• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hidys

CI5DE_NUMAQm3uT.jpg:large

it never dies

The scary part is if she sucks up the preferences she did last time she could actually win a seat since I can't imagine people will accidentally vote Liberal Democrat this time.

wonzo

Banned
The scary part is if she sucks up the preferences she did last time she could actually win a seat since I can't imagine people will accidentally vote Liberal Democrat this time.
She renamed the Party to "Pauline Hanson's One Nation" and I suspect that'll give her a big enough of a boost to get over the line. ._.

fe: looks like she's running for the senate in 2016, welp

Shaneus

It's really a rock and a hard place because while I suspect the Coalition would love to kill this issue, they probably REALLY don't want it brought to an election with Labor on the opposite side.

At least, I suspect they do not. Look at how much nuance Tones uses when he talks about this issue "respecting viewpoints on both sides" compared to his usual slather.
I think the publicity the legalisation of it in the US has received is working fiercely against them. I hope it never dies down.

JC Sera

Last time I recall the counter rallies rolled them.

Who are they protesting anyway? Far as I can see the xenophobic racists are winning
On the train this morning I had to suffer a tradie going on this racist/misogynistic/international conspiracy/pro-gun tirade to his apprentice
  • when I got on the train he was on about port arthur massacre taking away all the gun rights
  • then how when the housing & employment crisis come to a tipping point there will be a war in melbourne
  • then going on about how all the western suburbs (this was an eastern train line) have all the illegal guns, and that the eastern suburbs (he was pretty much implying the "white suburbs") will be left vunerable to quote "with nothing to defend them but their dicks up"
  • then it shifted to it will be all the lebanese with the guns, and they will come and rape all our woman and steal all our shit
  • that the women will have no guns and will be all soft and die, and unlike men who care about the top part of their body, they care about the bottom part.
  • Then it shifted to how we've been abandoned by the poms, the yanks are waiting for us to fall into depression so we can follow them into another war because we are their "bitch"
  • The country has been nearly all bought by the "gooks", they take all our jobs, take all the dirty jobs such as brothel owners and tabacco places, they are covered in sin.
It terrifies me that until he opened his mouth, he looked like a normal everyday working man.
Really wish I told him to shut up, but guy was twice my size and already said some shit about women I didn't wanna test.

So apparently theres still plenty left to do in this country, for these types of racist ass bigots.

danm999

Do they think it can be forgotten? Or are they just relying on the usual media cycle passing it out?

Nah Labor have already smelled blood in the water on this as far back as the Irish vote. The US Supreme Court decision has only intensified that. If the Coalition tries to bury it in August they'll just keep pressing; it's an issue where they're on the right side of public opinion and the Coalition isn't.

If you had to make me guess, I'd say the theme of Labor's election pitch will be equality and fairness; marriage, housing affordability, negative gearing, capital gains, etc.

speaking of nazis andy did a decent writeup of all the little fuckers knockin about[/URL]

My mind is full of fuck at the fact the Golden Dawn attempts to cultivate ties in the Greek Australian community.

Do they think it can be forgotten? Or are they just relying on the usual media cycle passing it out?

I think they are desperately hoping it will be. Abetz brought up the decision in the Italian Supreme court to deny marriage equality he though had not gotten the same play of the one from the USA. They've dragged out the Q&A thing beyond 10 days just to avoid talking out anything else and then went onto little Scotty's/Dutto's stormtrooper unveiling yesterday.

Nah Labor have already smelled blood in the water on this as far back as the Irish vote. The US Supreme Court decision has only intensified that. If the Coalition tries to bury it in August they'll just keep pressing; it's an issue where they're on the right side of public opinion and the Coalition isn't.

If you had to make me guess, I'd say the theme of Labor's election pitch will be equality and fairness; marriage, housing affordability, negative gearing, capital gains, etc.

The issue is that we still don't know where the Labor right from Victoria and SA stand yet. Conroy is completely silent and none of the numpty right wing senators have spoken up. Just imagine what would happen if someone from the Labor party came out and spoke against marriage equality, it would probably kill momentum stone dead and make it very hard to run on it at an election. At least Joe de Bruin is retiring very soon!

With all the noise on TV today, it appears as though the marriage equality bill isn't even going to see the floor, let alone cabinet. Looks like the stacked committee that decides what can be voted on is either going to deny it or just mire it down until, they think, everyone forgets.

I wonder what part of Asia they want to copy. The massive investment in manufacturing? Social housing in Singapore? Massive investment in renewables in China? Or supporting Taiwan so they will probably be the first country to allow marriage equality in Asia? Or maybe, deep racism towards immigrant communities in SEA? Jailing and Death Penalty rates in China? The horrendous oppression towards religious minorities also in China? Ridiculous territorial expansionism? The treatment of women in India?

Abetz should have taken a longer holiday.

Is it wrong that the second half of that actually sounds like a Check List Abetz would be in favour of to me ?

Arksy

God, that argument is just so ridiculously all over the place. It's almost funny how he's obviously just pulling up the first idea that comes into his head after the previous argument gets shot down. Plus, says no one wants it but he won't agree to a referendum to find out. I guess he's not that deluded to think that he's really in the majority here.

It's obvious he doesn't actually have any good arguments.

danm999

The issue is that we still don't know where the Labor right from Victoria and SA stand yet. Conroy is completely silent and none of the numpty right wing senators have spoken up. Just imagine what would happen if someone from the Labor party came out and spoke against marriage equality, it would probably kill momentum stone dead and make it very hard to run on it at an election. At least Joe de Bruin is retiring very soon!

It'd have to probably be more than one, but yes if a significant number of Labor politicians came out against it vocally it could derail things.

At this point though, I doubt they will. At the very least it seems to be causing some friction within the Liberal Party.

JC Sera

http://www.afr.com/opinion/columnis...e-are-putting-women-in-danger-20150626-ghw6dx
I cannot fucking believe what I am reading
Our Watch subscribes to the social theory of patriarchy: that engrained sexism and gender power imbalances are the root causes of domestic violence.

All women in all parts of society are said to be at risk – or, as the organisation's chairperson, Natasha Stott Despoja, puts it: "Violence against women does not discriminate, regardless of ethnicity, social status and geography."

This is the Big Lie of feminist propaganda. The data shows that domestic violence in Australia is heavily concentrated in Aboriginal and other underclass communities.

The Federal Department of Social Security has allocated $7.9 million to Our Watch in special program funding, part of which is being used to train and reward journalists who mimic the feminist mantra on family violence and patriarchy.
Yet, given its fanaticism about men in the home, Left-feminism wants the media to soft-peddle on this issue.

Journalists are being encouraged to write up violent attacks on women by strangers as a non-event. And as taxpayers, we're funding this rubbish.

The Abbott government needs to close down Our Watch immediately. Far from helping women, it's jeopardising their safety.
I just can't
look at all these evil lefty-feminists pushing the agenda violence against women stems from a patriarchal society. Obviously if we were in a matriarchal society we would still have this problem.

JC Sera

Does anyone even listen to Mark Latham anymore?
Not usually, only when hes shitting on the australian of the year
cause what fucking empathy devoid asshole does that
how was this guy leader of the labor party again
wait scratch that question

Latham's been unhinged af the last few years. That isn't even that nutty, relatively. He's even right in clarifying that pretending like socio-economic status isn't a factor is fantasy

HowZatOZ

Banned
This whole struggle with approving the very basic rights of two loving people no matter their gender in Australia is just disgusting. I'm really ashamed to call myself Australian when we have politicians going out into the public claiming that no one should be able to celebrate their love and commitment because they aren't what a shitty fairy tale book dictates.

Fucking disgusting.

Shaneus

"Last few years"? Latham's been nothing but concentrated crazy since he lost the leadership of the Labor party.
Yeah, once he lost the leadership he pretty much went full Busey.

This whole struggle with approving the very basic rights of two loving people no matter their gender in Australia is just disgusting. I'm really ashamed to call myself Australian when we have politicians going out into the public claiming that no one should be able to celebrate their love and commitment because they aren't what a shitty fairy tale book dictates.

Fucking disgusting.
It's fucking sickening, isn't it?

danm999

Governments need to target their efforts at a critical, concentrated problem: feral males in feral communities.

Indeed Mark. I even heard about such an individual who assaulted someone at a Hungry Jacks and then nearly ran over a Channel 7 reporter.

Jintor

sounds like the lnp is self-destructing over gay marriage

and ol bill still can't catch a break because he's a twit

god how rad would this past year have been if we had an opposition leader worth a damn

Fredescu

The Australian came out in favour of it today for exactly that reason. "It’s time for the matter to be dealt with by the national parliament, given the “sea change” in attitudes and laws in kindred countries, as Malcolm Turnbull observed the other day. " Doling out equality like lancing a boil so we can get on with the business of dog whistling to neo nazis.

Yagharek

and ol bill still can't catch a break because he's a twit

god how rad would this past year have been if we had an opposition leader worth a damn

The only person acting as an opposition is Ludlam

danm999

I do really wonder it Abetz has gone off the reservation and is giving oxygen to a debate that the Coalition wants gone yesterday or is being told to bear the standard for the party faithful because more prominent elements in the Cabinet can't.

His abortion/breast cancer thing makes me think the former at the moment. That and suggesting front benchers resign over a conscience vote.

The motion proposed by people in your area is not a reflection of people in your area.

It's the politics of illegitimacy innit.

Polls, even those conduct by renowned left wing institutions like NewsCorp and CrosbyTextor, seem to peg things at about 70% support, 20% oppose, 10% undecided/don't care, but there's some sort of weird mental gymnastics going on for a lot of people about how the silent majority opposing it and the "well I asked everyone down at my local pub and no one went for it" test.

Dead Man

Jintor

i mean after all we successfully stopped single parents having kids because kids deserve the best start in life

we also stopped divorced parents having kids, because kids deserve the best start in life

we've stopped adoptions, because god knows adopted kids will have the stigma of adoption on them and kids deserve the best start in life

also I can no longer breed, because kids deserve the best start in life and as is self-evident having me, Abetz, as a father would only compel a child towards a life of crime and violence

Fredescu

i mean after all we successfully stopped single parents having kids because kids deserve the best start in life

Reminder, Abbott as health minister did actually ban an abortion drug until his own party voted to strip him of his ability to do so. Reminder, this same guy is now Prime Minister.

bomma_man

Not all tasmanians are like abetz. Hopefully the ones who vote for him change their minds and kick him out soon.

The best thing about voting below the line is being able to put that cunt dead last.

Although I'm from Denison and thus not a 'real' tasmanian probably.

Danoss

I have no idea if this or something similar has been mentioned anywhere, but an awesome RPG designer (and respectful christian) caused this to appear in my G+ feed:

Why can't we have traditional marriage, such as the Bible describes in Genesis 29?

Cue a few people jumping to get their thoughts in without bothering to understand what his point was. It is the internet after all.

Anyway, a quick google of Genesis 29 and you can't help but laugh (at first).

wonzo

Banned
Asia would see us as decadent if we embraced gay marriage: Barnaby Joyce

Agriculture Minister Barnaby Joyce has warned Asia could see Australia as "decadent" if same-sex marriage is legalised, potentially damaging negotiations and our trading relationship in the region.

While Mr Joyce says Australia should not necessarily take its cues or cultural values from its near neighbours, his comments echo fellow cabinet minister Eric Abetz' warning last week that Australia should not legalise gay marriage because no Asian country has done so.

"I think that what we have to understand is that when we go there [Asia], there are judgments, whether you like it or not, that are made about us and they see in how we negotiate with them whether they see us as - whether they see us as decadent," he said.

cant believe theyre actually doubling down on this. lmao

Yagharek

I have no idea if this or something similar has been mentioned anywhere, but an awesome RPG designer (and respectful christian) caused this to appear in my G+ feed:

Cue a few people jumping to get their thoughts in without bothering to understand what his point was. It is the internet after all.

Anyway, a quick google of Genesis 29 and you can't help but laugh (at first).

As if the government would want people to keep stable jobs for 7 years.

As if the government would want people to keep stable jobs for 7 years.
On the other hand, an IR environment that allows an employer to apply a unilateral change in remuneration conditions like Laban did is the stuff of Liberal party wet dreams.

* Irrelevant aside*

I never understood what was meant in the description of Leah being "weak eyed". I mean, if it's a reference to the older sister having poor eyesight, okay, sure, in the days before spectacles that might be a pretty bad disability and I could see why he'd be pissed, but at the end of the day he's getting a wife, not buying a horse. In the days of polygamy, most guys were lucky to even get even the one because the rich guys soaked up all the single girls.

I have seen translations that render the phrase "delicate eyes" rather than weak, which makes a lot more sense. It's hard to know if it's a post hoc rationalisation though.

JC Sera

So one of my seminar leaders recently wrote a piece in The Age arguing that due to low levels of faith in the political system that it should be made illegal for politicians to lie.

I think he makes a good argument.

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/time-to-tweak-political-pinocchios-noses-20150701-gi21rl.
Reading this all I can think of its not the politicians lying that made me lose faith in the system, but more both parties voting in human right violating shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom