• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JC Sera

If that was a twitter controversy then no.
Oh don't worry he wrote a full letter
Its titled "Dear Muslima"
Oh god, I just looked that up. Why would he say that?
Because hes a bit of a racist & sexist fuckward and the atheist community, even if its not a belief system, has some pretty bigoted biases & a circle jerk insular sense of community. But it is moving towards a better place, as long as you don't go on reddit.

At least he apologised a couple of years later, so there is that.

senahorse

haemeRZKetAjve1qPw0jzd84S2tLjEDaa7q5rFcIB9U=w1274-h956-no

And taxes on cigerettes are a good idea for two reasons. One is that there is evidence to show that it reduces rates of smoking and two is that it ensures that the costs to our health system which smoking cause is payed by those who actually impose the cost.

I understand that this is regressive but it is still IMO far more equitable than forcing everyone to pay more tax or cut spending in other areas just to pay for the health cost of smoking.

The fact that you mention the U.S is interesting for a number of reasons. The first is that U.S smoking rates aren't that much lower than Australia, in fact given drop that occurred after plain packaging I wouldn't be surprised if after this year the situation is reversed. It may already be the case since I didn't have figures for 2014.

Though I am surprised by the low smoking rates in America I'm not sure I understand why that is. In any case it is irrelevant because high taxes and plain packaging work.
I can only speak about what I've seen, but raising taxes has had a greater effect on reducing smoking rates than plain packaging has.

Fredescu

All this Goodes stuff is making me want to see Pilger's Utopia. Anyone done so recently? Is there an easy way, on some streaming service or something?

The last chance, double secret probation, Bronny sorry tour is out in full force today.

Couldn't happen to a nicer person.

All this Goodes stuff is making me want to see Pilger's Utopia. Anyone done so recently? Is there an easy way, on some streaming service or something?

http://beamafilm.com/utopia/#.VbmzHWAaAud

You need to subscibe, $5.99 per month, first week is free. So if you don't want to get charged cancel the sub before the week is out. Or rent it for $4.99 for 2 days.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Adam Goodes situation is seriously ridiculous. We're beyond the point of coded language and dog whistles here. I thought Charlie Pickering's bit on it would've contained the dumbest examples, but it gets worse:
The mother of a 13-year-old girl who called Adam Goodes an “ape” during the AFL’s Indigenous Round in 2013 has blamed him for the booing he continues to endure from AFL crowds.“If he hadn’t have done it he wouldn’t be having the problems he’d be having now,” she told Fairfax. “He probably should apologise because maybe he should have picked his target a little bit better."The player called on the media not to vilify her and refused to press charges.“It was the way he carried on on the ground that made them do what they did.
Not content with asking all Muslims to denounce terrorists or admonishing Aboriginals for encouraging dole-bludging, racists have moved on to blaming minorities for the actions of white dominated institutions.
On Wednesday the row spread into another code after the former Brisbane Roar and Wellington Phoenix goalkeeper Griffin McMaster tweeted: “Adam Goodes calls Australia Day invasion day … Deport him … If you don’t like it leave.”

He deleted the tweet, but not before facing a spate of critcism. He later tweeted: “If anyone is offended. My apologies.”

McMaster, who now plays for Heidelberg United in the Victorian Premier League, was stood down by his club just before its FFA Cup match against Broadmeadow Magic on Wednesday night.
Give Peter Dutton the power to send Aboriginals back to where they came from ASAP imo.

Danoss

Adam Goodes situation is seriously ridiculous. We're beyond the point of coded language and dog whistles here. I thought Charlie Pickering's bit on it would've contained the dumbest examples, but it gets worse:

That article made my blood boil. Stupid people have a tendency to bring that about. Benefit of the doubt could have been given for the original word used in the incident, but things said after they've had time to reflect on things remove that entirely. Fault could be admitted and an honest apology issued, but a bigot's feelings have been hurt, so:

“If he hadn’t have done it he wouldn’t be having the problems he’d be having now,” she told Fairfax. “He probably should apologise because maybe he should have picked his target a little bit better.

A completely unprovoked attack you say? How awful that must have felt.

Not sure if it's just me, but I feel like this sort of reaction has been happening with an increased frequency. Someone says or does something that would rightfully upset another. When the expected reaction occurs, the offender is shocked and appalled at what is being said or done to them. Who does this person think they are?

I picture someone throwing a ball at a brick wall and then admonishing the wall for daring to fire the ball back at them.

They often attempt to justify this point of view like this:

“She’d only turned 13 five days beforehand. She was technically still 12. She had no idea what she was saying.”

No, she was technically 13. She'd been alive for over 13 years at that point, which is how age is determined. If counting figures as simple as these are challenging, engaging in the debate could be considered unwise.

Of course, pointing towards the girl's age is meant to diminish the significance of her role in the incident. If she truly had no idea what she was saying at the time, one would believe that high school will not be kind to her. Teenagers aren't known for their restraint.

“Picking on a 13-year-old child I thought was absolutely ridiculous and having her questioned by police without an adult being present was absolutely disgusting on the part of himself and the AFL,” she said, adding: “It was the way he carried on on the ground that made them do what they did.

If that actually happened, it's a matter for the police. Fingers can people pointed at Goodes and the AFL, but any actions taken by the police is on them. No amount of on-field behaviour of anyone can make them do anything. It does read as though they're trying to show that they've suffered too—look what they've done to this poor 13 12 year old girl, it's just awful.

“If he hadn’t have carried on like a pork chop it wouldn’t have mattered. I don’t think he should retire, he should man up and just take it if he wants to play the game.”

Here we are again. If only he hadn't reacted to being called an ape, everything would have been fine. How dare he.

Sports stars in particular do need a thick skin, because people will always yell things at them. Even if the crowd doesn't, most opposition players will, particularly in team sports. There's nothing inherently wrong with crowd members yelling things out, lots of them can be funny. What's wrong with the classic, ‘so-and-so is a wanker!’? If Goodes or anyone else reacted to that, the above would be applicable and I'd agree with it. Yelling out something you might say to a friend and even they wouldn't laugh it off, keep your trap shut or live with the consequences.

There's only a few words in the above quote I like – “carried on like a pork chop”. No idea where it originated, but I've heard it all my life. The rest could be easily turned back on the piece of work who used it: you should ‘man up’ and just take it if you want to play the bigot.

I'm not sure what has brought this about, but it is very ugly. What is wrong with everyone? This country is becoming more and more well-known worldwide, but more for things like this than others. Australia has been the origin for many great things, but our main exports appear to be bigotry, selfishness and stupidity. Will we soon need to add a qualifier to our country of origin?

‘I'm not a racist but... I'm Australian’.

Arksy

I wish I knew what I was talking about when it came to sports. All I know is that someone's getting booed because of either racism, or because he's acting like a pillock. I don't really know what's true here because if I'm honest I watch AFL once in a blue moon and couldn't name more than six players to save my life.

Dryk

I wish I knew what I was talking about when it came to sports. All I know is that someone's getting booed because of either racism, or because he's acting like a pillock. I don't really know what's true here because if I'm honest I watch AFL once in a blue moon and couldn't name more than six players to save my life.
He's getting booed by varying numbers of people for being a pillock/because it's the cool new thing to do. It also just so happens that he's an Aboriginal and there's a ton of white guys that are just as much of a pillock but aren't getting nearly as much shit. Some people have suggested that there might be a racially motivated reason for that and other people have said that's stupid and we shouldn't even consider it.

Arksy

Or nothing that numerous other players do without issue

Ok sure. Apparently there are numerous indigenous players in the AFL, why are people only picking on this one guy?

As I said, I don't really care much for sports. From what I've seen over the years players routinely get targeted for pretty abysmal things. Especially when it comes to race. What happened to Andrew Symonds was pretty disgusting.

Ok sure. Apparently there are numerous indigenous players in the AFL, why are people only picking on this one guy?

As I said, I don't really care much for sports. From what I've seen over the years players routinely get targeted for pretty abysmal things. Especially when it comes to race. What happened to Andrew Symonds was pretty disgusting.

I suspect because he dared to be a black man who demanded to be heard not just seen. Pretty sure the same thing happened when Niki Winmar lifted his shirt to point out he was black.

When Goodes pointed out the girl who called him "Ape", he was the only one who seemed to give a damn about her well-being. The same clowns who filled inches going after her are now going after him as they just can't seem to accept that Goodes' lived experience challenges theirs.

It's clear that not everyone who boos is doing it because they are racists, most are probably just jumping on the bandwagon or even just following the crowd to no look out of place. But make no mistake there is a nasty racist presence in football crowds. It's there in AFL, very definitely in League and hell I've even heard it at the Rugby. Any black man that dares to stick their neck above the crowd, their neck is ripe for chopping for these bigots. If Goodes is forced out of the game due to this it will be to the eternal shame of each and every person who booed him.

Also is slightly less depressing news, there are now 15 more incidents between just 2005-2006 where Bronny-copter claimed secret committee business to write off her trips. A commentator made an interesting point earlier, the entirety of the moderate Libs in NSW have hung her out to dry, Hockey, Morrison etc... she barely has a friend left in NSW. And they say the factions are tough in the ALP!

Also just to round off the day, she explicitly said earlier she wasn't instructed to apologise by the PM, but of course she was!

Most Aboriginal players don't make themselves heard on issues of racism, and especially don't confront people on the matter. Goodes did. It doesn't matter how respectable or accomplished he is, that scares a lot of racists.

On Wednesday the row spread into another code after the former Brisbane Roar and Wellington Phoenix goalkeeper Griffin McMaster tweeted: “Adam Goodes calls Australia Day invasion day … Deport him … If you don’t like it leave.”

Wow, that's some incredible stupidity. Impressive.

wonzo

Banned

because he called it out and as we all know, reminding tru blu (white) dinky-di ozzies that racism exists is the worst thing ever

fe:
I5ZnpYy.gif

Arksy

Ok, time to backtrack. This guy has been getting constantly booed for 18 months, by every opposition team. Jesus holy fuck I didn't realise what was going on, hence my reluctance to actually make a fucking argument one way or another. I thought he might just have been getting booed over the last two games or so because of something he did...but this is fucking insane.

Like I said, I don't know dick about this except for what I've read here and seen in the news on various sources. After reading some more and seeing some comments I'm pretty disgusted and actually feel ashamed for the way some people are acting. It's fucking disgusting.

Dryk

Like I said, I don't know dick about this except for what I've read here and seen in the news on various sources. After reading some more and seeing some comments I'm pretty disgusted and actually feel ashamed for the way some people are acting. It's fucking disgusting.
Like many such incidents the response is way worse and more telling than the incident in question ever was

hidys

So it seems like the former Tasmanian Greens leader Nick McKim will replace Christine Milne in the Senate.

Probably a good pick.

danm999

Conversations like that need to happen so we can get past the don't rock the boat she'll be right passivity of many Australians in regards to racism and inequality.

danm999

Boy this whole Bishop thing just could not have been handled anymore poorly by the government. It was bad, but decisively, effective leadership could have stemmed the bleeding.

This is just a comedy of errors. Tony may end up losing his job at this point after all the missteps.

Arksy

Boy this whole Bishop thing just could not have been handled anymore poorly by the government. It was bad, but decisively, effective leadership could have stemmed the bleeding.

This is just a comedy of errors. Tony may end up losing his job at this point after all the missteps.

As I've said about a dozen times, if she doesn't go the government probably will.

There is little the public dislikes more in politics than seeing their hard earned money being pissed down the drain by people who think they're better than eveveryone.

Now I don't watch a whole lot of AFL, I'll watch the Magpies and even GWS, but I had no idea Adam Goodes is the dirtiest player to ever have played the game. I'm surprised any player who tags him comes back alive. You'd think even that fact would penetrate the local League/Union reporting and this menace would have been forced out of the game, maybe jailed.

Or maybe...

danm999

As I've said about a dozen times, if she doesn't go the government probably will.

There is little the public dislikes more in politics than seeing their hard earned money being pissed down the drain by people who think they're better than eveveryone.

Yes the pertinent question from all this has definitely shifted from "will Bronwyn Bishop's speakership survive this" to "will Tony Abbott's Prime Ministership survive this".

My guess is she'll resign in the next few days but if it's left until Parliament I suspect at least some Coalition MPs may flirt with the idea of crossing the floor on the No Confidence movement and from there we're in free fall.

Arksy

Yes the pertinent question from all this has definitely shifted from "will Bronwyn Bishop's speakership survive this" to "will Tony Abbott's Prime Ministership survive this".

My guess is she'll resign in the next few days but if it's left until Parliament I suspect at least some Coalition MPs may flirt with the idea of crossing the floor on the No Confidence movement and from there we're in free fall.

Bishop could have potentially survived one poor decision. She would've taken a bit of heat and the government would've taken a mild bruise. The second that multiple bad decisions came out and showed that she was a serial abuser she should've been dropped immediately. Trying to save her skin has already damaged the government. The question is now just how big of a hole they're going to dig for themselves.

No amount of pprobations will suffice. She needs to go. Now. I say this as a lib who doesn't want to lose the next election.

danm999

Bishop could have potentially survived one poor decision. She would've taken a bit of heat and the government would've taken a mild bruise. The second that multiple bad decisions came out and showed that she was a serial abuser she should've been dropped immediately. Trying to save her skin has already damaged the government. The question is now just how big of a hole they're going to dig for themselves.

No amount of pprobations will suffice. She needs to go. Now. I say this as a lib who doesn't want to lose the next election.

I suspect the exact same sentiment is being shared behind closed doors on the backbench. Malcolm Turnbull is certainly twisting the knife with those tweets.

hidys

I suspect the exact same sentiment is being shared behind closed doors on the backbench. Malcolm Turnbull is certainly twisting the knife with those tweets.

That whole thing made me realize something.

Did Turnbull have an actual reason to be in Geelong other than to white ant Abbott/Bishop.

That whole thing made me realize something.

Did Turnbull have an actual reason to be in Geelong other than to white ant Abbott/Bishop.

Probably just fancied a jaunt. To add more fuel, the MP he was visiting was Sarah Henderson, the very MP who a couple days before that went against the PM and implored him not to defund Solar and Wind wihtin the CEFC She's also probably first against the wall come the next election and the coming great rush to the "left" in Victoria.

Not only is there going to be a no confidence movement against Bishop, every MP who isn't in the Coalition is basically gonna start defying her authority at every turn to make their point, making the lower house unmanageable. Labor isn't gonna let this one go until Bishop goes.

This shit is why we need an independent speaker who isn't picked by the PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom