say in vic we either have (generalization) money wasters (desal, north south pipeline, myki) or money wasters (east west link) no matter who gets in.

Dead Man

Id say abc are canning as much stuff as possible to make this gov look bad, if there canning all that after losing 2.6% of the budget what the fuck are they doing with the other 5.25billion/97.4%?

Also i dont see a point getting angry at politics lifes too short and this country is too complacent, say in vic we either have (generalization) money wasters (desal, north south pipeline, myki) or money wasters (east west link) no matter who gets in.

Says don't get angry at politics, also says country is too complacent. Seems you just don't give a fuck unless you are told an issue is stealing your money.

Arksy

Dead Man is right, It doesn't matter that they may have lied to achieve what I personally may consider to be a politically expedient policy objective.

They lied, and that puts the integrity of the entire democratic system at stake, and that system is far more important than what I think.

Alright sorry by angry i mean active about a cause, if i were to stand down by abc melbourne with a sign "reverse the cuts you cunts" the public wouldnt bat an eyelid and nothing would happen so no point.

Everyone is power is just so far adrift of the needs and wants of the average guy.

Fredescu

Rudd was popular because he wasnt Howard. Johnnie was in power for so long, and had alienated the 'battlersssss' during his control of the senate. He went to far right.

Yep, governments get voted out, not in. Hence Abbotts polling dived not long after winning. The 10% didn't actually want him in, they just wanted the other lot out. Wouldn't have happened so quickly if people liked him.

None of those issues are exactly just for the 'left' of labor either. Rudd just had his personality in the party, the left and the right were not particularly fond of him, all they wanted were results. The polls dipped (In spite of all these policies) and he was out.

The polls dipped because he fucked up the implementation of those issues, not in spite of them.

Alright sorry by angry i mean active about a cause, if i were to stand down by abc melbourne with a sign "reverse the cuts you cunts" the public wouldnt bat an eyelid and nothing would happen so no point.

Are you seriously coming into a politics thread saying "don't get worked up about politics"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom