• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cant imagine labour winning, dan andrews (or is it daniel they keep changing their mind) was seen as a joke up unitl the last week or so of heavy tv ads, plus i just hate careeer politicians lol.

Ah well if it gets us the east west link and melb metro tunnel (unlikely tho) ill be happy.

hidys

I cant imagine labour winning, dan andrews (or is it daniel they keep changing their mind) was seen as a joke up unitl the last week or so of heavy tv ads, plus i just hate careeer politicians lol.

Ah well if it gets us the east west link and melb metro tunnel (unlikely tho) ill be happy.

State opposition leaders usually are invisible until they get elected. Andrews has actually done a pretty good job at getting recognised.

TBH not sure how bring career politician should affect ones vote or not.

I hope Labor success in scrapping that giant waste of money, though I have some doubts that they'll succeed in that area.

In any case on Sportsbet now:
$1.19 Labor
$4.50 Liberal

You should put your money where your mouth is ;)

r1chard

Also, career politicians are rarely the ones passionate and creative enough to actually make a change - they usually just sit in the corner and vote the party line and hope their party is popular enough for them to be kept in.

Having said that... I really hope the "let's build a giant expensive tunnel on very dubious pretences" party is not left in power :)

Dead Man

I just dont know how careeer politicians can relate to the population if thats all theyve done.

Same way as anyone else would? They have a job, they do it, they go home. I would be more worried by a lack of breadth of experience in the party as a whole. Almost everyone in politics has a law or business background even if they are not a career poli. That is more worrying to me. We need more engineers, scientists, teachers, etc running for office.

hidys

So is that true about voting below the line and only needing a minimum of 5 boxes filled?

As true as Daniel Andrews being Premier on Sunday.

I'm not actually as sure about that as my posts in this thread let on but yes is the answer to your question. You can do as many as you want but you only need at least 5.

A citation for the 'minimum of 5 preferences' for below the line voting for the Victorian Legislative Council:
If you choose to vote below the line, place a 1 in the box against your most preferred candidate and continue numbering 2,3,4,5 and so on in order of your choice.. You are only required to number a total of five preferences (i.e. 2, 3, 4 and 5), but can number more. This is called optional preferential voting.
https://www.vec.vic.gov.au/Voting/StateElections.html

Nah i put some independent first so threw it away. Nasically i dont want labor to win and take a yewar to sort out their plans instead of libs ready to get on with shit.
Putting an independent candidate first doesn't throw the vote away. It's preferential voting, going through your preferences in order with some witchcraft.

Dryk

Same way as anyone else would? They have a job, they do it, they go home. I would be more worried by a lack of breadth of experience in the party as a whole. Almost everyone in politics has a law or business background even if they are not a career poli. That is more worrying to me. We need more engineers, scientists, teachers, etc running for office.
The problem is that those people often have better things to do, and don't want to hang around with a bunch of businessmen and lawyers :\

Dryk

Looks like the Liberals are already complaining about the new boundaries just like after the SA election. Guys that's never your problem, your problem is having a strong vote concentrated into a handful of seats. Small boundary shifts can't save you from having 20% margins.

I wonder how long it takes for Kevin Andrews to get his hair ready in the morning.

Scratch that...

I wonder how long it takes for Kevin Andrews' Hair to get Kevin Andrews ready in the morning.

hidys

Looks like the Liberals are already complaining about the new boundaries just like after the SA election. Guys that's never your problem, your problem is having a strong vote concentrated into a handful of seats. Small boundary shifts can't save you from having 20% margins.

To be fair in SA Liberals should have won and Arksy has every right to be jaded as fuck.

In Vic there is no fucking reason the Libs have to complain. They did better in redistribution than Labor did AND THEY STILL FUCKING LOST.

Dryk

To be fair in SA Liberals should have won and Arksy has every right to be jaded as fuck.
Yeah I know it was bullshit, but honestly when you base your boundaries off of 4 year old data shit like that happens. (I may have forgotten that it keeps happening here).

Jintor

Fuck hope the greens dont get in, who ever wins needs to be able to govern without those obstructionists.

Lol. Between that or having one of the two major parties running roughshod over everything, I prefer the 'obstructionists'

of course the split's not big enough in VIC iirc for the greens to be too effective on anything except something labor-divisive

D.Lo

Fuck hope the greens dont get in, who ever wins needs to be able to govern without those obstructionists.
Labor will have a clear majority, the Greens will have no power.

It's the ideal result to me really, Labor wins, but gets a kick up the arse from the left as well. Maybe one day Labor will wake up from their Liberal-lite retarded dream.

hidys

For fuck sake stop blaming "the unions" for your lose you stupid fuckwits.

If you haven't of fucked their members their unprecedented presence would not have lost you the election.

hidys

I think the Libs are too in denial to concede tonight.

I'm disappointed I won't be drinking Tory tears tonight.

At least "Dan" will be giving a victory speech.

EDIT: Also I don't care about Richmond or Brunswick. BUT. If the Greens won Prahran I would be happy.

Jintor

Libs in Vic lost because they deserved to lose. Hopeless term mired by internal party politics and absurd scandals.

Do you think politics in Australia (well, in any western-style country I guess) will ever be a contest of winners instead of the destruction of losers? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom