• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredescu

CJR5CZsUwAAzzDx.png

Also there was that time that an ex rugby league player became a senator and threatened to stick his finger in the bum of the Prime Minister.

And the ex olympic swimmer who told a tennis player to go back to where he came from.

And then it was lunch time.

Rubixcuba

Banned
CJR5CZsUwAAzzDx.png

Also there was that time that an ex rugby league player became a senator and threatened to stick his finger in the bum of the Prime Minister.

And the ex olympic swimmer who told a tennis player to go back to where he came from.

And then it was lunch time.

Cant wait for this arvo will bring!

bomma_man

Wow, citizenship being contingent on sporting conduct? Who would have guessed Dawn Fraser is crazier than Pauline Hanson?

It is not the first time Fraser has made controversial remarks about race. In 1997 she said she was sympathetic to the cause of Pauline Hanson and considered standing for Hanson’s rightwing One Nation party in the 1998 election. At the time she said of refugees: “We’ve got a lot of problems in our own country and we should be looking at our own first, before looking overseas.”

i guess dawn should've gone back to scotland when she stole that flag

Jintor

what's so racist about telling people to go back to where their parents came from anyhow? is that racist? is it racist to talk about where people's parents came from as if it invalidates their lived experience? to imply they're somehow not australians? is it racist to be a huge racist person oh i guess it is. i guess i dawn fraser am a huge goddamn racist and i can't see it because I'm Not Racist But is in full effect. good times

i really hope lazarus is just making fun of Tones for threatening to shirtfront putin, but somehow I doubt it

i really hope lazarus is just making fun of Tones for threatening to shirtfront putin, but somehow I doubt it

At least, being a former rugby player, he actually knows what he's talking about, and it's in pursuit of a good cause. CSG mining really should be banned, period.

JC Sera

The cynic in me is reminded of the the gruen transfer's coverage of the last/or one b4 election
when kevin rudds publicist is recounting the story of when kevin was caught at a strip club and thought, thats it, his career is over

and then gets calls the next day that rudd is more popular than ever

some very cynical part of me thinks that this maybe engineered, and not inspired

edit: bless the backburner

The cynic in me is reminded of the the gruen transfer's coverage of the last/or one b4 election
when kevin rudds publicist is recounting the story of when kevin was caught at a strip club and thought, thats it, his career is over

and then gets calls the next day that rudd is more popular than ever

some very cynical part of me thinks that this maybe engineered, and not inspired

Had the same feeling here. The language he uses is exactly the same as always, you learn nothing new and nothing about it seems natural or off the cuff. Same stump speech with a pretty average attempt to make it go viral.

At least he has worked on his presentation, we almost believe he believes it.

DrSlek

The NBN website has been redesigned for the second time this year, at a cost of $1.5 million each time.

It's possibly the only progress being made in regards to our communications infrastructure.

Omikron

It ends? http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...s-labor-leader-backfires-20150709-gi8e7p.html

Anyway, this clearly isn't about Shorten. It's about the existence of unions in general and trying to uncover general practices that the public would find unsavory enough to weaken them as a political force. I think.

Yeah basically, watching a bit now, the guy questioning Shorten seems pretty disorganised and ... I am not sure what his points are.

Anyway, this.
https://twitter.com/MitchellToy/status/618975904153251840

Fredescu

Yeah basically, watching a bit now, the guy questioning Shorten seems pretty disorganised and ... I am not sure what his points are.

I have to admit I don't have the faintest idea how this will play with the public. I also have no idea what they will do with the findings, if any. Libs to use it as justification for some anti union laws I guess.

wonzo

Banned
I have to admit I don't have the faintest idea how this will play with the public. I also have no idea what they will do with the findings, if any. Libs to use it as justification for some anti union laws I guess.
last commission into unions ended up with absolutely nothing to show for it and i can't see this one being any different

e: i mean, they completely failed to get the scalps of rudd & gillard so their last hope is with shorten but that'd just end up giving the labor party a good reason to dump an unpopular leader

what makes it even more hilarious is the turc isnt even looking into kathy jackson, the corrupt unionist that helped start the whole thing lmao

Abbott: "We need to strengthen our institutional arrangements so that the kinds of things we've seen highlighted at the royal commission can't happen in the future"
http://m.heraldsun.com.au/news/brea...r-industry-bodies/story-fni0xqi4-122743511058

senahorse

I like how we are just over a year out from an election and it still feels like the Coalition are in opposition, how many more royal commissions or audits will we see before the next election, and if Labor get in are they just going to do the same back?

I like how we are just over a year out from an election and it still feels like the Coalition are in opposition, how many more royal commissions or audits will we see before the next election, and if Labor get it are they just going to do the same back?

Bill Shorten - Opposition Leader
Tony Abbot - Opposition Opposition Leader

Jintor

i don't hold much hopes for labor's whatever conference seeing as most of the stuff making headlines in terms of proposals are all pretty much 'let's be the liberals'

Fredescu

I like how we are just over a year out from an election and it still feels like the Coalition are in opposition, how many more royal commissions or audits will we see before the next election, and if Labor get in are they just going to do the same back?

Every time the liberal party comes into power they do a RC into unions. It doesn't seem to go both ways, but I'm not sure there's an obvious target for the Labor party to return the favour.

senahorse

Every time the liberal party comes into power they do a RC into unions. It doesn't seem to go both ways, but I'm not sure there's an obvious target for the Labor party to return the favour.

They don't care anymore but I would like Labor to do one on NBNco, especially considering they more or less refuse to answer questions to the Senate. Then there are also multiple questions that need answering regarding immigration but I guess there would be blood on both hands there and Labor has essentially been towing the line anyway. /wishful thinking

hidys

Things we've learned from Shorten's testimony:

1. Political donation laws need to be reformed.

2. Shorten could have been more militant I guess, maybe? I guess the jury is still kind of out on this one.

danm999

I wonder if Barnaby Joyce has considered if we had passed same sex marriage earlier those inscrutable Chinese would never have wanted to build their big old coal mine in our decadent gay farmland.

Bernbaum

Shorten looks like such a rubbish option. Albanese has said he's no longer interested in the leadership. Does that just leave Plibersek?

I can't Tony anymore.

danm999

Shorten looks like such a rubbish option. Albanese has said he's no longer interested in the leadership. Does that just leave Plibersek?

I can't Tony anymore.

I mean, he might mean it, he might not. It's not like it was said this week for no reason.

Jintor

i want wong just to see the fucking aneurysms the right would have

asian lesbian, that's three things they can lose their collective shits over and expose themselves as the fucked up pieces of shit they are

pity she's in the senate not the reps

danm999

asian lesbian, that's three things they can lose their collective shits over and expose themselves as the fucked up pieces of shit they are

Abetz was halfway there last week with the comments about her daughter.

danm999

He said it this week relatively unprompted? Hmm. Could mean something might be up within the party.

I'd go for Plibersek. Or Burke.

I'm thinking its to cover Shorten's Royal Inquiry business given there inevitably would be (and was) voices even from Labor backgrounds calling for him to step down. Since Albo was the near victor last time around, he'd be a natural point for those unhappy to rally behind.

Of course, he could also be pretty fed up with Federal politics and want to keep his head down. After the past few years I seriously couldn't blame him.

hidys

She'd be my pick too.

Shandy

But the problem with debating with those kinds of people is that they spout such nonsense that it's impossible to argue against them because you get stuck trying to parse their attempts at logic.

Probably worth a watch just to see Bernardi pretend that he believes in science. Well... science against gays, anyway.

Yagharek

Australian Water Holdings, BHP, Rio Tinto, Fortescue, Australian Christian Lobby, News Ltd, IPA, Phillip Morris, Chamber of Commerce and Industry.

Abetz was halfway there last week with the comments about her daughter.

He said what now?

Wong is probably one of the most articulate of the current Labor lot, but being a Senator is probably the only real argument against her. Would be funny to see the LNP meltdowns as a result.

Wayne Swan would probably be the best of the safe options. He's only considered damaged goods if you're functionally illiterate like the entire LNP.

danm999

He said what now?

Just the usual "deprived of normal mother and father heterosexual" marriage business and Wong pointed out that blocking gay marriage isn't stopping a situation where same sex couples are raising children, using herself as an example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom